Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Clear and 79° currently with a predicted high of 102° today. Yesterday was 102° as well. Way to hot for anything good.

Have an oil change scheduled for the truck. After spending $84 for a change and tire rotation on the Equinox at my favorite place, I get a coupon in the mail for a full synthetic change and tire rotation at the local Chevy dealer. So the truck is due and I'll spend about 1/2 the price for the same service. Dealer is actually cheaper than the place I've used for years.

Then I have to test some new headlight housings as I got with a manufacturer looking for a guinea pig to test them on an '04 to '12 Colorado, So I've got to get the truck washed and change the lights. I'll have to take some photos as I'm pretty sure the truck will be in ads for the final product. The lights aren't something I'd normally do, but what the heck. Wife asked why I'm doing it, and I said why not. Slick up my pickup for free.... 😄
Yard work waits until tomorrow morning and then I have to go to the kids houses and pickup all the debris from the doors and haul it to the landfill. Dad does this as he has the only truck in the family. I should get the bumper sticker that says "Yes it's my truck and no I won't help you move!".

Greetings all,

Tired. Fell asleep reading at 2150. Greyhound woke me at 2330. Have you ever heard a greyhound? They scream. Seriously. Google "Greyhound Scream of Death." He apparently had a bad dream and this high, loud, piercing scream somehow roused me from my slumber. Then could not fall back asleep, so got up and read, "The DCC Guide" 2d ed. Lots of DCC wizardry in that book.

Heading over this morning to move the youngest daughter into a new apartment. We'll move boxes and stuff today, leaving the big items for the professionals tomorrow.

After dinner, did some layout work to mount the roundhouse. Now I'm regretting that all these months, the Turntable has been sitting idle, and I never painted/weathered the pit. My shortsightedness at times amazes even me.

But pressing on.

Thanks Willie, for the explanatories. When I lived in East Texas (think, steamy and squishy, Like Louisiana), working in the detached shed on woodworking projects was horrendous April to October (summer humidity) and November to January (blue northers and ice). Every other February was fit to live in. March was a toss-up. Now I live in Minnesota, where I am glad the layout is in the finished basement. Which even with our 2+weeks of 90s, is still a deliciously cool 67F.

Must run, all! -----Steve

Good Morning All. Clear and 75° on the plains of North Central Texas. High temperature here has been staying around the mid-90's, Patrick is hogging all of the triple digits.
Grocery/beer trek went well yesterday, things are pretty much back to the pre-Covid normal. The masks are gone even from the Kroger employees. Easier for me to hear what folks are saying.

Two eggs over easy and plenty of bacon should start me off fine this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterdays layout shots; Steve, Tom O, Justin, Karl, Guy, Chad, Patrick, Hughie, Sherrel, Troy, Tom, Gary, Garry, Rick.

Yesterday, I received a package of warranty parts from Woodland Scenics. I mentioned last week that the sheet of dry transfers for Woody's Country Mart were missing from the kit. I was also shorted one figure from D's Diner that I built recently. I just procrastinated contacting them about that. Their return E-Mail indicated that they didn't have the individual part for the figure, so they were sending the entire sprue and I could use the extra parts for whatever. Well, they not only sent that sprue, but the entire sealed bag of plastic parts, in essence a whole new kit minus the clear styrene sheets, lighting and dry transfers! Since the original kit contained dry transfers for two different business names, and we all have leftover clear styrene, I can make a whole new business.
Meanwhile since time was short yesterday, I only ran trains. So here are a few more layout shots of different areas.
I'll start with the west wall.
IMG_6588.JPG

And a view of the north wall lower level.
IMG_6589.JPG

North wall upper level.
IMG_6590.JPG

East wall upper level with a partial view of the 12 track staging yard below.
IMG_6591.JPG

