Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking on Amazon for a bridge for the Misty Valley Cascade Division... I know that German engineering is considered some of the best in the world, but... is the Faller bridge kit really designed for modelers with over 1400 years of experience?

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.26.00 AM.png

A semi sad day for motor racing in Australia. After 50 years of competing in the "Great Race" at the Bathurst 1000 "Over the Mountain" today, the Holden Official factory "Super car" racing team ended it's last race with a victory. That's the last vestige of our Homegrown make that will ever race again as that team. And a Ford Mustang was second. Holden is now completely defunct. Ford is still in the market with fully imported Mustangs, trucks and pickups.

Been looking on Amazon for a bridge for the Misty Valley Cascade Division... I know that German engineering is considered some of the best in the world, but... is the Faller bridge kit really designed for modelers with over 1400 years of experience?

View attachment 118497
Careful, you might find a Mummy inside the packet. ( Some models have been known to lie on modellers shelves or tucked away in other containers for inordinately long periods, you know.)

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 71°. Looking for a high near 90° later today. A little after sunset, another norther is supposed to arrive and tomorrow's high is only going to be 70°, then back to the mid-80's until Friday.
Spent more time than I originally planned, updating and copying files to an external hard drive yesterday, in preparation for the new machine. So far, 203 Gb have been copied and less than 10 GB remain. Then comes the big event when I plug it in for the first time. But first, I have to catch up on some outdoor chores that I ignored yesterday.

Scrambled eggs and bacon this morning Flo. I'm keeping it simple today.

Thanks to everyone who commented or reacted to yesterday's photos; Patrick, Troy, Jerome, Garry, Joe, Alan, Phil, Sherrel, Tom, Tom O, Chad, Chet, Guy, Curt, Rick, James.

I didn't spend all day in front of the computer, the train shed got a little time as well. I made quick work on the Walther's Pizza kit, which isn't going to be a pizza establishment after I add signs and interior.
10-18-20 006.JPG

10-18-20 007.JPG

The fact that I liked the factory colors really sped up the process.
This kit had extra parts, in fact I think that the whole kit is used for another structure with just the picture on front and the instructions being different. All walls are used with both versions except the front wall.
10-17-20 006.JPG

Nice extra as I can now use this as a backdrop structure elsewhere.
Here are a few shots of the other two structures that I plan on using to finish up that side of the block.
10-18-20 002.JPG

10-18-20 003.JPG

10-18-20 005.JPG

Both are Smalltown USA structures which I will describe later.

Tom - Nice job on the coupler conversion on those hoppers.
Terry - This computer definitely has Win10 on it. Thanks for that link, I went there to check it out and like what I saw.
Guy - I know that you favor the cold weather more than I, but 19°F in October is just too unreasonable.
Nice progress on the Walther's structure. It is my intent to tone down the crossing markings. As to the lack of pictures on Friday, sometimes that's just the way things turn out. I had others but deemed them less than desirable.
Joe - Those are all of the reasons that we chose to just get a prescription drug supplement instead of getting Part D. Although I don't know if that hole exists in our plan. Humana is rather good with information, after you sign up. Tier fives are still a bitch though.
Sherrel - Thanks for the recommendation on the software that Terry posted about. I happen to like most museums except art museums.
Ray -
Who always drew the short straw for official taster?
We always went to the same place, a Southern Fried Chicken/home cooking place called Babe's. You may recall Burlington Bob refer to it many times. It was his favorite when he lived in this area of Texas.

Have a great day guys.

Morning, everyone! I had to wake up early to get the wife off to work. Made sure she has a lunch and a tea to go; I'm a good *itch. She'll be working a 12 today, so I'll be supper-time cook and dish washer, as well. Guessing it will be fried steak and onions, or something else easy.

