River or sea side dock/station

Looks better all the time, Maxi. Humor me and add some bracing to the back of that thing though. :)

See if you have some brass tubing or parts in the scrap box that us can use for ventilators and smoke stacks. Warehouses usually had that kind of stuff on the roof. If you want to really get creative, build a couple of skylights. These were common ways to get more light into the upper floors. You'll need some lights for the loading docks too. You can make them with a paper punch, some thin brass, and some thin brass wire if you want to make non working models. If you want working lights, look for a kit that you can find in most hardware stores for snap fastener repairs. The top part of the fastener makes a perfect lamp shade and you can string a grain of rice bulb though it and into the building. Use super glue to stiffen up the wires so you can use them as a bracket. I made the yard light in this picture with the top half of one of those fasteners:

FillingUpMedium.jpg

Thanks for the hints JIM, as for the skylights it will be a littlehard to place any, since that building is only 2 inches in depth, can't surely place them touching the front wall.

As I said there's still lot to be done in it, especially the windows,which I'll be leaving for last till they require alot of work but there's still the canopy to be done, door frames, painting, weathering, etc etc. but at least I proved myself so far that even with a piece of beaded foam I could build something that could be used :)

OK, here's an important question I need to ask help for. the rail part infront of the building will be too small, so I decided to cover the rails and make them enbeded in concrete, so to have maximum working area for vehicles too when there's no box cars. I tried this already on an old piece of track that I had, and the results where not so good and convincing. Is there anyone that can tell me how or were to find a Tutorial on how to do this thing correctly? I don't have a second chance on it, this will mean throwing away tracks after the plaster dries and the job is wrong.

Kindly help.

something like this.

Full_L_049.jpg

Don't use plaster. I know you like to stay on a budget but this will come out much better if you buy and use some sheet styrene. You need some .30 or .40 styrene, depending on the height of your rail. You cut stips for the outside of the rails to make pavement and then strips to fit inside the rail with enough clearance for a flangeway. You can then paint and weather the styrene to look like concrete or asphalt. I made these crossings with styrene and I think it's the kind of thing you're looking for:
Crossing1Medium.jpg

BTW, the picture you posted is a rubber mat grade crossing. They are fairly common here but wouldn't be what you need for a warehouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, the picture you posted is a rubber mat grade crossing

Now that U tell me I'm noticing it :)

but for the styrene sheets, are you saying to be used only on the inside of the rails or all around them? cause if all around the rails, it will be hard to model in curves.

Hehe, off topic, anyone notice the fake tree? Thats how we in Cali camouflage the radio antenna towers...

This is similar to what I would like to have

final4.jpg

Obviously my space is much smaller. The place has to be flat for cars and trucks to drive on, and also have trains coimming in one rails. I will also try to find a small to medium sized crane to put on the side, for loading/unloading ships.

This is approx how I imagine my place on the layout, narrower though, but all looks good

07reflectionssv6.jpg

This is how I explained I would like the rails to be.

10fishhousegm0.jpg

This is awesome.

Keyhaven9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any help about modeling this type of areas?

You cut stips for the outside of the rails to make pavement and then strips to fit inside the rail with enough clearance for a flangeway

Jim, I use Rails code 100 and so far I couldn't find any styrene sheets available locally, maybe they call them with another name, but so far nothing. I will try to use some kind of wood sheets that are used for RC planes, which are thin and soft to cut, then once cut in shape I will coat them with matt varnish, sand them and apply the paint I need on them. Otherwise I will have to use plaster to model that part.

BTW should I lay roadbed under the rails even though they will be covered, or no need to?

Josh, I did notice that cell phone/fake pine tree. It's probably the only tree in miles. :)

Maxi, you should be able to find plastic sheet that is close to code 100 size. The pavement doesn't have to be exactly level with the rail tops, just close enough. Balsa sheets will work also but you will need to bond them together to get the right thickness and then seal the wood so it will look like pavement when you paint it. You don't have to use roadbed in this area and it will actually make things worse in terms of trying to get pavement of the right height. Some modelers even use just the rails from flex track and spike them down so there are no ties in the way, You could use much thinner plastic or wood if you did this.

Can you imagine the size of furnace filter they had to use?:D
Oh wow, that just made my day.

I see them all the time, there's a Big Pine tree along the CA 60, near Beaumont CA, and a Palm Tree just outside of Palm Springs on the CA 62. I've see others too, but those are the most notable on my head.

Maybe I should take some pictures some time, and model one (or a few).

Oh wow, that just made my day.

I see them all the time, there's a Big Pine tree along the CA 60, near Beaumont CA, and a Palm Tree just outside of Palm Springs on the CA 62. I've see others too, but those are the most notable on my head.

Maybe I should take some pictures some time, and model one (or a few).

Sorry Maxitrains for hijacking your thread, but I have one more silly comment to make. Jbaakko, you would be modeling a fake tree? Somehow that just doesn't sound right! "Gosh, this tree still looks too real!"

It seems I have to call the Delta Force here after all this HiJacking :p

Any more suggestions for my dockside, to add with UP2CSX's helpful tips?

It seems that for now I'll be only finishing that part of the layout, Cash has ran out and for the time I have to continue with what I have in hand :(

Though I have to work out the throttle controllers, since the boards I made where small and roughly made, I will try to make a single board with 8 or 10 throttle controllers for all the parts of my layout.

I'm looking for a crane to put on the side of my dock, I was looking on Walthers site and I found a couple, but they don't tell you the sizes ( height, lenght and footprint ) does anyone have or saw any of the following and can help me with sizes, since my place is restricted I want to go to the right one.

I managed to find these two only, does anyone know their sizes?

Crane1

Crane2

If you know of any other "small" cranes could you kindly post the links!!

Thanks.

Hmm, thanks Josh, the 2nd link (crane) is not bad either, but I think its a little short to get things from a boat, your 4th link is one of the cranes I wanted to put in my links, so mostly its those 3 cranes which might fit in my layout.

Crane1

Crane2

Crane3

Any more cranes around :p ?

Does anyone has a hint of the sizes of the above mentioned cranes? :confused:

Ok, here's the progress so far, on teh building things slowed down a little, I just managed to cover the pillars in bricks, and I tried to work on the windows, tried printing some transperancies but the work ain't good, I need to create frames for the windows, cause its almost that which is the hardest part to make, I still need to fix and work on the doors, make a canopy and lightings.

building_8.jpg

Here are some pictures on the progress of the riverside/dock. Worked on the platform, and made some room for the crane which I have to purchase. The I have to make a retaining wall to cover all the sidings in the river. I still have to glue/fix the wooden strips to make the concrete floor.

dockside_3.jpg

dockside_4.jpg

dockside_5.jpg

dockside_4b.jpg

dockside_6.jpg

Back