Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis: You didn't mention the dissension in the dugout on Wednesday night, between Brandan Hyde and Chris Davis...very not good! Trumbo is back? that is certainly desperation or a desire between Trumbo and Davis to permantly own the most strike outs by hitter record, eh? My mercy, hon, things ain't good.

Boris

I did not mention it because it's no big deal, It's Baseball, that's all. Earl Weaver was one to turn up the heat and let things boil over from time to time before stirring the pot. It's not just baseball, it's sports in general. You get that many Alpha-males together and there is bound to be some conflict.

The hope is Trumbo will return in September, God knows we could sure use his bat. The problem is, what do we do with another weak defender?

Speaking of good hitters, poor defenders, did you see what happened to DJ Stewart? In Tuesday nights game he dove/flopped on the ground for a ball he should have gotten to on his feet. He missed the ball, to add injury to insult the ball hit him in the head. He is on the 7-day IL with a concussion.

Great defense can look effortless. Bad defense can look like an old Saturday Night Live skit with Chevy Chase.

Speaking of Saturday Night Live, I still like to say "Beisbol been bery bery good to me"

Willie, if you are interested in knowing more about the Amazing Mets I found this for you. I still say it was luck!
http://www.thisgreatgame.com/1969-baseball-history.html
1565334284169.png

Good morning everyone. 70 and partly cloudy. Possibly some light rain this morning, then clearing.

Garry, Dave, Flip, Ken, Chet, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - Thanks for the comments and likes on my photos.
Garry - Didn't know much about the Gramps tank car, but thought it would be a nice addition to the consists.
Toot - Yeah, maybe a combined sign. Problem is the location - not much room for a sign. I may work on it.
Chadbag - More nice photos of Japan. Keep 'em coming.
Willie - Nice photo of that revived structure you're adding.

Ran trains for quite a while last night and did some scenicking around the tunnel (only have one tunnel on my layout). Here's a photo for today: two of my trains passing each other as they make their way through Pine Valley. Reminds me, I've got to improve the backdrop: perhaps cut out a length of sky and glue it to the village backdrop, so at least the skies match. The photo shows I like color in my freight cars, huh? That is the shopping district of the town - - the firehouse and several industries (such as the Farm Supply I just added) are just out of view to the right. The train station and a few other businesses are at the far end.

TwoTrainsThroughTownAug2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 78° and clear here this morning. Despite the best wishes of the weather geeks, it didn't make it to triple digits yesterday either, only 96°. They're looking for another chance as it's the forecast high for the next five days. Looking forward to today and tomorrow, as I don't have to be anywhere either day! Some uninterrupted time at home doing whatever I want. Wife is requiring less and less assistance as her recovery proceeds. Yesterdays therapy session at 5:30 was quite inconvenient, so I went to a local watering hole for a quick beer while waiting. Next week's sessions are all in the mid day time frame.
How about a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. Big ole glass of OJ to wash it down please.
Thanks for the likes and comments for yesterday's post; Chad, Louis, Garry, Jerome, Patrick, Justin, Phil, Ken, Dave, Johnny.

Only got to spend about 30 minutes in the train shed yesterday, I'll hopefully make up for it today. Just did some detail painting for various structures. Didn't take any pictures yet as I ran out of time.

Johnny - If you make a pick-up/delivery sign on the computer, it can be sized to fit your space. Sometimes just a sign, even if the print is extremely small, can add to the detailing.
Chad - I continue to enjoy your tales of train riding in Japan. I wouldn't be able to remember all of those complicated names. Or are you just making them up? LOL:p
Beady - Fluffy is our only cat right now. He doesn't particularly like his name and responds better to "kitty".
Louis -
I had a lot of fun as a young man sampling coal at this place.
I try to confine my sampling to more edible stuff or stuff less harsh on the lungs!
Sherrel - Your box of cats reminds me of an adventure I had after moving into a rent house in the country in 1976. Unbeknownst to us ahead of time, there were six mama cats and 34 kittens all just weaned living on the property. I managed to gather up all 34 youngsters, the mature ones wouldn't let me near, and I carried them to Denton TX. The University of North Texas was having enrollment at the time and I set up a lawn chair at the exit and gave away all 34 in less than two hours, mostly to young women. While I got some jeers from folks who espoused neutering, they obviously didn't see the sign on the side of the box indicating "rescued kittens".
Joe & Louis - Thanks for the explanation.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. Already 81* and humid. Will be back to 91 with higher humidity . Had t/s all around but none here, in fact no rain nearby. Distant rumbles all afternoon. while the rain fell s.e. of us.
Chores await but don't feel I have the the strength to do them. Maybe later.
Phil

Willie, ;)

By the way, I sampled one of those edible candies, it really does work! My problem is when I take the edge off of the pain I always do to much and make the pain even worse.