Sherrel - You are right! GE engines are ugly! They look like some kinda modular K-car made out of Lego. GE engines are definitely not what lured me into the hobby. Here's a photo of one, taken a couple of weeks back:

CN 3904_10-14-2020.jpg

It's only 15°F out on the range today, so it will be another inside hobby day! Not supposed to warm up much either. We are into a mean, lingering cold front! It is giving us an early winter. - I might have alot of Halloween candy left over if it don't warm up.

Chet - You have a fantastic layout. I really enjoy your photos! That restaurant interior is excellent, but, I see the rear area is squished in the same way as Willie's photo from a while back. There seems to be a scale issue with some structure manufacturers.

Willie - I look forward to your post's every morning! Thanks for taking the time to take the photos and make the good write-ups!

Hughie - That looks like a steep grade coming off the railway crossing, but, the semi made it. It's a good photo, anyway you look at it. Thankyou!

Greg - I had another look at the mine layout photo you posted. Well done on the weathering; and thanks for posting a photo.

I wanted to experiment with lighting angles on my store, so I could see if the pot light idea would work. So, I placed an LED desk lamp above the structure to see effect. - It seems to work, but, the WS light will have to be placed right above the pot-light hole to have the desired effect. I hope there is enough light spread from one of the WS stick-on LED's; we are talking a distance of 2" before reaching the printed Walthers backdrop:
StoreFront_10-17-2020 (1).jpg

I'm going to have to experiment with the WS stick-on before I seal up the roof. - As you can see, that is a hobby shop backdrop that Rebecca is inspecting; but, I think it can pass for a hardware store. It's hard enough to make out what the products are. Push comes to shove, I'll get another backdrop.

Getting long, I suppose.
Thanks for the likes and comments on my posts. Have a great day, everyone! Guy

Last edited:
Good morning y'all. Happy Sunday. 36° and sunny...

Wife spent the day recovering from her "immunizations". Hopefully today will go better for her. Tomorrow, she starts the expensive meds...I really hope they are worth the cost.

R&A Warehouse 10-17-2020 Under construction..jpg

This is the Walthers "Heritage Furniture" background building. On my layout, it will be known as Rogers & Albany Warehouse. It has room to spot two 40' box cars, although inexplicably one is off spot, due to door placement. OTOH when the cars are spotted, no one can see the doors.

Sun Hull # 154  SS Gulf Dawn later USS Big Horn a Q- Ship in WW2.jpg

No decent train photos this morning so we go back to the late 1930s for a photo of Sun Shipbuilding hull # 154, the S.S. Gulfpride purchased by Gulf Oil Corp. (Are they still in business)? During WW2 the Maritime Administration transferred the ship to the Navy, and it became the USS Big Horn, a "Q" Ship used in Anti-Submarine warfare. After VJ Day she was returned to the Maritime Administration, then transferred back to Gulf.

Humana is rather good with information, after you sign up.

Willie:
That's well and good, as long as they cover what you are taking, (that works), However, If I sign with them, for instance, and they don't cover what I'm taking, the onus is on me and my doctors to find an "approved" substitute. The not so subtile message is we know what's best for you and you will take what we offer and like it. I have to hang out tomorrow, waiting on the HVAC guy to come in for the annual furnace set-up, so I will shop around to see what I might find that better fit our needs. There is a possibility that the wife and i may end up with different drug supplement providers next year, depending on what I find.....

As you can see, that is a hobby shop backdrop that Rebecca is inspecting; but, I think it can pass for a hardware store. It's hard enough to make out what the products are

Guy: The interior looks great! I was thinking "Convenience Store", not hobby shop, but Hardware would not be out of the realm of illusion. Just add the "friendly Home Hardware" dude in his red vest assisting Rebecca, and you're set. GE power has always been awkward in appearance, but I sort of like 'em. I even managed to get 110MPH out of P-42s on the Harrisburg line.

David: Thanks for the concern. For what it's worth, The wife has been undergoing treatment for seven years now, RA is an Auto-immune disease that requires much more than a course of vitamins to releive a few aches and stiffness. BTW, not only does she take C&D, but also B series, E and Folic Acid daily along with the Rx meds.

