Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all !
Looks good -- how sweet is it? I do not like my wine too sweet - nor too tart!
Beautiful color!
Very sweet. My wife loves it (me too). :)

04.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Howdy there internet Model RR people...

It's Troy again...

Since this is the wife's Staycation week (well, three days... a couple of projects at work got complicated and she ended up working two of her five days off).

Here in The Fort, we are currently dodging raindrops to enjoy the annual summer-time fun of the Three Rivers fest. Yep, Fort Wayne is one of those places where two rivers meet and form to make a third. But, Wednesday was a nice sunny day, highs in the mid 80°s (f). So we ventured out.

Our first stop was the Ft. Wayne History museum. Some cool artifacts in there, including some on the various rail and support industries here.

Here's the highlights of that tour:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.43.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.17 AM.png

Apologies for the goober who had to take a selfie in front of the replica drive wheel
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.45.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.45.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.45.47 AM.png

tomorrow, part II of our visit to the interesting Ft. Wayne History Museum...

Morning all,

Looks like a weekend off!! Yeah!!

1404 is scheduled to stop at the wife's hometown next month and I was planning to take the grandson again. It is the day before he starts middle school. Sixth grade has to go a day before 7th and 8th graders do. But since the area is on the verge of exploding covid (close to SW Missouri), and he can't yet be vaccinated, I'm not going. In-laws are a couple of blocks from where it's scheduled to stop, so parking isn't a concern, but after chasing it in 2019 and the throngs of people shoulder to shoulder, it just isn't safe enough of the grandkids yet. It isn't like we haven't seen it in person. Maybe next year.

Well, my tech is officially my supervisor in a month. He's does Facilities stuff as well, so he's taking over when the current boss retires. I was asked whether I wanted to consider taking the job, but I said I didn't want the job. I'm at the age I don't want to deal with the added stress. We're going to be hiring a full-time tech and a project manager to help him do the current boss's job. Part-time kid going to full time as well. Current boss has been in the position since the mid-80's so big shoes to fill.

Greetings all,

Quick post as I must leave soon.

Finished the bracelet! Not something my wife would wear, but the commissioner seems happy by the pics. Wife taking it to her this morning and we will see.

20210715_180900.jpg

Wife thinks I am nuts to think about the train conductor job - - - but $37/hour is almost what I make now! And no self-employment tax!!

Later folks! -------- Steve J

Good morning Crew. 64f degrees and it is very humid. I am back in the house as there is no breeze out there. The weatherchannel app says a 2 mph wind but I could see any trees moving or feel it. I don’t want to be in the house! The south deck is a mess this morning. 2 birds dead on the deck and bird crap all over. The last week or so the birds seem to think they can fly through the windows and mostly they get stunned but not these 2. I will get the hose and brush out today as the walls and glass have to be cleaned up.

Good pictures everyone.

Patrick, the Big Boy was definitely a treat, even Terry was impressed when we saw it touring Wisconsin in 2019. I’d chase it again if it was closer to Wisconsin. Glad you are able to handle the change of leadership at work. Not an easy thing even when you agree with it.

Chad, interesting story. There are idiots all over but he’s sounds like a real douche bag. Bonus rooms over garage spaces are a huge benefit in my part of Wisconsin and are actually a great selling feature.

Flo, please a ham and cheese omelette with TJ and 1 piece of sourdough toast no jelly. I would like a diet Cherry Pepsi this morning. TY.

Terry and I are sitting down for a financial date this morning. We have to catch up on things and I really don’t pay attention to the personal finances as she handles everything flawlessly. She has something on her mind. The SIL is coming back to manage the property we live on Monday. The daughter is being stubborn but both of them will be here to meet around 3. I really want to get rid of the property management company entirely. I thought I wanted to keep the Wisconsin apartments but not anymore if the daughter really won’t come back. I do have a deal for the places in Edwardsville and Bloomington, Illinois. They will change over 8/1 to the current manager who has been with us for 11 years. She and her hubby are so happy.

Have a great day
TomO
5777A41C-A5B6-4441-BF95-07D9145B38F6.jpeg

A muggy 76° and partly cloudy, relative humidity is a rather high 88%, kind of unusual. Didn't make it to 90° yesterday as our cooler summer weather still prevails. I noted lightning out the north window last night, but it looks like the thunderstorms are moving east and staying north of the Oklahoma border, 25 miles away.
I've been watching this mama outside the train shed lately, she has doubled in size in just two weeks. She is now about 5" tip to tip. And she has about two more months to grow before making her egg sac. There's 100's of these things scattered about, mostly in the thicket around my pond. At least they eat grasshoppers.
IMG_6876 (2).JPG

Kind of a sloppy web though.
Speaking of those damn grasshoppers, I have noted a second generation all about the place. Just when the first generation has slowed their consumption.
I paused on the mowing yesterday, I am caught up except for the "back 40". It has gotten away from me. I can get one of the neighbors to come in with his "big machine" and cut a swath from the road to the pond and back, since he already volunteered to do so; or I can just wait until the other neighbor cuts my hayfield. I could also set the mower deck on high and get it but I just haven't had time.
Grocery/beer trek yesterday was uneventful, even with my wife tagging along. She puts stuff in the cart that's not on the list! And finally, the county road maintenance people mowed the road easement out front for the first time this year. My guess is the county fire marshal forced them due to the heightened grass fire concerns. We have a nearby resourceful rancher always comes along and bales up the hay after they let it get so tall.

Mel's garbage omelet sounds good today Flo. I'll take extra bacon on the side.