Seriously, I should have worn the masks they supplied. The good hard rock coal made lots of dust! I did wear the mask when I was working in the Automatic Sampler we had at the Consolidated Coal piers in southeast Baltimore. My God that was boring! Sit in a cloud of coal dust waiting for the sample collector to fill. Empty the collector and repeat.
The cheap coal, like the Japanese bought was like mud, it always jamed the automatic sampler. When that happened it stopped the conveyor and we had to quickly go out and sample the coal as it went down the conveyor to the ship. Stand still, take one shovel full of coal every 3 minutes (if I remember correctly) and place it in the bag. This went on for an entire 12 hour shift or until the ship was full.

Curtis Bay was much more fun. Jump from 100 ton car to car, dig 3 holes in each car and take a shovel full of coal from the bottom of each hole and place in the bag. Seems boring, but compared to the alternatives I was glad to do it!

Good morning Everybody!

I just got back from the doctor's office, just a check up. All seems ok, but some tests have to be sent out to another lab. I'll know more in a few days.

Soon as I got home I put a Johnsonville brat in the microwave, now that is a good breakfast!

I had one of those nights when my pain talks to loudly to sleep, it's ok, at least I know I am alive! :) I'll check on the pool, take a few laps and than park on the couch, life is good, thank God.

Have a great day Everybody

Chad - I continue to enjoy your tales of train riding in Japan. I wouldn't be able to remember all of those complicated names. Or are you just making them up? LOL:p

LOL I am not smart enough to make up names. Things like "Hayabusa" and "Super Hokuto" as the train/service names. There may be a Hayabusa Shinkansen service very 15 minutes or whatever and it indicates a certain service (level). Not all trains are named of course.

Things like KiHa 150 are the train type names. Train names use katakana to denote the wagon/car type. KiHa would be キハ I am not sure what they all mean but the first syllable (Ki in this case) is the type (diesel) and the second and other follow on syllables represent the class / speed rating / other characteristics. Ha in this case means "standard class" (vs "first class"). KoKi コキ are flat cars that can carrier containers (other sorts of flat cars have other designations). Ki , the second syllable, is the speed rating IIRC. Cars that can go more than XX kmh IIRC. Depending on whether a car is a passenger wagon, freight, etc. the syllables have different meanings in terms of what aspect they represent. As far as I understand it. I am no expert.

We made it back to my sister-in-law's house this evening. We took an N700A Shinkansen on "Hikari" service (Hikari 479 in this case) from Shin-Yokohama station to Shin-Kobe station, and then a Kobe subway home.

IMG_2086.jpgIMG_2092.jpg

While in Yokohama for a few hours, after the trip from Sendai to Tokyo (and then a quick 18 min trip from Tokyo to Yokohama on a Shinkansen in unreserved seats), we went to the "Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum", which has a small exhibit on the history and types of ramen, and then they have a recreated 19502/60s ramen street / old shopping street and they have several ramen shops you can buy ramen from that represent different areas ramen specialities. We went to one that had tonkotsu ramen from Hakata (Fukuoka). I had the pork and wonton ramen. This variety uses really thin noodles and a thick, heavy soup. It was quite good. Real ramen (not the instant crap) is a great treat. We went to 3 ramen places on this trip so far -- in Kyoto, Sapporo, and at the ramen museum eating Hakata style (as far as I understand it).

IMG_2076.jpg

Morning all,

Quiet day in Doo-Dah. No trains last night as I was playing catch up on other things around the house. I have a couple of on-line auctions I'm watching currently, so we'll see if I bid or win.

CHAD: the ramen looks wonderful. I hope it was as good as it looks.

Good morning all, 62 and sunny. It will be a little cooler, low 80's, for a few days.

Heading up to the land this afternoon for a couple nights, get out of the CITY! yipeeeee

Johnny-- nice layout view, nice to see the large section at once.

Louis-- kind of vain to call themselves amazing. At least to a midwesterner. Or, puts some pressure on, hate to call myself amazing then not be the best continually.

Beady and Sherrel, thanks for posting the cat pics.

Have a good day, all

Dave

Good morning. 58 degrees to start off the day with a high in the low 80's with thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Chad -
I am really enjoying your photos. Keep them coming. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Louis - I really like the photos. A lot of RR history there.

Justin -
Your photos are excellent as usual. Also a lot of RR history.

Garry - That business car sure looks sharp. I have the same one for the Northern Pacific,but unfortunately, the paint color is way off.

