Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

The heatwave is finally breaking! It will still be unmanageably hot today at 85F, but, by next week we will be somewhere in the 70's. That sounds more like summer to me.
I just can't figure how people from the south can work with the high temperatures. It seems so unnatural to me. Like being on another planet.
70F with pillow cloud is a very good day.

I'm back to walking the dog every morning and evening. I need to get back into that routine of daily forest walks, that I've missed since our last dog, old Joe, passed away in 2017. We'll be heading out shortly. - I love walking; hate running, so I just don't run. Sky, will get used to the routine in a very short time.

Thankyou all, for the many likes pitched in on my friend 'Sky' photos.

My photo set that I offer for today is kind of boring, but may be of use for some. This is a Georgia Northeastern Railroad center-beam flat. I took lots of photos of it, just because I like the color.
CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (2).jpg

CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (3).jpg
CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (4).jpg

CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (5).jpg

CntrBmFlats_06-23-2021 (6).jpg

Well, time to walk the dog! BBL

Good morning gang!

Looking forward to the 3 day weekend, will be stopping at HD tonight to pick up deck/fence/house wash, and fuel for the pressure washer. May even turn it loose on the trucks. Also on the agenda is to do more exploratory work on the grandson's quad, that wont run now. I have a theory........

Guy, good lookin dog ! Love those rescue dogs!(my 2 are)

BBL

Good morning .....

My treat today..... How about some scrumptious goodies from Kirchhoff's Bakery in Paducah. We went there yesterday. .... Cinnamon roll, bear claw, sticky bun with pecans and raisins, and a yummy apricot almond creation. Each one is huge. We also purchased a loaf of cranberry walnut bread, but I did not take a picture of it. ...

51285176098_97587355a3_k.jpg

Everybody .... chow down.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1625236611050.jpg

A busy one yesterday at the club and it's going to be even busier today as there is a big festival outside the depot today.

Hughie - Impressive photo. You've done some nice work there.

Guy - I really like that you rescued the dog. We have had dachshunds for years and every one has been rescued from either an individual or a rescue. We had to take a trip to Texas for the last one a few weeks ago.

Tom O - Not having air conditioning with the current weather we've all been having is not good at all. All we have here is a window unit for the bedroom. Thankfully we only have to use it a few times a year.

Troy
- Good photo. Might have a hard time and may need a helper or two.

Joe - Sure like that shark, almost clean too.

Here are a couple of photos taken yesterday. Some are a bit blurry as everything was moving and with so many trains running we couldn't stop any of them.

thumbnail_20210624_151826.jpg

thumbnail_20210701_144959.jpg

Sure like this A-B-B-A FT set.

thumbnail_20210701_135948.jpg

thumbnail_20210701_145500.jpg

Got to get going as we are starting early today. 11 AM to 6 PM.

Later

Chet, great shots of some pretty nice scenes.

Garry, my glucose readings shot up just looking at the Bear Claw and I am ignoring the rest. Just one bite, pleaseeee…

guy, if you ever tire of posting the rolling stock shots, tell me and any shots you take can be emailed direct to me. I love the center beam as that will be a weekend project for weathering, I have 4 to weather. Perfect timing, thank you

Mike, I have worn shorts and either a polo or t-shirt since May 1st. Shoes only if outside. Genes were put on last weekend for 3 hours.

the A/C guy, came and replaced a module and then tested the pressure. Turns out my #11 Merv, charcoal coated air filters are not for this unit. Even though #11’s are recommended. The Tech said, this is the reason we are having issues with this unit. The filters are great but they are too tight for the unit. He replaced it with a regular pleated finance filter and showed me the readings. The #11 filter was straving the unit of air. Therefore freezing the unit and killing the modules. He did say though that I should replace the air filters every 30 days but no longer then 45. He will stop on the way back to his shop around 4 to see if everything is fine and to test a merv#8 no charcoal filter.

