Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers! 48*F and clear in central MD.

Thanks Karl, I do appreciate the offer. I plan to do two rehearsals of the op session - one to find the bugs, and another to confirm that they get worked out. For the more immediate future, I'd like to bring my GP40 #3754 over to your place to have you put a GP40 sound file in the decoder, to replace the GP38 one that it came with.

BTW - my covid test results came back today: NEGATIVE

Ken, just let me know when the crew needs to come over, I can pick up Keith on the way. As Far as programming maybe next Sunday? I'm on drugs right now for an inner ear infection, gotta w*rk next Saturday, but Sunday is ok. The following weekend we will be away (1st anniversary get away).

Congrats on the Covid results, we should all be so lucky!

Here's one for all the DCC genius's , I'm puzzled. Older Athearn BB U33b, remotored with a can motor. I installed an NCE D13W decoder. I used 1 Miniatronics Yellowglow LED for the rear headlight, and 2 pico size chip LED's for the front headlights. A Red nano LED in the nose to act as a marker when running in reverse, and a 3rd pico for the remaining nose light, set to function as a mars light. They all work individually, but when the mars light is active with the headlight, the headlights flicker . Could it be because of using LEDs?? The CVs are all set for LED's instead of lamps. Oh, and now the rear headlight comes on going forward, but not in reverse. According to all my DecoderPro settings, this should not be. I'm thinking a reset tomorrow, too aggravated right now to think clearly about it.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 55° on this fine Saturday morning. Headed up to 85° this afternoon, then a cool front rolls in around midnight and the high tomorrow and Monday will only be in the upper 70's. Then it's back to mid-80's for at least another week. Very slight chance of much needed rain with that cool front tonight.
Mostly did yard work yesterday to the point that I had to take one Advil by mid-afternoon. Today starts with laundry and more yardwork.

With the heightened concerns about the pandemic, I noted that our rural county (Cooke) of about 40,000 people seems to have leveled off with the Covid-19 cases. Still holding steady around 450 cases and only 6 deaths. The county just south of me (Denton) has over 670,000 people in it, with 12319 cases and 155 deaths; also holding rather steady. Most of those cases and deaths are in the southern part of the county where it borders on Dallas. Our county has an about 1.2% infection rate, Denton County is about 1.8%. Two people that I know, but only see about once a year have gotten it, and they were both anti-maskers. I remain vigilant.

Ah! The weekend Flo. How about just a bowl of Corn Flakes today. Hate to say that I am temporarily burned out on bacon and sausage every morning.

Thanks guys for all of the likes and kind comments regarding the layout progress; Jerome, Lee, Karl, Tom O, Chad, Phil, Curt, Sherrel, Garry, Justin, Tom, Ken.

Slow, short day in the train shed yesterday. I did finish the window painting on the last two walls of the DPM structure. Then I touched up the brick and concrete paint where I went out of the lines.:( While waiting for paint to dry, I continued assembling some of the Bar Mills Insta-Fencing that will surround the diner.
View attachment 117954
I did set the plastics factory in place and added some very minor details/improvements to it. I also added that yellow lane marking stripe on the roadway.
View attachment 117955
Then I picked up the throttle and ran trains for a while. That's what they are there for, isn't it? Once I do that, all modeling is suspended until the next day.:) Started to take some action pictures of an intermodal train that I was running, when the battery on the camera died. But I did get a few before that happened.
Coming through the town of Charlottesville.
View attachment 117956
Outskirts of Charlottesville.
View attachment 117957
Heading into the outskirts of Maultown.
View attachment 117958
And a couple of shots at the other end of Maultown as it was leaving.
View attachment 117959
View attachment 117960

Jerry - While I don't like the idea of graffiti in general, I do apply some to some of my railcars as it enhances the realism. I never go overboard as shown in your picture, just a little bit here and there.
GT - I am like you, I don't see myself standing around with a bunch of possibly infected people just to get tested. Testing doesn't get you well any sooner!

Everybody have a great day.
Tharrs Baarrz in them thar 'ills, umm, flat areas.

