Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Clear and 60* going for 89* today. Yesterday we hit 92* which is 20* above average for October. It's supposed to remain in the mid-80's for at least the next 10 days with no real rain in the forecast. It's been a while since we've had any appreciable amount (more than a couple of hundredths.

No trains yesterday, but hope for some time this weekend. It's been a month since I've made any progress on the model I'm working on.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 61°, headed up to a high of 86° later today. Our average high for this day is 81°, so it's not too bad. Still no real chance of rain in the ten day forecast, despite Hurricane Delta coming across the Gulf. But you never really know about those storms.
Tight schedule this morning, headed for a 9:30 dermatologist appointment for a followup to a minor surgery about three months ago, then it's the grocery/beer trek to follow. Had trouble the last two weeks finding my wife's iced coffee brand, resulting in a different brand for a change. Yard work will resume after lunch, and I need to change the oil in the Accura SUV.

Light breakfast today Flo, how about just a bowl of Corn Flakes and milk.

Thanks for the reactions and likes yesterday regarding the town tour; Guy, Sherrel, Karl, Chad, Jerome, Tom O, Patrick, Gary, Curt, Chet, Rick, Ken, Justin, Jerry.

I made some more progress out in the train shed yesterday. On the DPM structure, Laube's Linen Mill, I applied some more light weathering powders and placed some of my own roof details on top. I had done the window glass, loading dock canopy and view block on Tuesday. Other than deciding what type of business it is going to be and adding signage, I am calling it complete. BUT I forgot to take a picture and don't have time to run (OK, walk), out there this morning. Over in the current project area, I fabricated a concrete pad out of some .060" styrene sign material to make a base for the diner. It's currently weighted down with several twelve packs of drinks to ensure good adhesion to the plywood deck. My sign material had a slight bow to it. Bows are easily corrected, warps not too easily fixed. I also got all 34" of Insta-Fence completed and ready for the paint shop
Let's continue the tour of that small town assembled from laser-cut wood structures.
Across the way from Amos Cutter's (it looks like a "G" on the sign, but it is just a fanciful "C"); is Bruckner's Woodworking, maker of stairs, banisters and similar products. It's manufactured by American Model Builders
10-07-20 008.JPG

This was one of the earliest laser-cut models that I built, and it survived being partially crushed during the move from the old train room to the new train shed.
Next to it is another Bar Mills kit called Miracle Chair Company. Don't you love their slogan? They refer to it as one of their "beginner kits"; it really was easy.
10-07-20 009.JPG

Then we come to a small locksmith shop.
10-07-20 010.JPG

I don't remember who made this kit right now, but the kit contains two of these "outbuildings".
Next to that is a small town park, complete with a hot dog vendor, park bum and a panhandler.
10-07-20 006.JPG

And the last business on the block next to the park is also a Bar Mills beginner kit known a Simpson's Feed.
10-07-20 018.JPG

I named it Hale's Feed.
There's another establishment in town, but that shot is blurred, so I'll take another one later.
Meanwhile, Jerry mentioned railfanning Tuesday and I posted that I would get him a shot of a railfanning location in the city of Charlottesville. Here it is, a plaza between two restaurants.I haven't gotten the outdoor furniture yet for this plaza, so railfans just have to stand.
10-08-20 013.JPG

Speaking of railfans, did you catch a glimpse of the two in the back corner of the park waiting for the impending freight to come through?
10-07-20 007.JPG

Sorry that it's a bit fuzzy, it's in a hard location to get a close-up.

Guy - Nice job on the figures. I also like the young lady in blue, she's my favorite Atlas figure. I have not yet found sitting figures that fit into the space that 1:87 vehicles offer. I always have to trim off legs, file backsides and shave off the tops of heads to get them to fit. It galls me to do it when I have spent the time to paint them.
Greg - It is quite scary about all of the permanent business closings. In the case of the two small town eating establishments that I regularly go to, both owners own their buildings outright so rent isn't an issue. Otherwise they would face problems. In addition, many local residents are patronizing these establishments rather than heading to the nearest big city where reduced capacity is leading to longer waits, outside in the Texas heat! Many other small business in that city were already gone due to the Walmart effect, and there are vacancy signs everywhere. The bigger cities seem to have taken the brunt of this thing more than the small ones.
Ken - What an absolutely crappy medical ordeal. Here's hoping that you feel better today. For the record, and it's just me, I refused the flu vaccine my entire life and have never gotten the flu. Other vaccines, yes. I am not an anti-vaxer, just an anti-flu vaxer.
Sherrel - Whose layout did that steamer picture come from?