Enjoy the day
TomO

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 74° (23°C) on my back porch; I'm reasonably sure the front porch is the same. There's evidence that we had some sprinkles overnight, even though there is nothing in the rain gauge. Rainfall yesterday, if you call it that, was 0.01", hardly noticeable. There's widespread rain areas just north of the TX/OK border about 20 miles (32km) away, but so far the Red River is holding them back.
So what's happening here? Wife has been gone seven days and I have run out of "honey-do's". I did do some of my usual daily "fun in the summertime" mowing again yesterday, some of the usual gardening tasks and the glorious time in the pool. Funny how a pool with a temperature of 83° (28°C) can feel warm (but refreshing) in the early morning after walking, but feels cool in the afternoon after mowing or other activity!
Grocery trek went well yesterday, all items on my list were in stock and I even picked up something that caught my eye. I usually don't do that. Got a haircut so now I don't quite resemble a Neanderthal person, no beard trim though. On the way home, I stopped in at a Schlotzsky's right next door to the Pro Cuts and ate there for the first time in my life. Another thing that I don't normally do is eat at fast food joints. All of my stops just took too long and it was already 1:00 and I didn't want to wait another 30 minutes til I got home. Roast Beef & Cheese on their sourdough bread was very good.

PAUSE while I turn off the computer as those thunderstorms finally snuck across the border and are here.

OK, the major storm has passed by and I am back. Rain gauge shows 1.75" in the 45 minutes that I was off-line, and I confirmed that with the Weather Underground station around the corner. Still raining, just not as heavily. This really saves me from having to add water to the pool for quite a few days, maybe two weeks since it has topped out. I just have to add chemicals to retain the healthy balance. Our rain here tends to be alkaline so I have to add acid as well as chlorine. Granddogs are sad because they cannot go out.

Thanks for breakfast Garry. Sorry Flo, just a tall OJ here.

Thanks also for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress (little as it was); Joe, Karl, Patrick, Christian, Chad, Garry, Sherrel, Tom O, Gary, Troy, Hughie, Guy, Justin, Rick, Tom, Ken.

Well, I didn't get a whole lot accomplished in the train shed yesterday, in addition to grocery shopping and mowing; I did laundry and washed dishes.
I painted and added some debris to the storage area between the main and the spur to the cannery.
IMG_6766.JPG

Sorry for the blurry picture, I'll get a better one after I add some more junk.
Meanwhile you may have seen this in a few pictures recently.
IMG_6767.JPG

A pair of "Whistle" signs that have just boon languishing on the right of way until I got the preceding ROW landscaped.
IMG_6771.JPG

They'll go in next. Here's the grade crossing that they apply to.
IMG_6772.JPG

Here's a pair from the other direction.
IMG_6773.JPG

I believe that they are on the wrong sides of the track for approaching trains, but there isn't enough room on the right between the passing siding and the grain elevator siding (out of picture to the right) to comfortably put one. Anyone out there who knows what the real world rule is?

Sherrel - Good luck with the garbage disposer. They are not all that hard to replace, but it is difficult to work on them; rolling around on the floor and squeezing into the cabinet. Of course once you get in under the sink to start, you realize that the most important tool is out in the garage or shed!
WILLIE - What's that tank car doing in the dirt? A derailment perhaps?
It's just there while I work on the spur track. No problem because it carries corn oil for the cannery and it's already empty.
Tom O - I lkie your business philosophy of selling to people who have come up in the ranks. It is too bad that you couldn't get your daughter and SIL interested in carrying on the business.
Wednesday was not a good day for you. Glad that no one was hurt in the accident. Best of luck with the AC. I guess that it hasn't been a good week either, starting with the news from your daughter and SIL, and the defective foam.
Joe - I regularly look up the history of some of the locos that you post. My knowledge of eastern and northeastern RR's is very limited.
Guy - I have been reading about the fires in BC, very sad. Great looking rescue dog. She's very lucky that you came along.

Everybody have a great day and an excellent Independence Day holiday. Be safe with fireworks. No problem with grassfires here after today's rain.

Ok, It has begun.....At work for the next couple of hours and then monitoring until the job is completed sometime over the weekend. Good news is I get paid for monitoring from home. Bad news is I gotta work on a holiday weekend, Good news is I wasn't doing anything anyway, bad news is I wasn't doing anything anyway...

I failed to welcome Raboliot to here. Always nice to have a different view.

I regularly look up the history of some of the locos that you post. My knowledge of eastern and northeastern RR's is very limited.
Willie: That's actually a good idea. Because I worked on the electrified portion of the PRR/PC, it wasn't until Conrail, that I encountered many of the larger "Road" diesels, common elsewhere. Conrail, also allowed me to explore other lines, such as the LV, RDG and CNJ. it's also why I like to employ Baldwin power on my layout...they and ALCo RS-3s were all we had dieselwise.

