Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
205073473_962219467924241_2100241163118255423_n.jpg

First of all, thanks to Terry and Willie for the heads-up on the sandpipe.
View attachment 129360
Some teenager parked that thing in front of my house the other day. I don't know what it is, but, it seems to run, and has right hand steering.

The car is a 1st gen Subaru Forester. Probably JDM since since right hand drive and intercooler scoop on the hood. USDM didn't get a turbo until the 2004 XT. It looks like it's lowered a little, probably just swapped in the Impreza's springs and struts. That's what I did with mine. My steering wheel is on the left and has 256k miles.

Morning all,

Partly cloudy and 78° in Doo-Dah this morning. Storms, possibly severe, on the agenda for this afternoon into tomorrow. High of 92° expected. That's about 10° cooler than yesterday.

Well, I've been waiting for it. #2 daughter and her husband are building a barndominium. For those wondering, it's a steel shop building, that has part of it converted to living space. It their case, it a 120'X 40' structure with a 40'X40' house built into one end. They asked for assistance in running the insulation as the sheet rock contractor is ready to start on Monday, so I'm off this afternoon to assist in placing 6" batt insulation into the walls. The house end has a basement as well, which is also being finished, for a total of about 3200 Sq. Ft. of house. The metal building is insulated, but they are adding additional to the outside of the living space and some internally for sound deadening. Ceiling will get blown in once the sheetrock is in place.

Good morning gang, and HAPPY FRIDAY!

56° and beeeeaaauuuuutiful outside this morning, heading to a high of 83 today. At work til 1, then home for a brief bit the off to see a chirocracker about the pain in my back. Hopefully I can get the lawn mowed after that. Tomorrow Bud goes in for a check up. He has pretty much recovered, but the loss of muscle mass has not fully come back yet. It's not for lack of eating, he eats like a horse, its more a side effect of the Prednisone. All in all, I think the doc will be happy

Patrick, the barndominium sounds interesting. I wonder how big of a layout will fit in it??

Lee, We had an old Allis like that on the farm. My dad brought it home with flat tires and a seized engine. We inflated the tires and put trans fluid in the cylinders and let it sit for a day. The next day we drug it around with a bigger tractor popping the clutch til the motor broke free. Cleaned the carb, added fresh gas the drug it some more til it started with a cloud of smoke. It ran great after that!!

Garry, Love the Avalanche!

BBL

Joe .... I like the picture of the PRR S-12 working a car float.
Garry: I have two of these "Road switcher" S-12s on my layout, plus one additional without Trainphone for yard service. The PRR got a lot of mileage out of them, they lasted almost to Conrail.

Willie: Tomato looks delicious...the local Deer population is devastating my garden. Repellents including Blood Meal, have no effect when they are hungry.

Ken: I generally try to avoid driving in Manhattan, for all the reasons you cite. I have driven through State Island, Brooklyn and Queens on numerous occasions to go to Nassau Coliseum, and that's not a fun driven either.

Yesterday, I spent several hours working on the truck. The hood latch was totally corroded from road salt, but I was able to pop open the hood...which is how I found it....once the hood opened, it wouldn't close again. I kept working the parts with WD-40 until it freed up enough to freely latch and unlatch, but not enough to satisfy the sensor. In all likelihood, I will have to replace it, but for now, it works. I did not have any of the other issues, so i am assuming that the battery was low due to lack of use. The truck battery is over 5 years old, and nearing the end of its service life.

How 'bout dem Habs...going to the Stanley Cup final :) ....now, heads will roll in Toronto...Hope the Islanders pull it off tonight against Tampa. That will make a Stanley Cup, (Coupe Stanley), fun to watch.

BS6a #9036 Delaware Ave, Phila 8-64.jpg

PRR BS6a # 9036 on Delaware Avenue, in Philadelphia, working the piers.

9433 at 46th St.jpg

PRR BS10 # 9433 at 46th St EH in West Philadelphia. Looks like someone left the sander on...

