Rivarossi 2-10-2 #6202 with B & O Tender re-build

Doc

Rivarossi Doc
Greetings All,
Please forgive my Ooops on this first post. I'm in the final stages of re-building this Rivarossi 2-10-2 and have reached a wall regarding the drive wheels. I have found that the axle shafts are worn bad at their cradle locations in the main frame. The frame shows no ware but the worn axles are letting the wheels travel up and down and cause a binding when the engine runs in forward and reverse. That resulted in a burned out winding in the motor. I have rewound the motor and cleaned and lubed all of the gears and moving parts but alas the 4 non geared wheels are shot. I was hoping that someone might have the original replacement wheels, this will require lots of prayers and a good lottery ticket I think, the next thing is, do you all know where I might find the part numbers for the wheels as that might allow me to find a supplier " Bowser " ect that might have some old parts for sale. That's plan "B". The next 23 plans might require a hands on fix or a complete substitution of the wheels. At the present I'm at a bit of a loss for a next step. I know that the real answer, plan z, might be that I have a 2-10-2 that is good only for parts, sad. As a die hard I really want help this sweet little B & O sing again. Thanks for giving a read and a hand if you can. I hope this is how a post should go and if not set me right.
Best Regards
Doc

I have no idea if this would work, but you might try Mantua drivers for their Mikado's. Try Yardbird Classic Trains. They may have enough Mantua Mike driver sets, including one with a bull gear that would work. Good luck with the project. An alternativemight be to remove the wheels from the old axles and replace the axles with steel rod of the appropriate diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Doc,

I can imagine how you feel. I have restored my old diesels and they were very important projects to me.

I know nothing about steamers, but I'm going to throw out something that crossed my mind reading about your dilemma.

My thought was to cut a piece of brass small enough to press into the wheel and to drill it to fit your axel.

I hope you find a solution because I remember the walls I hit doing my locomotives and how I felt.

I wish you well.

Do a search here in either For Sale or HO Scale listings. Quite a while back I posted the number for a man who was an AHM/ Rivarossi repair station in Connecticut. I spoke with him in person at a show and he said he still had drawers and cabinets full of parts. Worth a phone call at least.

Search under AHM Rivarossi Parts

Was this the thread?

Former AHM - Rivarossi authorised repair service. He still has a very large inventory including motors. Located in eastern Connecticut - Dick Arnold, 860-479-9195 during normal business hours until 8:00PM evenings.

Was this the thread?

Former AHM - Rivarossi authorised repair service. He still has a very large inventory including motors. Located in eastern Connecticut - Dick Arnold, 860-479-9195 during normal business hours until 8:00PM evenings.

Yes and thanks for digging it up. I was on my way out the door this morning when I posted the reply to his question. With hopes he has what Doc needs.

Greetings All,
It is so great not to have to reinvent the wheel, Opps. Thank you for all the input, directions, how to's and the phone number. I'm off on plan A and B. Once again thank you all.
Best of Regards
Doc'

A Rivarossi Success Story

Greetings all... I thought I would take a moment and share my success with this forum regarding our efforts in restoring this vintage Rivarossi 2-10-2 steamer. With your help and some effort here this 2-10-2 is once again pulling big loads on my layout.. In addition I wanted to share the contact information that I acquired during this project with you all. I found out that the first order of business is to have all the correct part #'s for the engine. That lead me to purchase the IHC/AHM/Rivarossi 1960 to 1980 " Parts Catalog & Scratchbuilders Bible " from a retired Rivarossi tech...Thanks Tom. From there is was a matter of finding the defective parts in the engine, which proved to be the Metal Underframe (P-250-008) as well as the drive wheels, Front & Rear ( P250-013 ), Second & Fourth ( P250-014 ) and the Blind Gear Driver ( P250-015 ). After these parts where found and installed as well as a bell ( P120-037 ) and Kadee couplers she is proudly pulling loads once again. Here are several of the shops and owners who helped me. Dick Arnold in Connecticut... 860-479-9195 & 860-995-2268 Leave a message and he will call you. Jack Demain at " Amer's Hobby Shop " 6010 Market St. Youngstown, Ohio 44512 phone 330-758-2810 he like for you to send a listing of what you need in the mail. Tom Metts at "Broadman Hobby Center" 330-758-1522. Dick Arnolds supplies are limited but he can direct you. This site picclick.com as well as ebay are great sources for old trains for parts as well as new parts. If anyone needs part numbers for Rivarosis please let me know. Once again thank you all and this forum for helping me be successful. My Best Regards.
Doc'

Attachments

• Rivarossi 2-10-2a.jpg
    Rivarossi 2-10-2a.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 307
  • Rivarossi 2-10-2b.jpg
    Rivarossi 2-10-2b.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 330
Your welcome Louis, thanks for the earlier encouragement. If I was to do a re-motor for the Rivarossi do you know of a source for 5 pole motors ? Thanks again... Doc'

Hey Doc,

My experience with motors is limited to Tyco, Life-Like and Lionel. All of which I have been able to find on eBay. I usually find cosmetically poor locomotives and strip them for parts.

If I were you I would start a new thread asking where to get those motors. I have read in other posts some of the experts talking about re-motoring locomotives. I am sure one of them could help you.

That locomotive looks great by the way!

Back