Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. 80 and sunny, going to 96 or so...more or less typical for the last week in June / first week in July.

Well, the Habs took it on the chin last night. :mad: Hopefully, they will recover their spunk, and win the next 4. Dougie Hamilton, must have struck a nerve, with his cap comment, because Gary B. and Daily went through great lengths to explain why it was appropriate under the CBA. Also signaled their interest in closing the loophole, should the players want to negotiate a change. :rolleyes:

Spent some time working on my Middlesex Manufacturing build...there are a lot of widows to insert. Also did some switching on the reading side.

1965 wreck in Michigan.jpg

Another view of the 1965 wreck in Michigan. Trackmen working in the foreground, and the roof of an overturned cabin car in the background.

P70far coach - Hagley Museum.jpg

From the Hagley Museum collection, a 3/4 view of a PRR class P70far coach after rebuild in 1941. These cars remained in service through to the end of the Penn Central.

Stay cool...be safe

Morning from the West where we are 63F and looking for an 87 high later today (it reached a 93F high yesterday.

Well, TERRY was right - The computer did not show up Sunday evening, nor did it show up yesterday even after I received a notice from UPS that it would. Later on they sent me another notice that TODAY would be the delivery day - after this I will just not get my hopes up again! Twice fooled is enough; it will get here when the gods decide it will?

Coffee in the corner where I will sulk for awhile, FLO - I will order later on after a cup or two!

Good Morning!
I awoke this morning to temperatures of 66F; about as hot in the morning as I can ever remember. Might hit 97F come the afternoon.
I know the good folks down south are used to this heat, but I don't like it. Turns out, my preference is to go for a drive in the air-conditioned truck.
That's exactly what the wife and I did yesterday. Burned gas to stay cool, and journeyed down to Edson so she could buy more flowers and I could catch some rail photos.

I share some of those photos with you here today
Being as Edson is on the CN mainline to the ports of Vancouver, a rail-fan don't have to wait too long for some action.
I stood at a crossing for a few moments only, and a train pulling short 3-bay hoppers came by. Looked like it was transporting limestone gravel for the making of cement, and it was heading east towards Edmonton. There is a very large rail-served cement facility located in Edmonton; Inland Cement, I believe.

Here's the train a-coming, hoppers pulled by a pair of ES44AC's:
Edson_06-28-2021 (2).jpg

There is a small trestle crossing over a bog beside that spot. CN 2981 leading with CN 2972 as second:
Edson_06-28-2021 (3).jpg

Edson_06-28-2021 (4).jpg

After traversing the trestle and the public road crossing, the train heads into the Edson CN yard, where there is a container train waiting to go west, as well as some parked railcars:
Edson_06-28-2021 (8).jpg

When I took those photos, I was standing at the public rail crossing, cooking in the severe heat. So, I didn't stand there for very long.
On a more pleasant day, that would be a good spot to railfan. Lots of action. Problem is, I have to drive for an hour from my home to get there.

This is the type of hoppers that train was pulling. Looked like two different type of manufacturer:
Edson_06-28-2021 (16).JPG

Apologies, I didn't edit that last photo.

Edson has made an old depot into a museum of sorts, and it's located in the park across the highway from where I was rain-fanning. I didn't go in because I wasn't packing my mask with me when I walked over:
Edson_06-28-2021.jpg

To bad it was renovated from the original.
The only railcar preserved in the park is that old caboose that I've shared photos of before, in the coffee shop:
Caboose_CN 77704_Edson_06-28-2021.jpg

Well folks, I can't hang around too long. It's already hotter than I can handle in here. I'm going to run away and seek some cool to lay around in.

Thanks for the likes on my photo posts!
Have a good one!

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the rain May chase me off the front deck. I watched the local weather guy last night on the TV and he reports even with the 3” of rain in the last 10 days we are 7”+ behind the normal. It is raining now, it is 73f degrees heading to 77 today. Our rains should be stopping around noon.

The back deck has new joists and except for one piece of composite the floor of the deck is done. It’s always nice to see professionals work and follow a plan. Stairs and the railings are next but they came this morning to pick up some of the composite for the shop. It’s coming down too hard to work outside.

I never made it to the trainroom yesterday. The plan is to put the 2” foam down today.

Have a wonderful day
TomO

Good morning gang!

Got in late this morning. slept too good last night. Went to the Chiropractor last night for my 1st session, and while my back is not 100%, it does feel better. 2-3 sessions a week for 3-4 weeks to feel any real relief but this is a good start.

Garry, Love the pics of the Q. If I didn't model local roads, I would model the Q for sure!

BBL

Alright, Alright! You guys can STOP complaining about all the rain anytime now!

GUY -- Sorry that you are having a miserable time with the heat -- the 60 to 90 range "F" coupled with the LOW humidity is my favorite time of year around here. We just need some occasionally rain.
Really great photos you have been posting; suffer some more and click, click the camera!

