Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to coffee, the only thing better than smell of it brewing early in the morning is the first taste of the day.
1564644362323.png

Spent a bit of evening time over the last two nights, reinforcing the Caterpillar loads onto the decks of their flat cars. CA glue was not holding them sufficiently, so I managed to find some 6mm x 2mm (.25" x .08") pan head self tapping screws and by drilling small holes up through the decks and smaller ones up into the rubber tires/tracks of the loads, secure them more efficiently. Now, all I've got to hope for is that the glue between the car frames and the decks holds.

Good Morning All. 75° and clear to start the day. Can't stay long this morning, time to take my walk, shower up and be at the dentist's office by 8:00. Follow that with the weekly grocery/beer trek.
Wife continues to make slow progress, but it is taking a lot of my time and devotion, willingly though.

Out in the train shed, I did a small project involving the addition of a Miller Engineering animated sign to a previously built structure. I am not happy with part of it and I will have to go back and adjust it. Pictures later.
Johnny - Got those pictures for your storage thread but I don't have time to post them yet.

Everybody have a great day, gotta go now.

I made the mistake of turning on last nights debate. First thing I hear "you are drinking the cool-aid, but you don' t know the flavor" WTF does that mean?! At least now I have eliminated another of the many candidates.

Time to change the channel back to the MLB network.

I've had enough of clever one-liners and cheap shots, how about discussing the issues?

That reminds me, I heard a report on NPR several weeks ago. The report said that Americans are turning away from broadcast news. The reporter suggested it was caused by how the news is presented. I disagree, I think it's the nonsense the politicians are spewing!

Good morning Everybody!

Another great day on tap, time to get to doing something productive. Even if that is only minor tasks on my todo list.

Have a great day Everybody!

God Bless You All!

Good evening (Japan Time -- Thursday Aug 1 at 20:50 and its about 87F per my phone in Kobe).

Thank for the Cog Railway on Mt Washington pics. I could kill myself for never doing that. When I was 10 we moved to Mass (on the border of NH, just south of Nashua) and later as an adult I lived there again and worked in Nashua, and yet later I moved to NH and lived in Merrimack. I never took the time to do the Cog Railway trip up Mt Washington.

Yesterday we went to a beach in the Kobe area where I swam a bit and got a sunburned neck, because, while I wore a hat with the hanging back flap that protects the neck from the sun, I did not think about the hat coming off when I was actually frolicking about in the sun.

Afterwards, my kids wanted me to go with them to Umeda (main Osaka station) where there is a big department store (mainly electronics, toys, hobbies, appliances) called Yodobashi Camera. Very cheap, and you can do tax free as a tourist, and they will give 5% off to those tourists doing tax free if they use a Visa for payment. I swore I would not spend a lot of money on train stuff this trip, and so far so good, but I did get a few packs of containers for my KoKis (KoKi is the Japanese designation for a container flat car). (And some Studio Ghibli themed playing cards).

IMG_1339.jpg

To get there we rode the Kobe Subway again -- this time on a different looking green train, and then another Hankyu express to Umeda.

IMG_1328.jpgIMG_1331.jpg

On the way back home (to home base at my sister-in-law's) we rode the JR line back to Sannomiya (Kobe) and the Kobe Subway, this time in yet another different different train, a brown one. (The Hokyushinkyuko Railway train)

The JR was a series 223 as a Special Rapid service.

IMG_1333.jpgIMG_1336.jpgIMG_1337.jpg

Today we rode various trains to Kyoto and rode the Eizan Electric Railway out into the country side but I am having some issues syncing the pics from my phone to the computer so I will post those another time. Some interesting ones...

Good morning all. Starting out at 74* with a high of 93* later. Rain and t/s later also.

WILLIE - and other BEER drinkers. Are you aware the 100 ton RBL insulated boxcar can hold more than 28,000 six-packs or enough for 3 six packs a day for 26 years.
Wish all a pleasant day Prayers for all of us,
Phil

I made the mistake of turning on last nights debate. First thing I hear "you are drinking the cool-aid, but you don' t know the flavor" WTF does that mean?! At least now I have eliminated another of the many candidates.

Time to change the channel back to the MLB network.

I've had enough of clever one-liners and cheap shots, how about discussing the issues?

That reminds me, I heard a report on NPR several weeks ago. The report said that Americans are turning away from broadcast news. The reporter suggested it was caused by how the news is presented. I disagree, I think it's the nonsense the politicians are spewing!

Louis - I agree - In fact, I won't even watch any more of the Dem debates - saw a little bit of the first one, and had my fill then. This is nonsense. I agree about the news, too. Nothing but garbage from most politicians' mouths.

Good morning everyone. 72 and cloudy.

Willie - No rush - I'll wait for those pics of your storage system. I know there are a lot of them out there, but I just want to find out what works from people who have tried them.
Chadbag - Nice photos from your Japan trip. Keep them coming!

