Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from Arizona. We got to the brother’s place around 7 last night and I was tired. Being here is contrary to the road trip’s original idea of Austin and then eastward, but it’s fine. We had to get back to Austin to deliver my sister to her plane when Terry asked if she had ever been in El Paso. So from San Antonio to Fredericksburg with stops in between we changed the trip to Arizona, via El Paso, Tucson and stops in between. In Tucson, we stayed in the hills at my sister’s friend place. There was a very noticeable shift in humidity as we headed west on I10. We might leave Monday heading HOME. I have a friend who retired to Cottonwood that we are trying to contact, a stop in Sedona is a must and overnight in Flagstaff. From there???

The change in plans was to have more time with my sister. She told us that on 6/23/2021 she will have a now considered minor operation to remove her para-thyroids. Our family has major issues with our thyroids and my endocrinologist actually would like to do a case study on us. Maternal side my grandmother and my mom also had the thyroid removed, mom also had her para-thyroids taken out. We know my paternal grandmother had her thyroid radiated and killed. My sister had her thyroid out as an 11 year old back in the day. Of course I had my thyroid out 2011, along with cancerous lymp nodes in the throat twice now, 2012 and 2015. Terry and her sister have had their thyroids irradiated. So we will head home and I will fly back to Arizona for my sisters operation. At 74, no surgery with anesthesia is minor in my book. The brother thinks it’s great I am coming back and none of us have told my sister.

I have seen glimpses of trains mostly off in the distance so no pictures for that. My pictures on the phone for some reason didn’t transfer to the “cloud” so I can’t post them from the IPadPro. I fell to sleep out on the pool deck last night and they put a sheet over me and closed the screens around me. My brother says he and the g/f will sleep out there occasionally and have learned to be extra safe he closes the screens. SEEMS, he will occasionally after grilling on the deck that he gets the curious mountain lion or bobcat that comes visiting. I will be sleeping inside in a bed tonight. Be safe be well TomO

33FB20A2-0628-477E-BF99-42E7DC2BBD1C.jpeg

Good morning from Arizona. We got to the brother’s place around 7 last night and I was tired. Being here is contrary to the road trip’s original idea of Austin and then eastward, but it’s fine. We had to get back to Austin to deliver my sister to her plane when Terry asked if she had ever been in El Paso. So from San Antonio to Fredericksburg with stops in between we changed the trip to Arizona, via El Paso, Tucson and stops in between. In Tucson, we stayed in the hills at my sister’s friend place. There was a very noticeable shift in humidity as we headed west on I10. We might leave Monday heading HOME. I have a friend who retired to Cottonwood that we are trying to contact, a stop in Sedona is a must and overnight in Flagstaff. From there???

The change in plans was to have more time with my sister. She told us that on 6/23/2021 she will have a now considered minor operation to remove her para-thyroids. Our family has major issues with our thyroids and my endocrinologist actually would like to do a case study on us. Maternal side my grandmother and my mom also had the thyroid removed, mom also had her para-thyroids taken out. We know my paternal grandmother had her thyroid radiated and killed. My sister had her thyroid out as an 11 year old back in the day. Of course I had my thyroid out 2011, along with cancerous lymp nodes in the throat twice now, 2012 and 2015. Terry and her sister have had their thyroids irradiated. So we will head home and I will fly back to Arizona for my sisters operation. At 74, no surgery with anesthesia is minor in my book. The brother thinks it’s great I am coming back and none of us have told my sister.

I have seen glimpses of trains mostly off in the distance so no pictures for that. My pictures on the phone for some reason didn’t transfer to the “cloud” so I can’t post them from the IPadPro. I fell to sleep out on the pool deck last night and they put a sheet over me and closed the screens around me. My brother says he and the g/f will sleep out there occasionally and have learned to be extra safe he closes the screens. SEEMS, he will occasionally after grilling on the deck that he gets the curious mountain lion or bobcat that comes visiting. I will be sleeping inside in a bed tonight. Be safe be well TomO

View attachment 128808
my eldest who got into uni for medicine and considers himself a right smart arse, was shopp ing with me in his early teens, I asked for 50 pound cash and he said if they give it away why don’t I ask for more....lol