Steve - Congratulations on the successful turntable hook-up. Don't be concerned about the amps. Amps are the current draw that the transformer or power supply is capable of providing. Your device will only draw what is needed, in this case 250mA, which leaves a lot of amps left over for other devices.
Tom O - Back to deliveries...Out here in the boonies, I have seen the same UPS driver for many years. FedEx and Amazon drivers are different on every delivery, even on successive days. Home Depot uses a contract service for most small items, which here is pretty good. Large deliveries of lumber and building supplies are on their fleet of flatbed trailers. On my new freezer recently, I had to wait six days simply because of the day that I purchased it. Had I purchased two days earlier I would have gotten it next day since their route only comes to my neighborhood once a week. Repairing the appliances that the delivery service picks up seems to be a profitable side business for many of these contract drivers. I was told the same thing.
Tom - I always enjoyed working four day weeks, although they were usually 11 hour days. When we went back to five day weeks, I used my 30 days of vacation and sick leave one day at a time on Fridays, and coupled with holidays I was able to continue working four day weeks. Bonus - If they saw the need to work on Saturday, I wasn't there for them to ask! That's what I paid my assistant manager to do.
Lee - Glad to see that you are back. Hopefully you are fully recovered from the Covid.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning!

Through the gale force winds and the rain, I have completed building the outdoor deck I was hired to build. So I suppose my body might still be as young and strong as my mind pretends it is. My mind never did seem to grow up and get old.

Today, the weather has changed again, and it's bright and sunny outside. 47F and heading up to near 70, which is a very comfortable day.

Lee - Those are beautiful 'O' scale layout photos you posted. Thank you. I wish I had the real estate and the money to go big; but, I just don't.

Karl - Thanks for the photo of the Midland fleet. I never knew you had such a project going. Photos make the difference for me.

TomO - That Reedsburg C-of-C building certainly has that train depot flavor. If I dream a-bit, I can envision American GI's boarding a train during the 40's in a B&W version of that photo.

Willie - Good idea to get up on a ladder and take areal photos of the whole layout. They show the extent of the incredible effort you've put into the hobby. Well done, indeed!

Steve - That's a nice bright bicentennial locomotive. I'm thinking it's a GP-38, but, I'm still too inexperienced to know for sure.
I'm wondering what kind of track-bed is under the tracks the locomotive is sitting on?

Chet - The club layout video is certainly not 'boring', as you say. I enjoy watching that video very much, and the layout is beautiful. There's always wonderful visual aids in you're posts.

I almost feel embarrassment for posting today's poor photos, but, they are the only photos I've had time to take over the last many days.
These are all through the truck windshield, and show a common part of the railroad that the people in those vehicles love to hate; waiting.
Those engines are moving back and forth a-bit, while they do some sawmill railcar switching. The event always bothers the people who are trying to get somewhere.
Since I caught the train bug, I don't mind watching these guy's and being delayed:
CN 5617_06-15-2021 (1).jpg

CN 8840_06-15-2021 (1).jpg

That's all I have!
Suppose I'll mow the lawn today, and try to do a-bit of modeling over the course of the day.
Have a good one!

Good morning from the front deck in So. Central Wisconsin. The south deck is basically a flood zone as the rain we got, finally, last night was a dumper. 2.4” in the computerized rain gauges around the property. Told Terry that I see the weather guy on her channel got his rain without the severe winds and lightning. She then told me I slept prettygood as we got all that between midnight and 3, she said it was a great lightning show. Seems the back deck the exits for the water to run out are covered in leaves, so the wind really must have been blowing last night. We needed the rain, but right now it is 74, very humid heading to 94. We keep the house in summer at 76f degrees with the AC. The lower level seems to always stay at 68 and that were the trains are. So with high heat and humidity today, the trainroom is calling.

I received all but one of my orders from last week’s therapeutic spending spree. The guy I was worried about had the best packaging of any seller I have dealt with that didn’t have the boxes for the rolling stock. Each was wrapped with bubble wrap, just a great job and I told him that. My package from Canada should have delivered Wednesday. I saw and waved to the USPS worker on Wednesday so he saw me. Yesterday, on the front deck the regular driver walked up and asked if we were home Wednesday, said yes why? I had to sign for a package that the driver had on Wednesday but couldn’t deliver as we didn’t answer the door. He asked me to please complain to the Postmaster, his Wednesday replacement rarely gets out of the truck. The regular guy says I know you are usually home at delivery time and I have not known you to not be home for your train packages. I called and the Postmaster asked me what I wanted her to do? I said whatever your procedures are follow them. But your word verus his, I asked if she wanted the security video I could supply it, she said thanks.