In that case a Minister of Religion could be handy to have around.

Ray: That's funny! ;)

Howdy ... Still on cell phone to post. Pardon my typos.

Sherrel ... when we rode the Cog Railway, it was not as bad as you described. They have invested big dollars to upgrade Tracks and trestles.

Chet ... great photos of your layout.

Willie ... I like your layout and buildings.

today’s adventure ... I will post a photo I just took this morning with the iPhone directly into this form. You can see the Empire Builder running on the lower level. On the upper level a red CB&Q GP7 is hauling empty stock cars.

BE6F7C4D-75B4-4455-B67A-0FE677B51732.jpeg

Willie: That's well and good, as long as they cover what you are taking, (that works), However, If I sign with them, for instance, and they don't cover what I'm taking, the onus is on me and my doctors to find an "approved" substitute. The not so subtle message is we know what's best for you and you will take what we offer and like it. I have to hang out tomorrow, waiting on the HVAC guy to come in for the annual furnace set-up, so I will shop around to see what I might find that better fit our needs. There is a possibility that the wife and i may end up with different drug supplement providers next year, depending on what I find.....

Having raised a disabled child and have a wife go through cancer treatment, as well as having my own age related health issues I know a bit more about the US health care system that I'd care to. I was in an airport someplace years ago checking work e-mail and happened to hear two women talking. They had been to some insurance company's quarterly meeting or some such thing and one was telling the other (I swear to God) how big her bonus was going to be for denying so many claims. Two possible courses of action occurred to me at that time: 1: Beat the bragger to death with my laptop. 2: Move as far away from them as possible and still be able to hear the gate announcements. I chose #2, but #1 sure would have been satisfying! This is why I get so amused at people who go on and on about Death Panels and rationed care. You already have a Death Panel. Your insurance company. Your care is already rationed. By your insurance company. Facepalm. Eyeroll. Various derogatory comments, etc. etc. etc.

Over on the tools forum I mentioned resuming work on a craftsman kit I had halted some years ago. A job change was most of the reason I stopped. A new management position and a ton of new stuff I had to pick up fast, plus a ton of travel. The other reason was an error in the kit itself. There are two pairs of cargo doors like these:

Old Cargo Doors.JPG

You'll notice the lower panels are wrong. The pattern with both doors closed should be a V style. I fiddled with these for a while and finally gave up & called the manufacturer. I told him that either I was an idiot or something was wrong. I told him I'd accept the idiot designation if he told me how to fix the problem. He laughed and told me "No, some of the early kits had parts made from a CAD drawing that had a mistake. Yours must be one of those." He then immediately sent me new parts. A great guy and great service, but my momentum was broken and the other time pressures I had resulted in a long break. So I'm back at work, and assembling these new doors. They are a very interesting piece of fabrication. Many kits use cast metal or plastic windows. Those can look too chunky. These are made of what he calls resin impregnated paperboard. They are very thin. The instructions say paint them first, the paint will strengthen them, then assemble them. This stuff is really thin. You have a top and bottom component that the window material sandwiches between. The completed assembly is only a little under .003" thick. It makes for very nice looking windows & doors. I also found that in spite of the warning on handling them they are reasonably strong. Here are the new pieces ready to be painted:

New Doors.JPG

I'm not sure how often I'll be working on this kit, but if I can get sufficient sessions to justify one, I'll move this to its own thread.

Good morning. 27 degrees with some very light snow this morning. The main part of the storm passed to the north of us. Another flop for the forecast.

Greg- A late Happy Birthday. 548.gif

Ray - Sad to hear that Holden will be out of racing. General Motors is having its problems. Was watching a super car race today and was wondering with Holden gone, what else is racing besides the Ford, Mustang?

Willie - Nice photos. Let us know where you get your store interiors.

McLeod - Like the photos. The store front is sweet. Is that interior part of the kit?

