Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, I did the strict Catholic school thing for the 1st 8 years. I understand!
I went to twelve years of private Catholic schools where every young lady wore a uniform, and the nuns were all ugly!

Tom and Willie (and others, (self included), who survived the experience:
Sister Saint Statue.jpg

Sister Mary Martha.

Got up and wrote 1500+ words on book 6
Forgot to join the breakfast club.... but when the words flow, I sit and type them. Don't complain when the muse shows up. Now only another 48,000 words or so to go to put this one to bed.

Oh, and I bought a toaster. Figured since the wife made all that apple butter, I better consume some of it. Which means bagels. The Amish donuts might need a rest for a while.

I never got the ruler. The rope with the knots a couple times across the back of the legs. Mom or dad, never questioned the nuns, if they said you were wrong, you were. Best education you could ever get.

TomO
Had a priest in eighth grade that taught only boys. He had a three foot piece of fiberglass fishing rod. Genuflect and he smacked you across the thigh several times. At least the welts were under the pants and parents didn't normally spot them and ask questions. In grade school, when the nuns got you with the ruler, some goody-goody classmate usually told their parents about your punishment, who then told your parents and you got a repeat session from them..
I agree about the best education.

Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours in the train room today getting the area prepped for the bridge install tomorrow. I did do a quick test fit today and had to trim down the brick piers on either side. Not sure why because it wasn't needed on the last layout. The footers will not be as tall as I thought they would be yesterday. The goal tomorrow is to get the bridge permanently installed. Wish me luck, it's fragile and I usually don't do well with fragile :eek:. The bridge opening is about 30".

Jim- Beautiful car. Are you the same Cuda that's on the Kalmbach forum or was?

Toot- Another great looking car.

Patrick- Get the shot. My Mom never had the Chicken Pox but is recovering from a case of Shingles now. Not fun.

Willie- Nice colors on the structure. While in HI both daughter and son went to private school. It was a real drain on our budget but when we arrived there we were told white kids are picked on and since my daughter had blue eyes and blond hair it would be especially hard on her. I actually found HI to be a fairly racist state. More than anywhere else I have lived.

Joe- Neat photo.

Guy- Neat photos also.

20201014_103724.jpg

20201014_135827.jpg

20201014_135842.jpg

20201014_135951.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....cloudy and windy here in Wisconsin.

Just came home after 5 days at the cabin. Getting ready to close the cabin for the season and turn off the water and drain the sytems. We left the water on even and he pipes charged with water without heat since the low temperatures before we return to the cabin is only 29 degrees which isn't cold enough to allow the pipes to freeze. The ground is warm enough to keep the pump house protected and the cabin is on a concrete slab and the slab is a heat sink and that protects the interior piping from freezing. Besides only two nights with low temperatures. Low daytime temps in 30's along with evening temps in the low 20's is the signal to drain the systems. We can always carry water up during the winter.

When we arrived home there was a nice surprise in the mail box from a fellow Forum member. I've post some photos of the present in the near future.

Looking forward to the layout tomorrow along with catching up with the Forum. First order of business is to clean the layout room and vacuum the carpet tiles. Then I have several projects I'll finish of start for the first time.

McLeod: Nice photo of the covered hopper and I agree that the photo shows a mild, natural weathering job on the car. Did you climb upon the car for the last photo of the roof?

I went to a public school next to private 1-8th grade school. The poor kids had to stand in line after recess and to go back into the school in line to resume classes with the girls in one line and the guys in the other line. Real strict. We played them in 8th grade softball and their team had Nuns for coaches. They had great softball fast pitch pitchers with one a girl who was a starting pitcher. Our school was small a typical county school with only four rooms, four teachers and eight grades. My 8th grade class had 13 kids and was the largest class in the school that I can remember. The original name of the school was Whiskey Corners Grade School and was constructed in 1926 and the school's name was changed shortly before I started in 2nd grade at the school. Just down the road was a "House of Ill Fame" that also had the name Whiskey Corners Tavern. So much for a history lesson.

I like the RPO subject column on the Forum.

Have to run..............

Greg

#######################

McLeod: Nice photo of the covered hopper and I agree that the photo shows a mild, natural weathering job on the car. Did you climb upon the car for the last photo of the roof?
Yep, Greg. I've been a bad boy and have been climbing up onto rail cars for photo's. It all started when I wondered what was on top of tank cars. - That nun would spank my bum with that stick, if she only knew.

