Rio Grande Heritage Unit

Well, since Southern is one road UP didn't swallow, I doubt it. Unless NS does a heritage unit. (doubt it)

Fortunately, or unfortunately, there already is (was?) a Southern painted heritage unit. I think it was done as part of operation Lifesaver.

I personally don't like it as 1. Its a LOW hooded diesel, and 2. Its a LOW hooded diesel. 3. Painted in the "OLD" southern scheme of green with a stripe and not in the tuxedo colors, which to me is classic Southern.

I think they could have done better with one of the many high hoods left on the system which are pure Southern.

Carey.I'll gladly give an AMEN to that. To see one of those new diesels in Southern paint with a low nose,just don't look right. Also,I hope they don't try it in L&N colors,unless it's the Yellow&Grey scheme,other wise no.William.

Cjcrescent said:
Fortunately, or unfortunately, there already is (was?) a Southern painted heritage unit. I think it was done as part of operation Lifesaver.

I personally don't like it as 1. Its a LOW hooded diesel, and 2. Its a LOW hooded diesel. 3. Painted in the "OLD" southern scheme of green with a stripe and not in the tuxedo colors, which to me is classic Southern.

I think they could have done better with one of the many high hoods left on the system which are pure Southern.

Are you talking about this??
ns46101200xjpg6220019ic.jpg

The unit should be in Byers Canyon about now. I hope someone was able to get over there and get some shots.

Talking to the engineers, there isn't much chance of it being a lead unit. They really don't like the "cockpit" design of the engineers position.

The normal assignment for the D&RGW heritage unit is running between Denver & Pueblo, but it runs between 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. I've caught it in Colorado Springs several times - always at night. Well after 6 months of chasing it around I finally caught it outside the yards and in the sun light! It was assigned to the ski train a couple weeks ago. Here she is approaching the 2.5% grade headed toward tunnel #1 just past the Coal Creek (Highway 72) bridge.
makingthegrade2.jpg

Back