Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. I have as usual been busy with non railroad projects. Just about all done with them except for running through all of the fallen leaves with the mower to mulch them. Only a few trees left with any leaves and with the winds picking up with a cold front moving through, not many will be left on the trees. The wind finally cleared the smoke out. It's been pretty bad the last few days. Helped my son get his Outback ready for his house hunting trip up to Libby, MT. His company will let him work remotely and even offered to pay for his internet. The high temps are expected to be only in the 50's with the lows in the 30's.

keN
- Sorry to hear about your condition. Treat it seriously. I'm sure your wife and daughter already drilled that into you. Last year, in fact on Christmas day i had some pain in my left leg. Went to the urgent care the next morning and they ran an ultrasound and found a blood clot in the leg. They gave me a prescription for some blood thinner pills that ran $67 each, which out medicare supplement plan paid for and I had to wear a compression stocking on the leg for a couple of months. I did enjoy going to the hot springs because swimming is a good exercise for the leg. In a couple of months everything was back to normal. Like Willie, I never get any flu shots. Never had one and never had the flu.

Willie - I can't get over the photos you've posted. I really enjoy seeing all of the small details that you've been adding around the layout. Like the Co-op.

Sherrel
- Excellent photo of the Frisco 0-6-0.

Garry - An excellent photo as usual.

Curt - You are making progress like a man possessed. Nice photos and the rock work is excellent.

Greg - That is an interesting looking ballast spreader. Tried a few years ago and was never happy with what was available back then. Let us know how it works.

Troy -
You're also making some geed progress. Almost time to start some hard shell.

Joe - Keep those proto photos coming. Never get tired of seeing them.

TomO - I haven't used anything else but Elmers glue for scenery. By thinning it you can use it for many different purposes. There wasn't much else available when I started my scenery and as long as it did what I needed it to, why change. Nice layout photos.

Chad - Interesting photo. I wish that I had more time in Japan to get familiar with their train service. Been watching a lot on YouTube and they sure have their poop in a group over there.

Jerry - Looking at your photos, the rocks didn't grab my attention as much as the sage brush. All I could thing about was making trees.

I actually did run some trains finally today. I came into the house and went down into the basement for something that my son needed to work on his car and went back down to see if there were still some trains down there. Took these after dropping a freight train in the Logan yard running back to the other yard.

thumbnail_20201010_130544.jpg

thumbnail_20201010_130651.jpg

Now that it is officially Autumn, here's some fall colors.

FB_IMG_1601577621017.jpg

Later

Got out one of the stable mates of the one I was running last night and put it on the other loop. This is a Rhätische Bahn Ge4/4-III locomotive with the "Glaciers on Tour" livery running the Glacier Express route. This one uses rapido couplers by default, and with my track just laying free on the foam board with a table cloth, and wiring going underneath it causing slight "buckles" or peaks in the track, I get a lot of de-coupling with the rapido attached cars, so I only put 3 or 4 cars of their Panorama type passenger wagon on the Glacier Express (of 8) while the other Rhätische Bahn Ge4/4-II with teh EW I wagons uses a different friction coupler that stays together better and I have 9 wagons on that one (though I have cut openings for the wire, nothing is attached with anything and just free lying so it does not work that well but is ok for a temp layout but these slight peaks or buckles in the track here and there make rapido based coupling not work so well, and most of my European trains and most of the Japanese freight and loco hauled stuff is rapido at the moment).

Note that this train and the one from last night, while made in Japan by KATO, are actually from a Swiss private mountain railway. The one last night is liveried in Japanese as an honor to its twin mountain railway company in Japan, but it runs in Switzerland. It seems the Rhätische Bahn names each locomotive after one of the cities in the area and they all have the city "shield" or coat of arms on them. I have one more KATO Ge4/4-III for the Glacier Express in the plain red, non-special livery as well.

IMG_3954 (1).jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg

Took a few freight cars and locos to the club this afternoon for a little playtime.

Not long after that video, something happened and a short took out the decoder in the Mike. They don't run if you let the magic smoke out of the decoder. You aren't supposed to do that. If the smoke was supposed to get out, there would be little chimneys on the decoder. So I switched over to some first gen diesel power for the rest of the session.

