Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it has something to do with age. Coming into CA from NV - I had to take the written and my license was good for 5 years.
I am curious as well, but I "think" that it has to do with being 75 or over when your expiration comes due.
Age very well could be. I’m just now coming up on that half-century mark this fall, & I stopped driving 4 years ago.

I've given my wife instructions to have my keys taken away the moment I look like I'm going to start driving like an old fart. So far, luckily, driving is the one skill that hasn't begun to deteriorate. I drive to relax, calm down, think and just generally enjoy life. I'm happiest on a road trip, and cross-country long hauls are my favorite. One of my favorite trips was a solitary drive from Detroit to Langtry, TX, on the Rio Grand, and return, in 5 days. It'll break my heart if/when I lose that.

Good evening .....

Greg, Dave, Chet, and Toot. .... Thanks for commenting on my Santa Fe E6 photo. ....

Also, thanks to all who "liked" it.

Thanks Garry for the good wishes. Any action, is usually all in the last 15 minutes. I won't move again, if at all, till the last 10 seconds. Marvellous rock work in that scene.

Toot .... Are you familiar with biddingscheduler.com ? ..... It will allow you to bid automatically in the final seconds with the highest bid you are willing to pay. I suspect many of the people who "snipe" in the final seconds are using such a service. It is easy to learn how to bid with it.

Greg .... Nice scene with the crane.

Chet .... I like your downtown scene and also pictures of the F7.

Toot .... Are you familiar with biddingscheduler.com ? ..... It will allow you to bid automatically in the final seconds with the highest bid you are willing to pay. I suspect many of the people who "snipe" in the final seconds are using such a service. It is easy to learn how to bid with it.
I didn't know about that, it's been quite a while since I bid in an auction. I'll look that up. Thanks.

Morning all,

Lots of coffee this morning....Thanks Flo.

Called in at 12:30 am so by the time I got the issue resolved and get home in time to get up and do it again, I just decided to stay at work and catch up on things. Most of this post is continued form the one I thought I posted yesterday.

I have some pictures of of the grandson's layout that finally turned out (see Below:)

20190819_191953.jpg
20190819_191953.jpg
20190819_192031.jpg

I still need to connect the switches. On mine I didn't realize how crooked the new bridge was until I put the cork underlay on it:
20190819_192112.jpg

The waviness on the lift section has been corrected and track relayed. I used the mechanical advantage of my table saw to trim the foam square. If you notice the rail base on the table comes almost to the edge of the table. That additional 3.5 inches straightens out the curve on the other side before it hits the lift section. I think it will ease my derail concerns at that point . I did pick up a tip at the last train show that makes the whole transition a lot smoother as well.

Last box of auction stuff isn't showing up today as it has sat in Kansas City since Sunday. Supposed to be here tomorrow anyway. Funny how a box from southern California takes 4 days from shipping (7 guaranteed) and a box from Portland Oregon, same 7 days will take at least the 7 days. Much of it sitting 3 hours away. Both using FedEx.

Bruette: Where did you get the picture of my grandson???
Egghead.png

He got his glasses this summer and first thing I said is that he looked like Egghead, Jr. He's almost as smart too.

Willie: I think you're correct as it is a charity website I have been using for much of this stuff. People not knowing what to do with it, donate it and I find it and bid on it. They have local stores, but depending on the object, get a better price online, much like egag.

Dave: I had some of the old fiber tie brass that I stripped for the rails to make my jig for rerail track. All of my remaining brass is plastic ties.

Attachments

• 20190819_192009.jpg
    20190819_192009.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 105
Good news ..... Some of you may be interested NWSL has been purchased by an individual who will keep the company operating.

Garry, forgive my ignorance, but all I can think of is The National Women's Soccer League" and I seriously doubt that is what you are referring to. Please enlighten me when you have a chance.

Good to see you to my friend.

Dave, push and hold the power button until it turns off completely, then reboot it.
If it still won’t boot, push the power button and push f2, esc, or f10, depending on the computer, to launch into safe mode, then turn off the hibernation option.
As usual Terry is spot on!

If all else fails; pull the battery, wait a minute and try again.

Willie, it's freaking hot! I know it's the dog days in Baltimore, but this heat and humidity is relentless! I worked two short blocks for Amazon. One each day on consecutive days and my body is telling me to "stay home in the AC today". The good news is I have finally learned to listen!

Huevos rancheros, I had no idea what that was and I had to look it up. It does not look like it is for me. I don't like avocado, guacamole or tomatoes with eggs, it's a trifecta! I'm glad you like it and I hope you enjoyed it. Next time breakfast is on me, get what ever you like, but I'm having steak and eggs.

That's the beauty of God's creation, even though there is less than 3% difference in any human beings DNA, we are all different!

I like some Mexican food, I love Nachos. I like my home made Tacos and Burritos, but I don't use beans in either of them. I do like beans, baked beans that is, with pork or hotdogs. I guess I too much of a "Yankee" for most real Mexican food.