Garry: I have two of these "Road switcher" S-12s on my layout, plus one additional without Trainphone for yard service. The PRR got a lot of mileage out of them, they lasted almost to Conrail.

Willie: Tomato looks delicious...the local Deer population is devastating my garden. Repellents including Blood Meal, have no effect when they are hungry.

Ken: I generally try to avoid driving in Manhattan, for all the reasons you cite. I have driven through State Island, Brooklyn and Queens on numerous occasions to go to Nassau Coliseum, and that's not a fun driven either.

Yesterday, I spent several hours working on the truck. The hood latch was totally corroded from road salt, but I was able to pop open the hood...which is how I found it....once the hood opened, it wouldn't close again. I kept working the parts with WD-40 until it freed up enough to freely latch and unlatch, but not enough to satisfy the sensor. In all likelihood, I will have to replace it, but for now, it works. I did not have any of the other issues, so i am assuming that the battery was low due to lack of use. The truck battery is over 5 years old, and nearing the end of its service life.

How 'bout dem Habs...going to the Stanley Cup final :) ....now, heads will roll in Toronto...Hope the Islanders pull it off tonight against Tampa. That will make a Stanley Cup, (Coupe Stanley), fun to watch.

View attachment 129378

PRR BS6a # 9036 on Delaware Avenue, in Philadelphia, working the piers.

View attachment 129379
PRR BS10 # 9433 at 46th St EH in West Philadelphia. Looks like someone left the sander on...

Great pictures but a better story last night in Montreal. Now if the Islanders would win tonight I‘ll really be thrilled. Toronto, screw ‘em!

When we were in deer country in North Central Wisconsin the only deer repellant that kept the deer away from the tomatoes was a 6’ fence. Even then occasionally Terry would find deer trapped in the garden, they seemed to be able to jump in but had trouble getting out.

TomO

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. It is drizzling now and we have 1/2” of rain since 8pm last night. We had received .6 of an inch from noon to 8. The area definitely needs the rain and it’s good that it is being spread out. Per the weather guessers on the TV this morning for the season we are still 8” behind the rain totals we should be at.

I posted on Facebook 8 pieces of rolling stock last night. Within 5 minutes I received a message but he said he lived in Verona could he pick them up. wish it was that easy all the time!

I am glad to see all the activity again in the diner. Early June seemed IMO a little slow. But as always the pictures and stories are pretty damn good. I know my pictures have slowed down but I will be able to post newer pictures as the layout gets expanded a bit more.

Flo, 2 pieces of French cinnamon Toast with the chemically sugar free syrup. A diet Dr Pepper please. Thanks.

TomO

My latest acquisition.

4977F756-B5FB-40EF-AF02-B88E29A51A2A.jpeg

Good Morning from out here in Never-Never Land!
Sunny and heading for an 85 high again today with cloudless skies.

GARRY - Your boat problem brought back memories when you mentioned the 150 HP motor. I learned to water ski behind a 30 HP Evinrude motor - best I can recall - it took 100-200 feet of dragging to plane water! Never forgot what a blessing was to have one of my HS mates whose father bought a boat with a 50 HP motor!

Nice looking Loco, TERRY!

KARL
-- Glad to hear that BUD is recovering - keep it up!

JOE -- Bunch of us were concerned about you? So glad to see you back on the forum. I am fully aware of how life interferers with train time?

My cousin in Arkansas sent me this - seen on the side of the highway near her home. Apparently it had fallen off a trailer!

1624626550954.png

Good Morning!
I don't understand why the northlands are so warm; has the flat earth plate tilted in an unfavorable direction? Up here, we are breaking historical heat records. It was 60F early this morning and it's supposed to hit 80 come the afternoon. The next 3 days will be closer to 90F. - This may be my last message, as I'm likely to self-immolate come this afternoon, due to heat-stroke affecting my brain. I believe the gods are looking for a sacrifice.
Then again, maybe I'll just find some shade and try for bird photos as they come for water at the pond-less waterfall.

