Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little behind but here's yesterdays and todays sunset in Cambria.
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg

Howdy .....

Karl and Chet .... Thanks for commenting on my photo. Also, many thanks to everyone who liked it.

Here are some pictures of Burlington's train running between Chicago and the Twin Cities with CB&Q and GN pooled F-units. I was running a model of that train in my picture yesterday.

36385419070_4b538ab159_b.jpg

36816866455_49b66e85bc_w.jpg

Willie ..... I like your photos of shops. I see a gum ball machine. You are the first one I have seen to include one of those.

Chet .... Your photos of the RDC are very nice.

Ken .... Crawling under the layout for wiring is probably one of the few negatives to our hobby.

Guy .... Thanks for posting the photos of CN action.

Tom .... Nice sunset pictures.

Everybody ..... Have a good night.

Karl - Hope the back get better. That drive to NYC must have been exciting. It's amazing what people will do for their kids.

Chet, that was Ken, not me, but I did make a run from Maryland to a point just north of Ft. Leonard Wood in Mo. to bring my oldest boy home once. Left at 8 am on a Friday, returned the rental van before noon on Sunday. Yes, parents do strange stuff at times.

Terry, You're into n scale, and its closer to you than it is to me. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/333952628354865/?ref=facebook_story_share
My sister in Wilmington sent it to me.

Good morning gang!

The preceding post was composed right before bed last night, and somehow I lost it! Gone, vanished, nowhere on my PC.
It was late for I said forget it and went to bed. Lo and behold, I opened up my phone this morning and there it was! Waiting for me to hit send. This technology stuff it crazy!

Flo, I could use a good strong Irish coffee this morning!!

Good morning y'all...Happy Hump Day to all that observe...75° and sunny as I write this, going to 97°, which is where it was yesterday. The forecasters are calling for off and on rain through Sunday, and gradual cooling.

Garry: Nice photo.

Finished the window installation of the Middlesex Mfg. build, then blackened the inside walls. I am considering some relatively dim interior lighting for effect... sort of like the Kimberly Clark Cigarette paper manufacturing facility in Spotswood NJ...(a similar structure to the Helm Tobacco Bldg in Helmetta, NJ). Perhaps I will assemble the completed walls, and photograph the structure today...or not...

Ran a few trains to amuse myself, before dinner. The Rapido RS-11 "burped" at one point, suddenly stopping on the Main but not losing power. It was backing (short hood lead). I was able to get it running in the opposite direction, and eventually, it restored itself to normal...for now...It has a factory Loksound sound decoder installed.

CNJ_Jersey City_Derrick Monarch fishes CNJ Eng 1087 out of Hudson River_1963.jpg

CNJ engine 1087 decided to cool off by diving in to the Hudson River back in 1963. The floating derrick "Monarch" came to the rescue. Look at that list...no outriggers for floating derricks. No photo credit, so I presume either a railroad or newspaper photo.

Morning - It's 63F heading for a high of 88F with mostly Sunny today. The Spousal Unit, two daughters and three G-sons are making tracks to leave for Disney Land at the moment. I have been informed that there is a water leak somewhere around the Kitchen Island? I haven't had coffee, so I haven't even looked. Joy-Joy!

FLO - Good morning - better bring me an extra pot and make it strong! thanks.
(I'll be sitting in the corner, crying!)

My neused computer arrived yesterday a little after 11AM. Haven't had much of a chance to hardly program it enough to learn anything. The Spousal Unit will have to "teach" me how to maneuver around a MAC?
Cheers, Folks!

Good morning global modelers from the front deck of a beautiful start of the day in So. Central Wisconsin. Yesterday we had at times very heavy rains until about 2 when it cleared up. The back deck replacement project should be completed today as the rain yesterday messed up the timing. At 1 I will take and wait while the grandson has hockey practice. Terry is in the house making regular chocolate chip cookies. The granddaughter had a serious talk with grandma Sunday asking why she stopped making her favorite cookie. Terry is working to correct that issue.

Both the SIL and our daughter had finally finished their consulting contracts and now are 100% working for us. The SIL handles the property and the daughter has been learning the ropes of our property management company. Both Terry and I were hoping for this time to come and they both are very good. On Sunday we were eating together and the SIL said he had 2 job offers, one of which he had said no to. The other he was considering. I congratulated him and asked if he had someone he relied on to the manage the Crews he was in charge of. He asked why and I told him you can’t do both full time for someone and be full time for us. He understood, the daughter did not! Looks like we will be selling off the property management company and looking for a leader amongst the employees for the property and stables. A mess I didn’t create but it will be straightened out by the 15th. This should be an interesting 2 weeks.

Things as parents we do for our kids: All trips from Central Wisconsin.

The first time I drove into Manhattan was with a F150 pickup in 2005. Delivering some furniture for the son’s new apartment that actually was in Harlem, he was interning at a studio in Manhattan. I grew up driving the expressways of Chicago. NYC drivers are nuts!

