Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. In this part of the world, it is clear and 45°, headed up to 65° before a week of highs in the mid-70's. It's the time of year where I let the fire in the wood burning heater go out most days and restart it at night. The totally unexpected rain yesterday afternoon left me with 1.25" in the rain gauge. It was mostly a slow drizzle over 12 hours. No runoff to speak of, it all soaked in. Unexpected because it didn't show up in the forecast until it had already started.
Daughter #2 came up and picked up the granddog yesterday before the rain started. While she will miss the wide open spaces around here, she also misses rolling around on the floor with my grandsons who play with her more than I do. Although she tried, she never caught any of the rabbits, vultures or squirrels that she chased. I truly believe that the vultures taunt her on purpose by flying/soaring 4' over the ground when she's outside.
Tomorrow is the rescheduled date for my wife's surgery to have her titanium replacement knee joint re-inserted after eight weeks of those plastic spacers in there. I have to have her at the hospital at 0700. It's supposed to be done as an outpatient surgery, so she will not have to spend the night.

Thanks to all who commented or liked the Drywell Inks structure yesterday; Joe, Rick, Karl, Guy, IB Ken, Dave, OB Ken, Christian, Hughie, Tom, Louis, Jaz, Curt, Patrick, Sherrel, Jesse.

Out in the train shed yesterday, i just did some very small projects that were on my to-do list. Some are perennially there like painting some more figures, but I studied several scenes that I had targeted and placed a few in each one.
First are a pair of joggers on a street. Location unknown as I haven't decided whether it will be in Charlottesville of the next town of Vernon. It's sorta in between. I may eventually just make it a new town with just four rail-served industries.
View attachment 135979
Then I went over into Maultown to the Dew Duck N cafe and added several figures out front.
View attachment 135980
View attachment 135981
While there, I added another fellow in a sports car pulling in. He'll soon get the two young ladies attention.
View attachment 135982
On the subject of cars, I added four to the bank parking lot.
View attachment 135983
Note the ground cover added Friday.
Another figure was added to the back of the General store over in Jamestown, thus making two workers on break.
View attachment 135984

Mikey - Excellent work on the truck bed. I didn't realize that it was O scale.
Louis -

Are you sure it wasn't intended to be a Festivus pole?
Jesse -

Exactly. I also use old power packs from 80's era Tyco and Bachmann train sets. Read the output carefully. Personally I would have a switch on both sides of the power supply, a typical 120v light switch on the input side, which can be for many of them via a multi-outlet surge protector, and mini toggle switches to individual power busses as needed. Since I have only so far used incandescent lighting, I cannot comment directly regarding resistors. I mainly use 16v bulbs powered on a 12v buss which doesn't overpower/blind you with light. I have a package of LED bulbs and resistors that I just haven't installed yet.

Speaking of French Toast, today is National French Toast Day. Today is also the First Sunday of Advent for many religions.
Everyone have a great day. Stay safe.
That's what everyone needs to do. Get out there and do some jogging.

I used to enjoy jogging during my Marine Corps career. Long haul execercise treks with pack and support gear obviously took its toll. Post career jogging continued until my back condition just wouldn't tolerate it anymore. 5 mile morning runs was the norm. As Arthritis set in my long runs would turn to walks with some jogging. Spinal curvature, bone spurs, herniated discs and stenosis limited my duration even more. Now, I get an occasional steroid injection directly into the spinal colume to help things. Motrin is my candy. Despite the pains radiating down my legs, arms and around my rib cage, I still do the long haul motorcycle trips coast to coast. A back support belt helps alot.

1638139801042.png

Thanks again Willie!

Last edited:
Good evening y'all.

Made it to Fayetteville in time to hit the Hobbytown today. I don't want to call it a waste of time, because at least now I know not to bother with it again. They did have some train related goods, but not much, and what they did have was all HO scale. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check out the other shop I planned to visit. After settling in and ordering a pizza, I decided to start working on the service station. Looks like I'll have to use the "glass" that came with the kit in order for everything to fit properly (I'll post pics soon to explain), so I think I will try to cover them main window with sales posters or something to cover up some of the imperfections in the casting. Amazon says the detail parts I ordered will be arriving between Dec 13-31, so I'm hoping for the earlier while preparing for the later.

