Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was making the rounds on FB today. Y'all have probably seen it already...

trains.jpg

I read a bit of history on the 1087, apparently after this incident it went on to serve Conrail at least into 1988.
Willie: Thanks, i did not trace the ancestry of the locomotive. I was just impressed by the floating derrick. I used to watch dredges working to clean up silt adjacent to piers on the Delaware River, from my front porch, and always wondered why they didn't capsize...

Happy Canada Day!

Weather outside is stormy, within the last hour, we had a ½" of rain and the temperature dropped from 86° to 73°. It's going to be cool, damp and stormy through July 4, before the sunny days return, and the temperatures warm....I made progress on the structure, but I'm not finished the project.

# 723 at Bayhead 8-3-57.jpg

Welcome Raboliot!

On another warming run here in Minnesota. 88F today and 90s all weekend. Playing golf tomorrow, but too warm for the kilt, so boring old short breeches for the kid. The wife's company is taking all the leadership from all the centers for a 'cruise' on Lake Minnetonka this afternoon. Then I think she will go out with her leaders afterwards for another toddy or two. Which should mean lots of train time for this ol' boy ----- except I have an evening meeting from 6:30 - 7:30. I'll try to get home early afternoon and get some work done. I really want to power up the RH tracks.

QUestion: SHould I solder the rail joiners connecting the rails in the stalls of the Roundhouse to the tracks connecting to the turntable or leave them as is?

Many thanks! -------------------Steve
I didn't solder to the turntable, however I did run leads to each track to the table. One exception, the Program track. The track lower left is the Program track.
1625163442840.png

Good Afternoon.
The weather gods hate us Canadians! They've tried to freeze us out, and when that didn't work, they are now trying to cook us into oblivion. 90F as I write this and it's going up to 95F by 5:00pm. Everywhere I go the towns folk are complaining; nobody seems to like the hot weather. I'm hearing towns are burning down in B.C., and sadly, people are dying. All attributed to the heatwave.
Even the birds hold their beaks open like a dog panting, in an effort to keep cool:
Sparrow_06-29-2021.jpg

Speaking of panting dogs, here's the new member of the family, 10 months old. Her name is 'Sky', and she bonded to me after only one day:
Sky_06-30-2021 (1).jpg

Sky_06-30-2021 (2).jpg

Sky is a rescue dog; she's kinda had a tough life so far. I mean to change that for her.

Anyway, I just came into the new shop to say hello. It will have to wait until the heatwave passes before I start posting more rail photos.

Have a good one!

Good afternoon global modelers.

It is still a beautiful but now humid day in my part of Wisconsin.

Not a good day around the house. The A/C unit that was an issue a couple weeks ago is an issue again. The HVAC contractor will be here he says before 6. It is 5:27 and I am still waiting. The other issue is Terry’s car had a recall. The dealer picked it up around 9 this morning. They then called to tell her around noon the mechanic test driving it had an accident with it. She was told to come in the morning to pick out a new car! The mechanic is fine, someone else ran a light.

This is my third layout using 2” foam. Turns out this batch is terribly uneven. Not sure what I might do.

Enjoy your evening
TomO

Tom, good no one got hurt while your mechanic was buying your wife a new car.

When she was on the phone I heard, “is he alright?” I am thinking our son, not Terry’s personal shopper. Agency says he is fine, it wasn’t his fault.

A less then 2 year old A/C unit has to be replaced. They will check the warranties tomorrow. Meanwhile the guest room down stairs will get slept in as it is cooler.

Tom
BF43DD95-B4C6-4D29-8940-99C2B998876A.jpeg

WOW, TomO -- I had never thought about getting a new car that way -- of Course, I have never owned a car that the dealership would consider picking up for a service notice to begin with!
I am at a loss on your foam mishap? Cuts and fills maybe?

WILLIE - What's that tank car doing in the dirt? A derailment perhaps?

Howdy ....

Absolutely true ! I live in France but have spent a lot of days in North America (mainly in Canada). I have a few cousins who live in Northern Ontario (the North Pole as they say).

Raboliot .... Good to hear that. International participation is welcome, and the French are wonderful .

Willie ..... I like your layout photos.

Joe (Boris) .... Pennsy passenger sharks look great.

High .... I like your roundhouse scene.

Guy .... Beautiful dog. Rescued pets are the best.

WOW, TomO -- I had never thought about getting a new car that way -- of Course, I have never owned a car that the dealership would consider picking up for a service notice to begin with!
I am at a loss on your foam mishap? Cuts and fills maybe?

Sherrel,

Instead of wood for the top of my frame work I use foam.

Parts of the foam are compressed, not equal across the length and width. I lay cork roadbed on top of the foam and in some spots I can see daylight underneath. It is really only an issue where the roadbed is but I need to get it smooth. I could use a sander for the path where the track roadbed will be or I can use Woodland Scenics smooth it. The Smooth It product maybe more work then it is worth.

TomO

Good bright morning global modelers. It is 60f degrees outside but it looks great. Heading today into the high 80’s.

I looked up our A/C unit online last night. Seems the issue we are having is a commonly known one but the major complaint is they claim its not a warranty item. We shall see.

Sherrel, even though my dad was a car salesmen I never caught the car gene from him. Both my sister and brother love the cars and the games played when purchasing. In February when I purchased my car it took longer for the dealership paperwork then me picking it out, test driving and writing the check. When Terry buys a car, I don’t go along. 1st off I would never pay the prices nor look at the cars she has driven the last 25 years or so. A process I dislike intensely.

Willie, so many nice scenes on your layout.

Steve, as I wrote I solder all rail joints. I also cut a gap and fill it with a super glue starch mix to prevent closure. There are gaps every 9’ and each of those sections get a feeder wire.

raboliot, France is a very beautiful country. I have been to a few areas. Again, welcome aboard

Mike, too cool for me at 60f degrees to be on either the south or north decks, enjoy your coffee.

Today and Monday will be the busiest travel days in the USA since prior to the start of the pandemic. If you are out on the roads be extra safe.

TomO

Goooooooooood Morning, world.

Slept through the night - first time in over two weeks! What a difference! Off to the golf course where I expect to shoot about 85. At least I feel like I'm going to shoot 85, and in today's world, I can identify as an 85-shooter, right?

Not to worry, reality will set in - the golf course is a rather unforgiving soul who truly does not care how or what I 'feel!'

Yesterday was hot and humid, but when I came home after my meeting, the evening was turning strangely drier and milder. So the missus and I sat on the deck for a late evening whisky (Edradour for her, Glen Scotia for me). Was remarkably pleasant. This morning was almost a hint of chill in the air. Much more Minnesota-ish. But heading to 88 and then 90s all weekend.

I will change my moniker from "Steve" to SteveJ" to avoid confusion. Thanks to all for your responses re soldering. Most helpful group!!

Came home mid afternoon and got started with wiring. Sent wires from the Zephyr to terminal strips, mounted the terminal strips, and then drilled holes and ran the feeders to the RH service tracks. I am far from adept at soldering yet, so the mini-files got lots of use, but I think it will be passable. SOldering is fun! I think I love the smell of tin and lead in the morning (or afternoon).

I used some paste rosin flux - - - - - - - wasn't super thrilled. I had to get out a mini-brush for application. I have seen liquid flux - does anyone use that and could offer an opinion? Would that be better for the type of work we do?

Well off for a breakfast and then to the links. Cheers and God's blessings to all -----------SteveJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back