Reversing Loops

ClintOHenry

I have 2 main lines. I am considering a reversing loop at the end for both tracks but i want the trains to end up on the track they started on. This would mean 2 crossovers and 2 separate reversing "machines". I can't find a video of that setup on line. What problems will I encounter? Is the Digitrax AR-1 a good product?

This would mean 2 crossovers and 2 separate reversing "machines".
i don't think you necessarily need 2 separate reversers unless you expect to have two trains enter/exit both loops at the same which may not be possible with the crossovers.

both reverse sections would be wired together and a train straddling any of the 4 ends would cause both reverse section polarities to switch. This would not affect a 2nd train already in the reverse section

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I would not go with the AR-1 since it uses mechanical relays.

Check out http://www.dccspecialties.com/products/powershield_x.htm

Sharing a AR unit can be done as mentioned.

A train already IN the reverse section will be fine.

It's only when entering/exiting the reverse section(s) that you could have issues.

A train entering a reverse section will set the AR unit to one polarity.

A train exiting a reverse section will set the AR unit to the opposite polarity.

And it naturally cannot do both at the same time.

So, for example, if you had a train just sitting in the reverse section another train could enter the other reverse section and stop. Then the first train could leave the reverse section.

Depending on the track arrangement you may be able to switch the polarity of the reverse section in sync with the turnout position and dispense with AR units.

Frederick

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with fcwilt on this one. I got reversers with mechanical relays and i would prefer the faster action of a solid state reverser. By the way, i have a double main line with two cross overs and two autoreversers for the ends of the layout (dogbone). At some point i mixed up the wiring and could not figure out why trains shorted when they shouldn't. A thread later, some good discussion with Iron Horseman and some experimentation later i (hopefully) figured out the wiring and it now works.

I checked out website from fcwilt, looks good. Would it be possible for you to share your wiring diagram? It sounds like what I want. Thanks.

I think you should consult the specific wiring instructions / diagrams that are supplied with the auto-reverse unit that you will get. I am using a totally different brand that has a mechanical relay.

Adding to what Frederick (fcwilt) mentioned, if you do not intend to run more than one train at the same time, maybe you could do with one unit instead of two, more experienced members can add more to this.

Maybe this will help. As stated above, no more than one train at a time can go through the turnout/crossover section, as they would physically collide. If a second train is already in the loop it would have to be stationary, and that doesn't affect the auto-reversing at all. Therefore, you would only need one auto-reversing module and can wire both tracks in the loop on that same reversing circuit.

loop.jpg

Back