I passed through a lot of small towns on my trek through the backcountry to get here, and saw a lot of cool old buildings that have given me some good modeling ideas. Oh, curse my lack of space, funding, and time to work on 9,000 things at once. 🤣

Y'all have a blessed evening. I'm going to lurk and work on my service station.

Well -- Guess What? The traveling Spousal Unit Lady changed her mind once more - I'm happy - along with her Mom and her youngest daughter. I just didn't like what I have been reading on some of the overseas news blogs, but I had not said anything to her. I think that her daughter gave her an earful and she appears to have decided NOT to venture overseas at this time. She already had concerns that she may get locked down somewhere along the way?

Mikey - I remember seeing a few old log trucks that ran a close race to the one you are building there. That be me in the sports car!

GREG - Neat story about your chair episode with Bart Starr. That's cool - bet Cathy's mouth fell open when he called you by name.
Rogers is looking pretty good - game so far!

MIKE - Really nice photos and scenery!
You lost me on the picture taking - Who's on First?

Francine - I'm late today -- how about a BLT with avocado and fries, oh and double up on the bacon? A Coke to drink with it all, please

I have used dull coat on certain windows in the past with good results covering imperfections. Test it first, and use Testor's Dull Coat only.
I'll see if I can track some down tomorrow. Had to hold off on doing much more tonight. I need to get some paint for the interior walls before gluing in the glass, otherwise the windows are gonna glow no matter what I do to them.

I used to enjoy jogging during my Marine Corps career. Long haul execercise treks with pack and support gear obviously took its toll. Post career jogging continued until my back condition just wouldn't tolerate it anymore. 5 mile morning runs was the norm. As Arthritis set in my long runs would turn to walks with some jogging. Spinal curvature, bone spurs, herniated discs and stenosis limited my duration even more. Now, I get an occasional steroid injection directly into the spinal colume to help things. Motrin is my candy. Despite the pains radiating down my legs, arms and around my rib cage, I still do the long haul motorcycle trips coast to coast. A back support belt helps alot.
Yes the 25 mile USMC double time march would wake you up in the morning. I was a truck drive in the Marine Corps I didn't go on many marches but I did walk playing golf until I was 60 years old. 15 years later it's hard to get me out of the cart. I recently made some drastic changes to my layout which I'll be posting here soon.
George

My phone went thru the laundry so it quit working. (ok- no phone for you)

So Wife got a smart phone so her camera is very close. (?? close to what??)

And the kids and grand kids will show her how to work the thing.(ok)

So I got the camera. Figured I might as well use it. (the camera from her old phone, new phone, or your flip phone) I just use an old flip fone, not a phone person myself.

Mike
MIKE - really doesn't matter - I just couldnt figure out what game of musical chairs you were playing. Still really good photos and modeling.

Mikey - I remember seeing a few old log trucks that ran a close race to the one you are building there. That be me in the sports car!
Sherrel- I think that you in that Corvette goes beyond wishful thinking, maybe just fantasy!

I finished painting the truck's grill and front end in pic 6.
Pic 7 shows the weathering of the acrylic body and bed with a light brown wash.
I finished with a satin clear coat in pic 9 to protect the paint and weathering while being handled.

I have one final picture to share tomorrow featuring a special load on the truck, as soon as I get it done.

Attachments

• mack kit 6.jpg
    mack kit 6.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 87
  • mack kit 7.jpg
    mack kit 7.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 99
  • mack kit 9.jpg
    mack kit 9.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 110
one

MIKE - really doesn't matter - I just couldnt figure out what game of musical chairs you were playing. Still really good photos and modeling.
Wife carries the phone with her, and phone has a camera. The camera I got is not a phone. Wife will not be using it to take pics of gkids. Gkids can explain smart fones better than us old farts. Hopefully this explains my post, and my mind baffles me quite often as well.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back