Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie -- I am with you on the desktop. I have a laptop that my daughter uses (and I use when we travel). But I like my iMac much better. I found a 40" 4K monitor (TV) for $220 at COstco a month ago so got one for my work computer, which the company paid for, and one to hook up to my iMac. I like being able to see a ton of stuff on the screens.

Unfortunately they give me a laptop for work -- I have 2 other monitors hooked to it that I paid for that make it useful but it is still less powerful than an equivalently priced iMac (at least until they gave everyone $250 to upgarde their home offices however they wanted due to Covid so replaced one of my own screens with the one they paid for).

Windows 10 is a lot different. I have it installed on an old 2008 Mac Pro, which I mentioned in an earlier post, and while not a Windows guy, I knew how to get around in Win 7 and earlier, having been running Win 7 in a virtual machine for tax software purposes and other stuff like that, and having done enough Windows with Win 7 or XP or earlier to know what I was doing. Can't easily find anything I need on Windows 10. Finally got my video card I put in it the other night all upgraded driver wise so that it works well. PITA.

Afternoon all. Can I get a BLT and a Mountain Dew? Finally caught up. Not a lot going on in the train room. It seems like other things just take priority. Did get a new phone during "Prime Day". It takes nearly a full day to get everything set up the way you want.
Greg - Happy Birthday
Willie - I to have a 23" monitor, all-in-one computer. I connected a second monitor but couldn't get used to it not being touch screen.
As always some great photos from everyone.
1363 at Apple Ridge.jpg

Good afternoon. Been busy again taking care of the last few items to get ready for winter. We did have some snow last week, just enough to let us know that winter is on the way. Today there is a winter weather advisory out bit looking at the radar, most of it is to the north of us. Rain was changing over to snow with a temp at 35 degrees. Had the thermocouple go out on the heater out in the shop and had a heck of a time finding one to replace it. The last thing to do is to replace the mowing deck on the tractor with the snow plow. Kept the mowing deck on so I could chop up the fallen leaves into mulch. Not many left after the high winds we had. Think they're over in the next county.

Curt - Looking forward to seeing your progress. That bridge will add a lot of interest to the scene. Did good with the bridge. The steamer looks good on it.

keN
- I really like the weathering on your cabooses (cabeese?) Nice work.

Sherrel -
That photo of the roundhouse is quite interesting. Can-t quite figure out the need for two turntables.

Joe - Ya done good with the photo of all the Alcos and the PC electric.

Ray - Like the MRL photo. Looks like the Crazy Mountains near Big Timber, MT.

Karl - Nice photo from the porch.

Greg - The photo of the mine is outstanding. Nice shot.

Tom - Nice photos of the hoppers. The detail is excellent.

Willie
- Enjoyed your photos as usual. Sure like those road markings. Unfortunately too modern for the era I am working with.

McLeod - The Walthers store is coming along nicely. I had one similar to it that I was coing to use for a car dealership until Walthers brought out their model.

thumbnail_20200111_151602.jpg

Being that the weather is crappy, I think I will venture down to the train room and do some switching. Here are a few photos from the archives.

20181030_105439.jpg
20181030_105408.jpg
thumbnail_20190402_143309.jpg
IMAG0533.jpg
thumbnail_20200209_145811.jpg
thumbnail_20200209_144014.jpg
thumbnail_20200209_144030.jpg

Later

Good evening Y'all. 51° and cloudy with drizzle. Rutgers U's "Swampside Weather Station",reported 1.69" of rain since midnight. Today's been quite a day. Since noon, I have been to the Cardiologist, for a follow up with favorable results. Went to pick up the wife's new Rx and had stickershock when we picked up her RINVOQ a treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis. One "covered" 30 supply instantly puts the recipient into the Part D Donut Hole.
($302.37). It is what it is, but when we spoke with the Person from MedImpact, they told us our share was $70.00, for #30. In addition, she had to have a Shingrix (Shingles) Vaccine prior to taking the RINVOQ. Time to look into alternative Part D Plans, eh?

View attachment 118421
Penn Central MU train at Marcus Hook, PA. Adjacent to the Main Line, is the Sun Oil Co. #10 Plant.

Boris; Indeed, the cost of that medication it's probably enough to cover your grocery bill for the whole month !?
In the past I've heard that taking vitamin C and vitamin E at the same time is supposed to be very good to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis. In fact awhile back I was working part-time at a liquor store there was a fellow that used to come in whose hands were quite crippled up and I mentioned that to him and he started taking it and in a while he could move his fingers and so on a lot more easily.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent the morning doing lawn camp. I trimmed back bushes and trees while the grandkids cut the grass, edged and weed wacked. Then after getting cleaned up we watched the movie Meg then college football. In about 30 minutes I'm taking them for haircuts. They didn't seem to want a buzz cut from me. :rolleyes:

Chet- Thank you. Great layout shots.