Good afternoon. It has been a hectic few days here. My wife and another woman from our Friday night bowling league were driving down to Las Vegas for the national tournament and her car broke down in Filmore, UT, the middle of no where. A couple of guys stopped when they say the 2 women on the side of the road and to make things short, they happened to be pulling an empty trailer, loaded up the car and hauled it around 10 miles into Filmore where they had made reservations for a motel. The guys offered to pull it to Las Vegas but the only rooms available on th holiday weekend were going for $400 a night. They took the Saint George shuttle bus which runs between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas stopping at small towns along the way. Was fun for them having their bowling balls, suit cases, a small bag each and a cooler. They had to move everything again when the shuttle let them off at Las Vegas and again when whey got to the hotel. There were no rental cars available at all to come home but there is a small airline, Allegent, that flies twice a week between Bozeman and Las Vegas and they managed to get the last 2 seats. Picked up the happy campers at the airport late Thursday afternoon.

The shop said that the problem turned out to be a blown head gasket and some of the cylinder walls were scored. They said they could put a reman Jasper engine in for $6,500. That was a big Fat no. I have a used engine with a 5 year warrantee on parts and labor on the way and managed to find room on an auto carrier to bring it up here. By the time I would have driven down there, around 550 miles, paid for gas and a hotel it is about a wash on the price.

Was really hot here also with temps in the low 90's for a couple of days, but unlike Greg, out grass is still green and was growing. Got out there early this morning while it was still cool and got started on the mowing. The grass was so tall that left me with a lot of clippings so I mowed into the grass finally having the clippings go into pastures along the property line. Pooped. Time for a beer.

We are getting goodies together for a trip to Pflugervile, Texas to pick up another dachshund, leaving Tuesday morning. Going to check over the vehicle, check and change fluids if necessary on Monday.

Talked to the guys at the club and they will be starting to have operating sessions on Thursday afternoons so I will be heading there as soon as we get things squared away.

There were so many excellent and interesting photos that I don't have time to comment on all of them.

We had a nice thunder shower yesterday and there is a nice line of them moving in now so I gotta run and close the shop and shed doors.

Later

Chet, Pflugerville, Texas. About 2 exits north on Texas130 from my son’s place. Have a safe trip. Driving the 130 at 80mph speed limit spoils you elsewhere. As Willie has written no Texan seems to drive the speed limit. That is a nightmare your wife and her friend I dream about. Nothing worse then breaking down, unless it is the middle of nowhere. Glad the ladies are fine

Patrick, I sure hope all that work you do remodeling is appreciated. Our son had a conversation with us the 1st night after dinner in Austin last week. Told us how much he appreciated all the help both financially and mental support all the years before he made it. Said without our help he would be like so many of his 35 year old friends. Running home to mom and dad because of the pandemic. That felt so good to hear that!

Garry, thank you so much. I will look into that train. Great pictures

Karl, thank you so much. I will look into that train too. Great pictures. Neither Terry or I have any issue with veering off the road to see or participate in an attraction.

I took a couple hour nap out by the pool this afternoon in the shade. Cave Creek, Arizona is at 100f degrees and it feels hot! The spritzers are running. Austin is at 75 and home in Wisconsin is 90. The brother is talking heading back early to Maui, 82 and nice there today. He has residency requirements so would have to come back anyway so staying put right now.

Dinner is out again tonight. Tomorrow the brother will show me how to barbeque the “right” meaning his way. I love my brother and will do anything for him but...

Have a great evening.
TomO

this picture was taken at the Zilker Park arboretum in Austin last week. A waterfall would be a nice cooling off affect
EB436F79-577E-4CD8-A44B-8B9E7F3E8D3D.jpeg

Chet -- yes, Fillmore is out in the middle of no where, but it used to be (for a short time) the territorial capital back in the the 1800s! As a kid driving from Phoenix to Salt Lake City we used to stop there and buy licorice at this one shop.

Here is a train I got permission (I am on moratorium from buying more train stuff until our house is built) from my better half to buy (while available -- Japanese trains tend to do smaller runs that sell out fast and if a second run is done, it could be 10 years). It is from Micro Ace, one of the smaller Japanese makers, and is the Norokko Train, a small tourist train that runs on Hokkaido with stops at "Lavender Farms", which is a summer-only temporary station out in the middle of the fields near a large commercial lavender and melon (and flower) operation that is quite the tourist destination. It was a fun train -- a converted DE15 locomotive (which itself is originally s snowplow driver conversion of the DE10 switcher/secondary line diesel hydraulic) and old time wagons including some with open windows and benches facing out.