Last two days have been wet, with a considerable cool down, compared to Wednesday's 99°. Yesterday's high was 86°, at midnight, and today only 76°.
Our temperatures will be "below" average until perhaps next Tuesday. There is more rain in the forecast, through Saturday, although right now it's sunny.

Chet: that RDC of yours looks right at home on the club layout.

Garry: Those baked goods look scrumptious. Wish we had something close by, need to go to Staten Island or Brooklyn to find the good stuff.

Guy: That's a fine looking dog you have there.

Raboliot: Welcome to the group.

Speaking of Canada Day, according to Sportsnet's Luke Fox, there are many pissed off Hab fans in Quebec...apparently the Health Minister will not allow more than 3500 Vaccinated ticket holders into the Molson Centre, for tonights Stanley Cup Game, using the lame excuse that if he grants the exception, others will also want exceptions. No matter that 30k fans will gather shoulder to shoulder to watch the game on large video screens, outside the arena. Guess the alcohol will prevent the potential spread outdoors... This bureaucrat, must not be a native Canadian, as this is the first Stanley Cup Final series game to be played in Canada, since 1993, (Or it could be that he's a Toronto fan). Habs are down 2 games to 0 and need a spark to stay alive, vs. the Tampa Bay Bolts. Go Habs Go!

BP20 5778 Jersey City 1961.jpg

BP20 #5778 departing Jersey City in 1961 with the Westbound "Broker" headed for the Jersey Shore.

Good evening Shop Dwellers, it is currently 66*F and clear with a 6mph NW breeze (that means there should be cooler air coming in, right...[?])

Been too busy with that thing called Life to do anything in here other than to lurk and "like"; but I do appreciate the likes you all left on my Tuesday [or was it Monday?] post.

Raboliot - welcome to the Shop!

Guy - that's a mighty fine-looking canine companion you've got there!

. . .
I will change my moniker from "Steve" to SteveJ" to avoid confusion. Thanks to all for your responses re soldering. Most helpful group!!
. . .
Well off for a breakfast and then to the links. Cheers and God's blessings to all -----------SteveJ

Steve - I had to do something similar when I first joined a local modular club in 2009, I put an "L" after my name in club emails because there already was another member named "Ken". In fact, sometimes Karl (who was also a club member back then) still occasionally addresses me by that handle in here.

Patrick - look at the bright side, at least now you have an excuse for not doing any rebuilding work on your kids' houses over the weekend!

Murphy decided to pay me a visit today after I mowed the last bit of grass on my 2-acre lawn: The blades made a horrible racket when I disengaged them. I jacked the mower up as high as I could get it to see what the problem was, and to my horror I saw that the outermost blade had been hitting the inside of the cutting deck; its spindle, instead of being stiff, was loose and wobbly! That damage must have occurred the last time the deck collided with a tree root or stump hidden by the grass. This is not something I want to even attempt to fix myself - the one [and only] time that I replaced a spindle, it required complete removal of the cutting deck with assistance from my 21yr-old son (who is currently out of state and unavailable to assist). I'll have to let my mower mechanic deal with it, hopefully the repair bill won't exceed a few hundred...😠 Oh well, at least the breakdown didn't happen until after the mowing job was done...

I've decluttered the layout surfaces to the point now where none of the tracks are obstructed, so starting on Saturday I'll run the CMX car over every foot of mainline track, and shove it manually over the industry spurs. This does not include my auto plant trackwork, which is pseudo-embedded in gray foam rubber sheets that resemble aged asphalt. I actually cut the rubber sheets into shapes that surround the rails and fastened them down with double-sided tape. I was concerned that the CMS car and the cleaning fluid might harm the rubber, so I cleaned it the only safe way that I know:

CleaningRubberEmbeddedTrack.jpg

...yes, it was tedious, but I got the entire Ford plant trackage cleaned in ~2 hours and I consider it time well spent.

