Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some minor chores today then washed the rail crane with warm water and a toothbrush to clean it. After that I applied Goo Gone by micro brushes to the old decals stripping them off and rewashed the crane and left it to dry. I probably won't get back to it until after Thanksgiving.

Tex- Nice lineup of motive power.

Tom- Nice looking layout photos.

Willie- Nice looking building and trash.

I hope everyone has a good night.

As WALTER says- HOLY CRAP ! I thought this is FLORIDA. Temp.went down to 45* last night and will be back down tonight. If we could speak Spanish, we would head down to MIAMI.
Keep those pixs posting everyone Enjoy seeing what can and is being done.
Prayers and Blessings,
PHIL

I'M GREAT IN BED. I CAN SLEEP FOR DAYS.

Here you go fellers. It's been forever since I've dug up some pics for y'all. Hope y'all enjoy.
27063354427_4ae69d7489.jpg
897930488_854114032d.jpg

3226457186_a7644339b0_b.jpg

The best laid plans of men and mice oft go astray!
No museum layout work tonight. I got an email just before I left to go down to the museum..
There was a water leak at the museum and it was shut down while repairs were made and the water damage cleaned up.
We will have to reschedule our layout work.

I spent the evening finishing a couple details on the market kit.
It turned out fairly well, I think. Dang! Forgot to remove the rubber band on the roof sign.
ACE MKT 1.JPG
ACE MKT 1.JPG

Hi gang, just a quick check-in - no time for anything else.

I've been immersed in scenery work over the past week, was getting ready to apply static grass in "layers" of different lengths - until I discovered that the only adhesive that wouldn't wreck the base layer is only available in the UK and will require a minimum of two weeks to get shipped to North America. I tried an experiment where I pre-sprayed "wet" tap water over part of the already-planted 2mm static grass area, then used a pipette to gently apply a watered-down Elmers solution and let it soak-in under the base layer, before sprinkling-on some 4mm fibers. At first it looked promising, but the 2mm fibers gradually laid flat and/or clumped together...FAIL!

I posted an inquiry topic about this across the street because, I figured with the higher level of traffic there, I'd have a better chance of getting workaround suggestions as opposed to just "sympathy" replies. I know there are modelers on this side of the Atlantic who were sharing photos of fantastic static grass scenes of mixed lengths, long before this WWS Layering Adhesive Spray even appeared on the market; hopefully one of them will respond. Failing that, I'll bite the bullet and order the WWS stuff, and put my project on hold for however many weeks it takes to arrive. But I'll be thoroughly pist if I have to do that - after all, I took three days off from work so I'd have time to complete this scene!:mad:

Next time I'll try to post more than just a rant...thanks for listening!

It's
Hi gang, just a quick check-in - no time for anything else.

I've been immersed in scenery work over the past week, was getting ready to apply static grass in "layers" of different lengths - until I discovered that the only adhesive that wouldn't wreck the base layer is only available in the UK and will require a minimum of two weeks to get shipped to North America. I tried an experiment where I pre-sprayed "wet" tap water over part of the already-planted 2mm static grass area, then used a pipette to gently apply a watered-down Elmers solution and let it soak-in under the base layer, before sprinkling-on some 4mm fibers. At first it looked promising, but the 2mm fibers gradually laid flat and/or clumped together...FAIL!

I posted an inquiry topic about this across the street because, I figured with the higher level of traffic there, I'd have a better chance of getting workaround suggestions as opposed to just "sympathy" replies. I know there are modelers on this side of the Atlantic who were sharing photos of fantastic static grass scenes of mixed lengths, long before this WWS Layering Adhesive Spray even appeared on the market; hopefully one of them will respond. Failing that, I'll bite the bullet and order the WWS stuff, and put my project on hold for however many weeks it takes to arrive. But I'll be thoroughly pist if I have to do that - after all, I took three days off from work so I'd have time to complete this scene!:mad:

Next time I'll try to post more than just a rant...thanks for listening!
It's the old 1-2-3 syndrome Ken
1; set out to do something you've made time for.
2; something else stuffs that up
3; is the number of steps backwards before you can restart.
4; is the extra one you never would have guessed.

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my last post.

Tom - Fine photos from the show. The drive-in theater is a cool feature!
Willie - All the "accessories" beside the building looks good. A lot like behind my shed.
Justin - nice photos
Patrick - good to hear your knee is feeling better.
Mikey - interesting super market

I spent the last couple of days fixin' a section of mainline that would derail two of my 6-axle locos. They would only derail at a certain speed, and then not all the time. The derail section was a S-curve just before the bridge between the two layout tables.
I tried changing the angle of the bridge and tweaking the curves, but no success. What I really needed was a curved bridge. I didn't want to buy another one, so I was determined to make the straight bridge work.
The problem was the radius, which was slightly too small. The bridge and track had to be moved 3" to the left.
This presented another problem as the track would be off the one table. So I had to construct extensions on the side of each bench. I re-laid the cork, track and installed two new feeders. Success! My main is up and running
with no derails. (see photos below)

Now I can get back to my scheduled construction. But all this extra work deserves time to running the trains! :)

Have a good one . . .

Before
79ahZd2.jpg

After
8YyZ7nh.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning all,

Coffee this morning, thanks Flo.

Not a lot going on with the trains. I need to finish up the storage and move stuff so I can see if I need more of them while they're still on sale.

max: Glad to hear you solved your issue. I had a similar issue with my first lift bridge, where coming off a curve onto the straight too quick was causing a derail in one direction. 28" radius of all things.