Joe - I certainly hope that your wife gets better. Like the photos. Some of those tankers were still around when we were in the Indian Ocean and around Java when I was in the Navy. I can also remember seeing some old American LST's floating around. I have the same background building and came to the same conclusion on the door placements.

Garry - That is a great photo. Shows so much action in a single photo.

Alan - I admire your self control and also self preservation for not injuring that woman. I can't complain myself as the total charges for my shoulder replacement came to a bit over $58,000 and it only cost us around $600 out of pocket with out Medicare supplement.

I was planning on doing a lot of switching yesterday afternoon, but not having run trains in so long I spent most of the time cleaning the tracks. Had one locomotive running around the pain line with a Walthers track cleaning cars and a couple more cars in tow with dust monkeys.

thumbnail_20201017_144523.jpg

While they were running around the main line and passing sidings, I got the bright boy out as well as the vacuum cleaner working on the sidings. Took around an hour and did manage to shuffle a few freight cars around. Here are a few layout photos.

thumbnail_20201017_145149.jpg
thumbnail_20201017_144817.jpg
thumbnail_20201017_144250.jpg
thumbnail_20201017_144153.jpg

thumbnail_20201017_140743.jpg

The last photo is the train running around with the track cleaning cars.

thumbnail_20201017_143944.jpg

Later

Last edited:
McLeod - Like the photos. The store front is sweet. Is that interior part of the kit?
Yes, the backdrop is a printed card included in the kit. Walthers markets the kit as a hobby shop.

I know it gets old, talking about the same thing; but I'm an old man, enjoying childish amusements playing with figure locations in a model store. I'm having a lot of fun!
StoreFront_10-18-2020 (1).jpg

I need something to put in front of Rebecca and Hardware Harry, as they are discussing something. Thinking a new lawn tractor or a table saw; something that will instantly turn a hobby shop into a hardware at first look. I'm looking through my collection of 1/72 implements and stuff, to see if I can find something that will help me. A scratch-build session may be in order.
Maybe a checkout stand would look nice on the right-hand side, with a Mary-Jo figure sitting on a stool behind it. I have 3-4 of these figures, mostly unpainted ones:
StoreFront_10-18-2020 (2).jpg

I just feel that if you are going to try something, then do the best that you can. This store is important, as it will be more or less out front on the layout.

Yes, the backdrop is a printed card included in the kit. Walthers markets the kit as a hobby shop.

I know it gets old, talking about the same thing; but I'm an old man, enjoying childish amusements playing with figure locations in a model store. I'm having a lot of fun!

I need something to put in front of Rebecca and Hardware Harry, as they are discussing something. Thinking a new lawn tractor or a table saw; something that will instantly turn a hobby shop into a hardware at first look. I'm looking through my collection of 1/72 implements and stuff, to see if I can find something that will help me. A scratch-build session may be in order.
Maybe a checkout stand would look nice on the right-hand side, with a Mary-Jo figure sitting on a stool behind it. I have 3-4 of these figures, mostly unpainted ones:

I just feel that if you are going to try something, then do the best that you can. This store is important, as it will be more or less out front on the layout.
Guy - Just a suggestion, cut off the bases on those Atlas figures. It will lower their overall height a bit and won't look as unsightly. I carefully use a sharp single-edge razor blade. Of course afterwards, you have to glue them into position. I use Scenic Accents re-positional glue from Woodland scenics, or Elmer's White glue for a more permanent hold.

Having raised a disabled child and have a wife go through cancer treatment, as well as having my own age related health issues I know a bit more about the US health care system that I'd care to. I was in an airport someplace years ago checking work e-mail and happened to hear two women talking. They had been to some insurance company's quarterly meeting or some such thing and one was telling the other (I swear to God) how big her bonus was going to be for denying so many claims. Two possible courses of action occurred to me at that time: 1: Beat the bragger to death with my laptop. 2: Move as far away from them as possible and still be able to hear the gate announcements. I chose #2, but #1 sure would have been satisfying! This is why I get so amused at people who go on and on about Death Panels and rationed care. You already have a Death Panel. Your insurance company. Your care is already rationed. By your insurance company. Facepalm. Eyeroll. Various derogatory comments, etc. etc. etc.