I'm really glad there are some good photos so far this morning - Joe, Tom, and Sherrel. Well done!

My photo feature for the morning are photos I took of the transloader operation at the CN staging area. I've posted photos of the transloader before, but, these are new. Besides, I like taking photos of Trackmobiles; they are very interesting to me.
These photos are all telephoto shots, and all have been cropped.
Notice that an open-hopper train transporting gravel pulled in sometime between the first transloader shot and the second. I didn't see that train pull in; I was somewhere in the bush when it showed up. I knew it had come, though, because I could hear it in the distance.
Transloader_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

Transloader_06-23-2021 (2).jpg

A person just can't have too many photos of Trackmobiles:
Trackmobile_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

I had the camera mounted on a monopod when those telephoto shots were taken, so I believe the fuzziness is caused by the heatwaves radiating off the ground. Plus, I've only got cheap cameras.

Perhaps I'll throw down some tankcar photos, as well. I always take photos of Hooker Chemical tank-cars, just because I like the color of them:
Tankcar_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

Tankcar_06-23-2021 (2).jpg

Tankcar_06-23-2021 (4).jpg

My photo files include many photos of abandoned vehicles. I collect them as reference for modeling purposes.
This old Ford is being used as a garbage bag disposal unit by the local hillbillies in the Town of Mayerthorpe. I'm not certain, but, I believe this truck was abandoned on CN property. I was standing on the tracks when I took the photo:
MayerthorpeWreck_06-01-2021.jpg

I sure hope that's not one of Alcomotives old trucks!

Well friends, that's enough photos for one day. Just thought I'd give you something to look at while you are enjoying your morning coffee.
Willie always does such a good job posting lots of photos every morning, to keep things interesting, that I thought I'd like to help him out.

Have a good one, everybody! Make sure you don't get dehydrated in this horrific heat!

Good Morning All. Clear and 78°, supposedly headed for 96° later today. That was supposed to happen yesterday, but it only hit 93°. Got my wife off to Dallas for her flight today to Mexico, and both of the granddogs are settled in here. Grocery/beer trek went well yesterday, but I got bad news when I stopped at the local BBQ joint for lunch on the way home. Apparently due to the pandemic, they made the decision to let their liquor license expire because they weren't making enough money to justify it. Could also have something to do with their hours in my opinion. They are only open five days a week (Tues-Sat), and two of those days are for lunch only. I generally had a cold one while waiting for my to-go order to be prepared.
It looks like I will be a grandfather again, but I don't know exactly when. Wife and I have known that DIL was pregnant for a while now, but they finally announced to the world that it will be a boy. Since I am a William, and her father and brother are both Williams, they are naming him a shortened Liam.

Sausage patties and a short stack of buckwheat pancakes for me today Flo. Tall glass of grape juice will go well with that.

Thanks a lot for the responses and reactions to yesterday's post; Tom O, Sherrel, Guy, Gary, Chad, Rick, Hughie, Steve, Patrick, Garry, Ken, Tom, Troy, Justin.

No time in the train shed yesterday with all of the other activity going on here. I should have more time next week when it is supposed to rain for a week starting Monday. I will get out there later today to greet the layout people.
While shuffling through a box of stuff from under the layout the other day, I came across part of my collection of utility/telegraph poles.
IMG_6733.JPG

There are a couple dozen more on the layout. I have pondered on what to do with them all, other than the Rix poles in the upper right, I never intentionally bought any. Some came with toy train sets back in the 80's; most were unsolicited in a box of vehicles that I purchased from fellow forum member Larry (Long Winded Old Fart), when he left the hobby. I also got some others in a miscellaneous box that I got in an estate sale a few years ago. I have no real clue as what to do with all of them, some I can use. By my modeling era, ATSF had removed all of the wires and the remaining poles were removed around 1983 or 1984. Some I will use and I may just add a few along the line that look to be in disrepair. Stay tuned.
Since I have no progress pictures today, I will highlight a structure in downtown Maultown that I painted and assembled a couple of years ago. It;s a Walther's Merchant's Row V kit.
IMG_6691.JPG

