Ride or watch Grand Canyon Railway?

malibu43

Random question - We are looking at taking a family trip to the Grand Canyon the first weekend in April and are probably going to take the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and back. The day we are planning on going is one of the days they operate their steam locomotive on one of the trains. My first instinct was to obviously book a trip on the steam train. My kids are 9 and 6 and have not seen a full size steam locomotive run, so I thought this would be really fun. My wife wanted to get first class tickets, but they only have coach available for the 9:30 train that's pulled be the steam locomotive.

But then I was wondering if we'd actually have a better chance at seeing the locomotive run if we bought tickets for the 10:30 train and just showed up early to watch the 9:30 train depart with the steam locomotive. Are there good spots to watch the train depart from or near the station? Or what if we stick with getting tickets for the 9:30 train - do you see the train pull into the station, or is it just static by the time you arrive? Riding behind a steam locomotive may not be as fun as watching one go by...

Any input from folks familiar with the operation is appreciated. What's the best way to experience the steam locomotive?

If you have the flexibility for time, with those kids, by all means go early enough to let them experience the locomotive, it's noises, smells, and it's motion. Then, I would think, they'd appreciate what's going on up front as the consist lurches into motion when you're all aboard.

See if you can get them waaaayyy uppp there into the cab for just a couple of minutes. Should be a thrill. Especially when the fireman stamps open the firebox viewing port for a look-see.

Back