Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang!
82° and clear now, at dang near 9 p.m. Was 91° earlier. I like spring and fall, but you can keep this summer crap.
SWMBO and I went to an estate sale yesterday. She got some household stuff and 2 large umbrellas for the yard, I got a post hole digger and a shovel and this
20210606_123009.jpg

Wifey says she wants a bigger garden, I'm not digging it up all by myself! Went online later to research retail price, they sold msrp of $850.00, I got it for $110.00. And yes it runs on carb cleaner. hasn't run in 2 years so I will have to rebuild the carb, no biggie.

Trainwise I did finish another Maryland Midland Unit today. GP38-3 #303 is on the layout now. Its an Atlas unit with a Soundtraxx decoder. I just have to finish #306 and I will have all MMIDs GP38s modeled. I also took in 2 Proto 2000 GP7s this week and wouldn't you know, brand new units with cracked axle gears. They are now running quiet and smooth with Athearn gears.

Sherril Bud is doing much better thank you. He is walking much better, and he seems more alert than he has been in quite awhile. The Prednisone has given him a ravenous appetite, so I'm sure he will go from the bag of bones he has become back into the lean doggie we all know and love. Here's his calendar pic, so handsome!
20210604_143928.jpg

Terry, Are you actively poking the bear with Murphy?? Touching a mechanism with track power applied?? Here. go stick the fork in the power outlet next to Mel's toaster oven. let me know what hurts most, the shock or Mel's fist!

DSCF2475.JPG

This is back up power for the F40s which stays near the station at the Grand Canyon. It sits on display but is full functional if the need arises. Former Via rail FPA-4.

That's enough for tonight, Tootles y'all!

Well fellers its time to call it a weekend. Well at least for me anyways. I started my puff ball trees this evening. Or rather an hour and some change ago. Im actually pretty satisfied with the result. They are a little darker than anticipated but they turned out nicely for the most part. I used a 50-50 mixture of matte medium and water. Then to put em in place i used 100% matte medium. Used foam nails to keep em in place until the glue dries. Used green blend and burnt grass turf to make up the green. The polyfiber is from micromark. Thats all the updates i have for right now. I hope everyone has a good night.
20210607_004333.jpg

Okay, I'm going to put down the throttle, and step away from the trains. I just blew the speaker in one of my sound-equipped F units.
Do you somehow have too much power running,have you done a homemade electric job with the wrong cable or so something,or worse have you bought something say second hand that has been fiddled with,do you have a power tester,I would be tempted to run a current check in various places.

edit= or as Karl says playing with the insides on a live track is not going to give good results
Karl total bargain on the little digger.I would swop my fork for it any day,although I suppose technically mine keeps me fitter.

I personally stay away from electrics,electronics,my other half has professional qualifications and is mighty particular,best not mess up in his vicinity,he’ll I get annoyed if if move his DCC trains for photographs when it is off,as it then messes up his programming,I resort to moving taking snaps and putting them back carefully....and trying to look innocent when I forget to return home or leave a non powered item in their path......slinky off to make him a tea often helps.

Last edited:
Do you somehow have too much power running,have you done a homemade electric job with the wrong cable or so something,or worse have you bought something say second hand that has been fiddled with,do you have a power tester,I would be tempted to run a current check in various places.

edit= or as Karl says playing with the insides on a live track is not going to give good results
Karl total bargain on the little digger.I would swop my fork for it any day,although I suppose technically mine keeps me fitter.

I personally stay away from electrics,electronics,my other half has professional qualifications and is mighty particular,best not mess up in his vicinity,he’ll I get annoyed if if move his DCC trains for photographs when it is off,as it then messes up his programming,I resort to moving taking snaps and putting them back carefully....and trying to look innocent when I forget to return home or leave a non powered item in their path......slinky off to make him a tea often helps.
The decoder, engine, and DCC system are all pretty much new. This engine has always had a "rattle" in the speaker, it had suddenly gotten much worse. I had popped off the shell, and had the speaker out, trying to see if there was a loose something in the assembly, when I dropped the (metal) speaker directly onto the decoder.
At least the speaker doesn't rattle any more...

Well, howdy there, internet MRR people!

70° and muggy with a chance for pop-up showers today. Just coffee and a mess o bacon this morning please.