That reminds me of when I was contracting for a roofing company as a crane operator. There were three separate groups having lunch. The Spanish laborers, the black guys and the white guys. I did not know anybody so I guess I looked lost. One of the Spanish guys that had been doing ground clean up for me, Luis, called me over and offered me lunch. They were all eating from the same big bag of home made, individually wrapped... I honestly don't know what they are called. Cooked beans wrapped in soft corn flour, ... thing. I took one and ate it, not good to me, but my Nanny taught me to always be polite when offered hospitality.

The next day I took a service truck to Popeyes and bought everyone chicken for lunch. I don't care much for Popeyes, but an old guy I knew, Harry was on the crew that day and I know he loved Popeyes. The foreman asked me, "why chicken" I told him "you work on the roof for 26 years like Harry and I might care you what you want"

Popeyes was better than what they offered me the day before and this way I did not have to be impolite. It cost me almost $200 to feed everybody, but it was worth it. I did not have to pretend to like that bean thing again!

Garry, forgive my ignorance, but all I can think of is The National Women's Soccer League" and I seriously doubt that is what you are referring to. Please enlighten me when you have a chance.

Good to see you to my friend.
NWSL=North West Short Line.
They make detail parts, modification kits, and specialized tools and equipment for model railroading. An employee of the company is taking over operations, to keep it in business.

I've given my wife instructions to have my keys taken away the moment I look like I'm going to start driving like an old fart. So far, luckily, driving is the one skill that hasn't begun to deteriorate. I drive to relax, calm down, think and just generally enjoy life. I'm happiest on a road trip, and cross-country long hauls are my favorite. One of my favorite trips was a solitary drive from Detroit to Langtry, TX, on the Rio Grand, and return, in 5 days. It'll break my heart if/when I lose that.

Define "old fart" drivers. My youngest daughter says I drive to slow, but I've been driving this way since I started driving as part of making my living, 22 years old maybe?

I think it's like anything else "use it or lose it". I did not drive much for over 10 years before becoming a contractor for Amazon. At first I felt uneasy, but after a few weeks I feel like I never skipped a beat. Don't ask me how or why, but even my night vision has improved.

NWSL=North West Short Line.
They make detail parts, modification kits, and specialized tools and equipment for model railroading. An employee of the company is taking over operations, to keep it in business.
Thank you, coming from Garry I knew I would be interested to know and that is good news!

Johnny, I'm glad you enjoyed the cartoons. I love those old Looney Tunes cartoons. Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn are my favorites!

Garry, Chet and anyone I may have missed, thanks for the comments about my grandson. I was not with him when they went on vacation. I don't like driving anywhere for 3-4 hours, unless it's "down ne Ocean hon!" (it's a Baltimore thing). Even then I have to take frequent breaks. My back won't let me sit for that long.

My grandson insisted they see the locomotive and he insisted they take pictures for Poppy. :)

Patrick,
my grandson got his glasses almost two years ago now. I made a big deal over them saying "he looked smart, I want glasses now" I have glasses, but I only need then for reading. I had them make me a pair of bifocals with clear glass on top for driving when I'm working. My grandson said I look good in them. When it comes to looking smart, I need all the help I can get!

Good morning Everybody!

Have I rambled on enough? I knew you missed me. ;)

A few things I forgot to mention, can you believe it?

Greg, it seems to me my spell checker has not worked correctly since the new forum software was installed. I could be wrong, probably am, but it seems that way to me. Not a good thing for me because I can't spell for... as you may have noticed. Don't worry about it, I don't worry about it. Besides the human brain is great at seeing what it thinks things should be, not always as they are. As they say in New York "forget about it".

Patrick, I love your grandsons layout!

Have a great day Everybody!

I believe that spell checker is in your computer software, not in the forum software. At least that's where mine is located.
You are correct sir, but how they integrate is another story. I'm so far behind today's technology, it's all beyond my pay grade. I'm just shooting in the dark. I don't even know the origin of my spell checker. All I can say is spell checker works flawlessly for me in Microsoft Office, but sometimes not so good on the forum. I can't even say if I have more than 1 spell checker. Could it be Microsoft Edge has one version of spell check and Microsoft Office another?

NWSL has been a model railroaders best friend for 60 years. Their metal wheelsets are the de facto replacements for old Athearn sintered metal engine wheels for years. And that's only a beginning.
Thanks for filling in some of the blanks, that explains why I was in the dark about NWSL. Other than Lionel the only thing I have ever worked on was Tyco and Life-Like stuff from the 70s. When it comes to HO, N and serious model railroading I know very little. Another reason I enjoy this forum so much. I admire the work of serious model railroaders.

As always I'll relate it to baseball. I know I could never pitch a no hitter, but I enjoy watching one!

I made my wife happy yesterday when this arrived via UPS.
It's Emeril Lagasse's Power Air Fryer 360. 12 One-Touch Presets • 9 Appliances in one.
I got it online from Kohl's for just under $170 tax included with free shipping. The TV infomercial (I love watching some of them) price was $199.96 A quick internet search saved me nearly $30!
We had a perfectly good Kenmore convection toaster oven, but if that is what she wants, that is what she gets! We have two kitchens so the Kenmore won't be discarded, just not used very often.
1566387684037.png

She never says no to me when I buy trains, she encourages me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back