Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ALP-46A is a Bombadier locomotive for the US based on the German DB Class 101, the workhorse of the DB IC routes. (It looks quite a lot like it as well). The locomotive in my avatar is a Fleischmann model DB Class 10. (I have two models of the 101, the Fleischmann and a Minitrix). I thought the body angles looked familiar on the post NJT pic.

Thanks!
Chad, I had no idea, I just loved it in PRR Tuscan red!

Thanks for the details.

NS Locomotives , Equipment and its Predecessors
SD40 # 6047 climbs the grade @ horseshoe curve @ Altoona Pa
1572618084156.png

Chad, I had no idea, I just loved it in PRR Tuscan red!

Thanks for the details.

It is a nice looking livery. If you do an internet search on that locomotive, most of the pics show its normal livery, which is no where near as interesting (if a bit more modern).

There are a couple different Siemens locomotives that have been brought to the US as well. The "problem" is that the safety requirements are much different in the US compared to Europe (or Japan) so that they have to add a LOT of weight in extra structural members for crash resistance to the locomotoves -- even on those lines which don't run 100 car freight trains on the same line. So you don't get a lot of them here (would mostly be all for passenger use). I've read about efforts to update the safety requirements to allow "unchanged" Euro version to run here (structurally unchanged -- things like transformers, ATC, etc would be changed). You'd probably see more regional rail with newer more efficient electric locomotives from Europe if they could get those changes through.

Morning from out here! It is 38* up from the low of 37* - and the record low for this date was 43*
Yesterday afternoon I happened to check and the humidity was a whopping 8%!

FLO, please, I'll have the biscuits and gravy with a handful of bacon this morning. Just coffee to drink.

Spousal Unit bought 113 dollars of candy at Costco to pass out - she only gives one of the big bars to each person. She overheard one of the little goblins saying to his friend, as they were walking towards the door, come on - this is the house that always has the big bars! So let's see - started with 212 bars, ended with 6 which will be shared with the grandson. Twix, plain M&M, and snickers were the winners with the kiddos.

LOUIS - You made some very good points with your posts this morning while on the corner!
I AM JUST SICK AND TIRED OF THE "POLITICS OF DESTRUCTION"!
Time for the jackasses to work for the betterment of the masses - not themselves!

After losing the lead in the 7th I don't have any idea of what Hinch was thinking for the 8th and 9th. I would have put Cole in to start the 8th regardless of the score, but it's easy to second guess.

Certainly is the truth --- Just seems to me that sometimes managers look like a deer in the headlights and can't make a rational decision.

Howdy from AZ again .

Silver Horizon is an observation car from the original California Zephyr. It had been on display adjacent to an Amtrak station in Maricopa, AZ for many years. Recently it was relocated to make room for a highway bridge to cross over the UP tracks. Apparently , a park is under construction at the new site.
0FEBE315-A3D4-47AA-B014-D5D5319B8352.jpeg

Another UP locomotive below. It is hard to take a picture with the bright sun on the other side using a cell phone.

3CC6F4D9-E315-4906-B510-B5E2973FC602.jpeg
I hope everybody has a good day.

Spousal Unit bought 113 dollars of candy at Costco to pass out - she only gives one of the big bars to each person. She overheard one of the little goblins saying to his friend, as they were walking towards the door, come on - this is the house that always has the big bars! So let's see - started with 212 bars, ended with 6 which will be shared with the grandson. Twix, plain M&M, and snickers were the winners with the kiddos.

LOUIS - You made some very good points with your posts this morning while on the corner!
I AM JUST SICK AND TIRED OF THE "POLITICS OF DESTRUCTION"!
Time for the jackasses to work for the betterment of the masses - not themselves!

Sherrel, I love your wife! What a great Halloween you had!

Amen brother, it's time we make them work for us!

Time for me to gather up the left over candy and get ready for work.

Here is one for the working man. I'm so happy to be working again, if you call what I do working, but it keeps me happy!

That reminds me, Beady will appreciate this; Many years ago my now late friend Adam told me about a time he was getting undressed to spend some time with a young lady. When he disrobed she asked "who are you going to please with that little thing" In Adam's usual style he replied grinning "Me!" ;)
Have a great day Everybody!

Good afternoon. Another month shot in the butt. Guess time flies when you're having fun. We are warming up some. Got into the mid 30's yesterday and could see 40 later today.

Terry - Thanks for opening the coffee shop. That locomotive did you find?