IMG_4669.jpeg

Good evening. I managed to get one thing on my wife’s Medical List. I picked up a used mobility scooter, in good shape, though the batteries are toast. It’s a bit less than the copay and deductible for a new one through Medicare, and I’ll take any savings I can get.
The oxygen machine service company is still stonewalling everybody, including Humana, and since it’s a “medical device”, I can’t find a used one for sale. A couple of years ago, we got a portable machine, but I ran into about the same problems getting it repaired as the “rental”. I threatened to call an ambulance for my wife if her o2 levels get too low, and send the bill to the medical service company. No response about that, either. Complete radio silence…

Evening fellers. Went to my old stomping grounds today. No trains however. That was kind of a let down. Worked with another throttle last night just for kicks. Brought out one of my Cab Control 55s. I have two of these. One that will work with either AC or DC. Im pretty sure it is the last model MRC put out. The other is the copper case one that runs off of DC only. Both function really well. Well most of the time anyways.
20210605_220609.jpg

This is the one I used last night. I have upgraded the throttle knob to a bigger one. This allows for a more comfortable one hand operation.
20210605_220634.jpg

My old copper case throttle. I have a 12V power supply i can hook this up with and use. Both operate really well.
20210605_221112.jpg

This is a bucket list throttle. Id really like to get my hands on one of these. Id imagine it would perform about as good as my Tech 2 cab control. Id like to try out the brake function on this. My tech 2 cab control has decent braking function on it that I enjoy using when doing switching on my layout. Thats all I have now. I hope everyone has a good night.

Greetings all,

Heat wave continues for Minnesota, ugh. Even if just barely, was triple digits yesterday. But lawns must be mowed. Felt the heat last night and was just whupped. The brats on the grill with beans, potato salad and coleslaw did help. Wifeykins packed up the kitchen whilst I was outside working, so now reduced to grilling or eating out. Potential SIL coming over this afternoon to help with the rip-out of the kitchen counters. Granite counter-tops coming Tuesday. Tile guy supposed to arrive Wednesday top commence floor rip-out. Lord, have mercy upon us all.

So no train work.

Deliberately did not ask to go back to Texas or anywhere down south just because of heat, so not a happy camper with 90+ forecast for foreseeable future. Hey there, Canadian neighbors, y'all taking immigrants yet? I got heat-sick too many times in East Texas.

Anyways - cheers and God's rich blessings to all. ----Steve

Good Sunday Morning!
Listened to the big schpeal from the weather-man that it was supposed to rain all night, starting around midnight, and here it is blue skies and 45° when I opened the lids this morning. Not a drop of rain; but, in his defense, his reports refer to the city 2hrs southeast. So, perhaps it did rain over there.

Garry - Those are wonderful photographs from the Arizona trips on the rails. Thanks for sharing!

Tom - I like the waterfall feature in Zilker Park. That water feature looks like it's built into a small creek. - I built a pond-less waterfall into our backyard garden. Water features are very comforting to sit-n-relax beside. Here's a photo of ours from last summer:
Garden_07-25-2017 (2).jpg

A couple of structure kits arrived in my mailbox last Friday. I purchased these from RailwayKits.com, and the photos I show here are their photos that I have borrowed, not mine.
The first is an antique shop that I intend to re-purpose into a waterfront building. Remember that boat I built. I've always wanted a bit of waterfront on a layout. Here a photo of the structure kit:
IrishRose_4.jpg

I also purchased a feed mill kit that I believe I can repurpose to be a small town hotel:
Reaghan_1.jpg

The feed mill kit is missing any form of instructions in the box, but, I've looked it over and feel confident I can work around that by just using photographs of the completed building. Everything else seems to be in the box, except tractors and accessory, and is easily identified. The straight sticks are not so easy to sort. I'll have to put my heavy-duty thinking cap on to work out the sticks.
I believe I'll build the antique shop first, as it has some form of instructions and will help me figure out how these go together.
Both of those kits will be over the winter projects; I hope.

Yesterday, my wife brought home a pick-up load of wood chips out of a sawmill de-barker. I had to unload it last night, and find a backyard spot to put it. She wants it to rot some, and I expect she will use it as mulch. - I wonder if my hobbies drive her as nuts as her hobby drives me.
Next, she's bringing in a load of cow-shit, and I have to find a place for that. She means to have our home smelling like a barnyard.

