Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure I'll give y'all some of my layout updates from this weekend. I placed my structures as best as I can for what I have. I'm confident I can make this work. Didn't do much today as today was my birthday and well I had guests to tend to. I did run my trains for them and explained where I'm at. Got some helpful insight from my brother the coal miner on the best setup for my load out. Got his opinions on my road setup and everything else. So here's what I came up with. Do bear in mind that the depot in my layout is there for planning only. I have an actual C&O depot to put in its place. On the camp side I have three more camp houses coming to bump my count up to 4. My other camp house fell and isn't fixable. One wasnt going to cut it. So three more should be here Thursday. Hopefully. The recommendation is to do a dirt road into the camp. I haven't made my mind up on that just yet. I don't know if y'all can tell in the photo with the depot. The turnout on the right is the one I'll have to replace. The top rail is broken flush off and is only hanging on by the pivot joint. It still works however I'm always having to move the rail when I operate it. It's more annoying than anything. Anyways it's back to work tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good night.
20191104_004921.jpg

20191104_005007.jpg

Morning all,

Clear and 37 in Doo-Dah this morning. Supposed to get to 60 today, we'll see.

Busy Friday and Saturday, but was able to spend at least 5 hours yesterday on trains. I usually put a movie on while I work and know I "watched" 2. They are movies I own on DVD and have seen a bunch of times. I do it for some additional noise in the basement. I completed the inner loop and laid out the cork for the 2 sidings.

While one is basically a passing siding, the second is going to be my rail yard, which at this point only has the main run laid out. I also attached the powered switch solenoids to the installed switches, but I still need to wire them. I actually have some decent photos, but the site is a little slow at taking them.
Dueling bridges (both work great)
20191103_155820.jpg

It was nice to move trains between the 2 loops. It will be even better when the switches are powered! Ran 2 engines on the 2 loops at the same time. Unfortunately they are wired together at this time, so both engines move the same direction, but 2 trains on 2 otherwise independently wired loops is coolness!!!!

And yes I drank both of those Route 44 diet Cokes while I was working. It is my only real vice.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 51° and clear. Expecting high around 75° with these blustery south winds to continue until sunset whenever that is now. Had company over all day yesterday, company that didn't want to see the layout! :mad: Last time I invite them over!:confused: Beautiful day otherwise.

I feel like a couple of sausage, egg, potato and cheese breakfast burritos this morning Francine. Big bowl of hot salsa to go with them. That ought to get me started.

Thanks for the likes and comments for the post yesterday; Justin, Joe, Chet, Tom, Phil, Lee, Sherrel, Curt, Jerome, Patrick, Clint.

Due to the company, I didn't get any modeling time at all yesterday. I only visited the train shed after they left after I grilled burgers. I did run a couple of trains, but I don't do modeling after an influx of adult beverages.
Digging through the archives, I came across two different versions of a Walther's kit, actually an updated Magnuson kit from the early 80's. It was originally known as the Gemini Building.
09-13-14 009.JPG
Counter and soda machine in the auto parts store; and the appliances in the right hand store are all small wood carvings.
Same structure, different name 20 years later, now sold as Jim's Red Owl.
06-12-16 012.JPG

I have a number of other examples of mostly DPM and Walther's duplicate structures that I painted differently for different businesses. They are generally on different levels and aisles so no one notices but me.
That brings up an observation. DPM has really stagnated since it's take-over by Woodland Scenics. Nothing new from them except the same structures now sold as built-ups.

Lee - Nice work on the transfer caboose. Crane project will be interesting.
Tex - Looking forward to the two projects. Thanks for the link on 4014. Closest it's coming to me is Marshall TX, a bit over 200 miles away. Looks like it will be there for two days. Not real sure why it wasn't routed through Ft Worth, where UP has a major presence.
Justin - Looking good. Good luck finding time to proceed with Dad duties taking priority.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 41 and clear as a bell out there. Two nice days before rain hits Wednesday night. I'll have a couple of eggs over medium, some bacon really crisp, and a gallon of coffee, Flo - thanks.

