rtr or put together?

joed2323

Do you guys have a preference on rolling stock? rtr is nice, but you can get cheaper if you get the rolling stock in a kit, i currently bought a few that i have to put together, do you guys go for the kits to save some money or?

I prefer kits, but not for the purpose of saving money. I just enjoy putting them together. My mom says my first sentence was "see how it works?", as I held up all the screws from my baby crib I had just escaped from ;)

I've not gone to the extreme of "craftsman kits", which typically are just blueprints and uncut materials. But I've done my share of kits and have a few RTRs as well. The kits are more prized possessions because they have some of "me" in them (literally! I glued myself to more than one! :D ).

And kits typically have more detail too - but that's not always the case, just more typical.

I always preferred the kits, but lately I have to praise some of the manufacturers for their level of detail on the RTR's. However they are overpriced in my opinion. Other than a train show or expo, there aren't many places left that you can find kits. There are a few kit manufacturers left out there like Accurail and Intermountain to name two; but the leaders like Athearn and Atlas have done away with them.
The reason I went with kits when I began modeling was to save money. But I found that the experience gained by kit building can help immensely when you encounter some of the less than quality products coming out of China lately.
My fear now is that the price of RTR's will eventually kill the hobby if things remain the same. In 25 years or less, I have seen the price of a blue box Athearn at $4.00, rise to over $30.00 for a RTR car. Just how many teens are willing to spend that amount on a rail car? Two diesels and ten cars could easily cost over $600.00. That doesn't include track and power supplies.
Sorry for the rant if I offended any one.
willie

i like kits especialy when it comes to weathering, i use a combination, of chalk, ceramacoat paint, rubbing alcohol, and the effects are pretty good but its rough on the fine details on some of the newer rtr.
mark

When I got into HO way back when, kits were the norm and the quality and detail was better than what we call today RTR. In those days it was called trainsets and brands like Tyco and a few others weren't much on detail or accuracy or running quality so I did kits. Maybe the best of the RTR in those days was made by AHM / Rivarossi and I still have a few of those and they still run good. Prebuilt buildings were almost unheard of. So I got into the hobby doing kits and still prefer them as well as the enjoyment of building them. About the only time I buy RTR cars these days is if it is something not available in kit form or not easily kitbashed from an existing kit. Even at that not every kit is offered as an undec so custom paint work now includes stripping.

I will buy either kits or RTR rolling stock depending on what it is or if it's only available one way or the other.

But I would never buy a pre-assembled structure simply because it would have to be taken apart to be painted and weathered anyway.

Nothing goes on the layout straight out of the box. :)

Nothing goes on the layout straight out of the box. :)

This is the way I feel as well. IIRC, I have a grand total of 7 RTR cars out of my several hundred.

I feel that a kit is superior to RTR, because you can build it to any level of detail desired. I don't put things on my kits like airhoses, as I find that these are generally the first "fine" detail that gets broke. I also don't install uncoupling levers, as they are the next to go.

Several have stated that they don't have the skills to put together a kit. Hogwash! There are still several makers of what we used to call "shake the box" kits. Accurail, Bowser are the main two left for these simple kits. More difficult ones are available from Red Caboose, Tichy and others.

Many of the older manufacturer's kits are still available from Ye Olde Huff & Puff, and Labelle. There are many resin kit makers out there as well for the ultimate kits, like Westerfield, Funaro & Camerlengo, Sunshine.

For many of these kits, if you've ever assembled a plastic model of a plane, ship, or car, you have the basic skills to build any of kits mentioned.

I don't put things on my kits like airhoses, as I find that these are generally the first "fine" detail that gets broke. I also don't install uncoupling levers, as they are the next to go.

Several have stated that they don't have the skills to put together a kit. Hogwash! There are still several makers of what we used to call "shake the box" kits. Accurail, Bowser are the main two left for these simple kits. More difficult ones are available from Red Caboose, Tichy and others.

I completely agree on both of these points.

I've found that as a train rolls by you can't really notice those missing details. I know in my case I tend to be looking at the bigger picture.

And yea, anybody really can put together the kits mentioned. It usually only takes a few minutes.

I like kits but not for saving money. I've built a number of the plastic, shake the box, kits.
My current preference are the wood or resin craftsman kits and then add details there are not in the kit and replace some of the plastic parts with brass (like the brake wheel and shaft).

When I got into HO way back when, kits were the norm and the quality and detail was better than what we call today RTR. In those days it was called trainsets and brands like Tyco and a few others weren't much on detail or accuracy or running quality so I did kits. Maybe the best of the RTR in those days was made by AHM / Rivarossi and I still have a few of those and they still run good. Prebuilt buildings were almost unheard of. So I got into the hobby doing kits and still prefer them as well as the enjoyment of building them. About the only time I buy RTR cars these days is if it is something not available in kit form or not easily kitbashed from an existing kit. Even at that not every kit is offered as an undec so custom paint work now includes stripping.

Athearn had RTR back in the 60s(70s?) but,everybody was buying kits.

Athearn also made RTR cars for Lionel(HO),Atlas and Cox.

Mantua had RTR engines and cars as did Revelle,AHM and Varney.

Atlas HO has always been RTR.

I prefer todays RTR cars.

I prefer RTR. Main reason is that most of the kits I have seen are for 50s and 60s railroading and wouldn't fit in my late 80s railroad. Only exception are a few Accurail kits.

Do you guys have a preference on rolling stock? rtr is nice, but you can get cheaper if you get the rolling stock in a kit, i currently bought a few that i have to put together, do you guys go for the kits to save some money or?

No preference really. When buying an RTR I do like to examine it to make sure it has no flaws or at least minor flaws that I can fix. As for kits, I do enjoy putting them together and adding or replacing details with brass for durability.

My favourite kits are TICHI/GOULD kits.
My favourite for kitbashing and adding details are Accurail.
My favourite RTRs so far are Rapido, and TLT.

I also like ExactRail, but they don't make what I need for my place and era.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 149
My modeling is limited to a specific time and place, so I take what I can get. Kits can save me the trouble of modifying a piece that has already been glued together.

My modeling is limited to a specific time and place, so I take what I can get. Kits can save me the trouble of modifying a piece that has already been glued together.

I''m quite adamant about modelling a specific time and place and it keeps me focused. Also I find the research fun and rewarding. I have moved the time up though to two years to accommodate some brass locos I just had to have that were not available in the original time I modelled. I would have had to remove some parts and renumber them.

What type of modifications do you do to your kits?

For example -- this is UP in 1970-75 -- remove running boards, cut down ladders and make some other detail changes to Red Caboose R-70-15 reefers to reflect the era. Athearn's recent GP9 requires relocating the horns, adding a rooftop flasher, and changing the multiple-unit towers on the ends. Nothing big, but something very era-specific.

For example -- this is UP in 1970-75 -- remove running boards, cut down ladders and make some other detail changes to Red Caboose R-70-15 reefers to reflect the era. Athearn's recent GP9 requires relocating the horns, adding a rooftop flasher, and changing the multiple-unit towers on the ends. Nothing big, but something very era-specific.

Nothing big? You' seem to be modest. It sounds a bit challenging especially the tower ends. By the way, is there suppose to be an image with this post?

Lately I have started a new collection for a new era I'm going to model in the near future. I usually modify because the only model available represents the American version so I have to do some modifications like I did on this diesel.

I repositioned the horns, put a proper pilot on it and on the rear, a sinclair antenna, removed two of the cab lights and filled in the holes, and now have to put a bell on it and a ACI plate. It still isn't 100% prototypical, but it will do.

Back