I have to admit I'm a tad apprehensive about what problems I'll find when I attempt to run trains again for the first time since before the pandemic. Not just from expansion/contraction of the benchwork over the 20-month period, but I also may have damaged some feeder wires when I was under the layout during the installation of the fascia curtains. There were a couple of times I leaned backwards and "found" them with the back of my head! I didn't actually see any broken wires during these mishaps, but I won't know for sure until I attempt to run trains over the tracks they are connected to.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
And so another week ends without me becoming unexpectedly rich.

Good Evening all! Well the new A/C is in and none to soon. My wallet did a lot of screaming, but at least it was cool while doing it.

Thanks for the likes for the turntable pic. I still need to finish (finish being a relative state on model railroads) the are around the furniture factory. I was actually getting ready to "plant" the Majestic Hardware structure when the A/C went out. Some rainy days are predicted so maybe I can back to it.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning....A comfy 62 degrees to start.Coffee Flo I'll drink it on the outside patio table (bet you didn't know they had one). Well the local town fathers in the next town over from me decided not to do fireworks this year when everyone else is doing them so let's see who many people will have parties and blow their fingers off. They're already reporting on the news that hospitals are expecting an increase in cases.
In other news I was informed by the wife that her nephew couldn't find a place to hold their wedding reception so she offered our place because we have a big backyard and apparently I don't have enough to do already. More to come on this soap opera, especially when her 5 other sisters want to stick there 2 cents in.

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. 65f degrees which seems rather chilly this morning. The breeze is only 4mph. The high today is 88. The lawn around the house is cut. We have a dying Colorado Blue Spruce in the yard that needs to be removed and replaced. We have a 5 year guarantee on the trees and bushes, time to call the landscapers. It will only be 2 years in October.

I haven’t been mentioning the exercise program but I am still doing it. Wednesday is still the official off day. But a 2 mile walk either on the treadmill or through the trails in the woods on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Swimming laps on Monday, Friday and Sunday. I do frolic in the pool though daily as I really love the water. Terry though will not allow me to bring out the old scuba gear. I am down to 191#’s but still have the stomach. The fish aka grandkids do join me a few days a week in the pool depending on weather and maybe now their mom’s mood.

The A/C is running correctly again.

The south deck is 100% complete.

Terry went to pick out the new car yesterday and of course she changed models again, but it is still a 2 seater.

I have no plans for today other then checking into the trainroom. Once I figure the actual placement of the rails I will sand the roadbed only area. The daughter, barely speaking to me, has a very good palm sander with a vacuum feature. Before they headed yesterday to the SIL mom’s place up in Door County (touristy Wisconsin) they dropped it off.

SteveL, formerly known as Steve. I understand the switch. Many moons ago I ran a insulated glass production facility. There were 3 Tom’s there, so the boss decided TomO worked for him for me. I only use it on the forums and in the FB buy/sell train groups

Willie, I picked that philosophy up from my dad and my first boss out of college. Over the years it has worked well for Terry and me.

keN, that’s lots of work but if you are satisfied that’s great. Train time should be interesting. Is the skirting finished?

I will be on the deck till about 10 this morning unless Terry changes the tune and says we have to do something.

Enjoy the day
TomO
821F876F-A2CF-47D2-A3F0-68632212CEDA.jpeg

Good Morning....A comfy 62 degrees to start.Coffee Flo I'll drink it on the outside patio table (bet you didn't know they had one). Well the local town fathers in the next town over from me decided not to do fireworks this year when everyone else is doing them so let's see who many people will have parties and blow their fingers off. They're already reporting on the news that hospitals are expecting an increase in cases.
In other news I was informed by the wife that her nephew couldn't find a place to hold their wedding reception so she offered our place because we have a big backyard and apparently I don't have enough to do already. More to come on this soap opera, especially when her 5 other sisters want to stick there 2 cents in.

Oh are you going to have fun! One of my assistants wanted an outdoor backyard wedding. His morning briefings were hilarious only because I wasn’t part of it. Let’s just say keep a jug of whatever hard liquor you drink ready. And an open mind.

TomO

81AEC322-C196-4712-9860-DE3706540BA7.jpeg

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 74°, possibly rain sometime today. An additional 1" of rain fell yesterday before noon, giving us a morning total of 2.75" in just over three hours. And it all soaked in!!! No runoff at all. Pool is about 0.25" below absolute full...the rain came just in time for topping it off. So far today the major rain is hanging out in the Permian Basin area around Midland and Odessa. There's some widely scattered light rain also east and northeast of me.
Today I need to tidy up the house before I pick up my wife and return the granddogs tomorrow afternoon. I ran the automated vacuum cleaner, nicknamed Hazel, for two hours yesterday, picking up several pounds of dog hair.

