Right sound for VO-1000?

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
What would be the right sound decoder "sound" for the Stewart Baldwin VO-1000? Would it be the generic 1st generation decoders?

I don't know if it's something you'd be interested in, but Bowser-Stewart is releasing a sound chassis this fall for the VO-1000. It's a powered chassis with a LokSound DCC decoder programmed for the correct sounds. List is $199.95, I'll be taking reservations at $159.96.

I've heard the LOK Sound for the VO-1000 and it's excellent. I believe you need to make a slight modification to the frount weight for the speaker, but it is relaively straight forward. A guy that owns one of the layouts I operate on has two of them. Sweet running locos.

I've heard the LOK Sound for the VO-1000 and it's excellent. I believe you need to make a slight modification to the frount weight for the speaker, but it is relaively straight forward. A guy that owns one of the layouts I operate on has two of them. Sweet running locos.

From what I was told, Lok and an employee from Bowser actually found a VO-1000, were able to have if fired up, and recorded all of the sounds that are on the decoder, so it should sound pretty good.

The new units I'm referring to come from the factory as a powered chassis with the decoder and speaker installed. All you have to do is swap out your shell (and use the old chassis for another project or sell it on eBay). The price may seem a little steep, but I believe Lok Sound decoders themselves sell for $139, so considering this is a complete powered chassis with the decoder and speaker already installed, it really isn't a bad deal.

This is a photo of a factory sound unit for FTs, but you get the idea:

691-1210S.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way I can listen to the FT's? That's a mighty big investment if I were to do something like that.. if it's not availble easily online, could you, nate, fire one of these up and post a youtube movie of all its sounds, from startup, revving through the RPMs, the horn and bell, and whatever else please? I'm seriously interested. How much are those at your hobby shop?

Any way I can listen to the FT's? That's a mighty big investment if I were to do something like that.. if it's not availble easily online, could you, nate, fire one of these up and post a youtube movie of all its sounds, from startup, revving through the RPMs, the horn and bell, and whatever else please? I'm seriously interested. How much are those at your hobby shop?

I don't have any sound units in stock but I will be ordering more soon. They are listed on my website here: http://www.sushob.com/home.php?cat=2218 I will be adding the new models shortly.

I'm planning to order a Zephyr system just for doing demos and videos, so I will be working on them over the next several weeks. I'll be sure to post links on the forum when I do. I have to do some experimenting to see how to get the best video from my somewhat sub-par equipment.

Loksound had sound bits on their site. the VO-1000 sounds should be there, and I think Loksound decoders can be re-programmed.

Thanks for the info on the LOK decoder. That's alittle more then I wanted to spend. I'm not that anal about the sound, so maybe I'll just stick with the soundtraxx generic sound. Which one of their sounds would best fit the VO-1000?; 1st gen w/ one horn, Alco, etc?

A guy that owns one of the layouts I operate on has two of them. Sweet running locos.

I love the way the engine runs, it's very smooth at low speeds. With clean track and wheels, and CRC 2-26 on the track, it creeps like molasses on a cold New England day.

sound pretty good.

The new units I'm referring to come from the factory as a powered chassis with the decoder and speaker installed. This is a photo of a factory sound unit for FTs, but you get the idea:

691-1210S.JPG

The LOK sound rep was selling them for $109. The demo he had of the VO-1000 was set-up exactly like the one you pictured, and my friend did the install that way.

I think the problem you might have with using a generic SoundTrax is size. The LOK Sound decoder is pretty small and it uses a dual speaker that is narrow.

The idea of buying a new one and switching the shell and reselling the old on on EBay is a good one. Probably you will end up with the least expenditure in the long run and have the best option on your layout.

Back