Morning all.

Had some Amish Crack Donut Holes from my secret stash in the freezer, so I just need a plate of bacon, Flo

Going to tackle the pass-through bridges today. Since my track laying experience to date is a fat Zero/Naught, I'm curious as to how you all would hand this in N scale? Since this is the best place to find the brains of the outfit, thought I'd ask here. Just make sure you get a cuppa joe to wake up the little grey cells.

i-n9Mm6R9-L.jpg

I'm using Pico Code 80 Flextack and turnouts on the layout. Should I install the bridges into place, painted and weathered, then lay the track on top of that? I'd save out the molded section of Bridge Ties Walther's includes, and install that when I lay the track?

If so, How much longer than the bridge span do I make that section of track? My thought is to make a track section about 2 to 3 inches to each side of the bridge. Strip the ties from the section that will lay on the bridge deck (has it's own molded section of bridge ties.)

Then run flex track to either direction off that part?

Tell me what I'm missing, please.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 61° to start this Sunday at the Covid-free SFW estate. The predicted rain last night did not materialize, however the cool front did come through. It will be rather cool tonight at 47°, then back to normal for the foreseeable future, maybe even reaching 90° on Wednesday. Yesterday was another beautiful day outside and I did a lot of outdoorsy stuff. At least I am not feeling it this morning.
Neighbor finally fixed his hay baler and came back to finish baling my hayfield yesterday. Not nearly the same yield as the first cutting, but the second cutting is all profit in the years that we get one.
My plumber is coming by this morning to work on an underground water leak by my water meter, that he has fixed before. This time it's not as serious as the last time, but it is messy nonetheless. I have to stand around and hand him tools and be a general "gofer" kind of guy. He does all of the digging though, although he sometimes brings a "street corner helper" with him. Cost is greater but the work gets done quicker.

I am ready for sausage and over easy eggs this morning, Flo. A toasted English Muffin would go well with that. I'll pass on the doughnuts today as my blood sugar level yesterday was on the high side but acceptable.

Thanks once again for all of the likes and comments yesterday, regarding the progress and train watching tour; Sherrel, Jerry, Jerome, Garry, Gary, Tom O, Lee, Phil, Karl, Curt, Chad, Ray, Tom.

Well, what did I do in the train shed yesterday? I did apply a mortar wash to the first side of the DPM structure.
10-04-20 010.JPG

I'll have to go back and look at it, as this picture is either not very good or I didn't exactly get the effect that I was looking for.
Other things that I did was to measure stuff in between the body shop and the plastics factory. I am going to put a .080 styrene base under the diner, made from an old sign. The measuring was not only for that, but to ensure that I assembled enough Insta-Fence to surround it. I will be using chain link fencing around the appliance repair business and I need to start on that soon as well.
Whoa! Fourth quarter is upon us, and I need to also start the cleaning of the next quadrant of the lower level. This area is mostly undeveloped with just a main/passing siding running through it and it ends in a staging/classification yard on the end. Mostly it is a surface storage area for stuff that I haven't taken the time to put up (I am sloppy and need to add more shelves underneath). For now I will only post an overview shot of this U-shaped area that's approximately 25' x 6.5'.
10-04-20 001.JPG

None of the track other than the main and passing siding on the right is fastened down at the present. The staging/classification yard on the left has several backdrop industries that I switch occasionally. I want to get more of the rest of the layout finished before I tackle this expanse. I do have an overall plan that includes another grain elevator, a team track and flatcar unloading facility and the Walther's Allied Rail Rebuilders kit.
Now here's something for you Jerry. I resumed the train watching and took a few more pictures.
First the train coming through behind downtown Maultown.
10-04-20 002.JPG

Continuing from yesterday's trip. After leaving the outskirts of Maultown, we come around an industrial park that's located inside the "turnback" loop at the end of a peninsula. This is a good illustration of why I use HO scale roadbed on the main, and N scale roadbed on the passing siding.
10-04-20 004.JPG

After rounding the area, the train makes it back towards the town of Vernon, passing a unit ethanol train on the siding.
10-04-20 005.JPG

It loops its way behind a rural residential area here.
10-04-20 006.JPG

Then it passes across from Vernon's business district.
10-04-20 008.JPG

Finally passing by the feed and fertilizer dealer on the right, on the way out of Vernon. It is also passing a manifest freight waiting on the siding on the left.
10-04-20 009.JPG

From there it goes behind the body shop/diner/etc where we started yesterday.