Good Evening Gentlemen
A very pleasant 72* here. Last week I was worked like a rented mule, moving some equipment out of our job way up in the Sierras. But, I did get a few things started in the trainroom. I started the "highline" where the sugar beet cars were dumped and I started on the Middlesex Manufacturing kit. I have not built a plastic model kit since I was 14. This will be a challenge as I will need to put floors in it and some sort of machinery, tanks etc. There must be 100 windows. Today I applied the mortar wash on the brick surfaces. A couple pics of the highline and one of an area they call Hope Valley that was on my route 3 days of last week which also took me along hwy 89 on the west side of lake Tahoe. Beautiful views but so many morons that cant even keep their 6' wide auto on their side of the line.
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg

Evening gang! Been a while since I posted here. Been busy stocking the freezer and doing winterization around here. Tagged out on my fall gobbler yesterday and 1 doe both with my bow Hoyt Factor 30. I have 2 more doe tags and a buck tag for gun season. Then that will do it for me. The freezer full of fish, turkey and venison. Nothing like organic food. I will get some squirrel and rabbit later in December. I have been enjoying this weather this 4 day weekend. 76 today whew! Warm for up state NY. This morning I finished stacking my split firewood for the season. Tad bit sore took me 3 hours to do. Supposedly it gonna be a bitter one this winter we shall see.

Looking forward to start working on my layout again. I have been working on getting my laundry list of items for the kit bash work that Jerome will be doing on my RS1 Alco for my shortline interchange "The Bay Line". Also getting a lot of other supplies, kits, and what not. I sometimes feel like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter! lol Nonetheless I will be prepared. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Peace.

Evening gang! Been a while since I posted here. Been busy stocking the freezer and doing winterization around here. Tagged out on my fall gobbler yesterday and 1 doe both with my bow Hoyt Factor 30. I have 2 more doe tags and a buck tag for gun season. Then that will do it for me. The freezer full of fish, turkey and venison. Nothing like organic food. I will get some squirrel and rabbit later in December. I have been enjoying this weather this 4 day weekend. 76 today whew! Warm for up state NY. This morning I finished stacking my split firewood for the season. Tad bit sore took me 3 hours to do. Supposedly it gonna be a bitter one this winter we shall see.

Looking forward to start working on my layout again. I have been working on getting my laundry list of items for the kit bash work that Jerome will be doing on my RS1 Alco for my shortline interchange "The Bay Line". Also getting a lot of other supplies, kits, and what not. I sometimes feel like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter! lol Nonetheless I will be prepared. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Peace.
ECF3AFE4-043B-466A-91A8-AAF387A87190.jpeg
482E41CA-738A-4466-B765-FD050C5EE6A8.jpeg

Greetings gents (and any ladies odd enough to abide here).

A balmy 59° here in The Fort. High of and additional 10 beyond that expected. I do like sweater weather.

Since you all didn't finish the donuts yesterday, I'll have the last chocolate frosted.

Did a bit in the train room yesterday, installing the sky. Even added clouds. I may have too many clouds. The blue roller is still wet and wrapped, so I can paint a couple out if need be. Perhaps I'll do a proper post on my Still Untitled Thread today

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 7.43.27 AM.png

Got a question for Toot...
In one of my books, the Australian bloke gets murdered on his way to the dunnie...

Am I using "dunnie" appropriately? Or is there another term for the men's room/restroom?

Also, how does one pronounce "dunnie"? like "funny"? or like a "dune- EE"?

This matters because I've submitted the book for narration auditions, and the Brit narrators are disagreeing on the term.

And, it might be of interest to our forum members should they venture down under and need to use the loo.

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° on this dark Sunday morning. Forecast is for upper 90's this afternoon before a cool front tomorrow morning comes through, bringing Monday nights low to 48°. Still no rain in the ten day forecast. At least I am not having to mow much right now. Spent part of the day yesterday clearing some brush alongside the road out front. Surprisingly I don't feel it this morning. Finally got the oil and filter changed in the car, 187 miles past due! Doesn't seem to have hurt it's performance. I don't mind doing it to this Acura RDX, it can all be done without jacking the car up. Everything is within easy reach from the front. Just have to have a large enough piece of cardboard to lay on over the gravel driveway.

Hey there Flo. I'll take ham, poached eggs and grits this morning, along with my usual OJ.

Thanks to everyone for the reactions and comments regarding yesterdays post; Lee, Guy, Garry, Sherrel, Jerome, Tom O, Curt, Phil, Gary, Chet, Ken, Chad, Tom, James.

While I made some more progress on the D's Diner site yesterday, I forgot to take any pictures. I painted the perimeter of the site a light earth color and later added ground foam for the grass. I tried something a bit different this time, I applied the foam directly to the wet paint on one border. It didn't really work out too well for me. While the foam stuck, there was no depth to it, and some of the paint had obviously dried before I got it covered. It all worked out in the end, as I just overlaid it with more foam and "wet glue" like I have always done.
Over on the workbench, I did a little bit more painting of the bicycles that finish out the detailing of the diner, not complete yet. I also opened up my next DPM kit and trimmed and filed parts. Schultz's Garage.
10-11-20 002.JPG

10-11-20 001.JPG

This will actually be my third iteration of this kit. One is a stand alone garage specializing in hot rods, and the other was part of a DPM Gold Series kit called Harlee & Sons. This one is intended for a whole different location and no one will notice that it is a duplicate.
Otherwise I ran trains for a while as I hadn't done that in a couple of days.

