Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Today in the train room I put in the cardboard lattice work and plastered around the 2 bridge end supports and glued the the bents onto the bottom of the bridge. They wont be long enough since I used them on the last layout (2.5 in. high) and now it will be about 3.5 inches, so I need to build "concrete" footers for the 6 legs. Tomorrow is painting and scenery before mounting the bridge. The PSX-AR is supposed to be delivered today (2 days early) :).

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again. Good luck with the leg brace.

Joe- Thank you for the Navy Birthday wishes. It looks like that pumper does an amazing job.

gseritt- Nice job on the hull.

Willie- Great looking building. It has real potential.

TomO- Excellent layout shot.

Guy- Interesting lumber industry buildings.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thank you, it's good to once again be back on the form.

I also want to mention about Navy day, which I forgot to say anything about yesterday..

Glad to see that your new layout is taking shape and I'm sure that's satisfying to you. As far as the bridge supports being too short from prior layout that's a creative way to solve the problem and probably not too far out of the norm. You possibly could even use a smaller height section below the actual support as a base for the larger support.

Take care and thanks for the wishes for my knee brace, I'm hoping for the best too, I don't think it can do any harm.

A little irritating, I posted to Boris yesterday in relation to his reply to me and somehow my post disappeared ??

I thought the site was supposed to save all of the posts that somehow were erase.

DAVID -- Are you referring to Post #347?
It appears that your reply was typed into the "Quote" and not as an addition to the "Quote"?
The same was done twice? If this is what you are talking about as disappearing?

That was confusing to me as well until I clicked on the "expand" part and saw that you HAD made a reply?

Afternoon All,

Today in the train room I put in the cardboard lattice work and plastered around the 2 bridge end supports and glued the the bents onto the bottom of the bridge. They wont be long enough since I used them on the last layout (2.5 in. high) and now it will be about 3.5 inches, so I need to build "concrete" footers for the 6 legs. Tomorrow is painting and scenery before mounting the bridge. The PSX-AR is supposed to be delivered today (2 days early) :).

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again. Good luck with the leg brace.

Joe- Thank you for the Navy Birthday wishes. It looks like that pumper does an amazing job.

gseritt- Nice job on the hull.

Willie- Great looking building. It has real potential.

TomO- Excellent layout shot.

Guy- Interesting lumber industry buildings.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thank you, it's good to once again be back on the form.

I also want to mention about Navy day, which I forgot to say anything about yesterday..

Glad to see that your new layout is taking shape and I'm sure that's satisfying to you. As far as the bridge supports being too short from prior layout that's a creative way to solve the problem and probably not too far out of the norm. You possibly could even use a smaller height section below the actual support as a base for the larger support.

Take care and thanks for the wishes for my knee brace, I'm hoping for the best too, I don't think it can do any harm.

DAVID -- Are you referring to Post #347?
It appears that your reply was typed into the "Quote" and not as an addition to the "Quote"?
The same was done twice? If this is what you are talking about as disappearing?

That was confusing to me as well until I clicked on the "expand" part and saw that you HAD made a reply?

Thanks Sherrel, that may well be the case though I'm not sure, as when I also just replied to Curt I noticed that the same thing happened even though I touched the post reply button it seems that I have to do it twice to get the posts actually show up here on the forum ? Possibly that is an idiosyncrasy due to the fact I'm using my cell phone to communicate with rather than an actual computer ??

Last edited:
but realtor thinks there'll be a bidding war.
Patrick: Not for Nothing, Realtors always think, (actually hope for), a bidding war. Home prices are up, because of the scarcity of homes on the market, and rates are really low, because of all the economic uncertainly and unemployment, so most buyers are looking but not buying. if the property is over valued to begin with, it's likely to fail to appraise for mortgage purposes. Rare that prime properties are still on the market this time of year, as prime buying season is past. Would be interesting to see why the property is over valued vs. comp sales. Wouldn't hurt to check local property and assessment records, they are available to the public.

. I imagine it will be very frustrating if they are unable to find the required water, when they need it.

Guy: The FDNY is aware of that. The first "Superpumper" dated to the 70s, and was rated at 2000 GPM, which is pretty standard now, but was huge in comparison to the average engine which putout 750 GPM or 1000 GPM. That version had four Satellite pumpers, for water supply. It is not anticipated that the new Superpumper will be a first response company, but like the Marine Units, will be held for special assignment. It's almost like a fireboat on wheels. The Satelites will be designated among regular engine companies within the Five Boroughs.