Had a good day over the weekend. Went to the Friendly Local Gaming Store (FLGS) on Saturday and ran a demo game of a new WWII naval game (an old one published by a new company, actually): Victory At Sea. Since there a more scales and manufacturers of ship models than Willie could shake a stick at if that was all he ever did, the company publishing the game found a new scale no one else had, and made their ship models at 1:1800.
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 6.37.48 AM.png

Above, two players battle it out in the Mediterranean... while we learn the rules together.

Overall, I like the model size, and how they mold them into the sea base, with Ship Name on one side. BUT, tracking down painting specs for the ship in the time-frame indicated by the model is tricky. There's the How It's Supposed to Be, then there's the Theatre of Operations Camo schemes, and the vagaries of when one over-ruled the other.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 6.38.01 AM.png

After Brush Painting the superstructure on several, the airbrush may come out again. Above, one of the Regina Marina (Italian) fleet fired a volley at the Royal Navy, before being set ablaze herself.

Painting these ships looks to be my hobby time this week. Not looking forward to the Italian fleet. They have air recognition stripes on their decks. Red and White alternating diagonals. Some fore and aft, others just on the bow. Going to have to freehand those, since masking will be tricky.

Morning all,

Currently 68° and partly cloudy in Doo-Dah. Temps supposed to be in the mid-80's today. One more door to do and then I have the trim work. Each door need a buildup to allow the trim to line up with the frame. I don't completely understand old construction, as to why 2" X 4" construction means it fits on anything built in the past 25 years or so, but needs a filler strip on the 50's stuff. About 3/4 of an inch square ought to do it. The boy's front door will require cutting, just like the back one did. The difference is I know about it already and have it in my plans, so it should make it a bit easier instead of measuring a bunch and trying to figure out where it doesn't fit. Work for another day. At least the fill will be indoors when it's cooler.

Not much else at this time, except work is starting and they are already asking questions...BBL

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 74°, the rain is on the way. It's about 40 miles west and moving in this direction, should be here around 0800. Really don't need it, as the ground almost dried up yesterday. But instead of mowing, I processed some of the green bean crop.
IMG_6546.JPG

I have more but I can only fit seven wide-mouth pint jars in the pressure canner at once.
Next to them on the left is last night's supper. Before:
IMG_6547.JPG

A nicely marbled Ribeye, which was on sale at the "managers special" shelf at the grocery store Friday. That's where the day-old meat goes. Just $8.
After:
IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

We enjoyed it with some of the green beans, a Caprese Salad, and a batch of "Steak & Ale" mushrooms. I worked there for nine months in 1971 as the kitchen manager and I still remember that recipe.
By the way, note the dining table that I built 45 years ago, from lumber salvaged from crates used to ship patio door glass to our window/door manufacturing company. I remember that Sherrel has a neighbor who has access to the same type of stuff and uses it frequently. I made it from 3-2" x 10"'s and 1-2" x 12" because any wider it wouldn't have fit in the car I was driving at the time. I made it at a friend's shop. It still stuck out of the hatchback!

I am still perplexed with Mother Nature and our very much lower than average temperatures here this spring. I read about you guys in Minnesota, Wisconsin and north of the border with temperatures in the 80's and 90's, and we have barely broken 80° a half dozen times. We should have seen temps in the mid-90's by now. I do think that it's gonna change real soon. I used the AC for only the second time this spring yesterday, but that had to do more with the canning process than anything.

How about a pair of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. Sausage, potato, egg and cheese please. And a bowl full of spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks for the likes and responses regarding yesterday's post; Justin, Tom O, Hughie, Patrick, Jaz, Chad, Garry, Guy, Tom, Gary.

Tom O
-
Running home to mom and dad because of the pandemic.
That's good to read. None of my three returned home after college; and none are incarcerated! It's a good feeling
Guy - Y'all did a great job on the garden. Something for both of you to be proud of.
Those are some really nice looking kits. I am looking forward to the build pictures.
Sherrel - Good luck with the RV. Seems like Murphy has a double over on the left coast now. Terry has the east coast guy fully in his corner.
Since the pool water is too cool to use it, and it won't warm up without sunlight, I look at the bright side in that I am not using chemicals right now.
Your experience with editing yesterday convinces me that there are still demons in this forum software.