Here is a couple more of that same covered hopper:
09-26-2020 (3).jpg

CovHop_WFRX 403224_09-26-2020 (14).jpg

My goal is to have files on all aspects of railroads; top to bottom. I never hurt or damage anything when I'm there, and I make darn sure I'm not packing a spray can in my kit.

PATRICK and TROY- Check the JUNE issue of MR Helufa GN layout.

And if I may- Went back and found the page with the poetry.
THERE ONCE WAS A MAN FROM NANTUCKET
WHO KEPT ALL HIS CASH IN A BUCKET
HIS DAUGHTER ,NAMED NAN
RAN AWAY WITH A MAN
AND AS FOR THE CASH-NANTUCKET

Phil

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 56*F, calm and dark in my central MD neighborhood. (Easier for me to press [SHIFT+8] than it is to type [ALT+0176] 😉)

Patrick - I echo what Curt said, and urge you to get that Shingrix vaccine! Having the varicella-zoster antibodies in your bloodstream makes you susceptible to shingles, even if you don't remember having had chicken pox.

Haven't posted in here the past few nights because I've just been too dang busy! On days when I do my treadmill routine, I lose ~2 hours of otherwise free time - and by the time supper is over, I simply don't have any energy left. And on Tuesday, my afternoon was taken up by a visit from my home insurance claims adjuster and a roofing contractor to evaluate wind damage that was done to our roof during Hurricane Isaias. Looks like we'll get a new roof in the deal, so no complaints from me! But first our solar energy company has to temporarily remove their panels from the roof so the contractors can do their work, and they are always slow to send any technically qualified people to our property when we request support.

As far as mrr activity, I've finished weathering my three new "Athearn-like" bay window cabeese: a Tangent I-18 and two Athearn Genesis ICC models. This time I used Pan Pastels to eliminate the fresh-from-the-box sheen on the sides and ends, though I used regular flat Tamiya paint on the roofs:
3_ICC_Cabeese_weathered.jpg

Even though I'm happy with the results, they now make all of my I-12's look like crap! The reason for this is that I neglected to install the protective screens on the windows that came in their boxes, and now all my I-12 boxes are gone [along with my chance of ever getting any replacements for those screens]. Their lack of screens becomes really obvious when they are viewed beside any of my ICC cars. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to scratchbuild something with a screen-like appearance that fits over the I-12 windows; maybe spray some Dullcote over clear acetate, cut to size, and paint the outer edges in flat aluminum...[?]

Down to the last 6 of I think 45 grain cars. Two are painted and going for decals and four need the coupler box rebuilt for Kadee's then paint and decal. Then a test run at the club before doing the weathering on them.
Next is to finish decal and weather number 4 of 4 TTX long runner. Many more projects to finish now that I have time due to the weather turning.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 56*F, calm and dark in my central MD neighborhood. (Easier for me to press [SHIFT+8] than it is to type [ALT+0176] 😉)

Patrick - I echo what Curt said, and urge you to get that Shingrix vaccine! Having the varicella-zoster antibodies in your bloodstream makes you susceptible to shingles, even if you don't remember having had chicken pox.

Haven't posted in here the past few nights because I've just been too dang busy! On days when I do my treadmill routine, I lose ~2 hours of otherwise free time - and by the time supper is over, I simply don't have any energy left. And on Tuesday, my afternoon was taken up by a visit from my home insurance claims adjuster and a roofing contractor to evaluate wind damage that was done to our roof during Hurricane Isaias. Looks like we'll get a new roof in the deal, so no complaints from me! But first our solar energy company has to temporarily remove their panels from the roof so the contractors can do their work, and they are always slow to send any technically qualified people to our property when we request support.

As far as mrr activity, I've finished weathering my three new "Athearn-like" bay window cabeese: a Tangent I-18 and two Athearn Genesis ICC models. This time I used Pan Pastels to eliminate the fresh-from-the-box sheen on the sides and ends, though I used regular flat Tamiya paint on the roofs:
View attachment 118356

Even though I'm happy with the results, they now make all of my I-12's look like crap! The reason for this is that I neglected to install the protective screens on the windows that came in their boxes, and now all my I-12 boxes are gone [along with my chance of ever getting any replacements for those screens]. Their lack of screens becomes really obvious when they are viewed beside any of my ICC cars. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to scratchbuild something with a screen-like appearance that fits over the I-12 windows; maybe spray some Dullcote over clear acetate, cut to size, and paint the outer edges in flat aluminum...[?]
Ken, can you find cabeese that would have the screens? Get them, remove the screens from the box, then resell them as “complete, except for package of window screens”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back