Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously == believe me I have looked it over pretty close in 4 years. Outside of a working number pad - the only shortcoming is not having a backlit keyboard; I have to turn on a lamp to see the keys or tilt the screen forward- then I cannot see the screen?

Are there any online operating manuals for it - I wonder?

I have just become used to opening an "online calculator" I have on the desktop when I need math.

Good evening all!
I hope that all is well with each of you. Started on the tugboat today. I got the hull glued together and finally got brave enough to attempt my first waterline hull cut (that was time consuming). I then sprayed it with rust-oleum camouflage earth brown. I let that dry and then drug a hobby saw and a wire brush across it a few times in attempts to simulate woodgrain. It'll definitely need more work but here's where I am so far. Y'all have a good night!
20201012_212902.jpg

A late Good Morning Everyone. Mostly cloudy and 68° here in North Central Texas. The norther hit around 0400 this morning but hasn't had much effect yet, other than to drop the temperature from 80° at midnight. Yesterday was quite warm at 95°, today will be only 78° later. Still no rain in sight. Our winter this year should be warmer and drier than average as the La Niña system over the Pacific Ocean comes into play.
Extra chore yesterday, when wife opened the front door, which we don't often use, and the deadbolt and latch would not line up after closing. Ground is so dry that some piers underneath the house have shifted. So out comes the 20 ton bottle jack and under the house Willie goes. Entryway is recessed a bit, thus the need to go underneath. Up it eventually went and an additional 3/16" steel shim later, all is good. Lower back is talking to me this morning as it is a little awkward operating that jack while laying down and twisted into position. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time that I do this, but the most recent adjustment lasted over three years.

How about a couple of breakfast tacos this morning Francine. Sausage, egg, potato and cheese will do. Salsa and OJ to go with them

Thanks everyone for the reactions and comments regarding my next build; Joe, Sherrel, Tom O, Garry, Chad, Karl, Jerome, Guy, Curt, Tom, Ken, Patrick.

Out in the train shed, I installed most of the Insta-Fence around D's Diner.
View attachment 118249
I still have a small gap in the corner that I need to measure and fill in. The base of the diner is still slightly bowed and I will glue it down after I thread the wires from the interior light through the base and the plywood deck. I have held off in order to remove it while I work on the surrounding scenery.
Over on the workbench, I assembled the four walls on Shultz's Garage. It is a simple kit to assemble as most DPM kits are. I am currently looking through my selection of paints to see which one will work best and differentiate it from the other two.
View attachment 118250
Meanwhile I also did a small bit of painting on two of the four bicycles that go with the diner.
Then it was time to run trains before taking my wife out to Red Lobster in celebration of ten days without the cane!

If you get a chance, check out Jim 68cuda's thread on the Walther's Motor Hotel. In post #12, he uses some vinyl decals for RR crossing signs painted on the streets. I have been looking for something like that for years, just never googled the right word combination. Turns out that the maker of them is sort of in my own backyard, in a suburb of Houston. I ordered some from them yesterday and in less than 90 minutes I had a USPS tracking number, yes on Sunday. I'll report back after I get them and try them out.

Dave - I thought that you had retired? Sorry that I couldn't make it out for the ribs this weekend, they did look appetizing.
I have built one of the two Middlesex Mfg. kits that I have so far. I intend to kitbash the second and enlarge the original one, but that project is still on the horizon. As far as making the structure itself, it was time consuming but not too complicated. The large walls needed some patience to properly glue together, and I glued two and waited overnight before adding the third to it. Then waited another day for the fourth and fifth small walls on one end. There's also a lot of windows although they are on separate sprues and easier to paint. Cutting and gluing the separate pieces of acetate took some time. I'll either locate or take another picture later today.
Tom O - It sure is a drag that you cannot go on your annual vacation this year. It does sound like a whirlwind event. You most likely made the right decision though.
Guy - Why did you decide to go with the Just Plug lighting system? I know that Greg and Chet like theirs, but they haven't convinced me yet, except maybe the streetlamps.

My wife tells me that her Dallas Cowboys won a game yesterday. They now lead their division.
View attachment 118243
I don't follow sports any more, but it looks like a pretty pathetic division if you ask me! Wonder how they get .300 for the Eagles?

Everybody have a great Columbus Day. Stay safe and keep your distance.
Willie- NFL, for stat purposes, consider a tie as 1/2 win & 1/2 loss. So 1.5 / 5 = 30%.

Good evening...still raining...and still in the 50s. Spent some time working on the background version of Walthers hardwood Furniture Co. Interesting kit. Typical of Walthers background kits I have additional parts, not required for assembly...and in this case I'm missing a few minor parts that are required per instructions. I took advantage of yesterday's relatively mild temperatures and threatening skies, to paint the exterior. Today, I installed the windows on the two side panels, then applied the plastic glazing to the inside of the windows with canopy glue. I'll finish tomorrow, after I run a few errands and have blood taken, first thing in the morning. it is absolutely crucial to finish and place this structure, then set the track for the industrial siding. This will determine how the rest of my end point staging falls into place. More to follow.