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments regarding the current progress on the layout; Joe, Ken, Tom O, Karl, Christian, Steve, Guy, Sherrel, Hughie, Tom, Patrick, Garry. I wish that I was spending more time out there right now.

I did spend some time out in the train shed yesterday and made some more minor progress. I added a road, simple and mostly out of sight, and got some of the track ballasted after testing it briefly.
IMG_6880.JPG

Not much but I added a sign to the John Deere dealership.
IMG_6881.JPG

Still need to ballast the remainder of that trackage as well as the incoming switch.
I mentioned the interior lighting in that structure might not be visible and I may remove it. In it's location on the old layout, this view was highly visible and I had a tractor in the showroom window.
IMG_6879.JPG

As you can see by other pictures, that showroom window is basically just facing the Star Manufacturing building.
That small area between the tractor distributor and the railroad spur will be an outdoor tractor and implement display area.

Tom O - That's one hell of a pool.
Guy -
The backdrop structures angle cut like that for 3d effect look good.
I can't say that I came up with that idea on my own, I probably saw it in a book 30 years ago. But it is an excellent way to make use of that inevitable wasted space in corners.
Hughie - It's good that all of your remodeling, forced or not, went well.
Sherrel - I love curling as well, but as others have pointed out it's in the Winter Olympics. Good to read that Kate's trip is going safely even though stuff isn't working like planned. She might not want to try that awning again for fear that it won't retract!
Jaz -
First time I have seen it in its entirity and 2 levels totally love it
There's another 1/3 out of view below and to the left. Thanks for the comment.
Garry - Have they figured out how that cruise liner got stuck to begin with? It sure seems like there's enough room there for it to have avoided the sand bar.
Chad - Well you're finally making progress on the house.
Patrick - There's certainly something to be said about not adding to your stress level. Good decision. I was very fortunate to be able to leave the job behind me the minute that I left the parking lot; and not think about it again until I returned. The boss also respected private time and never called me at home, but I never left any unfinished business to give him a reason to. I saw many fellow managers with ulcer issues and some with mental strain because they could not separate the two lives.

Everyone have a great day and have an awesome weekend to those who have already started.

Good Morning!
It's finally rained a bit this morning; enough to fill half of the 45gal rain barrels. I'm praying for a real soaker today. We need it badly to help out on the forest-fires and general health of the environment.
57F this fine morning. It feels refreshingly cool. I'm happy!

Chadbag - Glad you were able to get the 'whole' story off you're chest.

Troy - Thanks for posting photos of the Ft Wayne museum. I'll never see it any other way. - That's a nice Dick Tracy watch you have there!

SteveJ - The bracelet looks kind of chainmail armor type. I was just hearing on the news yesterday, that there is a high demand niche market for chainmail armor. Something to consider if the conductor job don't pan out.

I'm going to post a couple of photos of a bald Bluejay that visited one of my bird baths. At first, I thought it was a Bluejay chick, but, now I'm not so sure. The body plumage looks adult to me. I believe that either something is physically wrong with the bird, or something deliberately tried to hurt it. Possibly even a human who caught it and plucked it's head. There are a lot of sick people out there.
BlueJay1_07-15-2021.jpg

Bluejay2_07-15-2021.jpg

On more happy thoughts, here is today's train photo. CN 5329 at a different angle:
CN 5329_07-13-2021.jpg

One more photo. This is the rail bridge crossing the Athabasca River, the one I had to cross twice because I forgot to pick up a bag, and had to come back to get it.
AthabascaRailBrdg_07-14-2021.jpg

I hike out to that spot quite often trying to catch a train crossing the bridge. So far, I have not been successful. The trick is to be there when a train is crossing on a day that is good for photos. Sometimes, I think it's like winning the lottery.

Willie - I'm not afraid of spiders, but, that one in the photo looks dangerous. Glad it's not on my side of the world.

I suppose that's enough yip-yap. Thanks for the coffee!

Unfortunately I do get calls at night, due to the 24 hour nature of Emergency Services. If they go down, I go in. I've been on call with various jobs for so long, it doesn't bother me. I do expect more calls as the current boss is salaried and wants to be called first to reduce overtime pay. I get travel time when I do have to go in after hours.

No, that thing is an alien. I saw it on a Hollywood documentary called 'Alien'.
It's an Australian Huntsman Spider. Range from quite small and all the way up to this one. It had a name for it but forget what it was. They don't build webs and are harmless except to the heart if one drops on you from the ceiling etc. New Zealand has them too and they are the only species to form communities. They were used in the film "Acrophobia" because of that. So, to you they are Aliens. Aren't you lucky. They do have one skill, they move exceedingly quickly. I was undoing the lug nuts from a wheel in a wrecker's yard using a "spinner" here in Queensland. One about 2 inches or so across fell onto my foot (it was grassy) and threw the spanner at it as it escaped. Couldn't see where it went so picked up the spinner and went to continue undoing the nuts when I noticed the tips of it's legs just around the edge of one socket. It's body was compressed down into the sockets recess. So I threw it away again.

Good Afternoon all! Another hot one today. They are forecasting a 50% chance of rain but it seems all the storms are building north of I-10.
While the contractors did excellent work, their clean up skills could stand a little honing. One threw the old lumber out with all the nails sticking out, so I needed to fix that. The other just threw the old electrical stuff in a pile along with water bottles and Coke cans and wads of electrical tape. So I spent the day cleaning up and then mowing.

Willie - Looks like a banana spider.
Tootnkumin - You can keep what ever that is.
McLeod - like your CN photos. Maybe that bald blue jay has a cousin that's a bald eagle

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back