I don't remember the name of the original building built in the 1800's as a tobacco warehouse, but Joe knows it and might see this and tell you.

Dave and Willie: Helm Tobacco, located in Helmetta, NJ, (Named for Etta Helm, General Helm's Daughter). Helmetta is a Village in Middlesex County, hence Atlas calling the structure Middlesex Manufacturing. Helmetta, was a traditional Industrial Revolution Era, Company Town, with Company Housing, and Company Store. Many of Atlas free standing residential structures are similar to the homes surrounding the Helm complex.

Joe - Your idea is the most simple!

Sherrel: Glad we have that resolved. ;) That's good news about your wife. She needs to know, that the post op rehab is intense. Otherwise, Nothing to fear.

"Say Boris:, Thanks for all the info, also glad to know you're doing a lot better. As far as the inflammation goes Turmeric & c
Curcumin help to reduce and relieve it. This is one of the supplants I take which does seem to offer a fair amount of relief. It may well help you too ?

I also take, 'muscle tech protein powder' to help my left leg muscles relax, which tend to cramp up a bit due to my not getting enough protein in my diet it seems."

David: Not for nothing, I have had more success with exercise. I did discover the cause of my swelling is most likely due to varicose veins. By increasing the height of the pillows I use to keep my leg elevated, last night, I woke up this morning with virtually no swelling or pain in my left leg. I also noticed three veins sticking up just under the skin, running across the shin bone. Once I was up and about, the swelling returned, and I ewas unable to see the veins. Guess that's another can of worms to deal with...getting old sucks!

Curt: Thanks.

SA-31 at Helmetta February 26 2009 (1) (002).jpg

This is a photo of SA31 Eastward, through Helmetta on 2/26/2009, coming off the Freehold Secondary. The Helm Complex is in the immediate background. The prototype of Middlesex Manufacturing, is the shorter structure behinf the covered hopper at the rear of the train. BTW The one story structure with the wide door boarded over is the powerhouse.

View attachment 118295
This is a photo of SA31 Eastward, through Helmetta on 2/26/2009, coming off the Freehold Secondary. The Helm Complex is in the immediate background. The prototype of Middlesex Manufacturing, is the shorter structure behinf the covered hopper at the rear of the train. BTW The one story structure with the wide door boarded over is the powerhouse.

Kind of reminds me of a photo I took back in July, here in Berryville, Virginia. I actually thought this one was a NS Heritage unit, but it doesn't match the heritage paint schemes. I guess its just a newer paint scheme. Although N&S passes through my little town quite often, I'm more used to seeing the basic black paint. I'm more of a B&O fan myself.
DSCN1467.JPG

Thanks Sherrel, that may well be the case though I'm not sure, as when I also just replied to Curt I noticed that the same thing happened even though I touched the post reply button it seems that I have to do it twice to get the posts actually show up here on the forum ? Possibly that is an idiosyncrasy due to the fact I'm using my cell phone to communicate with rather than an actual computer ??
DAVID - Quite possible that due to your wireless connection that you should give it a few more seconds to appear before doing it again?

Kind of reminds me of a photo I took back in July, here in Berryville, Virginia. I actually thought this one was a NS Heritage unit, but it doesn't match the heritage paint schemes. I guess its just a newer paint scheme. Although N&S passes through my little town quite often, I'm more used to seeing the basic black paint. I'm more of a B&O fan myself. View attachment 118297
Oh, you're talkin' 'bout the Train. Silly me.

1970 Chrysler Valiant VG hardtop. Australian Manufactured, first with the 245" "Hemi 6" (Semi hemi really, not full hemi). '71 (last of model) got the 318" small block as well and most sought after. Smaller body than the Dodge you're showing.

Kind of reminds me of a photo I took back in July, here in Berryville, Virginia. I actually thought this one was a NS Heritage unit, but it doesn't match the heritage paint schemes. I guess its just a newer paint scheme. Although N&S passes through my little town quite often, I'm more used to seeing the basic black paint. I'm more of a B&O fan myself. View attachment 118297
That's one of their rebuilt dash-9s. Among other things, they replaced the DC traction motors with AC traction motors.

And we're back. LOL

Supposed to be breezy (Gusts to 25mph) and 88° today.

Got my flu shot yesterday and they did it a bit differently. Alcohol wipe and a foam bandage with a seal in the middle. Shot then given through the seal. Nurse said it designed so they don't need new gloves for every person. The city has a couple of flu shot events every fall. They don't cost us employees anything. Now the wife is after me to get the shingles vaccine. Heck, I never had the chicken pox, even when my siblings and later my kids had them. I have the antibodies that say I had them and the same with the mumps. Siblings had them, I didn't. The kids were vaccinated so we never tested whether dad is still immune.