Curt: Thank you. Happy Navy Birthday. (You too Chet).

David: My knee is doing well, thank you. I have full range of motion, and can bend it more than I ever could with the original. I'm up to walking a mile or more as often as I can, (weather permitting). I'm also active with the Model Railroad and Yard work again. Biggest problem I have is avoiding Covid.
Hope your knee gets better. There are some good stretching and bending exercises on line and on U-tube, that are very similar to what I use, and what I did in physical therapy. The more you move the knee, the better it gets. Lack of motion is the problem.

Sherrel: Open Start menu ¡ Scroll down to Windows Accessories ¡ Open...choose Character Map ¡ Open...you will see all kinds of letters, symbols and signs. Choose the one you want, highlight it, click on select, click on copy, then go to where you are writing and paste ¡ This feature has been in Windows since Win 3.1. Sure Beats the old Dos key combinations. That's my £10. BTW, while in the forum, for instance, the Windows key, (bottom row, third key from left) will open the start menu. That's worth more than my

Dave: You sure? ;)

View attachment 118258
This is one awesome machine. FDNY's new 5500 GPM "Super Pumper" undergoing final pre delivery tests at the factory. Built by Ferrara, and using a Hale pump, the Engine is shown delivering water through three deck mounted Master Stream Devices. The problem with this is water supply, which will require drawing water from a marine unit, or numerous hydrants. That's a lot of water!
Good evening...still raining...and still in the 50s. Spent some time working on the background version of Walthers hardwood Furniture Co. Interesting kit. Typical of Walthers background kits I have additional parts, not required for assembly...and in this case I'm missing a few minor parts that are required per instructions. I took advantage of yesterday's relatively mild temperatures and threatening skies, to paint the exterior. Today, I installed the windows on the two side panels, then applied the plastic glazing to the inside of the windows with canopy glue. I'll finish tomorrow, after I run a few errands and have blood taken, first thing in the morning. it is absolutely crucial to finish and place this structure, then set the track for the industrial siding. This will determine how the rest of my end point staging falls into place. More to follow.

Curt: Thank you. Happy Navy Birthday. (You too Chet).

David: My knee is doing well, thank you. I have full range of motion, and can bend it more than I ever could with the original. I'm up to walking a mile or more as often as I can, (weather permitting). I'm also active with the Model Railroad and Yard work again. Biggest problem I have is avoiding Covid.
Hope your knee gets better. There are some good stretching and bending exercises on line and on U-tube, that are very similar to what I use, and what I did in physical therapy. The more you move the knee, the better it gets. Lack of motion is the problem.

Sherrel: Open Start menu ¡ Scroll down to Windows Accessories ¡ Open...choose Character Map ¡ Open...you will see all kinds of letters, symbols and signs. Choose the one you want, highlight it, click on select, click on copy, then go to where you are writing and paste ¡ This feature has been in Windows since Win 3.1. Sure Beats the old Dos key combinations. That's my £10. BTW, while in the forum, for instance, the Windows key, (bottom row, third key from left) will open the start menu. That's worth more than my 2¢.

Dave: You sure? ;)

View attachment 118258
This is one awesome machine. FDNY's new 5500 GPM "Super Pumper" undergoing final pre delivery tests at the factory. Built by Ferrara, and using a Hale pump, the Engine is shown delivering water through three deck mounted Master Stream Devices. The problem with this is water supply, which will require drawing water from a marine unit, or numerous hydrants. That's a lot of water!

Boris it: My knee is doing well, thank you. I have full range of motion, and can bend it more than I ever could with the original. I'm up to walking a mile or more as often as I can, (weather permitting). I'm also active with the Model Railroad and Yard work again. Biggest problem I have is avoiding Covid.
Hope your knee gets better. There are some good stretching and bending exercises on line and on U-tube, that are very similar to what I use, and what I did in physical therapy. The more you move the knee, the better it gets. Lack of motion is the problem.[/QIOTE]

Say Boris:, Thanks for all the info, also glad to know you're doing a lot better. As far as the inflammation goes Turmeric & c
Curcumin help to reduce and relieve it. This is one of the supplants I take which does seem to offer a fair amount of relief. It may well help you too ?

I also take, 'muscle tech protein powder' to help my left leg muscles relax, which tend to cramp up a bit due to my not getting enough protein in my diet it seems.

Hopefully, the Doc sleeve knee brace, I just ordered, which is supposed to provide a lot of extra support will aid my walking more naturally without the use of a Cane or Walker but time will tell, I'll keep you informed as I should get it in a couple of days.