Jackson Park Pharmacy is on the right.
IMG_6687.JPG

In the center is Central Radio & TV downstairs and Central Record Shop upstairs.
IMG_6689.JPG

On the left is Cleveland Appliances.
IMG_6690.JPG

Troy - Thanks for the thoughts regarding the blog. I have looked at WP, but it is more complex than Wix. I have not looked at Blogger.
Tom O - I know what you mean about a huge layout. Prior to building the train shed, I thought long and hard about how much I would be able to maintain later in life. I certainly could have made the shed bigger but decided that 640 sq ft was enough. I never intended to finish the layout rapidly, but I am about a year behind schedule and will finish when I am 72.
Patrick - One could get quite a layout in the barndominium.
Karl - Good luck at the chiropractor.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good morning ....

Sherrel ..... ??? I think only arkansas Rednecks could have one of those _____ ?

Willie .... I like your downtown buildings with people, vehicles and stripes on the pavement.

Tom O ... Your latest acquisition looks good.

Guy ..... Interesting photos at the CN yard.

Joe ..... Interesting photos of PRR Baldwin switchers. It looks like 9036 has a four stack exhaust manifold with on tall and three short stacks.

My CB&Q Baldwin VO1000 has four tall stacks. ( Stewart model ) This represents one of a group assigned to Kansas City area on the Burlington. Those had four tall stacks. Other Burlington VO1000's were based in Chicago and had the original single stack configuration.

35669936072_8978a6880d_b.jpg

Good morning. Have been quite busy and haven't had the 'puter on for a couple of days. Took the new dog, or shou;d I say puppy to doggie school on Wednesday. She was a bit intimidated by a couple of larger dogs but have woirked with her at home and she is doing alright.

Joe - Hope you can get your medical problem squared away. Always enjoy your prototype photos from the past.

Tom - really like your weathering job on the box car.

Garry - Great photo. I imagine that Terry is happy that Murphy has paid you a visit.

Willie - Love the photos. The pharmacy block is excellent with the signage and details.

Ken in MD - You have a lot more guts than me driving in NYC. Couldn't stand driving south through Colorado on I-25.

Steve
- Like the photos.

James - Like the truck photos, but I will try to avoid new vehicles. My friend has a new 2021 Chevy pickup and it probably has every bell and whistle possible on it. He does pull a travel trailer and loves the back up camera and that the 6.2 engine ges better mileage and pulls better than the smaller engine than his 2016 Chevy. They are just putting way too much technology into new vehicles. Mechanically they are excellent but the main problem that they fail is because of the electronics and technology. I have to laugh when cat makers want people not to text and drive and then they put a touch screen in the middle of the dashboard to distract them. I sold my 2014 Chevy pickup and kept my '72 because I can work on it without breaking out my laptop.

Terry - Great photo. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Sherrel - Love the boat photo. That Baldwin switcher is pretty cool.

I did get over to the club yesterday and we has a lot of visitors now that tourists are out here. Ran my F-7 A-B-A power for the last time as they will be going along with the rest of my layout next weekend. It was hard taking photos with all of the people moving around. I ended up sitting in a corner so as not to crowd the narrow isles.

thumbnail_20210624_144958.jpg

thumbnail_20210624_142233.jpg

This photo shows where the line into the town of Gardiner leaves the main room through the hole bored through 24 inches of concrete at the top of the photo.

thumbnail_20210624_145154.jpg

Here the rest of the engine facility.

thumbnail_20210624_145250.jpg

Here the A-B-A consist is heading into Gardiner in the background.

thumbnail_20210624_142612.jpg

thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg

Here we come out of Gardiner and back to the main line.

thumbnail_20210624_150714.jpg

thumbnail_20210624_144214.jpg

thumbnail_20210624_143825.jpg

thumbnail_20210624_143924.jpg

Next week I'll be running the RDC. It will be the only equipment I'll have with DCC to run at the club.