Looking around here a bit, I haven't noticed Bob (Burlington Bob), in over a month and a half. I miss him and several other regulars.
Today is National Pierogi Day, I have read Chet's praises (and others here on the forum), for this Polish staple. While I have had some, they just aren't on my list of "go to" foods. Maybe I just haven't had a good one.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning! Settling for toast and a quick coffee this morning, as I'm heading to St Albert to do a job for a client. Don't like it much, as it's heading into an area where the virus lurks, from my area that has no reported cases. I'm bringing mask's with me, and intend to avoid everyone and talk to no one. Just do the job and get out. I'll pack a lunch, and make sure the tank is full here.

Willie - I didn't think those figures would fit in a vehicle properly, they just don't look like they would. Haven't tried yet, though. If these figures must be chopped to fit, I'll chop up some unpainted ones, as there are spares in the 26 figure kit. I won't feel so bad if they are painted after getting chopped up. - I'm really liking the layout tours you post; well done! And I'm starting to think the only way to get an invisible elk, is to bump into one with the Dodge pick-up.

I've ordered 3x DPM building kits that were advertised as 2020; then I noticed that the buildings are actually already on layouts posted here in the forum. Can't remember where I saw them, but, they are already out there. Dosen't matter to me, as I never paint stuff as per the box photo anyway, and my intention is to repurpose the buildings. - I only buy plastic buildings for the brick texture, and prefer actual wood for the wood look buildings. - And I'm always keeping an eye open for some material I can use for the metal siding look in the dollar stores. Found a 6' roll of drawer liner that could be used, perhaps. The corrigations might be a little too wide. One day I'll prime a piece and take a photo.

I took this photo the day before yesterday, early in the morning. You've seen this SD40 before, but I really like the colors of the early morning, so I'm showing it from this angle:
EarlySD40-10-06-2020.jpg

And here's a yard shot from a couple weeks ago:
StageCN_09-26-2020 (2).jpg

Gotta go! Have a good one!

Willie: National Pierogi Day? I haven't imbibed in a good one myself in over 45 years. My great grandmother and grandmother used to make them. When we moved to Kansas in 1975, I haven't had a real one since. I've had a couple of passable attempts, just like most "Polish" sausage. Their great hotdogs, but a far cry from real Polish sausage. I have a Polish butcher in Michigan I order some from once or twice a year. Although I haven't ordered this year. His family and mine in Michigan go way back.

Sherrel: I finally had a chance to magnify your "Eye Candy". Wichita Northwestern? A small RR that went out of business in 1941. It was troubled almost from the start.

Good morning . ... Coffee and donuts, please.

Ken ... Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your meidcalmissues yesterday, nd I hope you feel better today.

Sherrel ..... That's a nice looking Frisco 0-6-0.

WIllie .... Your layout certainly has some very active 1/87 people. Was there a wind storm at the chair factory causing chars to fall over?

Terry ..... But, I was about to make a comment on politics. Oh well.

Everybody ..... Have a great day !

Morning to the "shop" dwellers! Currently 63* with a high of only 78* today - and for the next 3 days - I am going to have to dig out the overcoats and mittens to survive! It appears that the 5% rain was just a CYA ?

Willie, Garry, Patrick, and Alan --- That steamer photo is from RJ Thomas who is a FRISCO modeler in San Antonio. He has an around the garage shelf layout that he is still working on with excellent detail.
Most all of his modeling is from an earlier time frame with most all rolling stock being the older wooden kits and heavily modified older style freight cars. I am not sure that I have even seen a diesel on his layout?

TROY - I have no idea what you are talking about ...I think you have eaten too many donuts? LOL.

GUY - Very nice SD loco - great lighting; So Bullwinkle lives to forage another day - just don't bump into his too hard with the truck. I think he will win!

KEN - that is the damndest medical runaround I have heard about in a long while. Sure hope that you are feeling better.