The rebuild of the Alco is interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Good morning. Flo, coffee and mess o bacon. Going to vote today, and need all the pork I can get. <---- political humour

Managed to sleep in, but got up, ate my yogurt and took my vitamins, then headed down to the trainroom to finish up what I tried to do last night: Glue down the last of the foam inclines. I was two sections short last night, so I got those in this morning.

i-NRmJxCq-L.jpg

Note: some of the foam in the background is loose debris to be removed by the work-gang later.

Morning all;

Made the coffee at the office and then went and got my flu shot. That puts me over the minimum points to get the better deal on my health insurance next year. When the boss gets hers tomorrow, it's just extra points.

Currently 9° Celsius in Doo-Dah this morning. Supposed to be sunny and warmer at 27° today.

We had high winds overnight Sunday into yesterday. When I got home, I had to find all the cushions for the patio furniture and chase down the chest they were in. Found the wind had also broken the metal latch holding the main gate closed. It was metal fatigued anyway, so at some point today, I need to try to track down a new one.

Went with the boy to look at a house for sale next to his sister. Sign went up Saturday and there were 4 offers before we looked at it on Monday. Problem is it's overpriced at the listing price, but realtor thinks there'll be a bidding war. I would have thought the barking dogs next door would have been a deterrent. Yes there is only a chain link fence between this house and my daughter's house.

Good Morning All. Clear and 54° this morning, not as chilly as predicted. We're about to enter a period of unsettled weather here, but with no rain. 85° today, 90° tomorrow, 75° Thursday and 69° Friday. After that it is still up and down.
On my morning walk yesterday, I noted that the "new guy on the block", down the road a bit, has decorated his gate, gatehouse, and part of the woods near the entry to his property with skulls, skeletons, pumpkins and other assorted Halloween decorations. It's a nice touch that won't be seen by anyone driving by at over 15 mph or entering his property. This is the same guy who uses the weedeater along 1000' of barbed wire fence along the road!

Sunny side up eggs with a stack of sausage patties and some hot buttered toast for me today, Flo.

Thanks once again for all of the reactions and positive comments regarding my various projects; Karl, Tom O, Dave Jerome, Guy, Phil, Patrick, Sherrel, Chet, Tom, James.

Didn't do much in the train shed yesterday. I painted and made the roof for the DPM structure but this picture isn't too good.
10-13-20 004.JPG

Then I went over to the project area and played with the location of the C&T Refrigeration structure. This looks like where I want it.
10-13-20 006.JPG

There are a couple of little-used ground throws behind it that I want to be sure I can easily reach from around the right side. They are only used when switching the grain elevator that's over to the left a bit, or to switch the gravel loader over to the right, both well out of this picture.
I also cleaned some track over in the staging area at the extreme end of the line on the lower level. Not much to that, as it wasn't really dirty. Just proactive cleaning with my Woodland Scenics Tidi-Track wand.

Dave - As promised, here are a few pictures of Middlesex Mfg as it exists right now. A couple of thoughts first. I do like the kit and that's why I bought a second one. It actually represents a real structure in NJ that I think is still there today, but has been converted into upscale apartments. I don't remember the name of the original building built in the 1800's as a tobacco warehouse, but Joe knows it and might see this and tell you. I deviated just a little bit and painted the windows gray instead of the green that are actually in the original building. I have also left off the eight chimneys for now. I may add them eventually. Trackside view.
10-13-20 001.JPG

Note that the bay doors are just a scale 22' apart, two 40' boxcars could line up with the outside doors, but if you use 50' cars, only one will fit.
Other side view.
10-13-20 002.JPG
As is common in many Atlas structures, the whole structure is NOT 1:87. The entry door on this side and in the next photo are just a scale 6'1" tall. Standard in the real world is 6'8".
Main entryway view.
10-13-20 003.JPG

I have not yet added any of my own details or enhancements at this time, because I intend to kitbash the other kit and combine the two to make a scale 200' long structure. I will need to clear off much more of my workbench to do this!:(

Guy -
Was that all done by hand? It's difficult for me to believe they had forklifts back then.
As I recall (I learned this years ago), forklifts were developed late in WWI, about 1917, due to the manpower shortage in industries. Towmoter, Clark and Yale were three of the early companies. I have used lifts made by all three back in my early working days.
Tom O - I am with you on the driving, I like seeing the countryside and I am in no hurry usually. I am not doing much right now, back to back knee surgeries for my wife and now this pandemic thing. I am still winding down after 43 years of 100 miles a day commuting.

Besides being the birthday of the US Navy today, it is also National No Bra Day in conjunction with National Breast Cancer Awareness Day. I'll leave it to Sherrel to post pictures.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning, everyone! We are quickly entering that season where anything warmer than -20°F is considered a pleasant day. Calgary had snow yesterday, Peace River had snow yesterday: but we here in tropical Whitecourt, didn't have snow 🤞. Matter of fact, we are supposed to be the hot-spot of northern Alberta today; a whopping high of 43° or so, with mild winds. Yippee!

