roadbed track prep

Ballhog24

Woody
I've read a lot about how different people prepare their roadbeds for applications.

I've read quite a few that create concrete roadbeds to put their track on and ballast. Has anyone on here done that, and is it that much better to go to that extreme?

I know I wouldn't do that in my front yard, but might consider it for my back yard/courtyard layout that I hope to install next year 2006.

concrete roadbeds
Gee I believe it would depend on where you reside and if there is frost and a frost line, type of soil, rain fall, and how deep a subroadbed would be required. Being in HO I don't have that type of decision to make. But if I was into G and had to decide it would be a gravel base. There's a few factors that you should consider first.
13.gif
Willis

Mr Hog, I've used concrete roadbed for 14 years on 4 different RRs. In the midwest its great and movable and saves alot of work in the long run.
"We work very hard at having fun"!!
If your a beginner you may want to wait. after my 1st year I knew I was in this for the long hall and big time.
NTCGRR%5Cbnhm2%20006.jpg

It gives you a very nice modern mainline look.

Mr. Cozad,

So if I'm looking at your picture correctly, you laid the concrete bed, put the rails in, and then covered that in ballast? Any chance you have any pictures of a concrete bed exposed?

Back