Troy - Good luck on the latest book. I cannot offer any advice on the bridges as I have never assembled one of them before. I do agree that the 2"-3" of flex on each side is a good idea.
Alan - I'm good with the short clips since I cannot really spend that much time just sitting and watching. I could easily spend days on end watching You Tube layout videos if I didn't exercise some restraint. Keep them coming.
Thanks Garry for the comment. I could get a whole lot more done if I spent more time in the train shed, but then it would resemble a job again!
Jerry - Thanks for your comment. For more of my layout pictures, follow the tour in the January, April and July Coffee Shops. I clean and tidy up 1/8 of the layout every quarter. January began with the lower level and progressively worked around it.
Greg - Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Glad to read that things are getting back to normal and you can get to your layout.
You asked "How fast do you run your trains?". I generally run slow. It can take me seven to nine minutes to go non-stop either end to end on the lower level or a loop on the upper level, both are ~165' in length. That's a scale 15-20 mph.
Gary - That's great that the E Bay situation worked out in your favor.
Ken - Good news on the Covid test.

Today is a commemorative day for several gastronomic delights. To start your day, it's National Cinnamon Roll Day, for your libations, it's National Vodka Day (yech!) and it's also National Taco Day. :)
Everybody have a great day, go to the church of your choice and wear your damn masks.

Good Morning all 49 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo English muffin and Coffee

Curt. It looks like it hooked to a car of some sort

Willie. Your layout looks great thanks for sharing your pics of it

Well I decided to finish up my O scale Circus Wagons. I build them mostly semi scratch built. Here’s one that I need to and the Whiffle rings and a few more things then I’m calling it done Have a great day everyone
B7197992-913C-4549-9CE8-80E09480F3FE.jpeg
B857F270-BC42-43FD-9E28-B61E7ACE4164.jpeg
07F097AE-8E77-4A0C-B3DC-2253ABC3B225.jpeg
AB90AE51-D333-4AD0-99E9-5AFE03B8DB9C.jpeg
C7BE73A6-57B4-419A-8044-BF0124F507EF.jpeg
92DDDF5E-6E42-47BF-BC0B-DF7088FF6BFB.jpeg
2F30FDB4-5676-4D12-8E82-4575A0C5D3E0.jpeg
04359702-8637-494E-825B-3A5B7786E65D.jpeg
1846D561-7E5C-4FDD-8928-F346C9D01E58.jpeg
5147C15F-0CCA-46E6-9731-0EB791E71CAF.jpeg

Last edited:
I checked the MBK and Trainworld websites; neither one of them seem to know these things exist

Ken: Interesting observation...considering the nature of the item, not surprising though. Anything that doesn't sell out quickly, doesn't get stocked. Walthers, more and more is the Grainger Supply of the Model railroad Industry.

BTW - my covid test results came back today: NEGATIVE

Ken: Now that is great news...no need to tempt fate.

Hey there fellows! Daylight decided to appear a while ago and it is supposed to reach only 95 for the next three days and even a few clouds tomorrow and the following day - It topped out at an even 100 yesterday.
Tuesday will mark FOUR months without a single drop of rain! This is the longest stretch that I can remember and we are now 32 one-hundredths of an inch behind normal for this rain season which began July 1st. LOL, at least it is a dry heat!
The Spousal Unit and I did not make much progress yesterday on re assembling the furniture. Did manage to watch a John Wayne movie and them we made the mistake of turning on two Hallmark shows named 'The Good Witch' with Catherine Bell as the lead ... She's pretty nice looking eye candy to admire! The show had a typical Hollywood wedding with all the bells and whistles - when she appeared in her wedding dress, even my wife said, WOW!