Patrick, Lee, IB Ken, Tom, RoofinTrash, Flip, CCoffran, Chad, Sherrel, Wheeler, PinkFloyd, Louis, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for all the likes and comments on my progress photos from last Friday.
Chet - Nice photos from your layout, as usual. Glad to see you back bowling full strength. Wish I could bowl again - was on my high school team and many teams in my adult years, but after my knee injury (motorcycle accident while in the Navy) and subsequent surgery almost 30 years ago, i can't do that "slide" on my delivery, so I have quit bowling altogether.:(
Willie, Lee, Patrick - Really nice photos from your work on the layouts and the rolling stock.
Willie - I hear you about running into UNT traffic after a game - That's my alma mater, though - Go Mean Green!!

Well, the craft fair wasn't a total bust, but not very good. Even my Friday one-day sale only brought one more customer. Made about enough to pay my latest order from ModelTrainStuff, but that's about it. Hope my connection with that gift shop in New York brings in some orders - won't know for a few weeks yet.

Had all the kids and their families over yesterday for dinner. Always a great time of conversation, showing off the trains, playing a few games, etc.

Here are a couple of photos from my progress on the north side of the layout. Except for the main road and the gravel roads into the industrial area, and putting some figures to work on those structures, I'm going to call this area finished. It butts up against the train yard, which is another area that needs work. That may be the next area to work on.

BEFORE:
DairyAndLumberyard1_Oct_2019.jpg

NOW:
NorthAreaImprovementProgress1_Nov_2.jpg

And a close-up of the dairy building. You can see the beginning of the train yard to the right.
NorthAreaImprovementProgress2_Nov_2.jpg

Made some progress on the ranch house build, too - windows are in, window treatments are in place. Just got to put the roof on, chimney in place, and I think that's ready for the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning from way out here! Starting the day at 44* on the way to 81 for a possible high with (once again) clear, bright, sunny skies.
Got the wife to the A/P yesterday morning - left the house at 3:40 (an ungodly time) and arrived there at 4:45 for a 6 AM departure. Fortunately, she did not have to walk very far to reach her departure gate - said that she slept all the way to Dallas where she had to change planes. I found out that 3-4 AM is the perfect time to head for the airport - the traffic was very light, and although I was doing 70-75MPH - I was getting blown off the road; it is no wonder that there are so many crashes out here?

OK, I was pretty wiped out and really did nothing except watch one and one-half football games (I gave up on the Packers about 1/2 way through) What a lousy game they played; I think they thought they were in practice or something? A disgusting performance - everyone bests the Chargers!
Giving up on the football, I tried to watch "Breakheart Pass" on U-Tube, but must have been doing something wrong -- I never could get it to run more than a few minutes - they kept wanting me to pay - Said it was supposed to be free?

LEE - nice work on the work caboose! Watching your rescue of the crane.

Patrick - I like the progress you are making - slow but steady! My first "new" P/U ($2,800) was a 67 Dodge with a slant six.
It was a a simple machine, AM radio, heater, no A/C and never gave any trouble, except it wasn't worth a toot living in the snow country of Silverton, CO - traded it in on a Jeep wagoneer.

Coffee needs a refi - later guys.

Willie - I hear you about running into UNT traffic after a game - That's my alma mater, though - Go Mean Green!!
Also mine and my wife's alma mater, although only she graduated. Are you aware that they put the wrecking ball to Fouts Field last spring, 8 years after the new Apogee Field was completed?

Try this again:

This is the station\passing siding route:
20191103_155752.jpg
20191103_155758.jpg
20191103_155802.jpg

And the start "mainline" of the yard.
20191103_155807.jpg
20191103_155810.jpg
20191103_155815.jpg

The yard line will have left switches running to dead end lines. They won't be as close as I'd like, but they will have some length. I have been using wired rail connectors, but looking at what I paid for the ones I have years ago, I decided to try my hand at building one, Have soldering iron will travel. The first one I built works fine. I have a ton of the rail connectors and wire, so I decided I'm not buying any more. I think I will end up having one or two yard switches being manual. I'll place those where they're easiest to get to.

You also get a hint at my work space......it's all just the layout. I may have to get rid of stuff I can't or no longer need. I have a 9 new pieces of code 100 flex I probably won't need and a about 30-40 pieces of various length between 18" and 35".

Lee-I do not have the patience to record something with the many great pictures you shared with us on the caboose build. I am constantly amazed at the skills the forum members display and share here.
I often feel that my only talent is having none.
However, y'all inspire me to keep trying.
Chet-now I can select flat and straight boards at Lowes or Home Depot and they will adjust to the humidity in my basement with a twist and a curve that looks like a modern sculpture. I have the same problem with scale lumber at times. You do not seem to have those problems.

