Roundhouse Build

AllenB

Thought I would share. I recently stumbled onto the opportunity to tour a private roundhouse being built here in Ohio. I really don't know the details of who owns it, but it is simply amazing. The Amish helped build it. To get there, you drive an hour or more in the country around hills etc, and out this back road and suddenly out of nowhere appears this enormous structure. Everything inside and out is period correct and made from scratch. Nothing bought here at Home Depot. Even the door hardware was made in a Blacksmith shop. It's like taking a step back in time. Here is the link to my photobucket. Enjoy!

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/smawgunner/Roundhouse/

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont mean to be nosey but how the h*** did you get inside?

There was an invitation sent out to some architects. I just happened to be a friend of one who sent it to me. I had no idea until I got there that only architects were invited. I felt a bit embarrassed but they still invited me to stay. It was funny too because everyone in the group were interested in the building and had no interest in trains. I wanted to hop up on every loco but restrained myself. :eek:

Allen, lucky you for getting inside that beautiful structure. It is a masterpiece to see. I drove down there a few weeks ago and was impressed at what I saw. I loved the doors. They are so original looking.
I understand that all the bays are filled with steam locomotives. What a site that must be to see. All I could see was the outside yard. Quite a collection of locos and rolling stock in itself.
Certainly would pay for a tour. But the talk around these parts is that it most likely will not be open to the public in the future. That is a shame.
Good for you.

Ted

I think this is Jerry Jacobson's retirement hobby.
It could be another one, not sure.
Jerry owned the Ohio Central railway I believe?

Yep. Jerry Jacobsen's playground. He sold the Ohio Central and this is what he's tinkering with now.I got a chance to drive out there last time I was working in Akron, and it is a hell of a sight to behold. Lucky you for the tour, I'd love to see inside the place.

Allen, lucky you for getting inside that beautiful structure. It is a masterpiece to see. I drove down there a few weeks ago and was impressed at what I saw. I loved the doors. They are so original looking.
I understand that all the bays are filled with steam locomotives. What a site that must be to see. All I could see was the outside yard. Quite a collection of locos and rolling stock in itself.
Certainly would pay for a tour. But the talk around these parts is that it most likely will not be open to the public in the future. That is a shame.
Good for you.

Ted

Thanks Ted. It was surreal, like taking a step back in time. I can't even describe it. All the bays but a couple were filled with locos, but there were plenty to fill it outside. It's something I'll never forget. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

I think this is Jerry Jacobson's retirement hobby.
It could be another one, not sure.
Jerry owned the Ohio Central railway I believe?

Yes, that's it. It is a private collection and I've also hear it will not be open to the public on a regular basis.

Geez I should have recognized this right away, I've dealt with them on some surplus...

Back