Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin Peaks will become a tourist attraction at some point ,if isn't already. The state or a "non" profit will probably end up turning it into a park/landmark , they won't pass up the tourist dollars. You'll have to pay to get in.

Speaking of tragic places ....https://www.jfk.org/
book your tickets now ....it gets crowded on the 6th floor.
GeeTee

Terry and I have played tourist in Dallas. I have no intention of going to see that spot and she agrees with me. Just another thing in life I don’t want or can’t forget but there is no need for me to be there.

I love history and have been to Pacific Islands ravaged by war, the Arizona battleship in Pearl Harbor was a somber experience. I cried at the former site of the World Trade Center. But I can’t handle Dallas.

TomO

Twin Peaks will become a tourist attraction at some point ,if isn't already. The state or a "non" profit will probably end up turning it into a park/landmark , they won't pass up the tourist dollars. You'll have to pay to get in.

Speaking of tragic places ....https://www.jfk.org/
book your tickets now ....it gets crowded on the 6th floor.
It already has a new tenant, second one since the first chain went bankrupt.
Louisiana Crab Shack

GeeTee

Terry and I have played tourist in Dallas. I have no intention of going to see that spot and she agrees with me. Just another thing in life I don’t want or can’t forget but there is no need for me to be there.

I love history and have been to Pacific Islands ravaged by war, the Arizona battleship in Pearl Harbor was a somber experience. I cried at the former site of the World Trade Center. But I can’t handle Dallas.

TomO
Sadly I lived in Dallas in 1963 and I have a few connections to the events of that day. While I cannot avoid Dallas itself since most of my immediate family lives there, I have refused to visit the memorial, or even Dealy Plaza/triple underpass in the intervening 58 years.

Good evening.
It's clear and 67.
Most of y'all probably remember I accidentally bought a high-end laptop a week or so ago. One of the things missing was a charger for it. That's not a problem, because I have one, and replacements are cheap, usually around $20 or so. I got one from our favorite online auction emporium, for that price.
This afternoon, I got a message from the seller. Bear in mind, this is a $20 charging brick, not some highly desirable and exotic/expen$ive part.

Hello There.
Please keep an eye on your tracking. Signature is required.
Your item has been shipped Here is the tracking info USPS tracking # 9400108205496685173217 You should get it in 2 or 4 days. If you ever run into any issue please contact us first before filing a complaint or give us a negative feedback. I'm very sure we can fix the problem for you.
Thank you.

Maybe I overreacted a bit with everything going on here at Terry's house, but this was my response:

Hello.
I really hope you're kidding about requiring a signature for this item. Nowhere in your item or shipping descriptions did you disclose this, and there is no way in hell I'm going to stay home from work without pay just so I can sign for a used $20 power brick.

Sadly I lived in Dallas in 1963 and I have a few connections to the events of that day. While I cannot avoid Dallas itself since most of my immediate family lives there, I have refused to visit the memorial, or even Dealy Plaza/triple underpass in the intervening 58 years.

I think everybody who lived in 1963 can recall where they were when it happened. I lived in Colorado then.

A couple of years ago (or so),an HO model of the limo was offered by Oxford. I heard some model railroaders were very critical of that. I don’t think it was available for long. I certainly did not want one .

Going to be quick today. Been busy getting winter stuff put away and getting summer stuff out and ready to work. Took the snow plow off of the tractor and got the mowing deck on Tuesday and mowed for the first time this year. It did get up into the mid 70's but the forecast is for rain and cooler weather for the weekend.

Good photos as usual. I'll post some I took at the yard in Livingston while at the club/

thumbnail_20190620_150153.jpg
thumbnail_20190627_145238.jpg
thumbnail_20190704_115723.jpg
thumbnail_20190801_130329.jpg

Gotta run, LATER

Terry:

Is that one of the mag safe powerpaks? I'm still hanging onto my old MacBookPro for emergency use. But I've got three magsafe power bricks for it. I could part with one
Thanks for the offer, Troy, but it's one of the newer USB-C bricks. I have a really nice one I'm using, with two charging ports, but it only puts out a max of 45 watts, and the laptop wants 61 watts.

Good Evening gang!

I don't get here much at night, and I've already had dinner, but dessert has not been had yet.

Flo my dear, can I have a large bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream, go ahead and drown it in Hershey's syrup if you will.

Terry I've had shippers on fleabay ship $700.00 brass engines to me that have been left on the porch. Really a signature for a $20.00 item? Seems silly to me.