Drove the son in 2004 to Tempe Arizona in a 1998 Ford Taurus loaded to the gills as he was going to school. Found out on that trip that I disliked driving in the mountains.

2006, drove the son’s car to Steamboat Springs, Colorado and really found out I hated mountain driving.

Off I go to the office
enjoy your day
TomO

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 73° with no rain in sight. No real change in our forecast, moderate temperatures for this time of year, and thunderstorms predicted for 9 of the next 10 days. Surprisingly even with the heat elsewhere in the continent, our high has not exceeded 92° since 6-16; quite unusual and it is not predicted to get any higher in the ten day forecast! Nice enough and because of the partly cloudy days, the pool temperature has remained in the 82°-84° range for the last week.
I realized last evening why I have been feeling a bit more worn out when I leave the train shed after a session. From my workbench to the area that I am currently working on, it's an 87' walk each way!!! While I try to have all tools and supplies with me when I head over that way, there's always something that I need. And along with that, since I don't bring any food or drinks past the workbench into the layout area itself, not even the water bottle, There's all of those trips as well. Maybe I should get a Fitbit like my wife has! She doesn't think that I get any exercise out there!

A couple of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. How about bacon, egg and cheese with spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks to all for the comments and reactions to the Fresh Market photos yesterday; Garry, Chad, Tom O, Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Steve, Chet, Joe, Ken, Justin, Tom, James.

Life continues out in the train shed. More ground cover and the fence was fastened in place. I also painted the section of the driveway from the road to where the styrene structure base will be. I painted it directly on the plywood. Today I will reinstall the house and see if it works. Otherwise I will just make a driveway out of some styrene stock if it doesn't look right.
No progress pictures today, but I realized that I still have some more overall layout pictures that didn't get posted two weeks ago when I posted others.
Here's the north wall upper level taken from the other end from where I posted two weeks ago. This shows most of the city of Charlottesville.
IMG_6595.JPG

Here's the lower level showing the town of Budville (near), and Gainesville (far).
IMG_6594.JPG

Across the aisle on the upper level is most of the city of Maultown. At least the part that is next to the aisle.
IMG_6592.JPG

To the left is that Merchant's Row V block of buildings that I posted recently.
Below that is the unfinished outskirts of the city of Ft Wish.
IMG_6593.JPG

Behind that unfinished backdrop is the town of Graham that I am currently working on.

Guy - That's some crazy weather that y'all are having up there. Those two hoppers that you posted yesterday, are just two variants of the same thing, rapid-discharge hoppers meant primarily for hauling rock or gravel. The GACX car was manufactured by National Steel Car, while the TILX car was manufactured by Trinity Rail. Trinity Rail makes those cars in Ft Worth TX about 45 miles from me.
Garry - While I haven't commented on all of your photos recently, I have always enjoyed looking at pictures from your layout.
Ken - It appears that you had a successful day in the train room, despite the hassle.

Everybody have a great Wednesday, hump day for some, one day closer to the weekend for others. It will be a long one for me, lasting all month!

It seems Murphy has found me and parked here. My computer did a major update, Windows 10, 21h, and total havoc ensued. When it finally booted up it showed “Other User” which would not accept any of my log-in names or any password or any pin. No combination of name, pin or password would work. After a few chats with Microsoft it was determined that my User Profile was corrupt. They set me up with a download to fix everything up. After the download was complete it was like a new computer, not a single file was left, new profile needed, and surprise no Bluetooth. So I have been working the last few days getting everything back. Fortunately I backed up nearly everything to a remote USB. I’m pretty nearly done and it was an opportunity clean up the computer of apps and stuff I didn’t need or use.
The A/C crapped out yesterday. Granted it was 22 years old, but summertime is not the ideal time in southeast Texas to lose one’s A/C. So tomorrow bright and early a new total A/C and heater are to be installed. Luckily our grandson had a couple of portable room A/C units. They keep the bedroom cool for sleeping and one is in the den, which makes it tolerable.
We are in the process of having a whole house backup generator installed. On 7/7/21 the electrician will be here to replace the breaker box and panel. Murphy stuck his nose in here as well. Turns out our breaker box is a fire hazard, so much so that some insurance companies won’t insure a home with that brand. The Federal Govt. shut them down in the 90’s. Long story short, you cannot get the parts needed to safely connect a generator, up to code with interlocks using our existing box. And Murphy added, the meter can is not up to current code. So in addition to replacing the breaker box, we will need to change wiring and ground fault protection to the meter can.

Needless to say with no A/C there was little train time

STAY SAFE
LATER

DARN, Hughie! What a nightmare! AND the A/C on top of everything else.
Fortunately, our home here has two A/C units - so if one of them "konks" then we are not in the hurt that you are.
As far as computers go, I decided to go the Apple route for several reasons. The first being is that I am losing M/S in my mind that I cannot remember how to "fix" things when they do not work. The Spousal Unit went APPLE early and the only problem she has experienced is going to sleep and spilling a cup of coffee which "donked" her MAC. Her sister gave her a MACAIR and she picked up all her files, photos, and 'stuff" from the icloud. This woman is a wizzsbang with her machine - and this is the woman who called me at midnight in the hotel room in London one night from StLouis threatening to throw my 286 off the balcony because she could not pull up her flight schedule!

