Roundhouse LED light help

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
This is the truss that will be inside the roundhouse. Look closely and you will see 3 LED's that I'd like to mount under the truss to light up the roundhouse. these LED's are the following:

osram lw-e67c
Standard LEDs - SMD White, 5600K 900mcd, 30mA

I would like to wire these in series of 3's for each truss. Now here's the kicker, there is 36 trusses X 3 LED's each, 108 total LED's. Where am I going to run into problems electrically wise?

20170603_162831.jpg

Attachments

• 20170603_172815.jpg
    20170603_172815.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 154
I would consider using districts ... that way you can shut off different section of the roundhouse and light others. If it we're me, I'd go 3-4 beams per switch, so 9-12 lights per switch. I'd go further and independently power each section to avoid any issues.

Ian, that is probably good advice, and very doable. Should I be using any kinda of resistors on these sections of LED's?

I've done something similar. You can run all three LEDs on each beam in series with a single resistor. Based on 30 ma each and a 12 volt supply, you would need a 43 ohm resistor for each set. That being said, they will be running at their full potential with that resistor and may be too bright. You may want to do some experimenting with some higher values for the resistor for a more pleasing appearance.

Each of you beams will be connected in parallel to a common bus from the power supply. This page will give you a diagram for all 108 of your LEDs ....

http://ledcalculator.net/

Mark.

As Mark indicated you will definitely want to run some resistance in parallel, otherwise you'll blow the LEDs (ask me how I know ;) ). The calculator Mark posted is a good one, and there are others out there as well. Good luck!!

This was my first try at this. Way too labor intensive. Using 2 AAA batteries for power there.

20170604_192152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back