Later

. It looks like 9036 has a four stack exhaust manifold with on tall and three short stacks.

Garry:
The 9036 was a normally aspirated 600 HP engine with three exhaust stacks...which gave the 600 HP units a distinct sound, vs other De La Verne powered Baldwins. The tall stack is from an industry otherwise out of view. The 9433, with the single stack was a turbocharged version of the 600 HP. The turbocharger gave it a different sound, than the 600 HP. PRR's older VO 1000 engines mostly had 4 short stacks vs the as delivered single stack. I recall reading something indicating the 4 stack Baldwins were not turbocharged, but, I am not sure that's accurate.

Good Afternoon all! Hot, Hot and more hot. Rain is forecasted for next week so maybe some relief.
We are in the process of installing a whole house generator. It certainly opened a can of worms. It seems we have a breaker box that is a fire hazard, and the government shutdown the manufacturer years ago. While getting a quote I was informed the meter can will also require updating as it is not up to code.
I did manage to get the yards mowed despite 115 heat index.

egg.png

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good afternoon ....

Joe (Boris) .... Thanks for responding about my post. It was almost like trick photography in the picture of 9036. Interesting about 9436.

Sherrel ... I looked up Frisco 210, and I learned it was repowered by EMD in 1957. That would explain why it had two stacks like some EMD switchers have. Thanks for commenting on my picture.

Chet .... Thanks for your remarks. Your photos of your club layout are fabulous.

Hughie .... LOL .... What if you receive both at the same time? 🤨

Sherrel ... I looked up Frisco 210, and I learned it was repowered by EMD in 1957. That would explain why it had two stacks like some EMD switchers have. Thanks for commenting on my picture.

I did not realize that they were re-powered. Here is additional info ---
VO-1000 215 was originally built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. It entered service with the Frisco on January 15, 1944. Later, it was one of three units (205, 210, 215) sent to General Motors Electro-Motive Division (EMD) for repowering in 1957. At the firm’s La Grange, Illinois plant it was repowered on March 26, 1957. Thus the modified or “m” model designation. In 1959 six additional VO-1000 units (200-204, 206) were also rebuilt. During rebuilding the latter group were also equipped with multiple unit (MU) controls.

Howdy ....

Joe .... I like the picture of the PRR S-12 working a car float.

Willie ..... Your buildings look very nice. So does the tomato .

Terry .... I like the SP Pacific even if not exactly prototypical.

Ken .... Your driving in NYC sounds very unpleasant.

Alcomotive .... Congratulations on your new truck. It sounds like you put lots of miles on your trucks.

Speaking of trucks, I'll show my 2002 Avalanche with 8.1 Liter V8. I have had it since it was new from the factory. It has pulled some heavy trailers, but usually the boat trailer is the one it hauls. It is very reliable, and I can imagine it will last at least 10 more years.

In the picture, you can also see the front end of our pontoon boat. It is now at our dock awaiting repairs for an electrical problem with the 150 HP mercury outboard motor.

51268872619_509b368e59_k.jpg

One story about the Avalanche, ... We had an uprooted large oak tree after a big storm. The tree was cut up, and logs hauled away. Next came time to move the large stump up the hill to an out-of=the way location on our property. A friend's tractor would not begin to drag it uphill. So, we tied the Avalanche to it, and the truck easily pulled the stump to where I wanted it.

I loved my Avalanche and miss it very much. Although it had the 5.3 liter. I only traded in because NY state has them pesky vehicle inspections and well I removed the catalytic converters and added flowmaster exhaust system. Loved it.

An extra early Good Morning to anyone else up this early. Woke up a little while ago and couldn't get back to sleep. Well, it was 7 1/2 hours with only one bathroom break! I'll be back later after taking a walk under the nearly full moon, then a dip in the pool, caring for the granddogs, and catching up on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back