Reverse Loop(s) in my Staging Tracks

beiland

I have 3 staging track groups (of 6 tracks each) on 3 staging decks under my main train decks in my new layout. Originally these wer all going to be dead end tracks that the trains would back down the external helix, come to a 3-way Peco switch that would direct the train to one of those 3 different areas.

But I had to go and complicate things adding a bridge structure across the entrance to the train room, and allowing 3 of the staging tracks to communicate (connect) with one another across that entranceway bridge. That introduced the fact that I would now have 3 potential reverse loops.
This is the suggestion one one way to wire my staging areas up,...

Wiring up my staging tracks
I believe my final question comes down to where to place the insulating joints for the staging area reversing loops,....before the 3-way entrance turnout, or in the tracks exiting that 3-way??

I went back to this page of the discussions, https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/32990?page=16 and noted this,....
I've based my comments on the diagram shown below. As I understand it, the 3-Way switch feeds the loop tracks in the staging yard. You would gap where the red lines are shown. The ENTIRE yard, highlighted in yellow, would be fed through ONE PSX-AR. When required, the AR would switch the polarity on the entire yard, highlighted in yellow. The polarity on the rest of the layout, including the Helix, would NEVER change. Only the yard fed through the AR.
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/32990?page=16#comment-382738
Michael A
AutoreverseBrianStagingLoop-650x849.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I like this idea that the entire staging areas (all 3 sections, all staging tracks) would be controlled by the one AR. And if this were the case why wouldn't I place the start of the reversing section (insulated jointers) just prior to the 3-way switch, rather than on those two legs leading off the 3-way reaching over to the wall sides??

Then my other question here is what wiring questions should I be concerned about with including (or not including) the Peco 3-way turnout in-side the reversing section/loop?

...from another forum

trace your outside rail all the way around the staging loop.

If you incorporate the 3-way in your reversing section, you've directly connected the left rail to the right rail. You must gap after the 3-way.

I believe I see what you are saying,...I would create a potential short across the 2 entry tracks belonging to the 3-way switch by having the continuous looping bus wires, wired directly into the 3-way's diverging tracks.?

I guess what I was imaging was that the double insulation joiners at the entry to the 3-way switch would counter this? I think I see where I was wrong now,...warned you I was electrically challenged.....ha..ha

So now what do I do about the central staging area that originates off the central leg of the 3-way,...that has NO reversing loop(s) ?

Gap both rails of the left and right diverging routes of the 3-way, and feed that entire yard from your reverser. Leave the 3-way, and the yard it's straight route feeds, fed normally

That would seem to be a little strange to route that helix bus wire down the central staging tracks while using a different bus wire for the other sides,...not impossible, just strange.

I had thought that if I could get ALL of the staging tracks on the same bus wire, I could rig a single power switch to shut off all staging tracks (and locos stored there), until I was ready to withdraw a train from staging,...then power them up only when needed??

PS: Couldn't I just treat that central portion just like one of the side portions,...wire its bus wires in series with one of the sides,...and provide the double insulated jointers at its entrance track??

So now what do I do about the central staging area that originates off the central leg of the 3-way,...that has NO reversing loop(s) ?
What is wrong with leaving it on the same power as the point side of the turnout? Or you could just make it its own power block. That would be a good option if there is going to be lots of locomotives sitting there. That way you could kill that power when not in use.

My thoughts were why not make all 3 staging areas/zones operate on the same bus lines,...rather than have 2 different bus lines down here?

Then I would only need one master power switch to turn off all 3 areas,...rather than several?

I may be late to the party on this one, but for the reversing loop, why not just isolate a short section on one side of the staging area and have that set up for your reversing section. Make it just long enough to accommodate your longest anticipated consist of locos. That would simplify your wiring a great deal by having the other two leads of your wye, and the bulk of your staging area, run off of the same bus??

Attachments

• AutoreverseBrianStagingLoop-650x849.jpg
    AutoreverseBrianStagingLoop-650x849.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 127

Back