Johnny - The main street photo is impressive. Nicely done.

Willie - Saw the weather forecast for your area. Don't melt.

I haven't seen my train room for ages, but did get over to the club yesterday and got some running in. We had quite a few visitors. Here are a few photos.

This photo is the train leaving what we call the east subdivision which is located in the old coal bunker in the old depot. From here it goes through a concrete wall which is 2 feet thick. Took a lot of work to bore the hole through the wall.

thumbnail_20190808_131729.jpg

Here is where the train comes through the wall and joins the main line in the largest room of the layout. The dual main line are the tracks below the train.

thumbnail_20190808_135302.jpg

In the loop where the main line leaves the east subdivision yard are the meat packing plant and the lumber mill.

thumbnail_20190808_133136.jpg

thumbnail_20190808_133212.jpg

Here is the locomotive that we usually pull the passenger train from the Gardiner area. It had a loose wire and had been out of service for a while.

thumbnail_20190808_133442.jpg

Next is the turntable, fueling facility and car shop.

thumbnail_20190808_142542.jpg

Here a train has just come down the grade from the summit and is about to circle around the roundhouse. The track at the bottom of the photo is where the track from the Gardiner loop rejoins the main line.

thumbnail_20190808_140008.jpg

We had one of the guys running a challenger. Here I took the passing siding to let it go down grade to the east subdivision. It can get interesting running trains in the opposite direction on the same main line tracks. Meets can be interesting so you have to plan ahead to find the numerous passing sidings.

thumbnail_20190808_150944.jpg

Here the challenger is on the turntable getting ready to get into its stall in the roundhouse.

thumbnail_20190808_152435.jpg

Time to get outside and get more work done.

Later.

Good morning. 58 degrees to start off the day with a high in the low 80's with thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Chad - I am really enjoying your photos. Keep them coming. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Louis - I really like the photos. A lot of RR history there.

Justin - Your photos are excellent as usual. Also a lot of RR history.

Garry - That business car sure looks sharp. I have the same one for the Northern Pacific,but unfortunately, the paint color is way off.

Johnny - The main street photo is impressive. Nicely done.

Willie - Saw the weather forecast for your area. Don't melt.

I haven't seen my train room for ages, but did get over to the club yesterday and got some running in. We had quite a few visitors. Here are a few photos.

This photo is the train leaving what we call the east subdivision which is located in the old coal bunker in the old depot. From here it goes through a concrete wall which is 2 feet thick. Took a lot of work to bore the hole through the wall.

View attachment 38541

Here is where the train comes through the wall and joins the main line in the largest room of the layout. The dual main line are the tracks below the train.

View attachment 38542

In the loop where the main line leaves the east subdivision yard are the meat packing plant and the lumber mill.

View attachment 38543
View attachment 38544

Here is the locomotive that we usually pull the passenger train from the Gardiner area. It had a loose wire and had been out of service for a while.

View attachment 38545

Next is the turntable, fueling facility and car shop.

View attachment 38546

Here a train has just come down the grade from the summit and is about to circle around the roundhouse. The track at the bottom of the photo is where the track from the Gardiner loop rejoins the main line.

View attachment 38547

We had one of the guys running a challenger. Here I took the passing siding to let it go down grade to the east subdivision. It can get interesting running trains in the opposite direction on the same main line tracks. Meets can be interesting so you have to plan ahead to find the numerous passing sidings.

View attachment 38548

Here the challenger is on the turntable getting ready to get into its stall in the roundhouse.

View attachment 38549

Time to get outside and get more work done.

Later.
I hate you.

Bad defense can look like an old Saturday Night Live skit with Chevy Chase

Louis: Bad defense like the play you described is reminiscent of Casey Stengle's Amazin Mets.

kind of vain to call themselves amazing. At least to a midwesterner.

Dave: Not vanity,

. When the team was first established, they were so bad that the (then numerous), Tabloids created synonyms for their collective ineptness Amazin took hold when they actually not only won the pennant, but also defeated a far superior Baltimore orioles team for the World Championship.

Amtrak names team to redevelop Baltimore's Penn Station, surrounding Amtrak properties

I predict they will screw this up in a big way....

Boris

Louis: Bad defense like the play you described is reminiscent of Casey Stengle's Amazin Mets.

Dave: Not vanity,

. When the team was first established, they were so bad that the (then numerous), Tabloids created synonyms for their collective ineptness Amazin took hold when they actually not only won the pennant, but also defeated a far superior Baltimore orioles team for the World Championship.

I predict they will screw this up in a big way....

Boris
It’s a government-owned corporation. What could possibly go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back