I'll be back in a little bit. The thunderstorm arrived already and I am going to shut down the computer. I have lost my operating system twice with this computer when power surges/failures caused by lightning have occurred. The surge protector works just fine, there is a bug somewhere in Win10 that is causing my issues.

Greetings from here! Supposed to be a 71F/21C high today and low to mid 70's for the next three days.
We still have the "mostly sunny" and breezy forecast.

I;ll be back in a few. My body is talking to me today - I spent just about 3 hours crawling in and out from under the RV yesterday, but in the end the leveling system is now working again and I do not have to take it to the shop ths morning,

The Spousal Unit is heading to the MIL's ranch for a whole 7 days - which actually will be nice for me. I might actually accomplish a few things that have been lagging and will be able to leave some tools where I am working on something without hearing, "What's this doing here, pick it up, I don't want to be tripping over that, why do you have to leave things laying around"!

Managed to get the six items out of the house and garage tat the WASTE company will pick up this morning, I did not want to block the sidewalk, so I need to go move everything about 6-7 feet closer to the curb right now.

I'll be back! (Arnold quote)

Real quick, we do have quite a rich community of modelers here in the Twin Cities. I've only been a serious HO scale modeler for 4 years at this point, but I know or know of several guys who have been doing this since the 70's. Definitely worth meeting them, you'll cross paths with them at shows and such also.

I did hear rumblings that the State Fairgrounds model trains show/flea market will be happening this year. I heard July 24th, but not sure. Hennepin Overland club is also planning to host a flea market the same day. I hear the state fair show is normally a massive affair with tons of vendors and good deals to be had. I haven't been able to go in years previous, so hoping this year I can finally get there. Did you go to Train Days at Saint Paul depot this weekend?

Hi Steve! Thanks for the heads up on the Model Train show. I found this:

So I'm thinking it is a go. And now on my calendar!!! I did not get to St. Pau this weekend as it was filled with the house refurb preps. I look forward to touching base with you and other modelers. I am brand-spanking new having only got the bug November 2020.

Thanks! -----Steve

Tired.

Got the counter-tops ripped out yesterday. Wasn't too bad. My prospective SIL is a Greek national here in the states for the past four years and now working on a doctorate in COmputer SCience. He helped, which was nice. I like this guy and hope he and my daughter continue their relationship. SHe is a Wash DC lawyer but here in Minneapolis 'working from home' as their office is still closed. Says she is now seeking employment either here or which can be done here. Nice.

Golf today. VFW group's 9-hole outing every Monday. And then a Management Committee meeting at the VFW and then home to finish up the cabinet prep for the new granite counter installation tomorrow. And then I get to plumb up the water and drains to the new sink and faucet. Many of you have heard the term: "Shunting/Switching Puzzle." Tomorrow afternoon I get to engage in a plumbing puzzle. I predict three trips to the Home Despot. But I'll get the job done. I'm actually a fair hand at plumbing and with the PVC these days, it is often fairly simple, with patience.

Tile guys supposed to show Weds morning to commence rip-out.

All that said, I hope to maybe do some train-related work this evening. But I'm tired. After the work, went with Daughter and her gentleman-friend to an early dinner. Didn't sleep well.

Cheers to all! ----Steve

Good morning from the Arizona desert at 84f degrees now going to 97. Told my brother on the phone last week that a couple of the Austin restaurants had air conditioners set up in their outdoor eating areas. They were quiet but big. I guess he hit the internet and then a friend who owns a HVAC company in the Valley of the Sun. They will install one on the deck and he can try it out. Glad we will be site seeing today as I can’t handle watching contractors work out West.

Went for a swim a couple hours ago around 6am. The pool temperature was 87 and that is too warm for laps and I am spoiled. His pool might be 40’ long while mine at home is a 100 meter 2 lane lap pool kept at 75 degrees.

The son called last night. He and the g/f are offically over. She got the Cirrus Jet and the hangar as she brought out his 1/2. He has 30 days to find a spot for his plane. Seems when he dropped out of the idea of a jet taxi service as way too risky things got interesting. Turns out her daddy will finance that venture for her alone. He did laugh when he said he will miss the Cirrus Jet but not too sure about missing her!