Just a handful of bacon and a short stack of buckwheat pancakes today Flo.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments and likes on my latest progress; Tom O, Chad, Patrick, Justin, Joe, Guy, Rick, Garry, Ken, Hughie, Christian, Tom.

Train shed activity was limited mostly to running trains yesterday. I just didn't feel like landscaping, but I did put together some road signs and a barrier guardrail for the recently installed road.
IMG_6776.JPG

I won't install these until I paint the backdrop in this area. A task that I have procrastinated on for two weeks now.
I did also locate the porch that I had never installed on the Plasticville Cap Cod House. I never installed it because I was waiting on the final layout of the house/lot to determine which side to put it on.
IMG_6774.JPG

As you can see, it's going on the back of the house instead of the side facing the tracks. Next step is to paint the posts/railings and the flagstone base before actually attaching it.

Guy -
I just can't figure how people from the south can work with the high temperatures.
It.s just what one gets used to. I prefer "70F with pillow cloud is a very good day" myself; but we only get it 3-4 months a year. I dislike dealing with snow and below freezing temperatures. This past February was an extreme anomaly, but in Alberta, you have to deal with it for a couple of months a year.
Mike -
If its too cold I can put more clothes on. But one can only take so much off until you get in trouble.
When are you at the point of adding so many clothes that you can't move due to the stiffness and weight? I usually start with shorts and tee shirt around March 1, and go through until the end of November.
Ken - Congratulations on reaching the milestone of train running again. That's about the same amount of time that I was down when I built the new train shed. Between dismantling the old layout and finally getting in the first 24' of track built in the new shed..

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe around fireworks.

Patrick - look at the bright side, at least now you have an excuse for not doing any rebuilding work on your kids' houses over the weekend!

True enough! LOL

Morning all,

Servers completed their moves overnight, so now I'm in the office getting them back up. These server moves are nothing more than moving files from one computer to another. So I should be done before noon and have the rest of the 3-day weekend. That would be nice.

Cool this morning with an expected high in the mid-80's.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore, where it is 63° cloudy and damp, with a touch of fog. Showers are likely. Not exactly what the Chamber of Commerce had in mind for the Long Independence Day weekend...

It's almost lights out for Montreal in the Stanley Cup finals. After last night, I'm convinced Tampa bay will sweep the series, Monday Night. Then, I can follow Baseball until October.

Enjoy the day.

Good Morning!
That horrific heatwave that's been cooking us live for the past couple of weeks is finally history. It's comfortable this morning at 57F and the temps are not expected to rise above 75. That's a more livable summer day for us northerners. I'm happy again.

Just dropping in for a quick coffee, and then I have to finish extending the fence to keep the new dog out of the garden. Wife's orders.

Patrick - It's not so much that the rescue dog was hit and abused, so much as it is a case of neglect. The dog was owned by young people who didn't have proper facility to house the dog, nor time for it with a new baby. They were going to have the dog put-down if they couldn't find a new owner. The young ladies mother happens to be our friend, who told us about the dog. I picked up Sky as soon as I could. Now, Sky is one happy pup.
It's going to cost me $280.00 to get her spayed and another $110.00 to get her shots. I consider that money well spent.

Thank you everyone, for all the comments and likes concerning the new dog.

I'm going to put a few photos on the table, and then I have to get to it.

The is the view I see when I'm walking into the local CN staging yard to take some photos:
WtCrtCN_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

There is always rolling stock sitting in that yard waiting to go to work. This area handles box, tank, hopper, and center-beam flats, as well as some gondola and pure flat cars. - I feel fortunate that I'm not on a container line, as I'm not an enthusiast of container trains.

Here's a couple of photos of the same open-hopper, taken from either side. It's used to carry gravel out of the area.
RROX 1145_06-23-2021 (1).jpg

RROX 1145_06-23-2021.jpg

That type of car also comes in rusty yellow:
RROX 1045_06-23-2021.jpg

And I'm going to drop down a photo of a butterfly, just because I can. I like the photo:
Butterfly_06-29-2021.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back