OK .. enough non related railroad BS - sometimes my mind goes astray, sorry.
Like Willie says, "Wear the damn mask"!

LEE - I like the circus wagon .. nice work with the decals!

Good morning, Happy Sunday! 46° and sunny with a continuous leaf fall...something else to look forward to.:rolleyes:.

Willie: That is an extensive layout you have there. I like the Linen building. it's coming along very nicely.

Lee: Nice job with the circus wagon.

we are now 32 one-hundredths of an inch behind normal for this rain season which began July 1st.

Sherrel: Around here, that would be a media induced crisis. A drought! Always wondered what "normal" rainfall was in a desert.

Yesterday, I worked on back drops, cutting 1/8" hardboard. What a PIA. My goal is to finish a project each day, until I'm caught up. I have to remember to take the camera down to the basement, to record the progress on the layout. I also began to enter data into my new Model Railroad Inventory spreadsheet. I can only enter a few cars at a time, without losing interest.

Good morning ......

Being October, I'll have some Apple Cider and Donuts. That was a tradition when we lived in Michigan.

Troy ..... I'm not familiar with the bridge kit, but with most kits, it is better to paint and weather parts before assembly. I would install track after the bridge is in place. After it is all together, you can do additional weathering.

WIllie ........ I like seeing your series of pictures of the train moving down the line.

Lee .... The circus wagon, looks like it was fun to build.

Joe .... You mentioned you are working on a spreadsheet for model railroad inventory. I did that several years ago. It was on the old Dell computer. It's hard drive crashed, and the spreadsheet was lost along with many other files.

Everybody: .... Have good day.

Good morning, it has climbed to 39f degrees in So. Central Wisconsin but the sun is very bright and they climb as they did about yesterday we should hit 50. Yesterday we did not. Hoping is going on!

Dumpsters, glad you found them keN. I only buy direct from Walthers after the search indicates they are the best price including shipping. See next!

Walthers- my LHS gives me a minimum of 20% off retail but sometimes Walthers with their sale pricing is better. Especially when they tell me I have free shipping over $100 occasionally. Grandparents day, my birthday and Xmas season.
As I mentioned the other day, it baffles me that direct buyers of Walthers like Lombard Hobbies, Hiawatha Hobbies, Model Train Stuff Reynaults Hobby and Spring Creek Hobbies are unaware of some Walthers items even when using the Walthers numbers. I always use advance search at the Walthers site, that way I have many ways to hopefully find an item.

Willie-I have had have lousy luck putting mortar on my 2 brick buildings. I have watched so many videos and read how easy it is all over the internet. My shipping building in the Paper Mill is the Walthers building callEd Papermill, small sized bricks. But someday it will click and look good. Thanks for that photo and all your photos.

Lee-circus wagons are cool in my book. I have a buddy who owns Circuscitydecals.com and Matt specializes in circus decals of any scale and sells many different wagons he 3D prints

Tootnkumin-see above about Walthers

Everyone have a safe day, wear the mask
TomO

Good morning fellow Model Railroaders....sunny and looks like a nice fall day here in Wisconsin. Getting ready to travel back to the cabin while the weather remains nice and I love the lower humidity that Fall offers.

Well my trip to the train room yesterday was sort of a bust. While I did run a eight car train pulled by DM&IR power I sort lost interest in modeling when a track cleaning car pulled by a favorite work horse derailed.

"Willie-I have had have lousy luck putting mortar on my 2 brick buildings. I have watched so many videos and read how easy it is all over the internet. My shipping building in the Paper Mill is the Walthers building called Papermill, small sized bricks. But someday it will click and look good. Thanks for that photo and all your photos." -TomO

I may have a solution for your mortar woes. I use Roberts Brick Mortar on my models and follow the directions on the products jar. Once the mortar is really dry I use a cloth to remove any mortar from the brick's surface. You want to have mortar only in the cracks where you normally would find mortar. Important to laid the model on its side and then I use a solution of alcohol and India Ink or AIM weathering solution to fill the cracks. Once dried the mortar has a more realistic gray appearance. The product wipes off so you have a uniform appearence and no brick surfaces covered with mortar. I purchase the product from SouthsideTrains.com.