I am a kid of the 50’s and 60’s with middle class hard working parents. Was there this much money around then? I worked at a Country Club but even there I didn’t see the type of money that seems to be out there now. It’s just crazy traveling the country like Terry and I are able to do in the car and see the huge discrepancies in the type of housing and jobs now out there. I am spoiled because we worked hard to get here. Yeah I know I am blessed with a great wife, super kids and a healthy retirement. My wife is a screaming true liberal but I am beginning to think, or I am going back to her way of thinking about this country. I am a fiscal conservative with liberal leanings (my upbringing) BUT I am going to start ranting so I will stop here. Yes, I know, writing this on a pool deck at a family member’s obscenely expensive home, kind of a hypocrite. Sorry

Tom
for those out East. Picture taken from yesterday’s listings on Railpictures.net
6/6/1981 by Jim Appleman. Harrisburg, Pa. I wish I had seen these run in person
783A35EF-57B1-47D2-98EB-C1AA2FCD5641.jpeg

Well, howdy there again internet MRR people.

Please pardon my prone position. I can sympathize with all of you who have been doing hard labor, fixing RVs, replacing doors, countertops etc.

I'm now in the recliner with the heating pad (it was with ice packs earlier this morning). We're three advil in so far.

How did I come to this predicament?

While I'd love to say it was diving to save a pretty girl from a marauding band of evil zombie bikers trying to eat her brains...
Or that I might have been straining to rescue a puppy that had fallen down a well (thanks for the alert, Lassie. Good dog!)...
Or, a herd of wild hamsters had run amok at the local grocery, and I lifted a little old lady up to safety atop the Charmin display (don't tell Mr. Whipple)...

It was none of that.

I merely bent down to retrieve the cat's water dish.

Dang Cat. Mondays is the day I give his water fountain a good clean with vinegar and the bottle brush. It got a minor clean, but better than a rinse. right after I popped a couple of Advil and did some cursing.

Wife said she'd take me to Applebees tonight for Monday Burger Night. At least that's one good thing today.

Good Morning again. The serious thunderstorm is now past and I am just looking at rain for a couple more hours. It left 0.89" in the gauge so far, that is also now on top of the almost emptied pool cover. I have decided that this cover is not impermeable as advertised, and I have been removing water that has seeped up from the pool itself. On the bright side, after spotty showers tomorrow morning, there is no rain in the ten day forecast and temperatures should reach into the 90's on most of them.
OK, taking up where I left off earlier, I did make it to the train shed for a while yesterday, albeit for just an hour or so. I looked in the bagful of goodies that I purchased at the LHS Saturday.
IMG_6538.JPG

One bag of stuff for $217, highway robbery!
IMG_6539.JPG

Among the highlights is a '63 Chevrolet Covair, from Oxford.
IMG_6540.JPG

Here is the contents of a Preiser offering of 25 seated figures for a bus load. These will save me the trouble of trimming off legs on figures to use in automobiles as well.
IMG_6541.JPG

I also got a fence kit from Tichy, something that I hadn't seen there before. This will provide some variety to some of my fencing. Note in the first picture I also got two more Bar Mills Insta-Fence kits.
IMG_6543.JPG

I also "rough-fitted" some of the unfinished walls together on the market kit. I still don't quite like the color that I chose for the dimensional lumber, but I don't really have any alternate. Looking for suggestions before I apply glue.
IMG_6544.JPG

Now back to comments where I left off.
Tom O - After model railroad museums, aquariums and zoos are my second most favorite attraction.
I wish sometimes we had a small RV to just pull over and park.
You would appreciate the one that Sherrel has, the size at least, not the operability! ;) I have pondered the thought of getting one myself.
1623081108138.png

Hughie - Majestic Hardware has to be one of my favorite Bar Mills kits. I am glad that mine is HO scale, as N scale would be too tough for me.
Terry -
I was just surfing around, and found absolutely no mention of it, anywhere. It's sad how quickly we as a society have forgotten about it.
The media and the left leaning politicians are all in favor of us forgetting history and eliminating monuments etc.
Jaz - I don't recall seeing those particular dinosaur pictures before. Thanks for posting them.
Troy - I bet those 1:1800 figures are really tough to paint! Get well soon.
Patrick - I still don't understand the Convoy Day reference.

I guess that I will sit on the porch and watch water for a while. Everybody stay safe and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back