Rotary Snow Plow.

midrange

Steam & Diesel Fan
I have a working Rotary snow plow for HO. I found it at an old flea market for 20 bucks. I went to a train show last weekend and not one vendor had a working rotary snow plow.. are these not common?

Brian

Are you referring to the Athearn plow, or the now out of production model made by Walthers? The Athearn one has been around for a really long time, originally had the rotary blade turning by means of a rubber band looped around the truck axle. The RTR version could be motor powered these days, I've never paid any attention to them. The Walthers model had a motor driven blade, kept running at a constant speed with use of a constant lightin circuit. The motor was connected to the blade with a rubber band "drive belt". It broke on mine and I've never had the interest to repair it.

They are motor driven with a little circuit that puts out a constant voltage also in a constant direction. I put a DCC sound decoder in one for a customer once and it turned out really cool.

Cool idea Paul!
What sound decoder did you use? I'd guess they'd have the horn and bell like the wedge plows, but not sure what the motor would sound like.

It was a steam powered one so I used a LokSound programmed for a shay. I had to change the CVs to make it ramp up then stay at a constant speed. I have only seen an electric one operate so I don't know if it was right but I got paid for it.

Hmmm, is that what this is

picture.php

I have been trying to figure out what this was and I thought it might be some kind of snow blower/plow type engine. It was in a box of trains from my dad's house...

Back