Alan, so sad but unfortunately for us too truthful. I worked in Consumer Debt Collections and retired from it. Medical collections was our forte and we heard all about the insurance issues from the consumer/patient/debtor side. In 20+ years in the industry insurance issues not patient refusals to pay were over 50% of the debt turned over to collections from the medical industry. Not just hospitals or clinics for humans but dental, Chiropractic and animal hospitals. Our insurance industry is a joke. If this offends anyone, find out more about your insurance coverage and the company you pay to.

Main cause, lost claims. Many in the insurance industry have personally told me the rule was 10% of paper claims were put into a shred basket prior to entry. That way there is no record.

TomO

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started with chores then completed the decline (right side) towards ground level using WS risers. After that I plaster clothed the risers. Unfortunately the curve is only a 26.5 inch radius. I'm not super happy about that. I calculated I need about 20' (1:1) of rock face for both below and above the track. While I was working on the layout the wife called me downstairs to show me the pantry project that I was informed I'm doing tomorrow. o_O Sometimes I love being married.

It will be a short modeling week since Wednesday I'll be gone all day (newest skunk being fixed) and meeting a friend from SC. Saturday we're helping daughter remove carpet from her master bedroom and hallway in preparation for installing vinyl planks in 2 weeks.

Sherrel- That's a heck of a incline/decline.

Troy- Hope the reflux got better. I have issues with it myself.

Willie- Nice looking structures.

Guy- Nice 1:1 photo. The interior and light look good. I use a tiny dab of clear caulk to hold my figures.

Joe- Great looking building. Interesting facts and story on the S.S. Gulfpride.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....rainy and seasonal here in this part of Wisconsin. Good day for a fire in the fireplace, have a few snacks, cocktails and watch the Packers play in the later afternoon game. Go-Pack-Go. We just receievd our position on the Packer waiting list for season tickets...we're at 18,234 on the waiting list.

Thanks for your comments on the photo of the New River Mine on my layout. Here's another photo from a different angle.

New River Mine.jpg

This is a better view of the loading side of the mine structure. The three indicator light fixtures over the tracks leading into the loading hoppers show the position of the turnouts so the locomotive engineer knows which way the the turnouts are positioned to push the hopper cars into the loading area. The mine is near eye level on the layout which required the indicator lamps and the fixtures are modified Tomar products with 12 volts lamps installed. The CM&N Railroad main line is in the lower right side of the photo.-Greg

Ordered two N scale decoders for my two Bachmann 70 Tonner locomotives. The decoders will replace the original Bachmann decoders which are extremely inexpensive and do nothing to reduce motor noise.

Bachmann 70 Tonners Consist.jpg
The 70 tonners will run in a consist tail to tail. Small CM&N logos will be added to the sides of the locomotives.-Greg

Tomorrow is a must day for the railroad.....!!!!!

Speaking of insurance....we use our insurance company to pay for the damage done to our cabin by the neighbor placing five bullets into the sliding glass door and the side of the cabin. We submitted the bills as we proceeded and within days checks arrived in the mail from our insurance company. Our into insurance company worked out an agreement with the offenders insurance company to cover the damages in full. No deductibles. I bet the offenders may have a bit of a problem getting their insurance policy renewed.

Great photos Chet, Gerry and Willie.....I always enjoy your photos and modeling work.

Curt....a 26.5 radius isn't too bad, I wish my minimum was 26 inches.

That's all folks....

Greg

###################

1603049569105.png

A photo taken several Christmas seasons ago. This shows the relative height of the mine above floor level. The woman is our in-law niece who is Parsi which is a religious sect found in India. She is a former writer for the Chicago Tribute, she now writes for major magazines on famous restaurants and chefs.-Greg

View attachment 118522
An N scale farm tractor would make a good HO scale lawn tractor. One of the old ones, in green...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back