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy, wet and 73° here on the plains of North Central Texas. The rain finally came around 3:30 yesterday, with about 0.7" and another 0.25" overnight. Rain is still in the forecast for the next five days and 8 of the next 10. Today and tomorrow will be cool at under 90° and overnight lows in the lower 70's. I don't have to add water to the pool for another couple of days now. On a normal summer day around here, I lose about a 1/4" daily due to evaporation.
Tomato harvest is picking up with 3-4 a day right now. I see a couple of the plants are succumbing to fusarium wilt. This will shorten this years season, and because it resides in the soil for several years, will most likely cause me to move the garden next year, at least the tomatoes. I have plenty of fallow land, but it isn't in the same workable shape that the current garden offers. I guess that after 40 years in this location, I have had very good luck.
Most of the yard has been mowed before the rain, maybe 2.25 out of 3 acres. My hayfield is doing well with Johnson Grass since we didn't get to plant the usual Sudan Grass this spring. Some of that self-sowed from last year as well. There's really not a lot of difference between the two.
I had a successful trip to the recycling center (scrap yard) yesterday, profit was far higher than the gas required to get there and back. Prices there are up from last time, aluminum cans went to 35¢/lb, up from 32¢; scrap steel doubled to 8¢/lb and copper was at $3.37. Net result was $33 take home for about a gallon of gas used. That's not really a good way for an individual to make a living though. Main point though is that I got rid of everything for now, but there is still more. The real profit next time will come from the structural aluminum from my old single-glaze windows that I replaced years ago, but have never fully disassembled. Steel screws and glass fragments contaminate it and the pay rate is less than 20% of clean stuff. The structural stuff (6063 aluminum) is usually worth over 80¢/lb. That's one reason that we had such tight security at our window plant regarding both raw and scrap aluminum.

Thanks to all patrons for the likes and comments regarding the layout section progress; Steve, Guy, Justin, Karl, Rick, Tom O, Chad, Hughie, James, Garry, Sherrel, Joe.

Just an Apple Fritter and OJ today Flo, Not really in the mood for anything greater.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued to add ground cover. While I waited for glue/water to set up a bit, I did a bit of improvement to a structure that I made about two years ago. It is a Woodland Scenics Landmark Structure called Fresh Market. I had never installed the storefront window glazing until yesterday. It required using dry transfers on the acetate, and I guess that I just felt lazy at the time.
IMG_6648.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6654.JPG

I see a problem in the interior with the untrimmed door acetate that will require a minor trim now that I see it.
Then I got bored and ran trains for a while. Felt good as I don't think that I had run them since Thursday or Friday. I ran four freights end to end on the lower level, two in each direction, interspersed with a couple of "out and back" covered hopper swaps at three grain elevators. One at my largest grain elevator, ADM, involved picking up 16 loads and dropping off 16 empties. The other two elevators located in the town that I am working in, got 4 swaps at one, and three swaps at the other.
I didn't take any photos of the ground cover out there yesterday, so nothing new.

Jaz - Nice collection of tractors. If I had that large Kubota, I would have moved every square inch of soil on my 15 acres over the years that I have lived here. Regarding your bum leg/hip: Around the time that I turned 60, my body told me to slow down just a little bit and be more cautious.
Justin - Cool story about your daughter.
Hughie -
Willie - Nice blue house, must have a lot of teens living there based on the number of cars in the driveway.
The cars belong to all of the family members visiting for the reunion. I model an era when not every teen had a car as well.
Sherrel - That Wemyss Castle seems to have a rather storied and documented past. It would be a good place to start exploring.

Everybody have a great day. It's a lot later than usual for me to be posting, but the dogs have required extra maintenance today, wet paws!

Good Morning everyone out there in model railroad land. We're getting some much needed rain and last night we have several downpours. A loud bit of thunder woke Riley up at around 3:00 AM and she started to howl. Surprisingly for being less than 9 months old she sounds and acts like a mature canine. Still raining this morning and the grass is getting greener. The Weather Service shows that we have had between 4 and 5 inches of rain in the last several days at the cabin. And, I was worried about the potted plants needing watering!

Has anyone seen any postings by Alan (aka Espreefan)? I enjoy reading his posts and he also lives my part of Wisconsin.

I haven't really followed my Family Tree much, but what I do know is that some of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War first for the British then switching sides and some individuals fighting for the Colonies. It seemed that they were given a better offer from the Colonists than the Brits. An offer of free land when the war ended. But, some did stay with the Brits and finally settled in Canada and many others went to the Carolina's and here in Wisconsin. A decreased relative tracked my Dad's side of the family, but her records are no were to be found.

I do know that during the First World War, a prisoner of war camp was in Milwaukee and my Grandparents on my mother's side of the family visited relatives from Germany held at the camp and brought sausage, bread and beer to have a picnic lunch with the relatives. The Germans had a free rein since none of them wanted to attempt to escape and if given the choice would stay in the US after the war. I remember seeing pictures of the camp and the many picnic tables throughout the exterior of the camp. My grandfather was happy not to serve in the army and have to fight his relatives, but did work in a tool shop to help the war effort. He remained in his position even during WWII.

