Rock Ridge and Train City--Final Details

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Well, I'm getting close to committing to this one. I'm thanking of adding a granary, but don't know where. I have one industry that I haven't worked out. It has to work in a small mining town.

IF you look closely in the upper left you will see the track completes the loop. when staging is complete, that will be virtually dead track. But since I have to remodel the laundry area to put the staging in, it will be in use for a while.

Any last comments? Nit-picking is fine.

rockridge17d.gif

I like it Chip, looks like it will have a lot of things to do to keep you busy. Do you have any bench work done for it??

I like it Chip, looks like it will have a lot of things to do to keep you busy. Do you have any bench work done for it??

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I have the room built and If I can figure out how to get the furniture out, I'll start painting the backdrops this weekend. I will basically have to take apart the old layout to extract the furniture--then I have to find a place to put it. I have a huge sofa that is great--dual recliners, fold down table, and vibrating seat and back--but I can't give it away. Too expensive to throw away.

Chip,

Congradulations on a well drawn track plan. I have gotten to the point of drawing in buildings, but not all the smaller scenery details.

The Rock Ridge layout looks good, I think I'll see about stealing it for a lumber camp!

I don't think I would be happy with the way the yard interfaces with the mainline, but maybe I don't understand how you will be operating it. There doesn't seem to be a good connection with the passing siding to the left of the yard and the yard storage tracks.

Glenn

Very awesome, gonna need allot of trains cars to full those tracks! I can't wait to see some work & pictures!

WCWBrassHat There looks to be a hidden track there to the top left.

Chip,

Congradulations on a well drawn track plan. I have gotten to the point of drawing in buildings, but not all the smaller scenery details.

The Rock Ridge layout looks good, I think I'll see about stealing it for a lumber camp!

I don't think I would be happy with the way the yard interfaces with the mainline, but maybe I don't understand how you will be operating it. There doesn't seem to be a good connection with the passing siding to the left of the yard and the yard storage tracks.

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for your comment.

The yard connects with the sidiing at the top of the layout. The passing siding at the left goes off layout to staging (Virginia City). There is a closed loop--if you look closely at the top left, you can see a dotted line between the trees.

Chip,

Looks like an overall excellent plan. I do have a question though:

The spur in Rock Ridge leading to structures 9 & 10 (just above the coal mine tracks) - I see you have a runaround track on it. Is there an actual need for a runaraound, or is it simply leftover from an earlier plan?

[LATER EDIT:] A usage idea for #9: What about a small coaling tower (or wood pile?), water tank, etc. - locos will need to be re-provisioned for the return trip to train city and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip,

Looks like an overall excellent plan. I do have a question though:

The spur in Rock Ridge leading to structures 9 & 10 (just above the coal mine tracks) - I see you have a runaround track on it. Is there an actual need for a runaraound, or is it simply leftover from an earlier plan?

You know, I was debating that earlier this morning. I left it, but I'm not sure. The way things work, is that cars are left on the stub in the lower right of Rock Ridge just off the main. Now that runaround could actually be used for everything. However, if I left the runaround near the mine, I could use the branch line for building a longer train--not that it would fit on the exchange track.

[LATER EDIT:] A usage idea for #9: What about a small coaling tower (or wood pile?), water tank, etc. - locos will need to be re-provisioned for the return trip to train city and beyond.

It is certainly needed in the area. The Climax that will switch that area will need full service--ash, wood, water, sand. My current thinking is that there will be room if I get rid of the runaround. I'm still looking for another industry. I won't put one if it is not a fit.

Very good, Chip! Looks like a fun operation.
I agree with Ken, in that the upper run-around space would be better used as a service area considering you already have one in the lower right of Rock Ridge. Heck, a service area can be busy like an industry, with wood, parts, and "what's its" being delivered.

Chip,

I just noticed something else: Take a look at my snippet below - see the track section circled in blue? Maybe its just me, but the track areas I highlighted in red seem mighty close to the adjacent tracks. Possible clearance issues. Is that piece of track really necessary?

TC_track_clearance.gif

Chip,

I just noticed something else: Take a look at my snippet below - see the track section circled in blue? Maybe its just me, but the track areas I highlighted in red seem mighty close to the adjacent tracks. Possible clearance issues. Is that piece of track really necessary?

TC_track_clearance.gif

Nah. I just like the tool that allows you to pull tracks perfectly from the turntable. It would not have survived construction.

One thing I noticed that might add some interest is to move the company housing around a bit and extend that spur to connect with the brewery track. This would give you another option to get a train around. It would add a bridge with pleases the visitors and maybe get some of those tracks on that side in a tunnel or two. Dont know what your terrain is going to be or if those 2 tracks are on the same grade. Just a thought.

I know trains in tunnels really intrigues the onlookers!!

The previous version did just that. Very astute.

rockridge13a.gif

IN this case, I want to stick with a point-to-point. The layout will become part of a much bigger basement layout eventually.

It occurred to me I haven't posted the complete plan in a while. The right side is no different than the original in this post.

rockridge17e.gif

Real nice layout plan Chip I like it, looks like fun. Wish I had the guts to tear mine apart and start over. But then again who knows what I'll do on any given day.

13.gif
Willis

Ah yes my bad I remember seeing this now about the time I joined. You do have staging so the point to point looks better now!! I wasnt thinking about the big picture.

Back