Garry - Like your photos. We've done a lot of driving along I-80 between Wells, NY and Reno, NV. Trains galore as the UP line pretty well runs along the interstate. Problem is that I catch all sorts of crap from the wife trying to take photos at 80 mph.

Louis - Nice photos. Don't really want to get into politics, BUT, the democratic party that was around when I was growing up would be conservative today. Nuff said.

Greg - Happy to see that you finally got to spend some time in your train room. More locomotives?? That sounds familiar. Now I do have EENUFF. The Walthers F units do what I need them to at the club and no more are needed for the home layout. Like that CNW caboose.

Johnny
- Nice photos. You're making some good progress.

"Joe - The buildings are looking good. I used a gray primer top paint my side streets to try to simulate weathered asphalt. Use a concrete color for the main street." (From last months forum).

Chet: I found a craft paint color called "Pavement", it looks great when applied, but doesn't seem to adhere well. perhaps once it cures, but when I glued down the segment, I noticed a few small chips, which need touch up.
Boris

I just picked up a large rattle can of the gray primer from the local hardware store and it worked find of the styrene signs that I used for the main and side streets. May have worked better as it is a primer.
attachment.php.jpg45.jpg attachment.php.jpg 1.jpg Logan 010.JPG

Willie - I had thought about getting another one of those ranch houses with the wood siding, but I ran out of room Nice photos.

Back to the LV archives again for a photo. Here's the local repair shop in Churchill.

IMAG0308.jpg

Bowling tonight.Nice to be back contributing to the team. No more subs for me.

Later

Afternoon All,

Cold front went through last night and it was a cool 68 F this morning walking out the door. BRRRRR...Spent 3 hours doing the first of month grocery shopping odyssey. Tomorrow I'm taking the grandkids to a BB gun turkey shoot.

Chet- Nice historical photos. Great layout pictures.

Greg- Nice looking caboose.

Sherrel- Great costume.

Johnny- Very nice modeling.

Willie- Nice job on the houses.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening fellers. It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything. I've had quite a bit of stuff going. Been busy as ever! I had planned on posting a few times but ended up needing to do dad duty everytime I sat down. My son turned 1 on Tuesday. So had a little party for him. He is turning into quite the handful the older he gets. Found he enjoys train videos as much as I do though. Trick or treating for the kids got rained out so it's been rescheduled for Saturday here. So i guess I'll get a good workout there. The missed family came in for my son's birthday. They brought sickness with them. So i get to enjoy a cold at the present moment on top of everything else. I have gotten some train related projects done as well. Pulled two of my shelf model athearns out of the box. One is a repair project that I finally felt up to getting repaired. My chessie gp40 wasnt running correctly. Last time i touched it i cleaned the wheels an reinstalled the axles. It hasn't ran the same since. With that being said. I pulled the axles again. Checked the gauge. Yeah the wheels were out of gauge by a mile. So I adjusted them to spec and reinstalled. Made sure that the axles weren't binding up and lubricated the gears. It runs better but it doesn't take too well to my walk around throttle. So it's back in the box until I build a platform for my tech 4 throttle. Then came my C&O gp35. I have no idea why I shelved this unit. It's been so long since I've ran it that I forgot I removed the coupler pockets off of it. They are missing! Gone! No idea where I put them or why I even removed them in the first place! I cant even remember what I done to it last. And it runs really well! It will at least run slow with the headlight illuminated unlike my workhorse chessie gp35. So now I'll have to dig out my athearn parts boxes to see if i put the boxes in there. I had planned on adding more feeder wires to my layout today but I got sidetracked. So here's hoping for tomorrow. I'll be turning 34 on Sunday. So the misses will be out and about tomorrow for my birthday gift shopping. So I should have time to work on the layout some. I really need to replace a broken turnout on my layout that is a location for a dead spot heading into the yard. I also need to install the wiring for two more blocks. So plenty to do. Just finding the time to do it.

Evening gents. Spent our joint day off running errands with MOH & then doing baskets of laundry at Mom’s as she has her own washer & dryer in her apartment. It’s been next to impossible to get into the laundry room in our building for the past almost 2 weeks. Every time we had a spare moment to do a load or 2, we’d get to the hallway only to hear the machines all running. Finally got the last load in the washer, so we will be caught up for a lil bit. Maybe get back into train room one of these days. Work starting to get busy as we get close to our peak season later this month. Fun, fun, fun.