My grandfather, like me enjoyed railroading, but he liked the 1:1 switchers in the Milwaukee Road yards in Milwaukee during the 1950's. He operated high and low pressure boilers for many years in a manufacturing setting. I have a watch fob of one of his boilers and it is exactly like one of the three boilers I was responsible for at my position at work. Our boilers were low pressure Cleaver/Brooks boilers.

I really have lost touch with so many of my distance relatives. I have only distance cousins as relatives. A total of six cousins and I see only three once in awhile.

I sure miss working on the model railroad. I would venture down to the layout room, but I think Cathy is afraid I wouldn't make it back up the stairs. I just may try it next week. Standing is hard for me for me to do, but I could work at the work bench or work on my rolling stock inventory.

Plan on seeing this weekend some friends who I haven't seen in 18 months. Al and I shoot black powder rifles when we can get to his cabin's back yard and the shooting range he build there.

So much for today's rambling.

Greg

############################

1624986464214.png

Thanks for the TIP, WILLIE! I will start doing some follow up to my mom's research of years gone by.
Time to claim my inheritance! LOL 😁
Be careful with that. One of my coworkers in CA made the mistake of claiming an inheritance. Once he signed off, the state swooped in and dumped so many claims against him as heir he was not only forced into bankruptcy, he had liens against him for millions of dollars for what will almost certainly be the rest of his life.

My first permanent track installed:

Good afternoon. Warm again up here like the rest of the country. Only 90 this afternoon, cooler ? than forecasted.

Got a bad start to the day this morning. My wife had a 7 AM flight to Florida to do some investigation on housing down there plus to visit her old school friend. She arranged for an Uber ride to the airport. I never used Uber but my wife and the ladies that went for the ladies national tournament did. 2 minutes before the pick up time she got a message that there wasn't a driver available after watching the Uber app on her phone showing the location of so called driver getting closer. Didn't really bother me taking her to the airport but I know I'll never use a service like this again.

Been down in the basement for the last couple of afternoons getting things ready for the guy to take down the layout.

Have to take the new pup to doggie school tomorrow and then the club will be open to the public both on Thursday and Friday for some special event over in Livingston. The only thing that I'll have to run there is my RDC as everything else will be history.

Willie - I just love the little details you put into your scenes.

Garry - Great photo as usual.

Joe -
Love the prototype photos.

Karl
- Hope the back get better. That drive to NYC must have been exciting. It's amazing what people will do for their kids.

Here are some RDC photos from the archives.

thumbnail_20190905_143243.jpg

thumbnail_20190905_152622 (2).jpg

thumbnail_20190912_151401.jpg

thumbnail_20190905_135114.jpg

thumbnail_20190905_150608.jpg

thumbnail_20190912_151540.jpg

thumbnail_20190902_104323.jpg

Going to be a busy few days coming up.

Later

Alright, Alright! You guys can STOP complaining about all the rain anytime now!
when we lived in LA during the last drought, I calculated that I'd need about 2500 miles of garden hose, and a few hundred booster pumps to get excess water from Indiana to LA.

I forget how many rolls of 50ft garden hose that translated into.

We're in NE Indiana, but not Canada hot. And rainy... but not hurricane rainy. Little pop ups right now that do 1/10 of an inch if we're lucky.

But, it's muggy. I'm dumping about 2 gallons of water out of the dehumidifier each day (watering plants with it, unless it rains). You're welcome to get your hose going, and I'll dump the deH water into your intake each day.

Hi Shop Dwellers. 84*F, calm and clear skies in my neck of the central MD woods.

Didn't post yesterday because I wound up spending more time in the trainroom than I had planned. Not running trains of course, but tackling a track job I've been procrastinating on for years: pulling out some #4 turnouts from a deactivated switchover in my steel mill yard, and replacing those with straight track pieces. Luckily the removal part wasn't so bad since I never solder the rail joiners on turnouts - part of planning for their eventual removal intact. The time-consuming part was crawling under the benchwork to solder the feeder wires to the new track sections, a major pain since clearances are so extremely tight. But I slogged onward and got the new track installed, working all of yesterday evening and another hour today.

Maybe now I can get on with decluttering the layout surfaces...

Guy -thanks for the explanation on the cement blocks!

Those of you who can post pics, keep 'em coming!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Speaking of tamales, let me relate a story about my son-in-law, who was born and raised in Pittsburgh PA, and whose only exposure to Mexican food was Taco Bell. He came to Texas in the early 2000's to go to college and he and some dorm friends went to a "real Mexican" restaurant one night. He ordered tamales since he had never had them. After enduring hushed laughter and giggles, he asked what was up? One of his buddy's asked how were the tamales and he responded that they tasted great but were a bit tough to eat. When he was down to the last one, one fellow finally told him that he was supposed to remove the corn husk prior to eating! If you are unfamiliar with tamales, they are a cooked meat, with or without other stuff, rolled in a mazo (corn meal) dough, and wrapped in a corn husk. They are then steamed and you remove the husk to eat.

Now that is funny. Even I figured out how to eat tamales as a Yankee from Mass. (Born in Arizona but moved at 10 and the only tamales I had seen in Arizona were the canned variety which are not wrapped in corn husks). Tamales are darn good. Making me hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back