Greg- Happy Belated Birthday. Nice mine scene.

Tom- Very innovative solution on the flats. It all looks great and very nice modeling.

Joe- I hope everything works out. I'm sorry to hear about the pharmacy issues.

Willie- Great looking vinyl signage.

Guy- Nice looking build.

Sherrel- Nice photo of the MKT locos.

Dave- Nice layout scene

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon gang!
Back home now, and pleased to say the trip was mucho enjoyable!. The trees were at peak color, the scenery could not have been better! Stopped on the way back in Ridgley W.VA to scope out the Western Maryland Scenic's shop. Couldn't get in, new fencing surrounding the place, but I did gets some pics (Will post later) Truck did great on the trip. 375 miles out and back on 1 tank of gas, still have 1/4 tank left, even after running at 75 mph through the mountains!

Greg,
HappyBirthdayTrain.jpg

Catch y'all later, got so much stuff to put away!

Man, I took many a hack to my left hand. Dad finally went to school and said I was left handed and they might as well stop trying to change it. On the plus side I can pretty much do everything with either hand, except write legible, still must use left hand.

I remember other kids writing left handed and getting wracked. then getting yelled at for crying.

I finished up grade school in 1966, high school in 1970 and college in 1973. Of the 32 kids who graduated 8th grade with me 29 had graduated college by1976 and the school was using that stat to ask for donations, many other graduating years had similar stats. Still have that letter. My wife did the full 12 years in Catholic school and saw many and experience much of what we have written about here.

memories
TomO

I remember other kids writing left handed and getting wracked. then getting yelled at for crying.

I finished up grade school in 1966, high school in 1970 and college in 1973. Of the 32 kids who graduated 8th grade with me 29 had graduated college by1976 and the school was using that stat to ask for donations, many other graduating years had similar stats. Still have that letter. My wife did the full 12 years in Catholic school and saw many and experience much of what we have written about here.

memories
TomO
I'm a few years ahead of you, graduated HS in 1963. I truly believe one got a better education in Catholic school than in public. I transferred from Catholic HS to public HS and skipped an entire year. I graduated at 16, in retrospect, way to young.

Good afternoon. Been busy again taking care of the last few items to get ready for winter. We did have some snow last week, just enough to let us know that winter is on the way. Today there is a winter weather advisory out bit looking at the radar, most of it is to the north of us. Rain was changing over to snow with a temp at 35 degrees. Had the thermocouple go out on the heater out in the shop and had a heck of a time finding one to replace it. The last thing to do is to replace the mowing deck on the tractor with the snow plow. Kept the mowing deck on so I could chop up the fallen leaves into mulch. Not many left after the high winds we had. Think they're over in the next county.

Curt - Looking forward to seeing your progress. That bridge will add a lot of interest to the scene. Did good with the bridge. The steamer looks good on it.

keN - I really like the weathering on your cabooses (cabeese?) Nice work.

Sherrel - That photo of the roundhouse is quite interesting. Can-t quite figure out the need for two turntables.

Joe - Ya done good with the photo of all the Alcos and the PC electric.

Ray - Like the MRL photo. Looks like the Crazy Mountains near Big Timber, MT.

Karl - Nice photo from the porch.

Greg - The photo of the mine is outstanding. Nice shot.

Tom - Nice photos of the hoppers. The detail is excellent.

Willie - Enjoyed your photos as usual. Sure like those road markings. Unfortunately too modern for the era I am working with.

McLeod - The Walthers store is coming along nicely. I had one similar to it that I was coing to use for a car dealership until Walthers brought out their model.

View attachment 118468

Being that the weather is crappy, I think I will venture down to the train room and do some switching. Here are a few photos from the archives.

View attachment 118469View attachment 118470View attachment 118471View attachment 118472View attachment 118473View attachment 118474View attachment 118475

Later
Looks like the layout had some rain too. All freshly washed.

Good thing this place is 24 hours

Cuppa ginger tea, please. Yep... too much pizza with the in-laws (sis level) last night. I came home fat and sleepy. First slept in the chair despite having a docu on the British Spitfire on the telly. Off to an early bedtime. Now the acid reflux is doing its thing.

If you get to LA anytime, Sherrel, the Angel's Flight lenticular is/was operation again. Wife and I saw it in the movie La La Land, then rode it just because. (Movie production spent enough refurbing it to make it operational, the city spent the rest to get it to pass inspection.) Also, there's a good BBQ joint across the street in the shopping plaza/food court with outdoor seating.

TROY - Seems as if whatever is going a round. I have been up for justabout 2 hours alredy.
Making a note on the Angel's Flight for the next time I have to go to the Kaiser downtown facility-
I usually take the train - cost is $6.00 one way with senior discount. With $3.00 gas that won't get me 30 miles up the road - Ha!
I'm going to go find some donuts this morning and a cuppa black magic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back