1601829831187.png

When the wash has dried I use Pan Pastels to weather the exterior and bricks. Use as little or as much as you want. Older buildings in an industrial setting has dirt and grime filled mortar joints. Here's a building under construction that represents an older building in my industrial areas of the layout. Enlarge for a better view.

Generally, only newer buildings have clean mortar lines.

IMG_0327.JPG
I plan on adding another taller chimney to the roof of this building. I like weathering everything and tend to do heavy weathering on most of my structures and many locomotives and pieces of rolling stock.

Living within driving distance of Walther's, I do spend a bulk of my hobby money (other than locomotives) at Walther's. Walther's has a punch card program that for each $25 purchased you get a punch and 25 punches (I think) fills the card and you get $50 your next purchase.

That's all for now.

Greg

#######################

Good morning. As usual, I did miss a few days and have to catch up again. It's still warm up here and we're enjoying every bit of it. I did manage to get some time in flying on Thursday as there wasn't much smoke around. Friday I knocked around the yard cleaning us anything that was out of place and managed to win 4 games Friday night bowling. Yesterday my son and his wife were over to get more work on their kitchen table. We worked in the driveway as I still haven't covered up the cars for the winter and didn't need saw dust flying all over the shop. It was a beautiful day with temps up in the mid 70's. The table top wouldn't fir in my son's Outback so he borrowed the pickup to get it home where he can complete it.

TALLADEGA today. Was there for the very first race they had and a number of additional races. I would watch go karts racing at Talledega.

Lots of great photos.

Joe
- Really like the Pen Central rs-1. Great shot.

Alan - Nice video. Excellent work also from the photo.

Garry - The cattle pens look really good. Could almost smell them. Grin.gif

Willie
- Can't say enough about your photos. The body shop is a good addition to the layout. You have such a variety of businesses. I really enjoyed the photos showing a larger area of the layout. The one looking down the dual mainline was outstanding.

Lee
- Good proto photos and the circus wagon sure came out good.

Greg - I have used the brick mortar in the past. Couldn't remember who put it out or where I got it, but it sure works great. Willie's version of "The City of New Orleans" is my favorite.

Gary - It looks like someone tried to pull the wool over your eyes on the Bachmann steamer. New in the box my a--.

Curt - You certainly are moving right along with your layout. Looking good.

Tom - Good reply for no graffiti. Modeling the transition era like I do, you didn't see any.

Haven't had any time to spend in the train room with the good weather so it's back to Archive Photos. Here's some with the Woodland Scenics lighting.

20180519_205414.jpg

20180519_205225.jpg

20180519_205114.jpg

20180519_122058.jpg
20180519_204855.jpg

20180519_205044.jpg

thumbnail_20181224_134606.jpg

20180519_204833.jpg

Later

Good morning fellow Model Railroaders....sunny and looks like a nice fall day here in Wisconsin. Getting ready to travel back to the cabin while the weather remains nice and I love the lower humidity that Fall offers.

Well my trip to the train room yesterday was sort of a bust. While I did run a eight car train pulled by DM&IR power I sort lost interest in modeling when a track cleaning car pulled by a favorite work horse derailed.

"Willie-I have had have lousy luck putting mortar on my 2 brick buildings. I have watched so many videos and read how easy it is all over the internet. My shipping building in the Paper Mill is the Walthers building called Papermill, small sized bricks. But someday it will click and look good. Thanks for that photo and all your photos." -TomO

I may have a solution for your mortar woes. I use Roberts Brick Mortar on my models and follow the directions on the products jar. Once the mortar is really dry I use a cloth to remove any mortar from the brick's surface. You want to have mortar only in the cracks where you normally would find mortar. Important to laid the model on its side and then I use a solution of alcohol and India Ink or AIM weathering solution to fill the cracks. Once dried the mortar has a more realistic gray appearance. The product wipes off so you have a uniform appearence and no brick surfaces covered with mortar. I purchase the product from SouthsideTrains.com.