My bride had a little incident happen the other evening. Just as she was leaving work, she got a call from her daughter, she was stuck in Richmond VA traffic and would not be home before the daycare closed, hubby was on a job site, and the kids needed to be picked up. Of course she said yes, and stopped at the grocery store near her office to pick up some strawberries and some other items that she new the kiddos would like.
At the grocery store there was a large strawberry display, and being socially distant, she stepped back to let another woman through, brushing up against another large display of insulated picnic or cold food bags. After that, she got her berries and other items, walking through most of the store. Then she stood in line with her cart, paid for her items, left, went to the car, unloaded the cart, took the cart to the cart return pen in the lot, and as she was walking to her car was flagged by a woman in her car coming down the aisle.
"Excuse me miss" as she motioned for my wife to approach. Not knowing who this was, she only took a half step toward her, not wanting to possible get grabbed or something.
"I have to tell you something" the woman continued, " You have something stuck to your butt!"
Wifey brushed against her butt and felt a large piece of plastic, about 3 x 6 inches stuck to her posterior.
Pulling it off and looking at it, she was embarrassed to see she had a price tag stuck to her.
"What does it say"? the lady asked, "It doesn't say Juicy Peaches does it?"
They both had a big laugh as it said insulated bags, $3.99
The woman continued "I couldn't in good conscious left you continue to walk around like that, I hope I didn't startle you or upset you."
Sharon said no, and thanked her for looking out for her, then she wondered how many people in the store saw her , and said nothing, including the guy in the next parking space who was having a good chuckle and he readied his motorcycle and helmet for departure. The 2 ladies departed laughing, and my granddaughter and I almost laughed ourselves silly listening to her recount the story later.

Tomorrow is an early off day at work, should be home after lunch, maybe I can find the workbench then??

11949466_987529291298054_4491932860195022651_n.jpg

I'm thinking about switching to a larger scale, much easier on my eyes!

Happy "Friday Eve" Shop Dwellers! It's 50*F under partly cloudy skies with zero wind in my central MD 'hood.

I truly appreciated all the "likes" n' "loves" that were left on my Wednesday post - Phil, Hughie, Tom in WI., Patrick, Gary, Willie, Tom in NY State, Jaz, Justin, Sherrell, Garry, Chad, Guy, Karl

Not a whole lot to report tonight, other than I put in another 20 minutes on the trainroom cleanup effort this afternoon. Didn't accomplish quite as much as I did the previous two days, but every little bit of progress helps. Also, I started a separate thread on that antique geep that I posted the picture of last night, it contains the full story of how it influenced my decision to resume model trains after the 15-year sabbatical.

Cheers!

Tom O- with regards to your comment about weather forecast vs actual weather..... People like to complain about wx personalities only being right half the time “If I was wrong on my job 50% of the time, I’d lose my job”. My response to that is “Baseball players can fail 70%(or more) of the time & still make it to Cooperstown”. Even with all of the technology at their disposal, they’re only making guesses, mostly relying on various computer models. Yes, they’re making educated guesses, but they’re still guessing.

Good evening ....

Karl ..... I suggest you do not run that EMD SD45 past a hot box detector.... Sounds like your bride had a funny experience.

Chet ..... I like those photos of MRL ....... Reminds me, has "Toot" posted lately ?

Here is another view of the GP7 switching at the coal mine.

51162514458_8a0ecc96ab_h.jpg

Everybody ..... Have a good night .

Last edited:
A couple of years ago (or so),an HO model of the limo was offered by Oxford.
https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/col...tal-x100-presidential-blue-metallic-87lc61001

currently sold out.

I don't particularly want to go either , I just find it interesting that so many people want too ( I was shocked when they opened it but...) and its not like they want to be at the spot where he was shot. They want to see where Lee Harvey Oswald did the deed ...they want to see what the assassin saw .

Personally I've never found a good reason to go to Dallas , other than a football game or Love Field.

The northern part of the state isn't that touristy.Most of the battlegrounds/monuments/missions are in southern part of the state.

On a more positive note ....Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas....
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/05/constitutional-carry-guns-texas-legislature/

Good morning all,

First time contributor, here.

I grew up in Dallas, Tx - - - now I live in Minnesota. Got heat sick too many times there and over in East Texas after 10 years in the USN. Now I really do not like hot weather. My standard line, when these Minn-Nice folks ask is: "I'll take 20 below over 110 any day!"

Spring finally completely sprung here so today (Fridays is my day off) will be a day spent in Ballistics field work, i.e., golf. Only my third time out.

Built up 8 of the 12 Walthers plastic track bumpers last night after a evening meeting. Got home before 8 which was a nice benny. Now starting to rethink those bumpers - - they seem mighty feeble. Broke 2 of the blasted 'vertical supports' trying to clean up the sprue connection of the crossbar. So 2 of the 12 will be sans vert support.

WHen the train-bug first hit back in December, I invested in a loop of Atlas true track. Glad I did as I can now run a train/s as I am in planning and construct mode. Sometimes, even 5 minutes spent running a train is a good 'fix.' Think I'm a-liking this hobby.

Cheers all! ----Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back