RMC and model railroader magazines or another Model RAilroad related PUBLI....

BCK RR

When, what year how old were you, when you either purchased or received your first issue of either publication or another publication? I had a collection of both RMC and mr -model railroader- magazines? I had a collection of both RMC and mr .. the RMC's dated from 1969 - 2013 and mr dated from 1966 - 2013. This happens to be out of curiosity ..

BCK RR

I was 12, in 1967, when I got my first-ever edition of RMC in a hobbyshop. I was there to buy something not train-related, but when I saw the magazine rack with MR and RMC on it, I grabbed the August 1967 RMC and started leafing thru it. I was hooked! I put my original purchase items back on the the shelf and bought the magazine, that was the defining moment of what would become a lifelong interest in model trains.

Websters hobby shop here in phx 1974 don't remember the month I was 30 yrs old,picked up my 1st MR.
It had a picture of a PFM Great Northern R2 on the back cover........I was hooked lol

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day....I was told by a 30 year plus modeller in 2009 to "Get the bible , Model Railroader..Great read "...I have every issue but one plus several of their special issues since February 2010...Although it's primarily HO and to a lesser extent N scale based ...it's techniques , tips and inspiration cross all scales...and I REALLY look forward to collecting my monthly copy..even if it arrives about a month behind the US...so long as I get it , I'm happy....I did try Model Raillroad Craftsman for a while and occasionally get a British mag but I ALWAYS get MR...I love it....Cheers Rod...

I was in the drug store in my hometown (the after school hangout) and was checking out the latest issue of Popular Mechanics when a magazine I'd never seen before caught my eye. It was the January, 1970 issue of Model Railroader with John Allen's Gorre and Daphited on the cover. Now I'd liked trains for as long as I could remember but I didn't know there were magazines about them, let alone model trains! That was it! I now realized that model railroading was a serious and noteworthy endeavor to pursue for the rest of my life! I was hooked on an addiction that makes any illicit drug seem like child's play! The best part is I love it more as time goes by. Oh, I still have that issue of MR, minus the cover. A prized possession.

Bought my first MR in 1958 for $0.25 & also HO Model Trains. Any one here remember that one?

I was seven, it was 1957, and it was a Model Railroader. My library had many years and I was hooked. By 2000 and my divorce I had all but about 10 issues of MR and MRC will other stuff too, alas, divorce put and end to those.

I started getting both RMC and MR in about 1956. I was 10 at the time and had relatives working on the railroad so my interest in model railroad was, and still is big.

Got my first RMC when I was 7 years old. Got a subscription stating Jan 1968. Have subscribed off and on since then to either RMC, The Gazette, or MR.

Past 15 years have only bought mags occasionally, as it seems that most of them are just having repeats of past articles in one form or another. However, I do have collections of RMC dating back to the 1940's and MR back to its 4th issue in1934. I also have a fairly complete set of Mainline Modeler.

I started my subscription to MR with the April 1989 issue when I was 14. I've had it since and have a complete collection from present day to 1958.

Back