In the homefront news ... the Spousal unit is trying to get set up for her knee - she is down to what the doctor wished for!
FWIW I don't ever want to get another flu shot ... I was so sick from two prior years that I swore off them and did not get one last year; with the COVID this year, I have not decided this go round?

Morning to the "shop" dwellers! Currently 63* with a high of only 78* today - and for the next 3 days - I am going to have to dig out the overcoats and mittens to survive! It appears that the 5% rain was just a CYA ?

Willie, Garry, Patrick, and Alan --- That steamer photo is from RJ Thomas who is a FRISCO modeler in San Antonio. He has an around the garage shelf layout that he is still working on with excellent detail.
Most all of his modeling is from an earlier time frame with most all rolling stock being the older wooden kits and heavily modified older style freight cars. I am not sure that I have even seen a diesel on his layout?

TROY - I have no idea what you are talking about ...I think you have eaten too many donuts? LOL.

GUY - Very nice SD loco - great lighting; So Bullwinkle lives to forage another day - just don't bump into his too hard with the truck. I think he will win!

KEN - that is the damndest medical runaround I have heard about in a long while. Sure hope that you are feeling better.

In the homefront news ... the Spousal unit is trying to get set up for her knee - she is down to what the doctor wished for!
FWIW I don't ever want to get another flu shot ... I was so sick from two prior years that I swore off them and did not get one last year; with the COVID this year, I have not decided this go round?

Maybe Troy smelled to much glue yesterday kinda crazy talk this morning

Last edited:
Here are two stock cars I added to my layout this morning. One is CB&Q and one is GN.

I built them in recent days from old Walthers kits. I think Chet will recall he sent them to me maybe a couple of years ago. Thanks, Chet! They were undecorated, and so I painted and lettered them after adding a small amount of material for the lettering.

The kits included trucks to be assembled with tiny springs. All of the springs were tangled together so tightly that I could not separate them. I gave up on them. Instead, I used some trucks I had in my stash of model train parts.

I now have 16 stock cars completed and on the layout. I still have 5 unbuilt stock car kits of various manufacturers.

50437762422_2bbe8ee0bd_k.jpg

Ah.... You all need to spend some time hanging with The Dude. Just make sure you get the correct Lebowski. There are two Jeffery Lebowski's in the movie. But only one Walter.

"Where's the money Lebowski?"
"I think it's down there, let me look again..."

"He peed on your rug, dude..."

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, dude..."

And, "that rug really ties the room together..."

On a different note, I did discover I CAN fit 2' x 8' sheets of masonite/hardboard in my Toyota Camry (2016 model). Have to bend them when they get to the front seat. Who needs the rearview mirror anyway? ;) Now, I'm off to paint them sky blue.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning at the VA and did get a flu shot while there. After getting home the wife convinced me I should help her make masks for daughter's fellow teachers. I wisely said Yes Dear! :rolleyes: In the layout room I test ran the 2-8-8-2 all possible ways to test the loco and to make sure there were no issues with scenery. The ordered WS bushes came in so I finished around the rock face. Tomorrow I have about 18" to do.

Ken- Sounds tough. I hope the clot turns out to be minor.

Sherrel- Nice layout shot. On the same kind of note my Mom told me after I retired from the Navy that every time I deployed she worried about me. Seems she doesn't trust submarines that much...I never knew.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Guy- Nice 1:1 shots.

Garry- Nice looking stock cars and scene.

20201008_132709.jpg

20201008_132847.jpg

20201008_133404.jpg

20201008_133623.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....nice sunny day here in Wisconsin.

A couple of shocks this afternoon. A found out that a development down the road is a 170 unit Luxury Apartment project on the high end of middle income. Nice looking but who needs the extra traffic. But, farther down about 1.5 miles is a 180 unit, estate size lot subdivision with single family homes planned in the $500k range. Hard to beat progress, but I hated to see the countryside carved up.

My ballast spreader arrived today and it looks like a cool tool which should make spreading ballast easier. I never minded spreading ballasting, but my old back starts to hurt after standing for a while. This will speed the process up since I have two long lead tracks into the Interchange and the Interchange to finish ballasting.

1602189471248.png

The lever on the left controls the amount of ballast being laid and the front level starts and stops the flow of ballast. Even comes with metal wheels!!! If you are lazy, you can pull it by a locomotive if you wish.