Anyway, I suppose I should get on with it. Thanks for the coffee, and thanks for the likes on my simple posts.

Have a good one!

WOW, Everyone is busy! Another beautiful day in store for this place at a 79F/26C high forecast with "mostly sunny" again!
FLO - Just coffee and a bear claw for starters. BBL for a full spot on meal?

Chet - getting older, I am starting to think more about having a breakdown such as you told about. The ladies were very luckly to have had the help that they did. Could have been some psycho killers that stopped? AND the fact that they hauled the car (and passengers) to town was certainly above the normal. Thank God that there are still folks around like that.

TomO - You are moving so fast that I can't keep up with you--- You might as well stop by here for some of our Temecula Valley wine, better known as NAPA SOUTH. I'll chill a few extra glasses just in case that you come flying thru?

WILLIE, I do hope that you are able to get the pool cover off before the summer is over with?

KARL - How;s BUD today - still on the mend I pray; I would like to take his file card out of the pack?

Got another mess with the RV it seems. Supposed to take it back first thing in tomorrow morning. I could not get the leveling system to work at the daughters house, so I brought it here and just for fun I said - what do I have to lose so I tried it here and it worked GOING DOWN-- then wife and I flushed out the water tank and put a small amount of bleach in it and were going to drive it around and let the water slouch around, then drain and flush again before refiling for their trip. Well, guess what, the damn thing would not retract. Fussed with if and just about were ready to give up when the Spousal Unit came out and said that she just watched a u-tube telling that a built in safety feature is built in to retract of you mistakenly try to drive off with the jacks down... it worked ... they retracted!
This morning's worry is to try and crawl under it to see if the hyd fluid is low? I am not a mechanic anymore, it hurts to crawl under anything, but I wonder it that maybe is the problem? I'll try and see before taking it back to the shop.

Better get started on my chores - still have all that "junk" to place out by the curb for p/u tomorrow morning.
Seens that I just do not have hardly any stamina remaining to do much anymore - not liking it in the least.

Later Gang!

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 65°. No rain in today's forecast, but another inch in the forecast for tomorrow. Heavy rain yesterday stayed mainly east and south of us, measurements of over 1.5" as close as six miles away, but only 0.17" here in my gauge. Saw some traffic stoppages in the opposing direction that were several miles long on the way home yesterday, and ended up taking an easy alternate route home when the traffic info signs said 25 minutes to go 17 miles! I spent most of the day at my daughter's new home yesterday helping my brother and an assortment of nieces and nephews paint and install light fixtures and ceiling fans. My wife ducked out by going to a pair of our granddaughter's dance recitals. Since I was in the neighborhood, I took a break and went over to the LHS, Discount Model Railroad, and bought some early Father's Day gifts for me. Her new house has a couple of great rooms for use as layout rooms, which they will not take advantage of.

Just a light breakfast today Flo, two eggs over easy, a side of bacon and a piece of cinnamon toast.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post, even though there were no pictures; Gary, Sherrel, Garry, Karl, Guy, Tom O, Patrick, Chet, Jaz, Tom, Hughie.

No time in the train shed yesterday due to the rehab project at my daughter's new home. But as I posted above, I did make it over to the LHS to pick up some goodies. I haven't unpacked yet, but I will do later today. I mainly got figures, vehicles and detail stuff. Full report here and on the RPO thread in the next day or so.

Patrick - Kids will tolerate a lower water temperature in pools than I will. I prefer 80°, but I will tolerate 77°; my wife likes 82°. Right now under the black cover it is 77°, which will drop slightly once the cover is off, until the sun comes out to warm things up.
Terry -
the medical gas supply place is only open Mon-Fri during my normal work hours.
Would a welding supply company be able to fill the tank using the filter from your oxygen generator?
Tom O - That was quite a change in plans. Continue to have a safe trip.
Chet - What an unfortunate/fortunate series of events for your wife. Hope that she eventually did well in the tournament.
By the way, I re-verified that US84 is four lanes all through Texas. Helpful hint, pay the toll and get on TX130 in Georgetown on the way to Pflugerville. Just drive onto it and they will mail you the toll charges later. No toll booths. I-35 is never good in the Austin area.
Sherrel - Still waiting for summer to actually arrive here! Temperatures are still 10°-12° below normal for this time of year.

