Rock Ridge Downtown Renovation Project--Phase 1

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I was going to post this in Photo Fun, then remembered, Bob's request that more extensive photo series have their own post. I hope I got it right.

Here's a before shot.

traincity86.gif

It doesn't look like it but I had to fabricate a lot of pieces of wood and styrene. Don't worry about the posts not being straight, they are not glued down, and won't be until I paint the walks.

traincity79.gif

traincity80.gif

traincity81.gif

traincity82.gif

traincity83.gif

traincity84.gif

traincity85.gif

Dang Chip, how'd you make it look like wood?

I use artists acrylics and mix at least 3 different shades of grey-reddish brown. The darkest goes down first then dry-brushing of the other shades.

Question for you guys. I have a nice Digital SLR camera. When I adjust the shutter-speed/ f-stop in the camera, I get a perfect image on the LCD, yet when I view it on my monitor it is extremely dark. The images you see have been brightened on my computer.

The question is, how do you see the images. Are they kinda dark, or bright and washed out? I need to know if it is the camera or the monitor, I need to work on.

The question is, how do you see the images.
Well the first one is a bit faded (a little too bright) however the detail can easily be seen. The remainder seem a little dark but mostly in the background, the detail and color on the buildings I find ok. Now I have the same problem and I let the camera do the whole thing except press the button. Now what looks great on one monitor can look terrible on another because of each individuals setting preferences for brightness, contrast and color. Now I downloaded one of your photos and did some editing with my software, Now it looks better to me, but there's little doubt in my mind it will look washed out to others. I guess life's like that. One thing I've noticed is different programs also display photo characteristics differently so that has to be added to the wash. One thing I now do before uploading is to open it in a browser window, if I don't like it then more editing is required before uploading. Anyway it's a great job you're doing on the town, I'm enjoying this presentation.
Cheers Willis

Mouse-1.png

The pics look a tad dark, and Willis' pics is a little too bright for my taste. Both versions are fine though.

Have you tried adjusting the White Balance on the camera? You may also be able to adjust brightness on the camera. Most of my Model Train pics come out a little dark (poor indoor lighting and I don't use a flash) I just adjust them with Photo Paint. That's one of the nice things about Digital.

Well the first one is a bit faded (a little too bright) however the detail can easily be seen. The remainder seem a little dark...
I'll agree with you there Willis, but the photo you posted looks more washed out on my monitor than the first photo Chip posted does. Such is the nature of digital photos...everybody's camera, graphics card, and monitor are a little different. The only way to get the true color is to stick with one camera, one computer, and one printer, and calibrate them all so you have an accurate hard copy to snail-mail to us :rolleyes: :eek:

All of the photos do show the detail nicely though, and since it's impossible to get a photo to look good on everybody's computer, just get it to look good on your own monitor...they're your photos, after all, and we enjoy them no matter what they look like :) (within reason, of course :rolleyes: ).

The pics look a tad dark, and Willis' pics is a little too bright for my taste. Both versions are fine though.

Have you tried adjusting the White Balance on the camera? You may also be able to adjust brightness on the camera. Most of my Model Train pics come out a little dark (poor indoor lighting and I don't use a flash) I just adjust them with Photo Paint. That's one of the nice things about Digital.

All the photos have already been brightened between 10-30%--which is why yours washed.

I have a feeling, that the camera is adjusted to allow less light than the meter says, Like I said, the LCD looks perfect-- clear and bright, like Bob B. would do. It just doesn't download like it.

Like I said, the LCD looks perfect-- clear and bright, like Bob B. would do. It just doesn't download like it.
Hi Chip, yes I have the same problem, I've taken photos that look very good in the LCD display only to find them absolutely black when downloaded.
Even if you had the camera perfectly set up there's no guarantee of what it will look like on some one else's monitor. Photos taken outside in daylight seem come out alright no matter what.
Cheers Willis

Hi Chip, yes I have the same problem, I've taken photos that look very good in the LCD display only to find them absolutely black when downloaded.
Even if you had the camera perfectly set up there's no guarantee of what it will look like on some one else's monitor.

Isn't this technology stuff supposed to make our lives easier :confused: :rolleyes:

Chip nice work on your buildings. And the digital camera issue is one of everyone's problems I guess They say the more pixals the better the resolution. Don't know but if I could afford a better camera sure would like to find out !!!!

Back