RR bridge with visiable power lines attached

NYC_George

Does anyone know if there are any other RR bridges with high tension power lines attached to the side of the structure? I know the Pougkeepsie RR bridge has this feature. I'm doing my viaduct bridge project and I thought it might be a cool idea to add them

Here's a link to a video of the bridge before they converted it in to a 1 1/4 mile walk way. The narrator mentions the power lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpr...dK6b4GCh8_z7mxnHrh6PGcTGVVnijrCGKlVq6oC61YUJQ

Poughkeepsie_rr_bridge_power_lines.jpg

I've seen both bridges and trestles with power lines on the side but not quite like that.
Some still have multiple telegraph / telephone lines on them.

a lot of brigdes had lines on them most where teleghaphs lines. the railroads ran the lines and did the upkeep as phone lines so it simpler to put them on the same right of way. power companys have use the same right of way to cut down on the cost.

Does anyone know if there are any other RR bridges with high tension power lines attached to the side of the structure? I know the Pougkeepsie RR bridge has this feature. I'm doing my viaduct bridge project and I thought it might be a cool idea to add them
No, I have not. I do not know what the rules for high tension power lines that are not on poles. Those on the bridge seem pretty close to the pedestrian guard rail. Rule of thumb is number of insulators + 10 feet is the minimum clearance to the wire. That picture is real fuzzy so I can't tell if those are three stacks of ring insulators or just three separate insulators. If the latter it isn't necessarily high tension wires (139kv+), but could just be distribution lines (13kv).

But as the others have stated there are many bridges that carry the railroads own telegraph lines, and other's normal power lines, phone lines, even gas and water lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, I don't do videos, but I looked and don't see them much more clear than they are in the photo. At 3:04 I could guess that it is 27 insulators in two stacks. that would equate to 37 feet minimum, and they look more like they are 12 feet from the ped guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry I'm sure what the bridge is for in the photo but it has the power lines attached. In the case of the Poughkeepsie bridge the power company used the RR bridge to cross the 1 mile & 1/4 river span.

George

That looks like PRR electrification on the north east corridor and mainline between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. I know some NS secondary mains here still have high voltage transmission lines and even the low grade line rail trail has transmission lines (PPL replaced the PRR I-beam set up with modern round steel poles before the rail trail opened).
I have never seen transmission lines that close to a structure before. As stated industry standard is 10' minimum from possible contact/structures. I have to wonder when it was installed? By the 1930's when the PRR electrified it's heaviest lines they installed the power lines over top the catenary. Those lines are 30'-35' in the air, maybe even higher.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back