RTR Pet Peeves

Genetk44

I was just wondering what pet peeves do folks here have with RTR locos and/or rolling stock. I don't mean the odd glitch like finding a broken handrail on a new loco or something like that but more towards the stuff that seems to be fairly common.

I don't generally have any with most freight or passenger equipment.

But new store-bought locos....man sometimes I get hot under the collar....my biggest pet-peeve is how often they come from the manufacturer so over-lubricated to the point that grease/oil is all over the trucks or dripping onto the body itself. That one really pi**es me off!

The other is high dollar locos, such as Athearn Genesis or Atlas GoldLine locos that don't come with at least a half-body crew in the cab. I get it with the cheaper locos like Bachmann or Atlas Trainman etc., but when you are laying out $200-$300 for a loco they could at least add 1/2 a crewman...especially considering how hard most cabs are to remove without breaking anything.

The inability or outright evilness of companies that misrepresent the turn radius of their items and leave out the fact that the engine they are pushing is DC and not DCC!

I am on the opposite end of the DC/DCC subject. I have seen a number of locomotives that I could use, but find out that they are available in DCC only, and not available in straight DC. I have no plans whatsoever to change over to DCC and can't see paying the extra bucks for DCC when I won't be using it.

Thankfully, I can't see myself buying any more locomotives. I now have EEENUFF.

I am on the opposite end of the DC/DCC subject. I have seen a number of locomotives that I could use, but find out that they are available in DCC only, and not available in straight DC. I have no plans whatsoever to change over to DCC and can't see paying the extra bucks for DCC when I won't be using it.

Thankfully, I can't see myself buying any more locomotives. I now have EEENUFF.

DCC or DC should be an option that is available, or at least more CLEAR, it would help.

I'm going DCC cause I'm starting from zip and don't want to mix em till I have more experience, some of the older Loco's appeal to me and I will be acquiring some DC action over time to try my hand at conversion.

Right on about buying! I had to stop till I at least run what I've got!

I am with Chet here - the lack of detail (Cab wise) with high end models. When your paying $200 + for an engine, there is no reason why there shouldn't be crew members and the cabin lit.

Also get a little "peeved" when I get a top end engine/rolling stock that has damage out of the box.

And, finally, the tendency of some companies to exaggerate minimum radii OR leave that out of the engine/car details all together.

And, finally, the tendency of some companies to exaggerate minimum radii OR leave that out of the engine/car details all together.

I was wondering when you were going to bring THAT up! LOL! I know that is the one that really rubs your fur backwards! MEE TOO!

You're right about the paying more bit, but look closely at the description. A lot of DCC locomotives out there are dual mode, and will run just find on DC. So they may work for your needs.

I am with Chet here - the lack of detail (Cab wise) with high end models. When your paying $200 + for an engine, there is no reason why there shouldn't be crew members and the cabin lit.

When running, the cab typically isn't light, for the same reason you don't drive your car with the dome light one. Yes, the gauges are illuminated, or on steam locos, there are small lights over the gauges, but the actual cab lights are typically only used during startup or shutdown.

I was wondering when you were going to bring THAT up! LOL! I know that is the one that really rubs your fur backwards! MEE TOO!

And I do think it is a justifiable peeve.

When running, the cab typically isn't light, for the same reason you don't drive your car with the dome light one. Yes, the gauges are illuminated, or on steam locos, there are small lights over the gauges, but the actual cab lights are typically only used during startup or shutdown.

Bob, yep I realize the cabins are not lit during travel BUT, that doesn't prevent them from being fitted with lights for when they are not OR having some of the gauges/dash lit. I guess that is what I really meant - the instrument panels being lit as a real train.

I've got a Broadway Limited RS18 that does exactly that...cab is lit at standstill, light goes off at speedstep2 then comes back on at speedstep 2 as you slow down. Kind of cool but not that important to me...very smooth slow slow running is number 1 for me,followed by good quality prime mover sounds

I've got an Athearn MRL SD40-2 that is lit in the cabin, but that's only 'cause I must have pulled the H/light bulbs out of their sockets when installing the decoder.

Back