A quick breakfast of two eggs over-easy and sausage, so I can get on with the day. I need to paint some HO structure walls first, and then continue preparing my layout space.
Yesterday, I painted some of the buildings parts. Here's the proof:
Hardware_10-12-2020 (1).jpg

Trying to decide if I want the brick walls lighter, or darker. - I'm probably going with the wood color on this building.

That white, oil based primer from ell, that I used on the walls took forever to set! I learned a good lesson, there!

Gary S - The tug-boat hull is very interesting; it sure looks like you have a plan. Well done!
Boris - That is quite the little fire pumper. I imagine it will be very frustrating if they are unable to find the required water, when they need it.
Willie - Thank you for an answer to my forklift question. Karl - Thank you, as well!

And, a big Thank You to all who like my simple posts!!! Have a wonderful day! This is a new and never-to-be-seen-again one!

Morning from the far SW where the current 60° will turn into an even 100° this afternoon - then 99° tomorrow - then 101° on Thursday. The clouds continue to hid - somewhere?

Good morning. Flo, coffee and mess o bacon. Going to vote today, and need all the pork I can get. <---- political humour

TROY - That's actually pretty funny! I wish they would throw a little of that pork my direction; they seem to toss it to everyone else. I was doing pretty good until you mentioned the yogurt part... I just really don't like the stuff - period! However, if you get some fresh donuts and toss one this way - I will forget the fact that you like yogurt, :D

Willie - that building is a monster! I'm not sure that I have seen one that large on a model RR before and I see that you are going to join two of them together? I might be tempted to modify that entrance door a little? It just seems too small for that large a structure?

In other news: I have to do a search in my file cabinet for a friend who wants ¼ scale drawings of the Colorado 3 foot RR's. I have tons of plans mostly of stuff that I never got around to building.

The Spousal Unit is down to her MD's requested weight for getting her knee worked on. Will have to see what direction that goes and I hope pretty quickly as she is hobbling more each week.

Speaking of No Bra Day - where/what has happened to Beady? I better not put up a braless pic, but I'll toss this one for you KARL ... it caught my eye for sure!

1602599713858.png

I never thought ladies like her existed. Then I went to college!

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the TV weather person, weather channel on IPad and Terry’s cell phone all say different things about today’s weather even the current temp. We may get to mid60’s.

The grandson and I worked on the slot track after school work was done yesterday. 1st time since 13 that I built a 2 lane track and using commercial track. Only 2 lanes instead of the normal 3 for me But room for 2 more with the correct curve track. Being digital it still handles 6 cars on the 2 lanes. With the 6 year old helping, and he really did, he may take more ownership then past tracks. It was a good time.

Started working in the chip yard and my system to empty chip hoppers. Need to find something more “REAL”. I might try what MRH forum thread has going, an actual building. Great day to all. Here’s what I have:
BA73D8D7-C498-4AEC-83A3-93288A0F9943.jpeg

Sherrel - That women is called a temporary relationship that I cannot afford.

TLOC - Not sure you are interested, but, this is what a real chip hopper looks like:
MillarWestern.jpg

MillarWestern2.jpg

That one is located at Millar Western Industries, a private company once owned by a very wealthy family; so much money, they didn't have to be friendly or nice. Think it was bought out by a corporation now.

TOM - I led a too sheltered childhood. I don't think I paid a great deal of attention until I went to work for the airlines. I think I am still trying to make up for lost time! :p BTW - That scene you show there is really great modeling!

GUY - 10 years back I had a BIL who was a handsome dude (former Marine turned Attorney) whose second wife had been a Playboy centerfold. I did not know her as they split prior to me arriving on the scene, but photos show that she could run a close race with that lady there. I say 10 years back as he passed from brain cancer in his mid 60's and BTW I know that there is no such thing as a "former Marine".
Love thos logging/lumber/chipping photos - lots of detail to ponder?

Afternoon All,

Today in the train room I put in the cardboard lattice work and plastered around the 2 bridge end supports and glued the the bents onto the bottom of the bridge. They wont be long enough since I used them on the last layout (2.5 in. high) and now it will be about 3.5 inches, so I need to build "concrete" footers for the 6 legs. Tomorrow is painting and scenery before mounting the bridge. The PSX-AR is supposed to be delivered today (2 days early) :).

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again. Good luck with the leg brace.

Joe- Thank you for the Navy Birthday wishes. It looks like that pumper does an amazing job.

gseritt- Nice job on the hull.

Willie- Great looking building. It has real potential.

TomO- Excellent layout shot.

Guy- Interesting lumber industry buildings.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back