rock salt

h44

would 2 bay 100 ton covered hoppers be used to carry bulk rock salt and 50' boxcars for bagged salt what kind of weathering would and older car have that had been in salt service any pics would be helpful
thanks
mark

I see no reason for them not to carry bulk salt and bagged would move in box cars definitely.

Prior to the modern coatings and paints coming into being since WWII, most salt was carried in wooden cars to prevent rust and damage being done to the cars before then. Salt can be very corrosive to steel.

In Charlie Slater's LAJ notes on Leslie Salt, they used to get SP open top 2 bay hoppers of rock salt. And there were usually 1-2 UP boxcars spotted at the building. It became Cargill Salt so have acquired a few Cargill Salt ACF hoppers. Now need to get a few SP 2 bays for the earlier days. Would the SP ones have been wood or steel? Or if steel, would they have used old ones due to be scrapped?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go to youtube and type in NS Salt Train and you will get some hits such as this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKFoOXFS4Gg

From what I see locally most salt trains use older hopper cars that were used in grain service and they are living their final years in salt service. The cars get very rusty and beat up as you can see in the video. I also have seen modern stainless steel salt cars too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of the DSSX hoppers "look" like they got some new paint & no "patched" reporting marks but the majority looked like rust buckets. DSSX is Detroit Salt Co. Are the cars just being used or is the salt coming from Detroit? That video has given me some ideas on what to do w/ some old junker <$2 swap meet hoppers. :)

Plus on some, (most?) of the video cameras these days, there is almost no way a muffler can be attached to the microphone. My old VHS camera had a built in muffler, and if the wind got even stronger, they made bigger mufflers.

As for the DSSX cars coming from Detroit, they most certainly did. One of the biggest salt mines in the world is located on the Great Lakes. It's so big that its extended supposedly something like a mile and a half or so under Lake Huron.

On an older three-bay grain car in salt service how full would these car be? 1/2 to 2/3 full? How long would one of these cars typically last in salt service ?

Back