Willie, that is a great space you are running in, nicely produced layout. Using HD for any delivery they at least info you that it will be a contracted out service or there own. I was unaware the HD used contractors to drive the big deliveries even though the truck, trailer and the fork lift are decaled for HD. We have had some great people make deliveries from HD over the years. When I was at Crestline Windows we we’re paid once a month and from April to July no more then 3 days off a month, that was for everyone not in the Union.

Lee, thanks for sharing the great pictures of “O” gauge. I love the size and feel. I would have switch when I retired in 2014 but thought selling my HO would have been impossible. Then a year later I found all the sell groups.

Steve, don’t over think DCC. Do your buss wires, hook up feeders every 6-9’ test it in DC if you can.

Patrick, unless your insurance says otherwise let the kids borrow the truck. You need a personal you time day. Take one, you seem to burning that proverbial candle at both ends! Easy for me to write harder for you to do. Just a friendly suggestion!

guy, boring picture, nope to me. I have always loved to be stopped by the train crossing.

Everyone else, thanks for the likes on my posting and rest assured I have caught up on reading the postings.

Not much will be done today but to make sure I am on the front deck for the mail delivery. I need to figure out a connection for my chop saw to the house vacuum as my idea, not plan to, is to start the rebuild of the layout. I drew up a plan for beyond the Paper Mill as I disassembled all but that. So I have about 30’ of paper mill and nothing else with a huge area to fill. I have no desire to do so but putting some decent trackage out of the mill will be nice. It will stay as a shelf no deeper then 24” and Terry says just go around the whole room.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Morning from out here where it is 64F and going up to another 94F later under mostly clear.

Early Father's day for me yesterday. The three daughters pooled and bought the Spousal Unit and I a Traeger Grill.
I let the Marine put it together, and today the "B" unit will grab a bag of chips soes we can try it out.
I had told them - when the subject was brought up - that I didn't need one after repairing the old grill, but since they all have their Mums training on spending $, they bought it anyway! Wife tells me to be nice and just say "what a nice present" and "hug them" and "thank them". What's that saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?
I bought Pizza for them all and we had a "PIZZA PARTY" - pretty nice to have everyone here at the same time - hasn't happened in a while!

Morning FLO - please ask MEL for a garbage omelet with a double order of bacon on the side. thank you. A DP to drink please.

Lots on tap for today - I won't bore you with the details - starting with the youngest daughter, husband and kids returning from their 500 mile, one way, camping trip with RV lights on the panel. Pray it is nothing serious?
I don't think I would have driven it 500 miles without trying to find out the illness?

Willie. Thanks for complement your layout keeps getting better glad to be back. I’m doing better every day.

Guy. Thanks I appreciate the complement. I thin down my HO it just to difficult for me to work in.

TomO. Thanks for the complement it’s taken me 6 years just to get where I’m at now and yes it can be expensive but I enjoy it.

Thanks for the likes this morning guys

Good morning. Going to be a nice day again today with the temps expected to be in the upper 70's.

Willie - Can't say enough about the photos you posted giving a better overall look at your layout, nothing but OUTSTANDING !!! appl.gif

Chad -
You are lucky that you have an older LG appliance. Their quality has gone down drastically in recent years along with Samsung according to my friend who happens to own the only company in the area that services them. The newer ones are the ones with serious problems.

Karl - Looking forward to seeing the photos of the GP-38.

Sherrel - Sorry to hear about the Dachshund having back problems. We have had dachshunds for years and only had one that had a back problem and a shot of steroids and some rest had him back to almost normal. Didn't want to use steroids, but he was also around 9 when he hurt his back and soldiered on until he was 14.

Tom O - liked the comment about deliveries. Back in the 70's before the population here exploded, the UPS driver had us pegged. To begin with, we didn't even have a street address until about a year ago. I had a Walthers dealership at the time and at first they were against the dealership due to the lack of an address. At the time, we owned a newspaper in Big Sky, Montana, ablut 25 miles south of us. If he had a package for us, he know he could deliver it to either the newspaper office or to the house. One time he saw my pickup parked outside my favorite saloon and delivered it there.

Lee - Nice to see your photos again. Always enjoyed them.

Terry - I think you got a heck of a deal on that locomotive.

