Ring Engineering and CVP Product's Air Wire Systems

N

NP2626

I have watched one video from Ring Engineering about their Rail Pro System and am interested in these systems. I had thought that these systems eliminated the need for power in the tracks and maybe this would be an option, just don't know enough at this time. So far, what I do understand is that Ring's methods of reaching options in their hand Held Controller is far simpler than programing CV in my Digitrax; or, other DCC systems! It doesn't appear these systems are vary popular and It would be great if someone could explain exactly how the system works. Any body out there using this system? FSUdadof3, you out there? Or, hows about you, Rico? Here is a video that is a review of the Ring Systems:

Last edited by a moderator:
Railpro is basically just radio control. No signals go thru the track. Only voltage.
I run a combo of Railpro and NCE DCC on the same tracks with no issues. I even set up one loco to run off of a lipo battery in a trailing boxcar. No track power necessary.

Roofintrash, To have sound, do you need a DCC sound decoder in the loco; or, does Ring supply Decoders (Receivers) that will have sound? Also, to go "Dead Rail", could you give me a "Ball Park" cost per loco, Ie cost of receiver w/sound or Sound Decoder and LiPo battery set-up? Thanks!

The sound decoders are a little under $100. You can download the sounds you want from rings website as the receiver modules don't come preloaded. The biggest cost for using lipo's is the charger and the choices are endless. The small batteries that will fit in HO cars are $5-$15. I'm big into anything R/C so I had all the stuff to do it just laying around.
You can find a great deal of Railpro info here https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php

So, a basic cost for the ring system would be $399.99 for a basic starter kit and $99.99 for a "Locomotive Module with sound and $59.99 for same; but, without sound.

So, a basic cost for the ring system would be $399.99 for a basic starter kit and $99.99 for a "Locomotive Module with sound and $59.99 for same; but, without sound.
I'm wondering, since controls come from a wi-fi connection (Rail Pro) if the track power has to be PWM, or just generic 12-14v DC.

I'm wondering, since controls come from a wi-fi connection (Rail Pro) if the track power has to be PWM, or just generic 12-14v DC.
I would say just generic DC. My battery operated test loco runs just fine, and as I understand it, DCC is AC voltage and the Railpro modules run just fine on that too.

I would say just generic DC. My battery operated test loco runs just fine, and as I understand it, DCC is AC voltage and the Railpro modules run just fine on that too.
It is probably no more problem to rectify DCC's square wave to DC, than the curved wave of AC. Possibly easier. And as the reason for the square wave is the ability to vary the lengths of the horizontal sections in order to send the digital signals, via them to the DCC decoder would not be needed if running purely as a power source, even of less importance.

My understanding is it's a 2 way radio control, not Wi-Fi. i.e. the radio provides both control by the operator but feedback concurrently. Hence the ability to consist speed matching multiple locos without any input from the operator. The track or batteries supply power only, the decoders do everything else.

Yes, it is an R/C system and not Wi-Fi.. Also, what does PWM mean. I would assume PWM means Pulse Width Modulation, however, you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME anything!

The Air Wire 900 System is slightly different in that power is not feed to the track and the power comes from a battery either in the locomotive or hauled behind in a railroad car. So, this is a "DEAD RAIL" System. I couldn't discern in the small amount of time I looked at the Air Wire 900 System, whether any of their decoders (Receivers) come with sound. Their newest, Top of the Line Receiver, "G4X" costs $159.00 and in a paragraph states that it has a DCC Booster suitable for driving any brand of DCC Sound Decoders. The Air Wire 900 System offers two different types of Hand Held Controllers. The basic one is called a T1300-OPS FLYER @ $129.00, a larger and more complicated Controller is called a T5000-OPS FLYER and sells for $159.00. Batteries range in price from $75.00 to $114.00. I would assume these are batteries for powering the locomotive. The Air Wire 900 System has many Accessories from Wiring harness to battery chargers. The Air Wire 900 System is a product of CVP Products. I didn't find any real in depth videos of the CVP Air Wire 900 System. However, this does show one of the controllers:
There is much more to learn about both the CVP Air Wire 900 System and the Ring Engineering Rail Pro Systems than I have mentioned here! Just from observations, it appears to me that the Air Wire 900 System is designed for Garden Railroads, more than the smaller gauges.

I believe Railpro is indeed radio and as Toot pointed out and the loco does send feedback to the throttle. You can check current draw and motor temp on the screen, pretty cool. The locos also talk to themselves and keep track of which one is working harder or not as hard which is why consisting is not required.
Railpro also has the ability to add or delete sounds over the internet like coupler stretch, brake wheel set or release, well pretty much anything you can think of. If you dig around the website you’ll find samples of the sounds and I think Ring is working on smaller modules for N scale too.
The throttle itself is a bit larger than most but can still be held with one hand and it’s very easy to learn.

*well heck I just watched the above video and he showed pretty much what I said but I’ll leave it be.

Last edited:
At this point in my life, I would not consider the purchase of either of these systems as I am to heavily involved in DCC. Where I to start over, as I have talked about getting into Sn3 I would be interested in the Ring Engineering system.

Yes, it is an R/C system and not Wi-Fi.. Also, what does PWM mean. I would assume PWM means Pulse Width Modulation, however, you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME anything!
Yes, correct. Seems just about all electric motors are controlled in that manner just about, from desk fans and up.

I do know that Railpro can run on a DCC system with no problems because the control signals don't use the rails unlike a DCC system. However they can still suffer from dirty track like DCC. The Ring Engineering power supply also acts as a signal repeater.

In my estimation the problem with both DC and DCC is the power being in the track. I can keep my track clean enough, no problem! My layout is now 32 years old. Power continuity through the point rails in my atlas switches is the big problem! Atlas switches and how the power is routed to the point rails is their week link, as the get older.

Yes, Keep Alives would greatly help me out. Most of my decoders are from pre-Keep Alive times. Knowing where to connect the Keep Alives with these decoders is the problem! I wish the manufacturers would provide solder lands; or, plugs for connecting Keep Alives. It's my switchers that have problems with this! Therefore finding space under-the-hood for a Keep Alive is difficult, too!

Just received this in an email last week. Haven't checked it out yet, but it does look interesting.
2020-02 Ad RailPro PBM.jpg

Back