Here are the last photos from the San Antonio Aquarium that we visited on our road trip last month.
Of course they had sharks, somewhat small in size but they could probably still bite.
IMG_6503.JPG

And several displays of colorful fish that guests were invited to pet???
IMG_6490.JPG
IMG_6489.JPG

And a few more land animals.
IMG_6494.JPG
IMG_6491.JPG
IMG_6493.JPG

IMG_6496.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6499.JPG

Y'all be safe and have a great Sunday.

EDIT: The strike-through devil hit me again this morning. I fixed it as soon as I noticed. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Last edited:
Willie - I see that your "strike out" button is working nicely today?

I'll try and "fix it"! Well, maybe I won't? When I poked on "Edit" the strike out disappeared - then I saw you had fixed it, but when I clicked on cancel of the edit - the strike out re-appeared - puzzled??

Last edited:
Good morning from Cave Creek, Arizona even though the mailing address says Scottsdale and the brother actually lives in Desert Mountain. Yeah, go figure.

Willie, I wish sometimes we had a small RV to just pull over and park. When we drive to Austin now for 9 years minus 2020 of Covid, we absolutely spend 10 days at the son’s place. We have spent 3 weeks but never again! Traveling between home and Austin can change overnight. Sometimes weather, sometimes family like my sister’s operation, often because we found a city interesting like OKC was a few years ago. We have driven home to Wisconsin through New Orleans and Orlando because of weather and a last minute decision to see Tiger Woods in a golf tournament in Orlando. It makes the trips driving to the son very interesting.

I really enjoy aquariums so thanks for showing those pictures. Along with Presidential Libraries, hobby shops, arboretums, aquariums are part of the visiting guide list for us when we drive around.

Chet, Texas130 like Willie said is a toll. They mail about 35-45 days after you drive it. If you like to drive fast once in a while it is the road to be on. Most sections are 80mph but some are 85 but no one drives even close to the limits but maybe me at about 85-90. My beloved race car driver wife had my VW Jetta R at 103. She could if in her car definitely do 130 but without me in the car.

Sherrel, I may take you up on that offer but on another trip. Definitely no California this time but when I come back to Arizona on the 23rd for my sister’s operation we may drive the niece back to her place in Pasadena.

terry, my mom had Copd for a few years before she died of lung cancer. She was on the oxygen those years and never had issues with the O2 supplier. When you get this sorted out please contact Medicare and tell them about the lack of service you are getting for the wife. It is in my book almost criminal what they are doing to your wife.

guy of the north, Inwardly I am laughing about the smell. By the way, excellent picture on your water feature and great looking garden. Terry when she retired wanted her garden again. I used mulch for the garden paths and what a timesaver that was. No weeds and no mud when it rained. All beds were raised with 2x12x12’ stained pine wood. 8” of cow manure and 4” of composted dirt. She retired in August of 2007 and I started building the garden in June. The smell was terrible till September. She planted stuff sometime in August of 2007 up until we moved in September of 2014 when I retired. The house sold in 2 weeks after listing and the realtor suggested the 1 acre garden was a major reason. I guess the fact it was 5 acres on a lake was minimal! Try to have fun with it.

mile road-Steve, having spent time in both Austin and Arizona in Summer and Fall, I can handle the Fall heat as the humidity in Texas lessens. I am not knocking Arizona but I am not a desert guy. I don’t see the appeal. Both my wife and I have spent much time around the Twin Cities, it‘s suburbs and Duluth taking the kids to hockey camps and tourneys. So hugely different then any part of Texas. Does the church move you around a lot?

Greg, little late for me responding to your posts but do you use tick repellent when you are at the cabin. My doctor told me another bout of Lymes diease is worst then the 1st bout. We are not missing Wisconsin yet, but the University has been emailing a big push for season tickets to all the sports. After missing spectators last Covid year I wonder how many $ they lost that they are trying to make up. Our hockey seat prices are up around 12%

Sitting around doing nothing was fine yesterday. Today I am Antsy but did refuse the invite to golf. We will tomorrow head off early to see Taliesin West in Scottsdale again. I am a huge FLW fan and architecture was my 1st passion but the math scared me away. While my brother golfs tomorrow his g/f will join my sister, wife and me. It should be fun.

Have a great day.
TomO

another from Zilker Park Arboretum

09CE7E17-1ECA-4519-AE4E-A7C39BD86183.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back