Steve
- I can easily understand why the climate in east Texas is miserable. We lived in Florida when I first got out of the Navy but have been up here in Montana for the past 44 years where we are dry. The few days I spent in Texas when we went to pick up the dachshund reminded me why I am so glad to live where we are.

Glad that many of you enjoyed the cab ride video. Here is another video following a train part way around the club layout.

It was nice to get over to the club yesterday afternoon. It's the first time over there this year. We did have quite a few visitors come through the club as more people are traveling. Next weekend is expected to be very busy and we will have public visiting on both Thursday and Friday afternoon as they had an Art in the Park going on right next to the depot. Last year we had to lock the door qt 6 PM it was so busy. Here are a few photos I took yesterday afternoon. Didn't have much time for photos. Some are a bit blurred as trains were moving and we didn't want to stop and have a traffic jam.

thumbnail_20210617_140025.jpg

thumbnail_20210617_140157.jpg

thumbnail_20210617_153110.jpg

thumbnail_20210617_153120.jpg

thumbnail_20210617_153404.jpg

thumbnail_20210617_153627.jpg

Chad - You are lucky that you have an older LG appliance. Their quality has gone down drastically in recent years along with Samsung according to my friend who happens to own the only company in the area that services them. The newer ones are the ones with serious problems.

Thanks for the tip. We're building a new home (finally closed on the construction loan a week ago! after a long and drawn out saga of an affair) and eventually want to move the existing LG stuff into the secondary laundry room in the basement and get new ones for the main laundry room. I would have considered LG but will now look elsewhere.

Basement laundry and basement room -- set up so that guests can stay in the bedroom there, or eventually my mom will come and stay with us once my dad passes or maybe before they will both come if he gets weak enough that she cannot take care of him -- so she would have a laundry to use of her own.

We are buying Bosch for the main appliances in the kitchen (and eventually in the downstairs kitchenette when we get that finished). Made in USA and seem relatively good from a review standpoint and when looking at reliability lists from sales numbers vs repairs from certain larger sellers and repair centers

Afternoon,
Lee- Nice to see the truck pics again.
Chet- Always enjoy the club pics.

Well a rainy day = a train day. Some 4650's got some CSX tan paint. Decals tomorrow in the mail hopefully, they'll go into phosphate service after the weathering. Pre production pics.Trucks and couplers done and roof detail done.
IMG_4247.jpg
IMG_4248.jpg

Thanks for the tip. We're building a new home (finally closed on the construction loan a week ago! after a long and drawn out saga of an affair) and eventually want to move the existing LG stuff into the secondary laundry room in the basement and get new ones for the main laundry room. I would have considered LG but will now look elsewhere.

My friend who owns the repair shop recommends Made in America appliances. Maytag, Frigidaire, some Whirlpool, Bosch and Kenmore appliances. Whirlpool used to make Kenmore, appliances but a few are now made by LG. Amana is another along with General Electric. A little research before a purchase could save you a lot of money in the long run. My horror story cost us over $800 plus the price of replacement appliances.

Last edited:
My friend who owns the repair shop recommends Made in America appliances. Maytag, Frigidaire, some Whirlpool, Bosch and Kenmore appliances. Whirlpool used to make Kenmore, appliances but a few are now made by KG. Amana is another along with General Electric. A little research before a purchase could save you a lot of money in the long run. My horror story cost us over $800 plus the price of replacement appliances.
Made in america...

With asian-made parts.

Good evening ....

Willie .... Your large layout is very impressive.

Lee ....... Nice photos of great looking cars and trucks swell as a DT&I boxcar and a UP RS-3.

Guy ..... Good you could get pictures at the crossing on a CN train.

Chet .... Thanks for the video and photos of the club layout. Very impressive.

Tom (Cambria) ...... The covered hopper has some good details.

Everybody ..... Have a good night.

34998855744_9a26985234_b.jpg

Well a post before bed is in order here. Did up some more puffball trees for the layout. Had to replace....again....the turnout that connects the yard to the main. Worked a little more diligently this go around. Hopefully this will get it fixed up. And for kicks I brought out my P2K GP30. Hope yall enjoy.
20210619_032240.jpg
20210619_032924.jpg
20210619_032218.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back