Joe: Tax and appraisal records for the house the kid put an offer on shows the asking price exceeds many of the 3-bedroom 2-bath homes on the same block. The county records is how I beat the county down on my annual appraisal. House at the open end of the cul-de-sac I live on is the mirror image of mine (that is reverse image) and actually a little larger due to a 4 season sun room on the back. When their appraisal is less than mine I argue it with the county. My lot is larger due to being at the turnaround end and rightfully a bit higher there, they always think my house is worth more. Tax records always show property value and structure value.

Good Morning All. Clear and 55°, going up to 91° later today. Tomorrow's high of 72° will be at midnight tonight, then another Norther hits for two days.
Took my wife to her orthopedic surgeon yesterday for her final visit. He told her that she was 100% well and that he did not want to see her again. This surgery recovery is about three weeks ahead of her first one. She really put a lot of effort into this one and she did not need any help from the rehab center.
Here's a few pictures of the Halloween decorations down the road from me. Most people out here do not decorate pastureland!
10-14-20 001.JPG
10-14-20 002.JPG

10-14-20 007.JPG

The one above may be in poor taste since a nearby young nearby neighbor woman committed suicide behind that antiquated goat house in 2014. The current owners may not be aware of that though.
10-14-20 004.JPG

And of course, the "gatehouse" that they built. It's actually just a very fancy well house for a water pump.
10-14-20 006.JPG

The round object in the bottom of the window is a security camera. I did get a call later asking what I was doing when it was pretty obvious to begin with, and I pointed out that all pictures were taken from the public road out front!

What's the special today Flo? Sausage, country gravy and grits. OK, give me a double helping.

Thanks once again for the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post; Karl, Guy, Tom O, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Patrick, David, Curt, Dave, Phil, Tom, Joe.

The doctor trip yesterday cut into my train shed time, so I didn't get a whole lot accomplished. I only worked on Shultz's Garage. I installed all of the acetate on the eight windows and two doors and installed them. The two overhead doors got painted and installed with temporary adhesive. Later I can remove them and alter them if I want open or half-open doors.
10-14-20 009.JPG

10-14-20 010.JPG

I also assembled and glues the roof, although not on the structure yet. As is, it is just pieces of a white styrene sheet. I have several sheets of surplus self-adhesive tarpaper roofing that I painted black and started affixing.
10-14-20 012.JPG

I'll complete that today. Overall, I am not adding mortar wash as I want to give the appearance of a freshly painted structure with this one. Neither did I paint the windows because the color worked well with my brick color. The brick by the way, is Model Master Afrika Mustard from a rattle-can.

Sherrel -
Willie - that building is a monster! I'm not sure that I have seen one that large on a model RR before and I see that you are going to join two of them together? I might be tempted to modify that entrance door a little? It just seems too small for that large a structure?
Since the building is a replica of a real one, that door is what it is. A wider door has been thought of, I most likely have a few in the parts stash somewhere but I am not ready to tackle that project yet. Maybe in 2023!
Will have to see what direction that goes and I hope pretty quickly as she is hobbling more each week.
Is it just one knee or both? Hobbling persists for a few months after the surgery while the absolutely necessary rehab is taking place. And, they don't recommend doing both knees at the same time either.
Tom O - College was a real eye-opener for me as well. Prior to that, I went to twelve years of private Catholic schools where every young lady wore a uniform, and the nuns were all ugly! Then I went to college with the late Phyllis George (Miss America 1971), although I never had a class with her.
DCC slot cars. That should be real interesting. Sadly, I never had the money to indulge during the heyday of the 60's.
Joe - Thanks for the Helm Co information. I knew that you had given it before but I didn't remember their name.
Wow! 2000 GPM. That would empty my pool in 7 minutes. The local VFD's trucks only carry 350 gallons to begin with, and the supplemental county water truck carries 5000 gallons. Firetrucks from two different VFD's can get to my house in 7-8 minutes, the tank truck takes 22 minutes. Fortunately I have never personally needed them, but I have reported numerous localized grass fires and one arson related abandoned structure fire over the last forty years.

Everybody have a great day.

Tax records always show property value and structure value.

Patrick: Tax Records and Assessment work sheets are a home buyer's best friend. Especially if your Tax assessment is for 100% of market value like it is here in Jersey. They also do annual assessments here, so they are really close.