Garry: Another nice shot of the cattle pens and stock cars. I seen on another layout two of Walthers' Champion Packing Houses combined to make a large complex with three tracks serving the company. I think one packing house survives in downtown Milwaukee, but isn't active. My FIL was an investigator for the Wisconsin Department of Ag - Consumer Protection Division and inspected small processing companies and packing houses.

Curt: Great looking table table and locomotive.

Almost time to play rummy with the wife. I think I only beat her three times since we started playing last Christmas.

Later friends.....

Greg

######################

Good evening fellow modelers. Flu shot day for my wife and me. Our part of Wisconsin was beautiful today. Much warmer tomorrow but winds in the 30’s tomorrow, so says the Weather Channel and the TV guys.

I am not modeling, no reason but no desire at this time. My wife and I came to an agreement over dinner last night. I was going to the train room from 7-10 Central time and she was not going to talk to me at all except to say good night. I am so frustrated with current events I do not want to hear about them or read about them. It has affected me greatly. I will get over it but I would have walked last night but it gets dark so quickly.

Great pictures being shown.

My wife retired as an administator in one of Wisconsin’s larger school districts in 2008. 14 years as a teacher, 22 as an administrator. We were at a family reunion/ get together with her mom, sister and brothers. Her sister had just gotten promoted at work to office manager and $52,000. a year salary. Terry’s mom said to Terry, if only you could have been so successful, what did teaching get you. I proceeded to burn completely that little bridge I had left with the MIL. She was a meany.

TomO

Round about that time is when they come live with you. You look outside and there's a flashing neon sign above you house that says WELCOME to the HOTEL CALIFORNIA , and they dont never leave.

there was a discussion where the MIL should live. Moved in with Terry’s sister, thankfully. Even as she was getting ready to pass she could never get how successful Terry was and how successful we are together.

TomO

there was a discussion where the MIL should live. Moved in with Terry’s sister, thankfully. Even as she was getting ready to pass she could never get how successful Terry was and how successful we are together.

TomO
Just think how much fun she'll have with the guy downstairs making the other inhabitant's, miserable too. Everyone has a skill they excell at.

Greetings...

Back to normal attire today. Much abiding was done yesterday, and some hobby time. Unfortunately, this is our last warm and nice weekend of the season here in The Fort. Wife will have me outside, working to put the patio furniture away, and generally doing outside chores. Train room time may be limited.

Trying to come up with an excuse to go get a donut this morning, so I just need a plate of bacon and coffee.

What did I do yesterday? Added some sky! Two of the four panels painted and installed. The corner will have a mountain and tunnel to disguise it, so I'm not concerned about curving the hardboard. Just need to paint the one feature I can't block - the door to the elect panel. Didn't feel like taping it off and getting a brush wet yesterday. Hopefully this weekend around the Honey-do storm.

i-HDNskr8-L.jpg

the pile of foam is just a placeholder as I try to envision how to build this area in front up.

Here's the left half of the layout for perspective
i-Jk2PVBR-L.jpg

If I actually get some time and motivation, I'll break out the airbrush and try to add some clouds.

Good morning, Happy Friday! 42° and sunny.

Today is National Pierogi Day, I have read Chet's praises (and others here on the forum), for this Polish staple. While I have had some, they just aren't on my list of "go to" foods. Maybe I just haven't had a good one.

Willie: The best pierogi I ever had were made by the next door neighbor. She made them for her church's weekly pierogi sale. Ironically, these were the Ukrainian version. There are numerous brands available in at Shoprite and Stop & Shop in Central and North Jersey, but the best are a Kosher brand sold at Shop Rite and Costco. My mother's version never turned out quite right. For some reason they had the consistency of a hockey puck. :rolleyes:

Ken: Sorry to hear of your medical issues.

Time for another Ride on the Reading. Remember, if you pass go....

RDG 843 at Sedgewick on the RDG Hill Branch 10-05-1968 Hal Smith Photo.jpg

Departing Sedgewick on the Chestnut Hill Branch, 10/05/1968. Hal Smith Photo

Reading F7s at Erie Ave.jpg

Road power, (F7s in their last year), at Erie Avenue. Photographer Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back