RIVAROSSI Locomotive

milesjj

Hi, anyone out there in HO land ever had RIVAROSSI locomotive? Do you like them? I am looking to buy a older analog unit. Thanks for your time...:)

I have a 2002 model R5463 2 truck Heisler.
IMG_2360.JPG

I did put a Tsunami 2 sound decoder & minicube speaker in it, it is a very nice runner and I think it is a pretty quite, although this is the only steam power I have on my layout. The details are crisp & clean, and from taking it apart to install the decoder, seems too be well built. I would buy another one!...…...

I have a Rivarossi Two Truck Heisler also with Soundtrax Sound. It is a great runner and one of many steam locos on my layout. I also have a Rivarossi Mikado locomotive I have converted to a Northern Pacific W-3 Mike. it is old but runs well. I think highly of Rivarossi locomotives. I don't know that the quality changed much/any since Hornby took them over>

I have a Rivarossi Challenger that is a fixed object in my display cabinet. It has the large flange wheels. I have spent quite a bit of time on this model trying to make it a somewhat smooth running loco but it will either run fast or not at all. In addition to its poor running characteristics, it's noisy.

Hi, anyone out there in HO land ever had RIVAROSSI locomotive? Do you like them? I am looking to buy a older analog unit. Thanks for your time...:)
I own many AHM Rivarossi locomotives from the 1970s and 1980s. They have changed greatly through the years especially when AHM stopped importing them and again when Hornby bought them out. So it depends how "older" you are talking. I have a 4-4-0 from 1966 that still runs like a top. The quality went down from the late 1970s early 1980s to just OK, then they got better from there. Their latest offering a U28C from about three years ago was great, but I assume that is not the one you are looking at.

Any guess on how old these are??

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 194
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 159
Any guess on how old these are??
I remember when those came out. I believe they are OK locomotives. At the time everyone was on the "flywheels are the best thing ever" kick and these units don't have flywheels, so they didn't sell well. These have a unique drive system where the motor is mounted vertically on top of the rear truck. The worm that drives the gear on the wheel axle is directly mounted on the motor shaft.

How much are they asking for the locos? Ar they both powered or is one a dummy?

I have a GG-1 from the early 70's. Sort of large flanges, with traction tires, but still ran as of about 10 years ago. Might have gone faster than my old Bachmann Metroliner. I also bought a C425, prior to the Atlas versions came out. Didn't pull much.

I have two Heislers. Haven't run them in a while, but they're good runners from what I recall. They're both DCC. One came that way second hand, so I don't remember if it was an aftermarket add or not. I do remember the conversion I did wasn't fun.

I have an old (around 1980-ish) 4-6-4 Hudson that I have remotored and converted to DCC (not in that order). I really like the detail except for the cab because the motor sticks out the back. The old 3 pole motor just had to go.
I also have one of the U25C's from the latest run and IT IS AWESOME! Great detail, operation, and fantastic pulling power.
They are currently on a bit of a Hiatus from the US market, so support is not the easiest to come by right now.

I also had a Rivarossi 4-6-0 based on the real locomotive that Casey Jones died in. I converted it to DCC and it was a very smooth runner and made very little noise. I would not hesitate to buy another Rivarossi/Hornby loco as long as it doesn't have the deep (Pizza Cutter) flanges. I regret that I did not hold onto the ten wheeler although it's flanges where too deep.

When I first got back into the hobby I had purchased a large lot of locomotives that I fixed up and sold off as I defined what I wanted to do in the hobby. They were mostly diesel. The Rivarossi diesels ran smooth and quiet to the point where I almost kept a few, despite not being my chosen road or era.

I still have a pair of the new Rivarossi U25C engines. They are very nice, run very well, and can pull everything in the yard. That is unlike the old versions, that couldn't pull a fat kid on a tricycle.

I remember when those came out. I believe they are OK locomotives. At the time everyone was on the "flywheels are the best thing ever" kick and these units don't have flywheels, so they didn't sell well. These have a unique drive system where the motor is mounted vertically on top of the rear truck. The worm that drives the gear on the wheel axle is directly mounted on the motor shaft.

How much are they asking for the locos? Ar they both powered or is one a dummy?
$55--One powered one dummy... Thanks for the feedback..

Back