1970 Chrysler Valiant VG hardtop.

Ray:
Looks a lot like my Father - in -law's Le Barron, back in the day.

Jim: Nice 'Cuda.

That would empty my pool in 7 minutes. The local VFD's trucks only carry 350 gallons to begin with, and the supplemental county water truck carries 5000 gallons. Firetrucks from two different VFD's can get to my house in 7-8 minutes, the tank truck takes 22 minutes. Fortunately I have never personally needed them, but I have reported numerous localized grass fires and one arson related abandoned structure fire over the last forty years.

Willie: Just imagine how fast 5500 GPm would fill an empty pool. Speaking of which, if needed, your pool is a great water source. 7-8 Min is not really a bad response time, considering the rural nature. Garage model is moving right along.

I regret never having a camera with me during my numerous trips through Helmetta. The old company store housed a Restaurant, Sub shop, convenience store, where we would pause for coffee or lunch. The company houses were mostly demolished, but the "Helmetta Hose Company" station remained active. Two freights each way pass through, Monday to Friday, except Holidays. Today, it's a nice residential area.

RDG GP& 663 (Passener Unit) 10-03-1956.jpg

Well friends, yur probably wondering why I'm wearing a tuque-n-gloves this morning. That's because it's only 28°F and it snowed overnight, in my neighborhood. The guessers said it wasn't going to do that, but, low-and-behold! I'd bore you with a photo, but, it's still too dark outside for camera work.

Willie - Sounds like you have poor neighbor issues; maybe the fellow is not all there; in the head I mean. You have mentioned his weirdness in past posts. - Best to avoid close contact. We can't hand pick out neighbors.
My next door neighbor is a pot-smoking junkie; we avoid him at all costs. He's an A-hole. He's called the by-law officer on me twice, for small matters; like me burning my leaves and garden refuse.

Worked on my hardware store, but didn't take photos yet. I'll have some photos taken today.

Speaking of photos, the only ones I have today are of a covered hopper, taken a few weeks ago at the CN staging area. These hoppers are quite common in this area. I'm not sure what they are transporting, but, there are lots of these cars. I picked this one out in a line of about 100 cars:
09-26-2020 (1).jpg

09-26-2020 (5).jpg

09-26-2020 (2).jpg

I picked that car from the rest, because it seemed to be an older one, and I liked the rusted weathering. No other reason.

Have a good one; a dark, cloudy daylight is just beginning to light the way.

Hey der Dudes, lol
I'm running behind today ... Never reached the triple digit number yesterday - only 99° -
so we will try again today with 101° and intense sunshine!
Come on down, GUY, the water's fine!

Skim read this mornings posts - will try and remember to comment on some of them later on.
(IF ANYONE CARES)

I hope TROY is out for donuts - make mine glazed please?
I will grab some small Burger King soft breakfast burritos with egg, cheese, and sausage - I think three of them is in order?

Later gang!

Howdy

Our 9 year old iMac stopped working. Hard drive died. So, now I’m on the iPhone. I have not had a chance to see your recent posts. Hope to catch up soon.

Cheers.
Too bad you're so far away. On a 2011 iMac, HDD replacement is an easy thing. I would upgrade to an SSD while you're in there. The prices have dropped to the point it would be foolish not to.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1T...hild=1&keywords=1TB+SSD&qid=1602692911&sr=8-3
You would need a 3.5"-2.5" adapter-
Only thing is, you will need to download and use the Mac Fan app, otherwise the fans will run full-speed. The old HDD has a sensor for temperature that replacements will not have.

Last edited:
Good morning from the strange weather patterns in So. Central Wisconsin. It’s 57 now heading to a possible 70f degrees. Winds are constant at 15-25 mph but gusting this afternoon over 40. Did some yard things this morning, all furniture is stored and pillows wrapped up.

I started baking sourdough and French breads and I have the ovens till 4. Dinner tonight is grilled cheese, tomatoe, mayo and some dipping ketchup on fresh sourdough. A great comfort meal.

McLeod, you can posts pictures like that anytime for me. Very hard to find decent roof pictures and the weathering of the sides of the 2bay hopper is just great. Mother Nature sure has a way with things.

Willie, I did the strict Catholic school thing for the 1st 8 years. I understand!

Boris, another great picture.

To all others great pictures good posts. I don’t use a separate keyboard on my IPadPro and I don’t miss it.

Enjoy the day, a timer went off in the kitchen
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back