Ran trains for a while last night. Also made some progress on that DPM structure (Valley Farm Supply). Remade the sign and cemented it in place. Then forgot to take a photo of the progress. That's okay, 'cause I still have a couple of decals to put on and a sign or two ("Deliveries" and "Customer Pickup") to make. Will post a photo when it's on the layout.

In the meantime, here's another photo or two taken with my cell phone camera. This is the farming area south of Pine Valley town: closest area is an apple orchard, then two farms with houses and barns, then the lake (recreational area for the townfolks).

FarmsAndLakeJuly2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all, 68 and sunny.

Toot: Those self tapping screws are a sure fix when glue doesn't hold!

Willie: Hope your errands go well today

Johnny: Super farm scene!

Louis: 100% agreement on the debates!

Garry: more nice photos of the cog railway

chadbag: nice following your trip!

Flip: Hope all goes well with you today also

more later, Dave

Morning all,

Like the new digs. Coffee this morning for me...Thanks Flo.

Supposed to get cooler this weekend with our high (as of this morning) predicted to be about 80. It was that at 4:40 this morning, so a short cool down will be nice. Not much on the trains yet this week. maybe tonight.

Good morning all. Starting out at 74* with a high of 93* later. Rain and t/s later also.

WILLIE - and other BEER drinkers. Are you aware the 100 ton RBL insulated boxcar can hold more than 28,000 six-packs or enough for 3 six packs a day for 26 years.
Wish all a pleasant day Prayers for all of us,
Phil
Meh. I've discovered my own mixed drink, made of 1/4 spiced rum and 3/4 Mexican pineapple soda. A neighborhood grocery up the street carries the soda; I still find it hard to realize how racially diverse this neighborhood is, and I'm loving it.

Good evening (Japan Time -- Thursday Aug 1 at 20:50 and its about 87F per my phone in Kobe).

Thank for the Cog Railway on Mt Washington pics. I could kill myself for never doing that. When I was 10 we moved to Mass (on the border of NH, just south of Nashua) and later as an adult I lived there again and worked in Nashua, and yet later I moved to NH and lived in Merrimack. I never took the time to do the Cog Railway trip up Mt Washington.

Yesterday we went to a beach in the Kobe area where I swam a bit and got a sunburned neck, because, while I wore a hat with the hanging back flap that protects the neck from the sun, I did not think about the hat coming off when I was actually frolicking about in the sun.

Afterwards, my kids wanted me to go with them to Umeda (main Osaka station) where there is a big department store (mainly electronics, toys, hobbies, appliances) called Yodobashi Camera. Very cheap, and you can do tax free as a tourist, and they will give 5% off to those tourists doing tax free if they use a Visa for payment. I swore I would not spend a lot of money on train stuff this trip, and so far so good, but I did get a few packs of containers for my KoKis (KoKi is the Japanese designation for a container flat car). (And some Studio Ghibli themed playing cards).

View attachment 38352

To get there we rode the Kobe Subway again -- this time on a different looking green train, and then another Hankyu express to Umeda.

View attachment 38347View attachment 38350

On the way back home (to home base at my sister-in-law's) we rode the JR line back to Sannomiya (Kobe) and the Kobe Subway, this time in yet another different different train, a brown one. (The Hokyushinkyuko Railway train)

The JR was a series 223 as a Special Rapid service.

View attachment 38351View attachment 38345View attachment 38349

Today we rode various trains to Kyoto and rode the Eizan Electric Railway out into the country side but I am having some issues syncing the pics from my phone to the computer so I will post those another time. Some interesting ones...
Back in the 80s, my wife went on an employer-sponsored 30-day trip to Japan. Among the out-of-the-way places she discovered was the permanent "village" where they film all of the Samurai movies. She bought me a tourist-grade sword and a robe, and for weeks I wandered around the backyard wearing the robe and with the sword stuck into the sash. I've since acquired a better sword and robe at Disney's EPCOT, of all places.

I'd like to see a few changes to baseball;
1. Expand the rosters to 30 - Greedy billionaire owners don't want that! Capitalisim is the best/only system, but without conscience it is always the same, greed rules!
2. Get rid of the DH - Let the guys who can't play the field be pinch hitters, see expanded rosters.
3. Electronic Strike Zones. - In addition lets use the rule book, pitches at the letters are strikes! Let's see those homerun hitters hit a high fastball with their new "launch angle" swings.
4. A Pitch Clock, - "Batter up, ready or not here it comes" If the pitcher is not ready, it should be an automatic ball, if the batter is not ready, it should be an automatic strike. Play ball for God sake!
Next season, the rosters expand to 26 players & then only 28(instead of 40) after Sept. 1st.
Speaking of pitch clocks, a semi-pro tournament in my parents’ home town in South Jersey has been using “speed-up rules” for 50 years. In addition to the clock, there are rules about only one infield throw after a strikeout before the ball has to come back to the pitcher. Arguments can only last 0:15. After that, an automatic ball/strike. Their DH rule can be used for the pitcher or catcher(but not both in one inning). The advantage to using it for the catcher is that if his spot in the lineup comes up with 2 outs, you can hit for him so that he can get his gear on, as there’s only :45 to switch sides between innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back