I have had a most frustrating evening with SMD's and optic fiber. I have a selection of SMD's to experiment with and I was intending to glue some onto the end of bits of the fiber for insertion into the h/lights and r/lights of some Athearns to replace the bulbs when converting to DCC/sound. I had some that had both wires in black and I had tested them to get the polarities correct. Cut 1 wire short to indicate negative. I had also bought some with red and black wires, later, which I figured would be much better.

So, I started to try to glue the fiber to the red and black wired ones with CA as a test. I've got 3 different tubes of that with different properties. I've also got some E6000 glue to try as well. I had previously tried the twin black wired ones using CA with success. Very quick, and once the fiber was attached, could twist the wires up easily soon after. But no way, no how, no sir, would any of the CA's or the E6000 hold fast, or in fact, and this is what got me with any of the CA's, would they even look like setting off. As I still had some of the others, I tried one of those again, with the CA. Virtual instant set-off, and could handle almost straight after. The E6000, I felt was too slow for what I want.

What was really strange, the CA wasn't even setting off on either the SMD or the fiber once separated. I could just wipe it off with paper towel. I even washed one of the SMD's in iso-propyl, in case there was a coating on them. Made no difference. Even warming with a heat gun made no difference. I guess I could shrink wrap them together and hope for the best. Won't be easy to keep everything aligned at the same time.

Good Morning All. 41° and clear but still dark. Maybe that will change tomorrow. While still below normal, highs will be in the mid to upper 60's for the next five days. T shirt weather yesterday, maybe back to shorts today. Kind of a limited day yesterday, and maybe again today, as I pulled a muscle in my lower back sometime Thursday.
How about a couple of those ham, cheese and egg breakfast biscuits this morning Flo. Tall glass of OJ to go with them.

Thanks yesterday for the likes and comments regarding the Walther's ranch houses; Louis, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Johnny, Chet, James, Curt, Phil.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains for a while. I did do a little scenery on the south side of the barn, I am close to finishing that side.
11-02-19 004.JPG

11-02-19 003.JPG

Need to work on that tree a bit to get it to stand straighter, but otherwise I am happy.

Louis -
...but they expect you to work your ass off to get it. Nothing wrong with that, but many of our young people are not ready for that. Amazon's "Lock up your cell phone during working hours" is enough to make some of them quit...
It's a damn shame that the workplace has come to this point. Cell phone usage was getting out of hand when I still worked before retirement. You wouldn't think that we had to have rules, but that common sense would prevail. But NO! Even with older employees it was a problem. Bluetooth was a lot harder to police in the factory.
DNA results in fact prove Senator Warren does have native American heritage
About as much as I have!:confused:

Chet -
the democratic party that was around when I was growing up would be conservative today.
True, but another side of the Democrats that I remember from that era included Strom Thurmond, Lester Maddox, George Wallace, Robert Byrd, James Eastland and others! Not to say that there weren't Republicans of the same ilk, I just don't remember them as being so prominent. There are bad apples on both sides.

Today is the "Day of the Dead" celebrated most prominently by the Hispanics around here. As I have posted in the past, they picnic/party on their late relatives gravesites. It is quite a sight to drive by or be visiting a cemetery today. As a Catholic growing up it was (still is) called "All Soul's Day", a day of remembrance of all those who have passed before us.

Everybody have a great weekend.

While I was scouting around for hints about the CA glue problem, I found out one fact I was unaware of, and that is CA requires some moisture to be present, to work, so the heat gun (I only had it warm) wouldn't have helped, although it does seem to have during the colder (OK, cooler here) months. The info about the moisture came in a thread about keeping it from going hard in storage i.e. put the tubes in a sealed jar with some Rice because it absorbs moisture.
It also uses a mechanical bonding method. A bit of roughening of the surfaces is preferred to give a key. (I was sanding the end of the fiber off square, but didn't seem to help). I knew it doesn't stick to some plastics, so whatever material is being used in one brand, can't be suitable, although, why would that prevent setting off, at least onto the fiber. If it wasn't for the fact that the other SMD's/Fiber stuck together fine, I would say it was that. It just doesn't add up. Apart from being B annoying.

What was really strange, the CA wasn't even setting off on either the SMD or the fiber once separated. I could just wipe it off with paper towel. I even washed one of the SMD's in iso-propyl, in case there was a coating on them. Made no difference. Even warming with a heat gun made no difference. I guess I could shrink wrap them together and hope for the best. Won't be easy to keep everything aligned at the same time.

RAY - I actually have no idea of what you are attempting to do, however - plain baking soda sprinkled on "wet" CA will cause it to cure instantly -- hope this helps?

WILLIE - Your "barn" project is the cat's meow! What are the tall weeds made from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back