EVERYONE - HERE'S MY POST FROM YESTERDAY (MONDAY) - I MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN TO HIT "POST REPLY" - INTERESTING THAT IT'S BEEN SITTING HERE ALL THIS TIME.

Good morning everyone. 38 and sunny out there. I'll have coffee and a chocolate croissant, please, Flo. Make that 2 croissants!!

Willie, Chet, Patrick, and anyone else - thanks for the ideas, likes, quotes, etc.
Chet - that's a nice long train at the club.

Nice weekend just passed. Saturday was still a little too cold, so we did some Christmas shopping. Sunday we came home from church, my wife took the car and went out for about 6 hours of shopping - I still don't know how she does that - and I stayed home and put up the outdoor Christmas lighting and did some leaf raking/disposal. Then spent the rest of the time loafing.

Did get the Outpost building finished. At least 95% finished - still need to touch up some paint, put up a couple more advertising signs, and add people. I started looking around and realized I'm pretty much out of people. So, off goes an MB Klein order today - when it gets here I'll finish this project and place it on the layout. Here are a couple of photos:

Outpost2.jpg
Outpost3.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone. 54 and cloudy out there. I'll have a ham omelet and coffee, please, Flo.

So, now there's nothing to report for today. I must have forgotten to hit "Post Reply" after typing my post yesterday. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe just another sign that it's time for me to retire?!?!

Nothing new from the train room or the modeling workbench except that I ran trains for a few minutes last night and I'm going to work on that sign for the Outpost structure. Plus waiting for an order to come in - some new miniature folks want to move into the neighborhood and take up residence - I always welcome new folks, especially if they pay 1:87 taxes:rolleyes:

Happy two-days-before-Thanksgiving!!

Hey, Toot - you have anything like a Thanksgiving celebration in Australia?

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 56° and mostly cloudy. Headed down south to Irving TX this morning to pick up tonight's supper, a deep fried turkey. I have posted in the past about the owner of a screen company that I used to do business with that deep fries over 300 turkeys each Thanksgiving for customers and friends. Since I always celebrate with family in Dallas on Thursday, this one provides me with the leftovers that I would miss otherwise. If you have never had one, they are quite good.

Start me off with some scrambled eggs and bacon this morning Francine.

Thanks for the comments and likes for the updated scenery shots yesterday; Patrick, Jerome, Garry, Justin, Phil, Curt, Tom, Chad, Jim, Johnny.

Getting into a week of very limited time in the train shed. I started on the alley on the other side of the structure but didn't make much progress. I did decide that it will be a candy store; I saw one in a picture here about two months ago, I think that it was on Chet's layout. I spent some time yesterday downloading pictures from the Internet that I might be able to use as storefronts. In the meantime, here's another unseen eatery lurking on the layout. The Golden Dragon Chinese take-out is just a stock Walter's kit with figures and vehicles added.
11-26-19 003.001.JPG

Backdrop partially provided by me!

Karl -
This getting older stuff sucks!
As I used to tell Louis, pace yourself. Driver only status is pacing at a last resort. Yes I remember when I could physically do that much...these days it's about half of what you attempted without the heating pad.
Get well soon.
Terry - Really liked the hospital poster.
Garry - You and the whole family are still in my prayers this holiday season.
Greg - Good luck with the door.
Mikey - Nice looking market. I don't recall if you posted whether it was going on your layout or the museum's?
Jim - Really nice job re-aligning that section of track and rebuilding the approaches. Looks much smoother now.

Planning on getting on the road early this morning, so good bye for now.
Everybody have a great Tuesday.

until I discovered that the only adhesive that wouldn't wreck the base layer is only available in the UK and will require a minimum of two weeks to get shipped to North America.
Ken: First of all, I do not have an answer for you, but I find it hard to believe that the only source of the product is a distributor in the UK. There has to be a similar product available locally. Since I haven't gone that far as yet, I'm curious about possible solutions to your problem.

Willie, Jim, Johnny and Mikey: Nice photos showing off your respective work. Mikey, fret not about the rubber band on the roof. I would never have noticed the rubber band if you had not pointed out.:rolleyes:

Update on the firehouse project, I managed to remove the engine room door, and two entry doors, without destroying the building. ;) Found a new door for the front entrance, which inexplicably , allows one to walk through the hose drying tower in order to gain entrance to the building. o_O
I decided to leave the engine room door open, which requires a higher level of detail inside the structure. Stay tuned!

Today we had a slightly cooler start to our day, which is predicted to be sunny and relatively mild. Thursday,, is expected to be windy, which may impact the floats in the Macy's parade.

Boris

Good Afternoon All,

I finished off the last wife job for Thanksgiving:). Tonight the family is coming over for Mom's 84th birthday.

Garry- Nice layout shot. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Justin- Nice 1:1 photos.

Mikey- Nice job on the market.

Ken- Sorry to hear of your issues. Unfortunately I have never used the stuff.

Max- That should work much better for you.

Johnny- Love the building color. It reminds me of Cloudcroft/Ruidoso NM in the 60's.

Willie- The restaurant needs some dogs and cats around it!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon all. Temp wise not to bad, 77 but very humid.

Thanks to all for the likes. Nothing to report from the train room. Might run them a little later.
Helping with the house cleaning before the crowd arrives on Thursday. Later

posse -- Great picture, but buurrrr! I love pictures taken after a fresh snow, but this one makes me feel cold just looking at it. Metal bridge instead of trees maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back