Stay tuned as I decided to finally venture into the world of Photo Albums here on the forum. It will not diminish the photos that I post here, but will be a repository for all my photos. Be ready for some questions, Sherrel and Terry.

Louis - Thanks for the update. Glad to know that your wife no longer has to work as a convenience store manager there in Baltimore. Probably not the safest job. A1C of 10.4!!! That is quite a bit above normal, but if you're making progress in lowering it, that is good.
Jerry - Rather desolate countryside in those pictures of the old homestead.
Sherrel - That is really a nice picture of Frisco 943.
Garry -
Willie .... Does your rant qualify as nit picking in the Anti Nit Pickers League forum page ?
YES! It even comes close to "rivet counting".:eek:
Chet - One reason for repeating some scenes here is that I am continually adding details to scenes that I have already posted. A mailbox here, a dog there or several new figures. I periodically move vehicles around, particularly trucks to vary my own view as well as others; grandsons being the primary targets. Everything is constantly evolving. I have gotten a few ideas from your pictures from home and the club; as well as from other members here.
Troy - Those clouds look fine to me.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and social distanced.

Good morning. 62° and cloudy. Feels like it's fixing to rain. Actually we are expecting a drenching from Post tropical Depression Delta, beginning later today.

Willie:
Those DPM kits are so adaptable, they fit in multiple places without looking like repeaters.

Painted some 24' of backdrop, and about 16' of ground yesterday. I went for the cloudless effect like we had Friday. otherwise, I would have to use blends of grey to capture our chronic overcast. Now. for some serious track work... I have been making a photo journal of the project, but have to downloaded to the laptop, so I can share.

Metroliner SD at Prospect Park (Moore) 10-9-1971 Hal Smith Photo.jpg

Southbound Metroliner on #3 at Moore (Prospect Park, PA), 10-9-1971 by Hal Smith Amtrak train on Conrail's Chesapeake Division, at that point of time.
E60 964 Eastbound  at Elizabeth NJ with Florida Train - Tom Nelligan Photo.jpg

This one's for you, Chet, as E60 leads Eastward Silver fleet from Florida at Elizabeth, NJ. No date on photo.

Good morning modelers. A decent day for Fall in Wisconsin, TV says we should hit 60’s without the sun, warmer if it shows up. Not much going on today, the wife is deciding between the walk or the Farmers Market that has been disappointing the last 3 weeks. We really miss what is claimed to be the biggest Farmers market in the nation. On Saturdays from April to November the market surrounds the state capital in Madison. A great Saturday event and closed around the capital due to the Pandemic.

NHL, not sure what the Black Hawks are trying to do. Just got rid of another decent part of the team in what feels like another salary dump. Tried watching a baseball game the other day, saw Tampa and Yankees, I watched one inning, it took forever. NFL, just can’t get interested anymore, so tired of rich owners...

Trains, you know I realize I love train pictures of models, layouts and the real thing. Keep posting away on those.

This is the week we normally start our trek to see the son in Austin. Due to current events it is not happening. It usually takes a week for us with all the stops to visit. 3 weeks at his place and a week driving home. A great way to see the country. We also do it in March but didn’t as we were leaving the day everything basically shut down. I really wanted to see the Telsa factory build going on outside of Austin, but I will keep watching the you tube videos of the build.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Morning Engineers!
56 degrees (since I cannot make the "degree" symbol) going up to 82 degrees today with a clear sky.
We had three 78 degree days in a row and we will be back into the mid 90's on Tuesday.
Enough of that!
JOE: Nice pics!
TERRY - Wish we had some of your wetness!
Willie - Your morning posts are very nice reading - thank you for all of them.
Truckdad (DAVE) - Beautiful photos - all of them - especially the highway shot. Would like to know what you were hauling on 89 to/from Hope Valley? That portion along Emerald Bay is pretty snakey - you must have done a fair amount of shifting? I can't imagine meeting cars in a tractor/trailer on portions of that road!
TRoy - layout is starting to take shape - can I have a donut, please? I will even say that I like your clouds too - two donuts, please!
CURT - You are moving warp speed - taking shape and looking good! I liked what you said about your deployments - Mom's are all the same! Speaking of that - how do you know when it is time to sleep on a sub? That has to take some getting used too! Are the movie portrayals of a nuclear sub's inter workings anyway close to the real thing?
Jerry - The landscape desert is amazing to me. We are not much more than 20 miles from the ocean, but without irrigation the area around here would look a lot like what you pictured - except we do have the brush covered mountains all over.
MIKE - those ads are funny - like the redneck ones!
CHET - never tire of seeing photos of your layout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back