Well, I found my water leak -- The garbage disposer is leaking water out the bottom of the housing. I just replaced this disposal only not more that 3-4 years back. Off to HD I go!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 73° with no rain in sight. No real change in our forecast, moderate temperatures for this time of year, and thunderstorms predicted for 9 of the next 10 days. Surprisingly even with the heat elsewhere in the continent, our high has not exceeded 92° since 6-16; quite unusual and it is not predicted to get any higher in the ten day forecast! Nice enough and because of the partly cloudy days, the pool temperature has remained in the 82°-84° range for the last week.
I realized last evening why I have been feeling a bit more worn out when I leave the train shed after a session. From my workbench to the area that I am currently working on, it's an 87' walk each way!!! While I try to have all tools and supplies with me when I head over that way, there's always something that I need. And along with that, since I don't bring any food or drinks past the workbench into the layout area itself, not even the water bottle, There's all of those trips as well. Maybe I should get a Fitbit like my wife has! She doesn't think that I get any exercise out there!

A couple of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. How about bacon, egg and cheese with spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks to all for the comments and reactions to the Fresh Market photos yesterday; Garry, Chad, Tom O, Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Steve, Chet, Joe, Ken, Justin, Tom, James.

Life continues out in the train shed. More ground cover and the fence was fastened in place. I also painted the section of the driveway from the road to where the styrene structure base will be. I painted it directly on the plywood. Today I will reinstall the house and see if it works. Otherwise I will just make a driveway out of some styrene stock if it doesn't look right.
No progress pictures today, but I realized that I still have some more overall layout pictures that didn't get posted two weeks ago when I posted others.
Here's the north wall upper level taken from the other end from where I posted two weeks ago. This shows most of the city of Charlottesville.
View attachment 129552
Here's the lower level showing the town of Budville (near), and Gainesville (far).
View attachment 129553
Across the aisle on the upper level is most of the city of Maultown. At least the part that is next to the aisle.
View attachment 129554
To the left is that Merchant's Row V block of buildings that I posted recently.
Below that is the unfinished outskirts of the city of Ft Wish.
View attachment 129555
Behind that unfinished backdrop is the town of Graham that I am currently working on.

Guy - That's some crazy weather that y'all are having up there. Those two hoppers that you posted yesterday, are just two variants of the same thing, rapid-discharge hoppers meant primarily for hauling rock or gravel. The GACX car was manufactured by National Steel Car, while the TILX car was manufactured by Trinity Rail. Trinity Rail makes those cars in Ft Worth TX about 45 miles from me.
Garry - While I haven't commented on all of your photos recently, I have always enjoyed looking at pictures from your layout.
Ken - It appears that you had a successful day in the train room, despite the hassle.

Everybody have a great Wednesday, hump day for some, one day closer to the weekend for others. It will be a long one for me, lasting all month!
Re Crazy Weather: 37/97F in the shade at my place, only *good* thing is the 15 mph breeze. Same for tomorrow as I pick up a camper van for a 200 km (one way) sojurn to the *lake* for 4 nights with friends from last place of residing.

Be careful with that. One of my coworkers in CA made the mistake of claiming an inheritance. Once he signed off, the state swooped in and dumped so many claims against him as heir he was not only forced into bankruptcy, he had liens against him for millions of dollars for what will almost certainly be the rest of his life.
I had a sort of related issue,my grandfather disappeared decades ago, my dad wanted to find him,I traced him,he left all of three thousand but if I claimed it I had to pay all his kids and their children and children’s children my dad would have only got 500 pounds,and three great grandchildren who had to be paid out were untraceable,I closed the claim,family moaned..so I offered them them the paperwork and the warning they could be sued by anyone in the family,need,es to say no one took up the gauntlet so the government contentedly sits on the 3 grand. Plus apparently people have sued for much more than their share when the poor bugger who processed had cash for them to sue for…..yeah not opening THAT can of worms

Morning - It's 63F heading for a high of 88F with mostly Sunny today. The Spousal Unit, two daughters and three G-sons are making tracks to leave for Disney Land at the moment. I have been informed that there is a water leak somewhere around the Kitchen Island? I haven't had coffee, so I haven't even looked. Joy-Joy!

FLO - Good morning - better bring me an extra pot and make it strong! thanks.
(I'll be sitting in the corner, crying!)

My neused computer arrived yesterday a little after 11AM. Haven't had much of a chance to hardly program it enough to learn anything. The Spousal Unit will have to "teach" me how to maneuver around a MAC?
Cheers, Folks!
I use a Mac,probably not the best person to tell someone else how to use it, but if your stuck and if I can I will help…..god help you if your that desperate lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back