Revell BigBoy detail parts?

jvencius

When the in-laws were here (Cheyenne, WY) visiting, my F.I.L. was REALLY impressed with the UP Big Boy #4004 that's in the park so I want to build him a static model of one for Christmas. I picked up one of the Revell plastic kits of that loco and now I'm in the market for some detail parts since the plastic kit is OK, but you can tell it only cost 20 bucks. I've already seen a few places where I can improve it (decals to model #4004 vs. the 4006 ones that came in the kit, replacing the molded on grab rails along the boiler with wire and stanchions, etc...) but if there was a source out there for nicer wheels and other add-ons, I'd be interested. I'm not looking to make this a show-quality model, but I'd like it to strike a balance between detail and cost. FWIW, I've been modeling off/on for ~15 years, but haven't done much lately so I'm out of the loop for quality parts makers/sources.

Welcome to the forum!

As for detail parts, Cal Scale, Details West and Detail Associates is where I'd look.

Does anyone know if there's a list of Cal-Scale (or other manufacturers, actually) detail parts that are appropriate for a BB? I suppose I could give Cal-Scale a call, but so far I haven't found a phone number direct to them...

Hehehehe--Ebay to the rescue again! While I'd prefer to go local, if at all possible, I snagged a (discontinued, so they're sort of hard to come by) Cal-Scale #2009 detail kit for the BigBoy/Challenger yesterday on Ebay. It's got lots o' stuff, and it saves having to buy the parts one-by-one. I'll still go local for paint, wire, tubing and a small amount of sheet stock, but getting that kit will save A LOT of hassle so now I can spend more time getting the details right.:D

Back