RPP 8-40CW details

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I am in search of fuel tank details for my RPP 8-40CW's. I am mainly interested in the air tank details so far and the closest resemblance I can find are the Details West #261, but they are for '95 n later dash 9's n AC4400's. Does anyone make a proper detail set of these for a dash 8??

C'mon guys...over 60 looks but no replies or ideas? Someone somewhere has to have some sorta idea on what I can do...

Never built 8-40CW but it doesn't matter what the label says, if it looks right use it or if it's close, modify and use it.

Well I wonder if anyone can tell me if the dash 9's had the same air tank detail as the dash 8's...if they did then it would make things pretty easy...

Hey cbar, to answer your question Dash8's and Dash 9's that were part of the initial build (pre-1995) have the same type of air reservoirs. These differ from those found on later build Dash 9's and AC4400 models by way of being mounted to the bottom of the fuel tank as opposed to the top. It is said that this change was made for ease of maintenance and cleaning.

While there are large differences between dash 8's and 9's (trucks, prime mover, etc) this is not one of them...Have a look at the pics provided below. The first is BNSF #805 which is a 8-40CW. Note the "suspended air reservoirs" that are top mounted:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1134524

In this next picture is an early built Dash 9...Actually, one of the first purchased by ATSF:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1646547

Lastly, take a look at the air reservoirs and piping on this dash 9 BNSF #4408. It is an example from one of the later build dash 9's:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2264969

As far as your other question regarding the detail set from Detailswest (PN 261) well, this set may be the only aftermarket air reservoir detail set available, but the instructions included tell you how to modify the existing pieces to fit pre-1995 locos.

I hope this answers your question. I know the explanation is long, but there may be others out there reading who also would like to know. Take care and hope to see your dash 8 come together soon! ;)

-Rich

Well I wonder if anyone can tell me if the dash 9's had the same air tank detail as the dash 8's...if they did then it would make things pretty easy...

Find a photo of a dash 8, find a photo of a dash 9, look at the detail part and you will know. That's what I'd do.

Hmmm...well if the DW air tank set comes with instructions of how to do this then that makes it even easier...thanks for the info on that!!

Hmmm...well if the DW air tank set comes with instructions of how to do this then that makes it even easier...thanks for the info on that!!

Really, all you have to do is make the cuts just the way that the instructions tell you and then mount the air tanks upside down and switch the sides you install the large pipe and small pipe on. As I stated before though, it explains it all in the instructions.

Make sure you post some pics of your work! Sounds like a fun project.

-Rich

Back