Rivarossi Big Boy HR2638 questions

rjstill

Purchased about 9 months ago and just recently got my mainline running so I could run it. Having an issue with rear truck derailing, just kind of flopping around as though it needs some downward pressure to keep it on the rails. Anyone have a similar problem? The service sheet that came with it (HRBS-475) indicates traction tires on both the front & rear drive wheels. Mine only has the tires on the front....is this correct? Pretty happy with it so far although it doesn't like Atlas crossings very well.

Hi I just checked my Rivarossi Big Boy and it has tension springs on the front and rear trucks pressing them down onto the track.
The rear truck spring is vertical and fits onto a bent arm which projects under the wheel at the front of the truck and connects to the pivot arm above.
The front truck spring is horizontal behind the truck pivot and if it is there it may give you an idea of what it looks like although the two are installed differently!
I don't know the part number or age of my loco except that it is factory digital and it has traction tyres only on the rear section on the wheels with the gear drive on the axle.
Hope this helps. Regards, Colin.

Thanks Colin. I will fiddle with the spring on the rear truck, that probably is the problem.

Merry Christmas!

Ron

Hi Ron.
A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you also.
The downward pressure on the truck is quite strong so this may be the problem.
The spring is quite small and not easily seen so it may be better to remove the truck to re-fit or fit a spring but be careful to note how it goes together as it is fairly complicated.
Good luck with the spring . Regards, Colin

Hi Ron.
A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you also.
The downward pressure on the truck is quite strong so this may be the problem.
The spring is quite small and not easily seen so it may be better to remove the truck to re-fit or fit a spring but be careful to note how it goes together as it is fairly complicated.
Good luck with the spring . Regards, Colin

Hi Colin,
Actually I think the downward pressure on the truck is not strong enough. I don't relish the idea of messing with that tiny spring (Big hands!). Working on other issues with layout now, will let you know if I get problem solved when I get back to Big Boy problem.

Regards,
Ron

Hi Ron.
It does look like a fiddly job !!!
Best of luck when you get round to it.
I am assembling some Branchline Trains coach kits at the moment and although I have small hands it still feels like I have "Fat finger syndrome" when it comes to assembling kits these days. Small tweezers and a magnifier are my friends.
Regards, Colin.

Sticking the point of an Exacto knife blade into the spring can sometimes be a great help in getting it properly positioned.

Sticking the point of an Exacto knife blade into the spring can sometimes be a great help in getting it properly positioned.
Yes that may help - the old Kadee spring trick !
If you can get the knife blade into the truck as it looks pretty tight.
Regards, Colin.

Back