Reviving my interest - installing sound

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, its been about a year since I touched any of my train related stuff, but Ive got the itch back now. I have alot of Tsunami equipped loco's that I installed myself (8-40CW's, SD40-2's n the like). Im looking into 'sounding and lighting' more of my loco's and wondered where Tsunami stands on the chart these days? If I go with a different brand decoder, is it a real pain to speed match? Tsunami is all Ive ever worked with, so Im not sure if there may be better out there...

The Tsunami's you (and I) have will be of the 1st edition variety and now discontinued, A few still around on ebay and maybe LHS's. They now offer 2 types, Econami, as the name suggests, a cheaper line. The latest iteration of Tsunami (released in July) is called Tsunami2, with decoders specific to prototype manufacturers e.g. Alco, EMD, GE etc with the individual prime mover sounds included and selectable by CV (Econami is similar but much more restricted in choices e.g. Alco diesel, only the 244). Some of the F button functions have been rearranged. Check them out at Soundtraxx's site. Haven't heard any yet first ear (in my case 2nd ear) so don't know how much if any, they are improved. Athearn have, in their late releases of their RTR line, begun to offer Tsunami sound there as well, but they are a limited sounds version, based on Tsunami1 (for want of an official term), not Econami, and would seem to be very similar to Bachmann's Tsunami "Sound Value" offering.

There are a few in my club that use ESU Loksound exclusively and the sound from them is great, leaves the old Tsunami behind.

Back