Good morning all. Mid 60's and overcast. Looks like yard work is on today's agenda.

Sirfoldalot - You asked for a name, Hughie

Pnkfloyd & Chet - I didn't see where the straight boards conversation started but, I found in the craft section of Walmart several kinds of wood in packages that seem to be pretty straight, hold their shape and easy to work with. The attached photo of a covered bridge is from Walmart wood.
Covered Bridge.jpg

Had a minor(?) setback a couple of days ago when the turntable crapped out, bad enough that I couldn't repair it. Shelled out an unplanned $225 for a new one. It just arrived, so I guess I'll be swapping them out later this afternoon. I'll be stripping the old one of any salvageable parts.

Meanwhile, we're waiting for a technician to come install a new CO2 alarm. I don't know what the big deal is; It just snaps into place on the old one's mounting. I've already done it myself when replacing the batteries. Oh well, it's a free service. We're also waiting on a home inspector to come and approve the installation of our new central ac. It's sort of like waiting for the cable guy.

There's a major annual train show this weekend at Michigan State. It's always held in the Agriculture Dept's Horse Pavilion, and it always smells like, err, "horses," if you get my drift. I need some more turnouts and should be able to find some there. Next year I might rent a table and sell off some of my excess train gear.

FB_IMG_1572885410805.jpg

Last edited:
Also mine and my wife's alma mater, although only she graduated. Are you aware that they put the wrecking ball to Fouts Field last spring, 8 years after the new Apogee Field was completed?

WOW - it's been 18 years since I've been on the campus, so there's probably been a million changes. I should stop by next time we're in that area, just to see the place.

Patrick Willie And Johnny Thanks for the complement and nice progress on your layouts

Sherrel Thanks for the complement it’s been a fun build

Pinkfloyd. Thanks for the complement and don’t be so hard on your self

Thanks to everyone for the likes also

Beady -- Someone was looking for an N Scale turntable pit?
If possible - i'm sure he would gladly take it off your hands?

Hughie - Glad to make your acquaintance! Thought yoou were ignoring me on purpose? (LOL)
The "crooked" boards were in reference to the large, long stuff - not very good for modeling. The covered bridge looks good!

Patrick -- You better get a couple more of those "cola" cups to deal with all that! LOL

Afternoon All,

Got all the stuff back on the pool deck, which let me set the dining room back to normal. During hurricane season we store stuff in the dining room. We still have until 11/30 to Florida's other season (not hurricane season) but we host the family for Thanksgiving so it needed cleared out.

I found out this morning that our youngest grandson (12) while riding the school bus opened the rear door twice while the bus was in motion:mad:. When asked why he did it he gave the typical kid response...I don't know. Now Daughter has to drop him off here on her way to work, we drive him to school and she picks him up after work. This is until the 19th. I swear he does stupid shit just to do stupid shit.

Tex- Nice layout bridge and scene.

Lee- That will be an interesting project.

Justin- It's going to look great when it's done.

Patrick- Great bridges and layout progress shots. I listen to 60's music in the layout room.

Terry- Looks awesome. N scale lets you do a lot in a smaller area.

Johnny- Nice scenes.

Willie- Nice looking buildings. I like the Red Owl best.

Sherrel- That reminds me of our cross country trip on the way to HI. We drove from Charleston to Long Beach to ship the truck. The morning of our flight (very early) we had to drive to the LA Airport (in rental car) and the traffic was as bad as I had ever seen up to that point. I couldn't believe it, and that was in 1981. Of course the rental company tried to screw us about bogus damage, but we beat them on it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. I'm back home from taking my wife to the orthopedic surgeon appointment. She has knee replacement surgery scheduled for December 27.

Guess that she will not be dancing to bring in the New Year?
Prayers for her to have a painless and quick (as can be) recovery if that is still permitted here?

I feel that I am on a Merry-go-round here! Spousal Unit is in N.C. all week to watch the grandsons there while daughter goes to a three day conference off somewhere (husband is overseas deployed) -- just found out that the youngest daughter here locally had an over the top handlebar accident on some type of motorcycle in San Diego yesterday afternoon and was taken to ER with a screwed up shoulder, head abrasions, and a broken-in three places elbow. I do not have all the complete details at this time?
Better see if she needs help with the G-son here - then have to work in a trip to Newport this week. Seems that one of the G-son's there has picked me to do some kind of a school project?

Curt : Believe me - Just because it's there! :eek::p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back