Rotary Switch for Roundhouse Stalls

RJasonB

ITS_MFRR est. 2010
Any suggestions for a rotary switch that would be appropriate for directing rail power to a 12-stall roundhouse? I presently have six DCC locos parked in the roundhouse. All of the stall tracks are live when there is power to the layout. It appears that, even when idle/off, the DCC locos draw amperage. The draw is enough to cause PowerCab to shut down. I'd like to fix this problem by putting power to a selected stall only when that loco will go into service. I am wanting to add SPST on/off switches to the roundhouse stalls and like the idea of a rotary switch versus 12 toggle switches.

Thanks for any suggestions. Jason in Northern Colorado.

Rotary Switch

I installed a 9 position rotary switch for my roundhouse. It requires a little work and careful attention to what wire goes where but over all I am very satisfied with the operation. I don't remember the part number but it was a Radio Shack item and wasn't that expensive. Plus, they take up considerably less room than 12 on off switches.

Thanks for the replies! John P, the switch listed in the link looks like what I am after, but I am concerned about the 0.3 amp contact rating. My DCC locos with sound draw about 0.46 amps each when running. I typically run only two locos on the line, but have times when other locos will also run (yard ops, turntable, etc.). Do you have experience with this switch? Will the contact points handle the draw of typical DCC locos?

Thanks again!

Back