View attachment 117986
When the wash has dried I use Pan Pastels to weather the exterior and bricks. Use as little or as much as you want. Older buildings in an industrial setting has dirt and grime filled mortar joints. Here's a building under construction that represents an older building in my industrial areas of the layout. Enlarge for a better view.

Generally, only newer buildings have clean mortar lines.

View attachment 117985
I plan on adding another taller chimney to the roof of this building. I like weathering everything and tend to do heavy weathering on most of my structures and many locomotives and pieces of rolling stock.

Living within driving distance of Walther's, I do spend a bulk of my hobby money (other than locomotives) at Walther's. Walther's has a punch card program that for each $25 purchased you get a punch and 25 punches (I think) fills the card and you get $50 your next purchase.

That's all for now.

Greg

#######################

Thanks Greg, I have been looking at Roberts mortar for years and almost purchased a few months ago. I will do that purchase tomorrow at LHS. I was unaware of Walthers punch program. Not that far from us for walk in on the days the shop is open and we are over in eastern Wisconsin on a day trip. Now I have another stop, Hiawatha, Southside and Walthers, my wife will love this so much!

Tom

Afternoon All,

Drizzly all day here. Cool but humid. Started out with some chores then in the train room I added 2 of the rock faces I cut yesterday, built a lattice work in the back right corner and plastered it. I just ordered 9 more bags of the clump foliage from WS. With what I have left I think it will be enough to finish the right side. Tomorrow I'll paint the plaster and after that dries I have a large rock face (2 ft. x 7 in.) to go on the plastered right curve.

Ken- Great news.

Troy- I would test fit everything together on the layout first then remove it for painting and weathering.

Willie- Great layout pics.

Lee- Nice job on the circus wagon.

Greg- Great looking building.

Chet- Amazing looking layout photos.

The white Styrofoam is at the location of the T/O that will go to a business with a coal trestle.

20201004_141405.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Morning all.

Had some Amish Crack Donut Holes from my secret stash in the freezer, so I just need a plate of bacon, Flo

Going to tackle the pass-through bridges today. Since my track laying experience to date is a fat Zero/Naught, I'm curious as to how you all would hand this in N scale? Since this is the best place to find the brains of the outfit, thought I'd ask here. Just make sure you get a cuppa joe to wake up the little grey cells.

I'm using Pico Code 80 Flextack and turnouts on the layout. Should I install the bridges into place, painted and weathered, then lay the track on top of that? I'd save out the molded section of Bridge Ties Walther's includes, and install that when I lay the track?

If so, How much longer than the bridge span do I make that section of track? My thought is to make a track section about 2 to 3 inches to each side of the bridge. Strip the ties from the section that will lay on the bridge deck (has it's own molded section of bridge ties.)

Then run flex track to either direction off that part?

Tell me what I'm missing, please.

The way I've always done it is you cut a seperate piece of flex thats at least 6 - 12 inches longer than the bridge , trim the ties back about an inch one end . When your ready to install the bridge , slide the rail joiners all the way back on the end with the removed ties , and lift out the flex .
You can make the flex as long as you want.

That allows you to temporarily use the track till you have the bridge ready for install .

To hide the gap in the ties you can take some discarded ties cut the spike heads that would normally hold the rail , flush with the tie and slide them under the rail / joiner.

Ken, just let me know when the crew needs to come over, I can pick up Keith on the way. As Far as programming maybe next Sunday? I'm on drugs right now for an inner ear infection, gotta w*rk next Saturday, but Sunday is ok. The following weekend we will be away (1st anniversary get away).
Geez Karl, has it been a year already since you two tied the knot? Congrats [in advance]...
If I could come over on Sunday afternoon ~2pm or later, that would work best for me. We usually go to Mass on Sunday mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back